Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've never really looked into it , but with financing they're always mentioning these budgets of 160 million dollars, but where does the main bulk of that go on big huge movies?

Like how do you actually spend 160 million dollars?

Or are their budgets for things like Transformers artifically inflated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Feeding, housing and transporting a large crew is expensive for one thing, especially if you're going to be anywhere remote. TF4 has stuff shot in Wulong National Park, for example, which basically requires setting up a small town for everyone to stay in plus generators powering the whole thing. Light and camera rentals is several million on their own. CGI on effects pictures requires a shitton of man hours. Then there's obv. stuff like the salaries of big stars and directors as well. Tons of expenses and it all adds up fast.

More often public budgets of big pictures are estimated very low.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also people have posted in here a lot about how studios hide expenses for other movies in the budget to manipulate the stated earnings or income for a successful movie, like basically perpetrating outright fraud by writing confusing budgets and keeping weird ledgers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I've never really looked into it , but with financing they're always mentioning these budgets of 160 million dollars, but where does the main bulk of that go on big huge movies?

Like how do you actually spend 160 million dollars?

Or are their budgets for things like Transformers artifically inflated?

Sit through the end credits. Look at how many loving people there are. Then imagine that they are all getting paid for weeks and months at studio rates (much higher than indies) and if shooting anywhere on location, as others have mentioned, they need food, transport and accommodation. Think of the sets that need to be built and dressed. The cost of huge VFX/CGI shots. Then fees of millions for the writers, director, lead cast, and producers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jack Gladney posted:

Also people have posted in here a lot about how studios hide expenses for other movies in the budget to manipulate the stated earnings or income for a successful movie, like basically perpetrating outright fraud by writing confusing budgets and keeping weird ledgers.

Hollywood accounting. Basically movies always cost more than they report they do and they never make as much as it's reported they do. They do of course, but when you have countless people getting points and backends it's in the studio's best interest to make sure that whatever happens, the movie turns in a very small profit. Cue that document that 'proves' that one of the Harry Potter movies made exactly $0.00.

It was also the source of disupte between Peter Jackson and New Line. New Line talk for years about how succesful Lord of the Rings was, and then when it's time to pay Peter Jackson decide that as it so happens, they really didn't turn a profit after all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I seem to remember reading the He-Man movie was originally a script for a different franchise -- or a different movie's script was originally a He-Man spec. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I seem to remember reading the He-Man movie was originally a script for a different franchise -- or a different movie's script was originally a He-Man spec. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It was originally gonna be a movie of Jack Kirby's New Gods.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jack Kirby's New Gods.

Makes sense. I was thinking comic books, but I couldn't quite come up with it.

Thanks.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

DrVenkman posted:

Hollywood accounting. Basically movies always cost more than they report they do and they never make as much as it's reported they do. They do of course, but when you have countless people getting points and backends it's in the studio's best interest to make sure that whatever happens, the movie turns in a very small profit. Cue that document that 'proves' that one of the Harry Potter movies made exactly $0.00.

It was also the source of disupte between Peter Jackson and New Line. New Line talk for years about how succesful Lord of the Rings was, and then when it's time to pay Peter Jackson decide that as it so happens, they really didn't turn a profit after all.

It's also called: Normal Accounting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

NeuroticErotica posted:

This is true, but Hollywood seems more two-faced because they are constantly advertising both the budget of films and how much money they make in the box-office.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

NeuroticErotica posted:

Guy who works for movie studio downplays shady poo poo movie studios do, to the surprise of everyone.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Guy who works for movie studio downplays shady poo poo movie studios do, to the surprise of everyone.

I wish I worked for a movie studio.

But to elaborate - the term "Hollywood Accounting" came from an entertainment reporter who never had looked at a balance sheet. I'm sure that even the iPhone is an on-paper loser for Apple so they can claim tax deductions/credits/etc. It's a term that bloggers love to throw around because it makes them seem more of an insider, but there's no special techniques or tricks that any other corporation isn't.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

This is true, but Hollywood seems more two-faced because they are constantly advertising both the budget of films and how much money they make in the box-office.

And there's nobody who's suckered into developing the iPhone with the promise of net profits that never materialize.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

http://youtu.be/bHL91HQzhuc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

General Electric hasn't made a profit in America for a couple decades now (according to their tax return).

Also, here's a list of ten companies that aren't movie studios

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NeuroticErotica posted:

I wish I worked for a movie studio.

But to elaborate - the term "Hollywood Accounting" came from an entertainment reporter who never had looked at a balance sheet. I'm sure that even the iPhone is an on-paper loser for Apple so they can claim tax deductions/credits/etc. It's a term that bloggers love to throw around because it makes them seem more of an insider, but there's no special techniques or tricks that any other corporation isn't.

The difference is the number of third-party participants. Come on, you know this stuff.

The music industry is probably similar.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

The difference is the number of third-party participants. Come on, you know this stuff.

They call it the Seagal Effect.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

therattle posted:

The music industry is much worse, if for no other reason than there is a much higher percentage of people with stupid money who you can bamboozle.

That said, it happens with all accounting. I don't think the percentage is that much higher in Hollywood, it's just that there are thousands of agreements for each movie where you can fool the unwary, coupled with higher public exposure in general.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

therattle posted:

therattle posted:

I think you're discounting how many outside participants in other industries. Yes, music is rife with it, but so is tech and probably a ton of other ones.

It's funny the Freakazoid clip got posted, it's such an heirloom of its time. A lot of kids step off the bus thinking they know this little insider tip, when nobody's gotten a deal like that in well over a decade besides the biggest of the big.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Probably easiest these days to just get upfront fees and not worry about residuals messing up contract negociations?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Residuals are determined by the union negotiations.

If you're a huge, huge, huge name in the industry or held a hot commodity you could negotiate points (gross or net) in addition. However as the money pool continues to shrink, the chances of this are less likely. They're practically non-existent today, already.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that it's easier for the general public to see that "Hollywood" accounting is two-faced because the "budget" of films is flaunted about so much.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Lars von Trier often uses a technique I quite like, particularly while filming conversations, where he'll "cut" to a shot of the same person from the same angle (essentially creating the affect that a few moments of time have been skipped). Rather than taking me out of the film, it actually seems natural and draws me into the conversation more. What is technique called, and are there other directors who use it well?

edit: I guess this is just a jump cut? Still I'm interested in other examples outside of Trier and the French New Wave

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 6, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Lars von Trier often uses a technique I quite like, particularly while filming conversations, where he'll "cut" to a shot of the same person from the same angle (essentially creating the affect that a few moments of time have been skipped). Rather than taking me out of the film, it actually seems natural and draws me into the conversation more. What is technique called, and are there other directors who use it well?

edit: I guess this is just a jump cut? Still I'm interested in other examples outside of Trier and the French New Wave

Just rewatched The Host (Korean monster movie, not the pseudo-Twilight bomb) and there's a sequence of a kid listing all the foods he's going to eat once he gets out of this sewer/monster's lair and they do this. It's pretty cute.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You mean the technique that KFC has been using for their commercials lately?

I hate that poo poo.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cage posted:

I hate that poo poo.

Those commercials just make it seem like there have been 50 takes and they Frankenstein some of them together. There are like 3 cuts in the span of 3 words. gently caress whatever that technique is.

Not to mention its one of those like weird fake blog to no one kind of setups, too. Those commercials are putrid.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The way he makes it work is, he asks the actors to do several, wildly different takes. One take they play it straight, another like a comedy, yet another while they are angry etc.

Then he splices it all together.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Cage posted:

I hate that poo poo.

it's also way overused by Youtubers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Here's a bit of the Breaking the Waves commentary track talking about this (one of the commentators calls it a "brutal" style).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

it's also way overused by Youtubers.

That's just like, regular editing though...
Not really the same technique that Lars von Trier is using.
If those youtubers could get rid of the cut seamlessly, most of them would...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Snak posted:

That's just like, regular editing though...
Not really the same technique that Lars von Trier is using.
If those youtubers could get rid of the cut seamlessly, most of them would...

No, when they do it to seem quirky, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQB1QQbmYMI#t=15

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
It's a jump cut. What the gently caress is there to argue about? Trier used this technique before the majority of people even knew what the internet was.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Trump posted:

It's a jump cut. What the gently caress is there to argue about? Trier used this technique before the majority of people even knew what the internet was.
Not arguing, just having a conversation?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

No, when they do it to seem quirky, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQB1QQbmYMI#t=15

Oh, yeah. I actually really dig that for some reason. "My Drunk Kitchen" uses that a lot and I think it works great there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trump posted:

The way he makes it work is, he asks the actors to do several, wildly different takes. One take they play it straight, another like a comedy, yet another while they are angry etc.

Then he splices it all together.

What's the movie were Willem Dafoe plays a cop and they do this for one scene where he's questioning the main character and it alternates between takes where Dafoe is being really friendly, then hella suspicious and accusatory? (At least I think it's Willem Dafoe).

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Skwirl posted:

What's the movie were Willem Dafoe plays a cop and they do this for one scene where he's questioning the main character and it alternates between takes where Dafoe is being really friendly, then hella suspicious and accusatory? (At least I think it's Willem Dafoe).

American Psycho

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Why did the term "Pan and Scan" become inextricably linked to anything that's not in a wide aspect ratio? I understand that many home video releases back before blu-ray were, in fact, panned and scanned to fit 4x3 TVs, but you'd think retailers would have abandoned this archaic (and usually inaccurate) term years ago, but I see it often. For example, the By Brakhage Criterion blu-ray on Barnes and Noble's website is listed as "Blu-ray (pan & scan)". Is there an actual marketing rationale for using the term?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

caiman posted:

Why did the term "Pan and Scan" become inextricably linked to anything that's not in a wide aspect ratio? I understand that many home video releases back before blu-ray were, in fact, panned and scanned to fit 4x3 TVs, but you'd think retailers would have abandoned this archaic (and usually inaccurate) term years ago, but I see it often. For example, the By Brakhage Criterion blu-ray on Barnes and Noble's website is listed as "Blu-ray (pan & scan)". Is there an actual marketing rationale for using the term?

It's technically correct, since 1.37:1 (aspect ratio he shot at) is wider than the disc's format of 1.33:1 (as per Amazon), so a tiny fraction of film was trimmed ... or panned and scanned.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's technically correct, since 1.37:1 (aspect ratio he shot at) is wider than the disc's format of 1.33:1 (as per Amazon), so a tiny fraction of film was trimmed ... or panned and scanned.
Not really. Pan and scanning isn't just cropping, it's actually panning and scanning across the screen to capture what is in the whole widescreen shot. So even a 1.85:1 film that was cropped, but always shows the same section of the original film would not technically be pan and scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Toebone posted:

American Psycho

I just went back and rewatched that scene, something always felt 'off' about Dafoe in it but I never realised there were cuts of two different takes until then. Makes a lot of sense, really interesting.