Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

frankenfreak posted:

Besides, a demon-flavored half-gnoll-half-devil abomination is even more terrifying!

Once again, sensei I have failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Also related question: Does anyone know how inherent bonuses interact with items that scale off their enhancement bonus or level? Some weapons have things like, say, the Quicksilver Blade's "gain an item bonus to initiative checks equal to the blade's enhancement bonus". Does that scale off the IB?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

They don't but it doesn't unbalance anything at all if you just say they do. 1d6/plus is fair.
They do exactly this in the Dark Sun printing of the inherent bonus rules.

AXE COP posted:

"gain an item bonus to initiative checks equal to the blade's enhancement bonus". Does that scale off the IB?
The rules lawyer in me says not by RAW using that wording on the item, but it shouldn't really break anything if you rule otherwise.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 6, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

djw175 posted:

Do IB also bring crit dice?
Yes, as of the Dark Sun rules.

FYI you still need to watch out for masterwork armor starting at 9th level. Just add the bonus in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AXE COP posted:

Does that scale off the IB?
I'd assume it doesn't. The IB is only supposed to balance out the lack of an enhancement bonus from items; it's an enhancement bonus from a different source. It's the same thing as finding a plain +2 magic sword when you have a +1 Quicksilver Blade - the Quicksilver doesn't improve from the other bonus source.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Also related question: Does anyone know how inherent bonuses interact with items that scale off their enhancement bonus or level? Some weapons have things like, say, the Quicksilver Blade's "gain an item bonus to initiative checks equal to the blade's enhancement bonus". Does that scale off the IB?

I don't think it does by default. We ruled that weapons became the next higher level of themselves when the player reached that level, though, to get around both this and the crit dice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh I suppose as described in the DMG 2 it isn't an enhancement bonus. Maybe I'm thinking of the Dark Sun thing.

In any case, I use inherent bonuses and items from wishlists, and I keep them separate. I figure once everyone has their items I'll just start levelling those up when the PCs would find an appropriate level item.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

I don't think it does by default. We ruled that weapons became the next higher level of themselves when the player reached that level, though, to get around both this and the crit dice.
Same here. Since I'm handing stuff out (mostly Rare items) it's just easier to upgrade them at the proper levels.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Yes, as of the Dark Sun rules.

FYI you still need to watch out for masterwork armor starting at 9th level. Just add the bonus in.

How does everyone else feel about this? Cause I loving hate it.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

homullus posted:

That seems like the most reasonable houseruling. Having IBs to replace the item treadmill kinda fails if you still need to upgrade to keep your bonuses relevant.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Herr Tog posted:

Which part? Masterwork armor is a hateful math kludge, yes.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Which part? Masterwork armor is a hateful math kludge, yes.

Sorry: inherent bonus' give crit dice. Also I have never had to worry about master work because everyone dies by level 6

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Herr Tog posted:

I think it's ok for the purposes of keeping up with a standard magic weapon of the right level. It's just kinda boring with all the different variations you can have on crits like the Aftershock weapon being "you hit a guy so hard everyone nearby falls over" or Blade of Night blinding people or whatever.

What do you hate about it?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Way back when I last DM'd a game I put in a bunch of "magic" items that were completely useless in the horde of a purple dragon. Stuff like a pair of pants that never get a dirty, an endless shaker of salt, a cape that always billows dramatically despite no wind, and (the party's favorite) a taxidermied Mindflayer. They ended up taking the Mindflayer and had the party Artificer rig it up as a robotic bartender for their airship :allears:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AXE COP posted:

What do you hate about it?

I love the flavor that you speak of and the inherent doesn't have that but what I hate is that the inherent bonus is the characters becoming magic items not just being better. I always associated crit dice with magic. The characters are getting better but in some settings, like Dark Sun, the characters aren't magic so I feel like they shouldn't get the crit dice. Also for me the crit dies, properties of attacks and special crit conditions are the selling points of magic items. You take a third of the appeal away and now my players have money and are buying stupid poo poo like a herd of Kanks.

tl;dr : Angry about 4e dark sun

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

dwarf74 posted:

Using the magic armor tables in the essentials books is handy for just cribbing this math, btw.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

P.d0t posted:

Using the magic armor tables in the essentials books is handy for just cribbing this math, btw.
Agreed, but the offline builder doesn't adapt for it automatically.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

My Lovely Horse posted:

They don't but it doesn't unbalance anything at all if you just say they do. 1d6/plus is fair.

I also forgot boons and grandmaster training were a thing. I'll have to look at how to incorporate those into my item regimen, because we do use items in addition to inherent bonuses.

They do if you use the ones from DSCS.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I also forgot boons and grandmaster training were a thing. I'll have to look at how to incorporate those into my item regimen, because we do use items in addition to inherent bonuses.

Could someone expand on these or give me a link or a book?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DSCS again. They're basically magic 'items' that represent training or blessings from a god or whatever, rather than a physical thing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

thespaceinvader posted:

DSCS again. They're basically magic 'items' that represent training or blessings from a god or whatever, rather than a physical thing.

One of the benefits being (I'm told) they're never a thing you can loot off a corpse, so you get to earn them with roleplaying.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Grandmaster training is not covered there. halp

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
They're literally just "alternative reward" pseudo-items, just without the divine-type flair.

Something like that (is that files?!?!)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Please don't get banned or w/e for me. I will literally just type that into the compendium i guess o.o?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes, type 'grandmaster training' into the compendium and you will find all the grandmaster training items. There are a bunch.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Herr Tog posted:

Please don't get banned or w/e for me. I will literally just type that into the compendium i guess o.o?

Set to 'Items', set filter to 'Alternative Reward', search for "training" and hit Apply, it'll list them.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
what's so hard about using IB and still giving out any weapon you want but don't use the + ratings, just use the effects?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Majuju posted:

Set to 'Items', set filter to 'Alternative Reward', search for "training" and hit Apply, it'll list them.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, type 'grandmaster training' into the compendium and you will find all the grandmaster training items. There are a bunch.

loving sick

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually they explicitly do. And it is +1d6/plus of the IB.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Actually they explicitly do. And it is +1d6/plus of the IB.

The thing that is confusing is that there is 2 versions of the IB rules. The first lot that came out didn't have the crit bonus built in, then they re wrote the rules for the release of Dark Sun which included the crit bonus.
The Dark Sun variant has been confirmed as the proper version

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So which one is in the offline Character Builder, with or without crit dice?

e: does it even display the crit dice anywhere?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 7, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So the 5e thread is kinda making me just want to try to get into 4e again -- I only ever really played two small demo sessions over Skype with a DM friend, that's it. Has WotC said how long they'll be keeping all the D&D Insider stuff up for 4e? Should I try to snag some used rulebooks/modules instead of relying on D&DI?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Drone posted:

So the 5e thread is kinda making me just want to try to get into 4e again -- I only ever really played two small demo sessions over Skype with a DM friend, that's it. Has WotC said how long they'll be keeping all the D&D Insider stuff up for 4e? Should I try to snag some used rulebooks/modules instead of relying on D&DI?

They moved the stuff to an archive. thing, but it's still operating just fine so shrug.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So long as there are subscribers I think they said they will keep it going.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

So long as there are subscribers I think they said they will keep it going.

Yeah, they made a non committal "as long as enough people keep paying" without quantifying what 'enough' was. Hopefully it'll be kept around for a decent length of time, but I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Drone posted:

Even if they nuke it, the builder will live on.

If you need any help with it, PM me and I'll help out.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It is because of this I am tempted to just buy a year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The D&D website hiding the builder from general access is not really a good omen for things to come.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's not hidden it's moved and they haven't told anyone where it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
In most cases you just stick "archive." in front of the "wizards" part.

For example, the old address for the the 3e art gallery was

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ag

It's now http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ag

Similarly, the toolset is http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/tools.aspx