Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

luminalflux posted:

Printers at $BIG_MEDIA_HOUSE do pull printing - you queue the job then you go to any printer and blip your RFID badge (the same one that lets you in the building) and your print job comes out.

This is what we had at the library, too bad it tripped over large PDF e-tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I work in a large hospital supporting printers. A ticket came in from the hospital IT department. The large MFP in their office was leaving the middle of each page blank on copies. I walked down there and they have a fat stack of paper on the left side of the printer, the corner of which is covering the scan glass. Moved the paper, problem solved, but I'd expect the IT department to be a little better than that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone still got a Cryptolocker infection that this could be tested on? https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

wa27 posted:

I'll fix this. [

Nintendo Kid posted:

} There I closed it for you.

RadicalR posted:

> No, I think you meant this one!

dennyk posted:

^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

There, all fixed. :toot:

Knormal posted:

Whatever, it still won't compile.

;

There. ;

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This should help (}

I just want you to know I hate you all, sorry.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I just want you to know I hate you all, sorry.

I'm going to have to agree with you here.

]

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

/* comment some stuff out

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

peak debt posted:

That's actually reason c) why you need event forwarding, giving even only read access to the DC security logs to non-Domain Admins is nontrivial and involves a fair bit of registry hacking. If you forward them to a regular server you can delegate access normally.

There's also a fair amount of cargo cult going on among "IT security engineers" about DC access which doesn't make this kind of stuff easy either :(

Yeah, if you can get event forwarding set up to a management server it makes this way easier. I actually got that done yesterday - we only have 3 DCs in the main domain so it was pretty quick. Then the script can look at the forwarded logs (they show up in event viewer on your management server) and run normally.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Sirveaux posted:

We got this at the university. It's great, most of the time.

There are even ways to print from home and then use the RFID card to print on any campus.

Hey we have this at Stockholm University as well! :)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

MJP posted:

Anyone still got a Cryptolocker infection that this could be tested on? https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/

I can't see this being anything but a hoax.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

BabyFur Denny posted:

I can't see this being anything but a hoax.
It's definitely not a hoax. Fire-Eye is a real company and they were able to genuinely ascertain many of the private keys that CryptoLocker used to encrypt people's files.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Renegret posted:

It's even more confusing when you're short a screw with 100% confidence you didn't lose any.

No, I'm pretty sure it's more confusing that I somehow managed to accidentally find one of those tiny-rear end laptop screws of exactly the same type as the ones that the laptop uses than it is than it would be if I had accidentally dropped one and not noticed it.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

nexxai posted:

It's definitely not a hoax. Fire-Eye is a real company and they were able to genuinely ascertain many of the private keys that CryptoLocker used to encrypt people's files.

Or maybe Fire-Eye was behind cryptolocker all along and this is just their second phase, to gain everyone's confidence and get access to their encrypted files :tinfoil:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I didnt think they had actually cracked the encryption, they just got their hands on a database of all the keys or something like that. Not a major breakthrough moving forward but useful for people who may have been infected in the past.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The FBI shut down the GameOver Zeus botnet and during that time the botnet operators were trying to salvage and retake control over their network. In doing so they transferred the private keys in a part of the network that was being monitored by FireEye and Fox-IT.

It was sheer coincidence that they "acquired" this data but it is real.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2014

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

elcapjtk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 7, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If he would have the ability to change his CV, and you have administrative access to the whole site, can't you just ninjaedit his CV instead of changing the whole stylesheet?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
One of my more crazy users loves referring to herself in the third person when submitting tickets.

To think she used to be an Executive Producer at a major network...

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

peak debt posted:

If he would have the ability to change his CV, and you have administrative access to the whole site, can't you just ninjaedit his CV instead of changing the whole stylesheet?

The issue is that he wants a certain set of styles that isn't reflected in his CV. His CV follows one style, but he wants a different style for Journals/Newspaper/Paper/whatever else on the site. He doesn't want to edit his own page, and wants us (the 2 IT pros or the secretary that has access to the site) to do it for him, as do the 40 or so other profs that we support. This issue ended up going to the director who wants to give the profs the choice between using the current method (text box that allows the pasting of formatting from Word/PDFs), having a form that literally is "Author", "Title", "Journal", "Publish Date", and depending on how the form is filled out formats the citation properly, or use PubMed IDs.

elcapjtk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 7, 2014

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Central print queue chat: the org I'm at has a global implementation of this. When I saw this on my first day I actually was in awe. I can send a print on the west coast of the US and then swipe my badge at a printer in an office in Europe to get my print.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

We just went live with a new EAS policy that any mobile devices used to access agency email need to have a 4 digit PIN and will auto-lock after 10 minutes, users were notified of the impending change 2 weeks ago. Only one user has complained so far, cant wait for the tickets that will ensue...

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Inform them of the great features of Nine or whatever the iPhone relevant app is that forces EAS to modify the security settings at an App level instead of a Device level.

I've been using Nine for a few months, and its great for ignoring EAS policies that disrupt MY device. Its also good so if my company decides to wipe my phone, it'll only wipe the app and leave all my data alone.

edit: vvv wait, are you actually praising Blackberry for something? :frogout:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 6, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
BlackBerry did it first and better

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

chestnut santabag posted:

From my previous job:
"Wireless signal is weak in the women's changing room"
"Closed ticket, invited women to change in my cubicle instead where the wireless signal is strong."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Knormal posted:

"Closed ticket, invited women to change in my cubicle instead where the wireless signal is strong."

Like nude beaches, this is invariably a curse in disguise.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mustache Ride posted:

Inform them of the great features of Nine or whatever the iPhone relevant app is that forces EAS to modify the security settings at an App level instead of a Device level.

I've been using Nine for a few months, and its great for ignoring EAS policies that disrupt MY device. Its also good so if my company decides to wipe my phone, it'll only wipe the app and leave all my data alone.

Advising end users to skirt around any IT policy seems idiotic. If it is their device they are then accepting the company policy to access company resources. If you are savvy enough to do protect your data on your own by some means, more power to you, but you are then most likely breaking a company policy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Moey posted:

Advising end users to skirt around any IT policy seems idiotic. If it is their device they are then accepting the company policy to access company resources. If you are savvy enough to do protect your data on your own by some means, more power to you, but you are then most likely breaking a company policy.

Its actually not skirting company policy. The app requires you to enter a 4 digit pin code to see any emails, but doesn't set that security policy at a Device Level. So the security policies are still in place for the company's data (email) but not for your personal stuff (your goddamn phone).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mustache Ride posted:

Its actually not skirting company policy. The app requires you to enter a 4 digit pin code to see any emails, but doesn't set that security policy at a Device Level. So the security policies are still in place for the company's data (email) but not for your personal stuff (your goddamn phone).

What if you download a company attachment to said phone? It has then moved outside of the pin protected email and onto said unprotected device.

There are still a lot of issues with byod and security policies, and I am still a strong believer if work wants me to have mobile capabilities, then they ill give me and pay for a phone.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MJP posted:

Man if I wasn't going out of town today for 11 days I'd love to try this on a laptop I haven't wiped yet.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I've caught at least one of our developers actually unplugging his machine from our corporate network because he doesn't like our GPO restrictions. Sir, please put in a request for a different GPO, don't endanger your machine because you're not getting patches and updates. gently caress.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Godsped posted:

D, stop printing out every email sent to both of us and giving the copy to me. I will just throw it out. We can talk about it without a printed out copy as our desks are five feet apart. I believe in you!

This is my boss, the IT Director. I'm convinced that he's a Captain Planet villain. There was a company-wide message about saving on printing because we lease these things, and the very same day he printed out a 20 page document to hand to me that I was already reading on my screen.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I consider this highly insulting

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/customer-always-right/

the recounts of :downs:customer interactions in this thread are anything but mundane

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pr0digal posted:

One of my more crazy users loves referring to herself in the third person when submitting tickets.

To think she used to be an Executive Producer at a major network...

I've got someone who always ends their tickets with 'per Joe Blow'
That'd make sense if it was Joe Blow's admin assistant sending the ticket for the CEO "Install new fans, per ceo's request" but Joe is just a random employee submitting his own ticket.

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

luminalflux posted:

/* comment some stuff out
code:
*/
#DEFINE UNDEFINED 1
#IFDEF UNDEFINED
I went ahead and made sure no posts will be lost before someone closes this one. You can thank me later.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Mustache Ride posted:

maybe

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Why don't more MFPs have a multi tray output where it just dumps each persons poo poo into their tray?!

We have cover pages, and this wooden thing on wheels with slots, so if you pick your job you toss the others in the stand. Works great for when you can't make it to the printer for a while.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I consider this highly insulting

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/customer-always-right/

the recounts of :downs:customer interactions in this thread are anything but mundane

I didn't even crack a smile reading that, a lot of it just seems like its poking at people for being stupid or exaggerating like hell :shrug:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dogstile posted:

I didn't even crack a smile reading that, a lot of it just seems like its poking at people for being stupid or exaggerating like hell :shrug:

thejoke.jpg

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RadicalR posted:

thejoke.jpg

:thejoke:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RadicalR posted:

thejoke.jpg

I'm glad it is, I wasn't sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Was just walking a user through logging into her Office365 email for the first time (she's worked here for years, but is finally getting around to setting up her own email account that has existed as long as she's been here) and after about 20 minutes we finally get her logged in and to the point where she has to choose the time zone and she's confused as to which time zone to pick...even though we've been in the Pacific time zone for longer than this woman has been alive
I ask her, "Which time zone are we in?", hoping that she'll arrive at the correct answer on her own
Her: "Uhhhhh...morning?"
I proceeded to give her the correct answer, then watched as she failed to find the Pacific time zone in the drop-down list even though it was right in front of her. I finally took mercy on her and clicked it. I'm not even 100% sure this woman can read :|

• Locked thread