Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

Your players also matter. Like they have to realize that constant in fighting is going to get you no where, and there still has to be give and take. Problem is bad guys aren't given to compromise so many times players will get into infighting over every dammed decision if one player thinks their right and shouldn't give in, and another thinks they're wrong. They justify this as good role playing.

Essentially If your group contains players who like to play the rogue who steals from other party members, or the paladin that spends more time challenging party members to fights over trivial stuff than fighting the bad guys, there will probably be problems.

There is clearly a course of action that the players can take that will please ALL of the Chaos Gods...

...And that is death to the False Emperor.

But seriously, I know I have one player who thinks the most fun part about roleplaying is inter-party conflict. Unfortunately, this extends to him being a GM as well. It's been my understanding that player interaction is a great thing to have, but players need to understand that there's some give-and-take as opposed to "I am implacable, I am right/you will not get away with this" all the time.

That said, once we get past this, I think playing with guns that shoot rock and roll and trying to roll on the perils table is going to be rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

ZearothK posted:

The Ciaphas Cain novels taught me that there is no problem a meltagun can't solve.

Though yeah, I have to add to the choir that plasma and power weapons are starting equipment for a RT crew. If you want any piece of gear to be hardwon it should be because it is a Xeno design or outright cursed or has a greater value than just being a thing you use to murder people.

Also don't forget - getting one of an item should be fairly trivial for a Rogue Trader. But if you want to pimp your personal regiment out with lots of the good stuff, it'll be accordingly difficult.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

About to start up up Deathwatch game and was asked a question by one of the players (who had played some Dark Heresy before) that I was unable to answer with only the core rulebook. Are there equivalent 'Ascended' classes for space marines, or because they already start at an DH equivalent rank 9, they aren't currently offered any?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Ascension basically just brought DH guys up to Rogue Trader and Deathwatch level. There are no ascension-style classes for anyone else.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DandyLion posted:

About to start up up Deathwatch game and was asked a question by one of the players (who had played some Dark Heresy before) that I was unable to answer with only the core rulebook. Are there equivalent 'Ascended' classes for space marines, or because they already start at an DH equivalent rank 9, they aren't currently offered any?

Only if you consider being interred in a Dreadnought 'Ascension'! :unsmigghh:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Astus posted:

Ascension basically just brought DH guys up to Rogue Trader and Deathwatch level. There are no ascension-style classes for anyone else.

Except Black Crusade now, where you go Daemon Prince.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

FireSight posted:

Except Black Crusade now, where you go Daemon Prince.

Haven't checked Tome of decay out yet, but is there really a huge difference in being a Daemon Prince? Seems like any Black Crusade character is already extremely powerful given enough experience. Compare that to DH guys going from being expendable fodder for Inquisitors to being an Inquisitor.

Actually, I'm pretty sure most Black Crusade characters with even 2,000-3,000 xp could probably kill any of the Daemon Princes that have been stat'ed up.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

DandyLion posted:

There are no Ascended classes, but the Rites of Battle DW book has alternate classes for higher rank, like Chaplain, Watch Captain, Forge Master, Dreadnaught etc.

When The Emperor's Chosen was announced people thought that book would have the "Ascended" careers, but instead there are Heroic Legacy packages that allow your squad as a whole to do some broken stuff, and some really broken Relics for Hero renown

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Astus posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure most Black Crusade characters with even 2,000-3,000 xp could probably kill any of the Daemon Princes that have been stat'ed up.

Sure, but what scrub of a daemon prince is not going to be surrounded by an army of dudes? If you're running Black Crusade, and your players are just fighting a daemon prince without like some allied greater daemons, chaos champions, defilers, and hordes of peons around, you're doing it wrong.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Astus posted:

Haven't checked Tome of decay out yet, but is there really a huge difference in being a Daemon Prince? Seems like any Black Crusade character is already extremely powerful given enough experience. Compare that to DH guys going from being expendable fodder for Inquisitors to being an Inquisitor.

Yes, as in literally huge. You are now tank-sized. You get lots of neat powers, including the potential to just outright negate hits for an IP. You can't get killed permanently and you don't suffer crit damage until you hit -9 or -10 and then you're banished to Namek or whatever and its GM fiat when you get to come back.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So the Sergeant player came up with a good question: Will Peer (Imperial Guard) allow him +10 on tests to issue a Sweeping Order? He technically -is- interacting with members of the Peer group while making a fellowship test.

I want it not to apply, but I can't really find the argument. It seems odd that it is possible to take Peer with the group you are a member of.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tias posted:

So the Sergeant player came up with a good question: Will Peer (Imperial Guard) allow him +10 on tests to issue a Sweeping Order? He technically -is- interacting with members of the Peer group while making a fellowship test.

I want it not to apply, but I can't really find the argument. It seems odd that it is possible to take Peer with the group you are a member of.

Some guys are just more popular bro, don't be hating.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can see it work, it just seems like an oversight, in that it is an extremely cheap way to get high bonuses to your Command rolls. I'll roll with it either way, I'm just wondering what the rules say.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The rules allow the bonus. As for it being an extremely cheap way of getting a +10 to most of the command tests you'll issue, it's only cheap for the specialities with the right aptitudes. Yes, it's one of the better choices for the cost, but every archetype has a couple of things that are both cheap and generally good.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
And remember, Peer actually has a downside. You can, from time to time, force the sergeant to do some favors, lest he lose the talent. He's friendly and reliable for such things to earn Peer, so he's obligated to continue doing those, even if it's not something he'd like to do. Not to mention, the bonus is small enough that it's nothing horrible to have him have. Might want to make sure that he doesn't try to pull it for better logistics because the quartermaster is part of the IG too.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Lateinshowing posted:

And remember, Peer actually has a downside. You can, from time to time, force the sergeant to do some favors, lest he lose the talent. He's friendly and reliable for such things to earn Peer, so he's obligated to continue doing those, even if it's not something he'd like to do. Not to mention, the bonus is small enough that it's nothing horrible to have him have. Might want to make sure that he doesn't try to pull it for better logistics because the quartermaster is part of the IG too.

Why not? Commerce is a social skill, and why would the quartermaster not be more lenient with gear for a person he likes?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can use it for a bonus on a commerce test to attempt to temporarily raise the Logistics value, but he can't raise it by 10 directly. The logistics value belongs to the squad, not any single member of it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Waci posted:

The rules allow the bonus. As for it being an extremely cheap way of getting a +10 to most of the command tests you'll issue, it's only cheap for the specialities with the right aptitudes. Yes, it's one of the better choices for the cost, but every archetype has a couple of things that are both cheap and generally good.

Case in point, Hotshot Pilot for Operator. It is an insanely good talent for the cost, but it's tempered against the fact that many times while piloting you're making rolls at a penalty.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Yep, or Foresight for medics/techpriests. Or Berserk Charge for melee combat people.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
Peer means that you have connections with the group in question. If using those connections allows you to issue orders to your underlings better somehow, then it should work. I'm positive that it's to be used to either operate on the reputation of your friends in high places, or to deal directly with them. Trying to say that knowing the quartermaster on a first name basis should get your squad a +10 on dodge tests is kind of absurd. RAI vs RAW I guess.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Case in point, Hotshot Pilot for Operator. It is an insanely good talent for the cost, but it's tempered against the fact that many times while piloting you're making rolls at a penalty.

That and push the limit are worth every exp point when you're out-racing deldar raiders.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sour Blossom posted:

Peer means that you have connections with the group in question. If using those connections allows you to issue orders to your underlings better somehow, then it should work. I'm positive that it's to be used to either operate on the reputation of your friends in high places, or to deal directly with them. Trying to say that knowing the quartermaster on a first name basis should get your squad a +10 on dodge tests is kind of absurd. RAI vs RAW I guess.

...dodge tests? Who said anything about dodge tests?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Peer is meant to be a respect and renown thing. They respect you and so they respond well to you in social situations; have heard of your prowess and trust you enough to follow your orders implicitly; understand you do the hard stuff and are more amenable to your requests for aid etc etc

Arguably the problem is it's too broad a category. Peer (Guardsmen) and Peer (Officers) might make more sense, but it's just adding bulk.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
That's a very good point. Imperial Guard as a category makes sense when you're talking about inquisitors or rogue traders who might deal with them from the outside every now and then, but you might want to break it up more for actual members of the imperial guard working in a setting that takes place entirely within it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't think Peer necessarily means anything about respect or renown, there are lots of ways you can construct the bonus that do not require it. The blurb just says that you know how to get along with that group.

I do agree that when the entire campaign is about one group, it's maybe a little overapplied, and breaking it down a little purely for OW might make sense (maybe particular to a regiment, homeworld, or officer/enlisted). Depending on the campaign though, you could achieve the same thing by just selecting a different group for Peer.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

DH does have Peer Inquisition

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Kinda dumb fluff question. I'm running a campaign in RT and wondered how feasible it would have been for a rogue trader to have placed a small orbital station in orbit around a inhospitable planet (maybe a repurposed transport or something) would that be out of place in 40k?

I know stations exist but they always seem to be giant ports of trade rather than personally owned and whether it would be a huge effort for the trader to have done this or if its something you wouldn't bat an eye at fluff wise.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nothing is too unfeasible for a Rogue Trader. Also small space stations do exists, I know the Adeptus Mechanicus has a lot of them for research

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I, personally, assume there's probably enough need for such things that there would be a standard model.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

goatface posted:

I, personally, assume there's probably enough need for such things that there would be a standard model.

Standard Template Construct, even!
:goonsay:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ok that makes me feel better I keep worrying that it might be too much of an investment on the original traders part but the more I think about it the repurposed transport would work really well for this situation I may just go with that.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

apostateCourier posted:

...dodge tests? Who said anything about dodge tests?

An example of a Sergeant's sweeping order, Covering Fire, literally gives everyone +10 on a dodge test.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't actually require a test. If you have the comrade ability, you just do that.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

ZeusCannon posted:

Kinda dumb fluff question. I'm running a campaign in RT and wondered how feasible it would have been for a rogue trader to have placed a small orbital station in orbit around a inhospitable planet (maybe a repurposed transport or something) would that be out of place in 40k?

I know stations exist but they always seem to be giant ports of trade rather than personally owned and whether it would be a huge effort for the trader to have done this or if its something you wouldn't bat an eye at fluff wise.

That's a pretty dead-on description of the Inquisitor's secret base in the Dark Heresy game I ran. It was also the site of my favorite session from the campaign, where a warp anomaly swapped minds of everyone on the station. This guy was an Ordo Xenos radical and he had a bunch of crazy poo poo on hand for a big planning meeting, so I threw down a bunch of face-down character sheets (missing skills and mental stats) that people got to pick from blindly as the bodies they would inhabit for that adventure. Choices included a Big Mek, a warp ghost of a dead Inquisitor, a Dark Eldar haemonculus, a Deathwatch sergeant*, and the Mek's grot assistant. Of course, the guy playing the tech priest that had developed a burning hatred of grots over the campaign snatched up the gretchin grease monkey first thing.

Getting back to the point: As someone has said before, the galaxy is a big place and half the fun of 40k is that anything is happening at any time somewhere. Small secret space station? I don't even think that gets past a 1.2 on a scale of "one to ten, how impossible and ridiculous is this".

*They fuckin' loved this guy. I used him a couple other times. He's a throwaway character in a book adventure that I ran early on, Brother-Sergeant Agamorr is his name. I played him up as this tragic hero that long ago realized he was never going home to his chapter and was going to die doing shady deeds for the Inquisition. So, rather than being super-heroic, he basically acted like a depressed-but-committed babysitter, and a progressively more depressing conversation he had with the group's until-that-point gung ho Arbitrator was pure magic. So I kept bringing him back for other cameos, and eventually he made his way into our Deathwatch game, where he was Jericho's Watch Captain.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

ZeusCannon posted:

There's a roughly cruiser-sized space station on page 210 of the core rulebook. I think that could definitely be within the means of a trader, moreso if you had something smaller in mind.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Waci posted:

That's a very good point. Imperial Guard as a category makes sense when you're talking about inquisitors or rogue traders who might deal with them from the outside every now and then, but you might want to break it up more for actual members of the imperial guard working in a setting that takes place entirely within it.

This was my consideration as well, but the bonus is not that far-fetched in comparison to other bonuses the other specialties can pull off.

apostateCourier posted:

Why not? Commerce is a social skill, and why would the quartermaster not be more lenient with gear for a person he likes?

The Sergeant is gimped Social-wise because he lacks the aptitude, so I doubt it will come up in my game. That said, if it did, I would point out that the quartermaster in their regiment is an adept of the Departmento Munitorum, not a soldier of the guard.

ZeusCannon posted:

Very feasible. The galaxy is chock-full of various orbital habitats, particularly the Imperium.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Elf party's Seer really needs to stop exploding. She keeps blowing off all her armor and her force staff and stuff with Perils because she pushes powers more often than a Black Crusade psyker. That Rune Armor isn't easy to replace, damnit.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What book do the 40k RPG rules for Eldar come from?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Waci wrote a conversion for a PbP game here and I stole the rules to use myself for a ridiculous campaign about space elves trying to save their home from eventually becoming the next Iyanden if they don't defeat Hive Fleet Dagon or at least point a bunch of other people at it in the Jericho Reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Starting a Dark Heresy CYOA here http://goo.gl/KGwe1M

Ive never played or run any 40k RPGs, although Ive read the books. Wish me luck.