Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Apple Jax posted:

It was rad. I got to see it when I was under-aged though and never really got to get a drink from Quark's bar :argh: Everything else was pretty great, isn't there still just a bit left there now? Anyone know?

I went about three years before they closed (I was also underaged at the time :( ) but I believe they auctioned off all the assets, possibly as part of that big It's A Wrap! auction that Paramount had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Hey guys.

Anyone still post neelix_dance.gif?

E: I do not think there is anything interesting left to say about popular television series, Star Trek. IMO.

Dr. Witherbone fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 6, 2014

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
AV Club has a TV Club 10 article for Enterprise that just came out.

Gives a brief overview of the show and what went right/wrong, and goddamn has it really been ten years since a Trek show was on television?

I also found yet another redone ENT opening theme in the comments section and holy poo poo it actually works really well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there any somewhat decent fan stuff that isn't going for a distinctly TOS style? Other than that Kickstarter I mean.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beware, that way lies Voyager fandom.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Children of Time is so dumb. The one where the Defiant encounters its future descendents and has to decide whether to avoid the disaster that creates those descendents. Nobody ever bothers to mention (or the writers never realized) that there are equally a group of future descendants of the crew that will never have the chance to exist back home in Alpha quadrant if they decide to stay.

Statements like "we can't let these people die" are understandable but a total misread of the situation. They won't die, they never will have existed, and a new set of descendents (ones that can reasonably be expected to have happier lives) will take their place in the future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Currently conscious individuals would cease to exist. They weren't just floating around in potentia, they were there. They were living. Removal from existence after they had begun is death, no matter how retroactive.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But it's okay. Those people will always live on... in our hearts. :911:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
At least I managed to go to Star Trek: the Experience once before it closed. I managed to get a bunch of episodes on VHS on sale because they were clearing them out for DVDs at the time. I was still in High School at the time. Jeez, that was probably 10 or more years ago.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Currently conscious individuals would cease to exist. They weren't just floating around in potentia, they were there. They were living. Removal from existence after they had begun is death, no matter how retroactive.

Had the accident gone forward those people would have existed 200 years in the future according to the Defiant crew's subjective time. In fact, going through with the accident would have eliminated those people from the Defiant's subjective present existence exactly as not going through with it did. And going through with the accident would move the planet-side descendents into potentia, just like their prime-timeline future descendents.

From the Defiant's subjective point of view (and is there any other kind of point of view?) both possible groups of descendents were 200 years in the future. They just got to meet the first group. Should that privilege those potential people?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I managed to get to Star Trek: The Experience on Aug 2nd, 2008. I was in Vegas for my cousin's wedding. This was the 2nd time I was in Vegas and the first time I was there, I went to the Hilton but didn't do any of the attractions. I decided I was going to make it a point to do them this time. I was really glad I did, because it ended up closing just a month later.

There was something pretty drat neat about walking out on to the bridge of the Enterprise after growing up watching TNG.

I did get a Warp Core Breach at Quarks while I was there.

The models they had hanging from the ceiling were awesome too.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

betaraywil posted:

I've somehow never seen The Descent before.

Feels good, yo.

Yo that episode was bullshit. A blind guy uses :techno: to tell an old guy how to rejigger a microprocessor by hand.

I think I might not like Lore. Is it okay if I don't like Lore?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

aahhahahahaha the little music cue when the NX-01 goes to warp is loving incredible.

Pro-fuckin-click.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Arglebargle III posted:

Children of Time is so dumb. The one where the Defiant encounters its future descendents and has to decide whether to avoid the disaster that creates those descendents. Nobody ever bothers to mention (or the writers never realized) that there are equally a group of future descendants of the crew that will never have the chance to exist back home in Alpha quadrant if they decide to stay.

Statements like "we can't let these people die" are understandable but a total misread of the situation. They won't die, they never will have existed, and a new set of descendents (ones that can reasonably be expected to have happier lives) will take their place in the future.

Also the Dominion would have taken over the Alpha Quadrant and poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Had the accident gone forward those people would have existed 200 years in the future according to the Defiant crew's subjective time. In fact, going through with the accident would have eliminated those people from the Defiant's subjective present existence exactly as not going through with it did. And going through with the accident would move the planet-side descendents into potentia, just like their prime-timeline future descendents.

From the Defiant's subjective point of view (and is there any other kind of point of view?) both possible groups of descendents were 200 years in the future. They just got to meet the first group. Should that privilege those potential people?

Yeah, they cease to exist no matter what. They wanted to choose the path that would cause them to exist again in the future. But...

revtoiletduck posted:

Also the Dominion would have taken over the Alpha Quadrant and poo poo.

hahahahaha.

That's how the episode should have ended. Right as they're about to go through with their dumb plan, a bunch of Jen'Hadar land and slaughter everyone. The only thing the would have to do is change it so that when they landed on the planet they were shifted into the future, rather than crashing into the past later...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

I went about three years before they closed (I was also underaged at the time :( ) but I believe they auctioned off all the assets, possibly as part of that big It's A Wrap! auction that Paramount had.
Yeah it's all gone. There were plans to reopen an attraction on Freemont Street but then the economy crashed, and Vegas got hit HARD.

I'm glad I got to go when I did, which was probably 6-9 months before it shut down.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

When I first heard the theme start I started to laugh... but then the words, music and visual cues sync up amazingly well, and the lyrics especially are surprisingly fitting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can I just say, the First Contact uniform might be my favorite. The jacket may look staid, but take off the jacket... and it's a TOS uniform!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Enterprise did nothing wrong.

Arglebargle III posted:

Their lives will no longer exist. That's death. If someone points a gun at you and says "this won't kill you, it will make it so that you never existed", would you feel any differently? Arguably the latter is even worse.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 6, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's like when Supergirl got killed by the Anti-Monitor in Crisis on Infinite Earths. She got killed so hard, she never even existed, and that was treated as a death. How's it different from the people in that DS9 episode?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Enterprise did nothing wrong.

Their lives will no longer exist. That's death. If someone points a gun at you and says "this won't kill you, it will make it so that you never existed", would you feel any differently? Arguably the latter is even worse.

But the point is that both options cause them to no longer exist.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, they cease to exist no matter what. They wanted to choose the path that would cause them to exist again in the future. But...

hahahahaha.

That's how the episode should have ended. Right as they're about to go through with their dumb plan, a bunch of Jen'Hadar land and slaughter everyone. The only thing the would have to do is change it so that when they landed on the planet they were shifted into the future, rather than crashing into the past later...

I remember that I said that episode was dumb and got poo poo from some people here who said it was a good one. Not to mention that it helps make Odo and Kira's later relationship even weirder.

Besides, wouldn't they still exist in an alternate timeline that would have split off as soon as there was a time paradox? I dunno, Star Trek isn't very consistent with time travel.

Vagabundo posted:

It's like when Supergirl got killed by the Anti-Monitor in Crisis on Infinite Earths. She got killed so hard, she never even existed, and that was treated as a death. How's it different from the people in that DS9 episode?

How could people act like she died when she never existed and thus wouldn't remember her? Dunno, I never read Crisis on Infinite Earths.

It's sorta like how in one of the Godzilla movies (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah) they go back in time and erase Godzilla from existence, but everybody still remembers Godzilla. And then he comes back anyway just because.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Godzilla has paradox-resistant flesh? Good to know!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Godzilla has paradox-resistant flesh? Good to know!

Yep, he is truly the king of all monsters. Try hitting him with a nuke? He just gets angry. And bigger.

In the original Godzilla, they managed to kill him by removing all the oxygen from his body. Then another one came around. Much later they built Mechagodzilla on top of the original Godzilla's bones to fight the 2nd Godzilla. The ghost of the original Godzilla within the bones possessed Mechagodzilla and it went crazy and started blowing poo poo up.

This is relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5iJ2l8QAs

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DoctorWhat posted:

aahhahahahaha the little music cue when the NX-01 goes to warp is loving incredible.

Pro-fuckin-click.

There's also a cymbal crash the moment that the warp nacelles bust out of the shuttle or whatever. Amazing

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

The ghost of the original Godzilla within the bones possessed Mechagodzilla and it went crazy and started blowing poo poo up.

There is no part of this sentence that isn't awesome

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But it's okay. Those people will always live on... in our hearts. :911:

Hey that reminds me of a painfully earnest tribute song by a Star Trucks stuntman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4difPEQ8wA4

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
It's obvious that the folks in "Children of Time" will necessarily cease to exist one way or the other. Even if the Defiant crashes in the past as before, the crew's knowledge of the future and interaction with their own descendants will inevitably change how the timeline plays out this time around. There's no chance that those exact same individuals will be born and have the exact same life experiences.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Voyager Rewatch, season 2, episode 5 "Non Sequitur"
This is a Harry Kim episode. That takes place on earth, in an alternate reality where he never got on Voyager. It's a total snooze-fest with no redeeming qualities.

In theory you could make an episode with this premise that didn't suck, but, uh, they didn't. Season 2 is off to a rough start, "The 37s", "Elogium", and "Non Sequitur" all suck. "Initiations" and "Projections" were both really good though, and I remember the next episode "Twisted" being really good, so I hope it makes up for Harry Kim looking confused and being himself for 43 minutes...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

There is no part of this sentence that isn't awesome

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla rules. Another great one is Godzilla Final Wars where Don Fyre as mayor Mike Haggar from Final Fight fights aliens with a katana and flies around in a submarine spaceship with a drill on the front as Godzilla runs around killing everyone, including the 1998 Godzilla.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla rules. Another great one is Godzilla Final Wars where Don Fyre as mayor Mike Haggar from Final Fight fights aliens with a katana and flies around in a submarine spaceship with a drill on the front as Godzilla runs around killing everyone, including the 1998 Godzilla.

Now I know you're just making poo poo up. :colbert:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Trent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aZKHsha3Ek

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Trent posted:

My good Trent, they are all true. Especially the lies.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's also a cymbal crash the moment that the warp nacelles bust out of the shuttle or whatever. Amazing

Yeah, it pretty much blew Strenf of the Harr or whatever out of the water.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've seen Final Wars and I can only assume this is how the writing process went down:

"Ok, let's make a list of all the stuff that would be great in a movie. Any movie. Doesn't have to be Godzilla."
"Here's the list."
"Time to start the script!"
"Wait, which things on that list are we doing?"
"ALL OF THEM."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I've seen Final Wars and I can only assume this is how the writing process went down:

"Ok, let's make a list of all the stuff that would be great in a movie. Any movie. Doesn't have to be Godzilla."
"Here's the list."
"Time to start the script!"
"Wait, which things on that list are we doing?"
"ALL OF THEM."

And the result is amazing. I need to buy it on DVD just so that I can upload the best clip to youtube. The part where Don Frye explains his plan, and everyone is like "wait, so we're going to steal a spaceship, fly it past all the aliens and monsters to ANTARCTICA and then use it to wake up GODZILLA and hope that he is a big enough badass to kill all the other monsters and aliens but not kill us?!" and Don Frye's just like "That's right"

Also the movie is in Japanese but Don Frye speaks english the entire time. This was at the request of the director who wanted it that way, Frye was totally willing to learn his lines in Japanese.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

quote:

Probably the best episode of Enterprise’s first two years, “Cogenitor”
:barf:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cogenitor is at least good Trek in that there seems to be a split in the audience about who was right in that situation.

Unlike Dear Doctor, where the only debate is who who's wronger, Archer or Phlox.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 7, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Subyng posted:

But both groups are 200 years in the Defiant crew's future. If the episode was about traveling into the future, would you still be in support of the accident? What if the Defiant was able to visit its potential descendents in the alpha quadrant as well before deciding?

And as I and others point out, from the Defiant's perspective those people will cease to exist either way. Either they do the accident and these people won't be born for 200 years, or they don't do the accident and they will never have been born. Except, there are a whole group of future people who now will be born because the Defiant crew returns to the alpha quadrant to procreate.

Again, from the Defiant's perspective, there are two future groups of descendents that are both equally in the Defiant crew's future. They just get to visit with one group and that influences their decision. In my opinion, inappropriately.

On the balance of lives, the accident timeline probably results in more progeny because agrarian societies have more children on average than advanced societies. (Although in a post-scarcity society who knows whether that holds true.) On the balance of human suffering, the alpha quadrant timeline is likely to produce people who have more fulfilling lives with less suffering.

And, of course, the Defiant and its crew are a critical strategic resource and should they choose the accident timeline it's likely that the Dominion would conquer the alpha quadrant and that the entire population of Earth would be massacred, throwing the moral calculus entirely. That none of the Defiant crew mentions this, not even Worf who is usually the voice for these sorts of concerns, is quite an oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I just finished watching "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" for the second time in my life (the first time being at least six years ago). I don't think it's really all that wack, relative to some other TAS eps. In fact, its internal logic pretty much holds up. I think I've been influenced by some hilarious gif which depicts a sequence of events that did not actually happen.

On the subject of TAS, does anyone know anything about the background music? I clearly recall hearing the same music on the animated Tarzan, circa 1977, and I'm pretty sure it was used in at least another one or two cartoon series. (It's pretty good music, imo.)

e: I've tried (long time ago) googling it and didn't get anywhere. I could now but I'll be lazy for the time being and see if someone knows all about it and would love to educate me.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread