Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'd start with The Day Today personally. He's not in it much but it's a great introduction. Then Knowing Me Knowing You (which is very hit and miss) , then I'm Alan Partridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm sure there is a compilation of his moments in TDTD on YouTube, but if you don't mind you could watch the whole thing because it is still pretty much loving excellent.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

CobiWann posted:

If I were interested in getting to know Alan Partridge, where and how should I start?

To disagree with everyone I'd start with I'm Alan Partridge first as you dont really need any of the backstory. Then watch KMKY which as people have said is hit an miss.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The radio version of KMKY is good too, it's a little more tightly focused although some of the interviews are repeated for the TV version. Could be a good option if you have a long drive or commute.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I agree with the big taff man, start with the first series of Im Alan Partridge.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

The Big Taff Man posted:

To disagree with everyone I'd start with I'm Alan Partridge first as you dont really need any of the backstory. Then watch KMKY which as people have said is hit an miss.

Yeah, I'd do this. There isn't really much you'll miss out on plot-wise if you go straight to I'm Alan Partridge and it's way better than KMKY which is very good, but I'm Alan Partridge is one of the best UK comedy shows ever, imo. Assuming you will watch KMKY at some stage, don't forget the Christmas special, Knowing Me Knowing Yule, which is great.

The Day Today is great and I'd recommend it to anyone on it's own merits, but Partridge is only in it for a few minutes every episode, if memory serves.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Jordan on Great British Bake Off is giving off goon vibes. He says he's influenced by Japanese culture and he's baking a Kawaii Swiss Roll.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

tdrules posted:

Jordan on Great British Bake Off is giving off goon vibes. He says he's influenced by Japanese culture and he's baking a Kawaii Swiss Roll.

How long until the anime fanart starts...? :stonk:

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
He does look like he might have a fursona.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tdrules posted:

Seriously every time this guy appears on screen I shudder, my girlfriend is finding it hilarious. I want him to die.

e: Same goes for the curvy goonette

e2: Also, why are Mel and Sue?

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Seriously every time this guy appears on screen I shudder, my girlfriend is finding it hilarious. I want him to die.

e: Same goes for the curvy goonette

e2: Also, why are Mel and Sue?

Mel and Sue are because I love them and they are stupid and cheerful and adorable.

Jordan looks like he probably watches that My Little Pony cartoon and draws fanart of them in his spare time. And yet he's still not annoying me as much as the Belfast hipster with the beard that's eating his face.

My current favourites are Cake Guillotine Lady and Crazy Scottish Norman.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Irisi posted:

Mel and Sue are because I love them and they are stupid and cheerful and adorable.

I guess their shtick is kinda Marmite-y.

I'm delighted that stupid pouty goonette is out the door though

e: Goon guy is making a Godzilla thing next week. GET HYPED

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2014

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Irisi posted:

My current favourites are Cake Guillotine Lady and Crazy Scottish Norman.

Neither of their homemade bakeware has matched the wooden buttplug from last year.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Norman all the way, when he was talking about clogs and flares he reminded me of the Meat Safe Murderer.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just start with any Partridge related stuff really. Its all excellent.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gorn Myson posted:

Just start with any Partridge related stuff really. Its all excellent.

True.

Once you've finished watching it all (including Mid Morning Matters), be sure to check out the book, it fills in lots of gaps around the character. If you're into that sort of thing, the audiobook is excellent, as it's read by Partridge, which is how the book sounded in my head while I was reading it.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Irisi posted:

And yet he's still not annoying me as much as the Belfast hipster with the beard that's eating his face.

I expected Nirish Aaron Paul to go out. But watching him try not to swear a few times was pretty entertaining.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mickolution posted:

True.

Once you've finished watching it all (including Mid Morning Matters), be sure to check out the book, it fills in lots of gaps around the character. If you're into that sort of thing, the audiobook is excellent, as it's read by Partridge, which is how the book sounded in my head while I was reading it.

The audiobook is an absolute triumph.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Mickolution posted:

True.

also its worth reading the book and listening to the audio book because the written book has some jokes that didnt work in audio

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Whenever he's talking they edit in noddy shots of the rest of the contestants looking away from their work, worried and mildly irritated, presumably to tip off any deaf viewers how annoying his voice is.
Anyone want to pick the final 3? Builder, woman in grey and... the signal ops guy?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I reckon the teenager will go a long way. She's pretty good and the camera loves her.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

The audiobook is an absolute triumph.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Uh, how can someone NOT like Mel and Sue on Bake Off, they are so adorable! Anyway, not sure where the hate for Jordan comes from. His bakes weren't great, but so far I've never felt the need to wish death upon someone for that.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

DominoDancing posted:

Uh, how can someone NOT like Mel and Sue on Bake Off, they are so adorable! Anyway, not sure where the hate for Jordan comes from. His bakes weren't great, but so far I've never felt the need to wish death upon someone for that.

I dont, I loving hate them with their twee quirkyness. Should also mention, just incase anyone is keeping a tally, that I do not find them attractive

Also I hate when people rave about that show with Giles Coren (dont find him attractive either) and Sue Perkins, that was awful too and I'd go as far as to say the only way to make it worse would be to add Fearne Cotton

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
I don't see how you can hate them. They're pretty harmless fun.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

RedLobster posted:

I don't see how you can hate them. They're pretty harmless fun.

Their quirky and smarmy ways paired with forced wackyness like chasing each other round over chocolate ganache

I think its mainly Sue I hate and that rubs off on Mel.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

The Big Taff Man posted:

twee quirkyness

Isn't this exactly what Bake Off is?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

DaWolfey posted:

Isn't this exactly what Bake Off is?

No its a competitive baking contest that features Paul Hollywood making fun of Mary Berry.

Paul and Mary have such great chemistry, I saw them baking live at a food show and he loves to make fun of her, or make risque comments at her expense

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

No its a competitive baking contest that features Paul Hollywood making fun of Mary Berry.

Paul and Mary have such great chemistry, I saw them baking live at a food show and he loves to make fun of her, or make risque comments at her expense

Disliking Mel and Sue for being smarmy yet applauding Paul Hollywood for the same thing is really sexist or whatever

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Disliking Mel and Sue for being smarmy yet applauding Paul Hollywood for the same thing is really sexist or whatever

I dont believe Paul is smarmy at all, he's got a genuine affection for Mary.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
You don't like Sue and Mel but you do like smarmy (yes he totally is) Hollywood and "I don't believe in feminism" Mary Berry? For shame.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

You don't like Sue and Mel but you do like smarmy (yes he totally is) Hollywood and "I don't believe in feminism" Mary Berry? For shame.

I definately do not like Mel and Sue and given that personally I think Mary Berrys stance on feminism is correct, I dont believe in it either.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Your avatar is triggering me.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I laughed when Paul Hollywood asked that fella why he was a builder when he made such lovely cakes.

Put the trowel down mate, we need an array of mille feuille, not another stinking hospital.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Padje posted:

I laughed when Paul Hollywood asked that fella why he was a builder when he made such lovely cakes.

Put the trowel down mate, we need an array of mille feuille, not another stinking hospital.

Maybe he'd seen his building work and it was loving poo poo.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
I'm not sure many people here will be interested but Jim McDonald is back in Corrie, so he is. Hollyoaks can keep their modern-day mascara wearing genderqueers. For me, the true face of Belfast is Jim McDonald's big, red, constipated, jeans-and-jeans-shirt scowl :munch:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

gorki posted:

I'm not sure many people here will be interested but Jim McDonald is back in Corrie, so he is. Hollyoaks can keep their modern-day mascara wearing genderqueers. For me, the true face of Belfast is Jim McDonald's big, red, constipated, jeans-and-jeans-shirt scowl :munch:

He's back, so he is.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Has he still got the same stupid hair?
Saw abit of Corrie this morning it was mostly Ken being pissed off and buying his grand kid a poo poo present...

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 9, 2014

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Has he still got the same stupid hair?

I think the reason why it looks silly is because it's a hairstyle for which a mustache is mandatory. You can't update your face and leave your hair in the 80s, Jim :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

tdrules posted:

I laughed when he was talking about his kawaii cake and pretended to have to look at the word on his recipe sheet again to say what it was, and pronounced it with uncertainty. He knows the word kawaii. Knows it like the back of his hand I bet