Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't forget American Hustle. You leave feeling really really bad for his character because he sells it all so well. Standout performance, even in a film filled with fantastic actors who brought their A game.

He was also fantastic in the Unusuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He was also fantastic in the Unusuals.

His character in the Unusuals was not entirely dissimilar from Fraction's Hawkguy.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

zoux posted:

I see you play a pedant irl.

Well excuuuuUUUUUUUuuuuuuUUuUUuuUuuUUuuUuUUUUUUse me for joking around a bit on our super serious internet forum.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
John Hodgman for Dr. Strange

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Marvel won the release date chicken game and Batman Vs Superman has been moved to March 25 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dacap posted:

Marvel won the release date chicken game and Batman Vs Superman has been moved to March 25 2016

From when, and which movie was its competition?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

I think everyone knew this was coming. It would have been a disaster for WB if they stuck with trying to go up against Cap 3.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm surprised because as overstuffed as it sounds and as bad as the title is I expect Batman v. Superman to make a poo poo load of money regardless of how good it is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

I'm surprised because as overstuffed as it sounds and as bad as the title is I expect Batman v. Superman to make a poo poo load of money regardless of how good it is.

I think people would be wary of it, even with good reviews, and with how strong Cap 2 was, trying to go head to head with Cap 3 would be just suicide.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

I think people would be wary of it, even with good reviews, and with how strong Cap 2 was, trying to go head to head with Cap 3 would be just suicide.

As much as I love Cap 2, and I'd say it's probably my favorite superhero movie, I don't see Cap 3 beating Batman v. Superman. I mean, it's Batman and Superman. No matter what people who've kept up with the movie news think that's pretty much as big as superhero names get.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

From when, and which movie was its competition?

From May 6 against Captain America 3

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Deadpool posted:

As much as I love Cap 2, and I'd say it's probably my favorite superhero movie, I don't see Cap 3 beating Batman v. Superman. I mean, it's Batman and Superman. No matter what people who've kept up with the movie news think that's pretty much as big as superhero names get.

It would have been a good litmus test to see how much clout those names still held versus the new Marvel dominance. But also not a great financial decision.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

John Hodgman for Dr. Strange

Matthew Berry as Strange and Richard Ayoade as Jericho Drumm.

Ed: Vic Reeves as Strange, Bob Mortimer as Wong.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 6, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Right, but Marvel just made bank with a movie that features no big superhero names. Their advertising is amazing, and combining that with how well Cap 2 was, and Cap 3 being the first real Avengers 2 follow-up to feature one of its characters, it would likely outperform Batman v. Superman.

At best, it would cannibalize the audience for both movies. Marvel could afford to have one of its films underperform, but WB is pinning a whole lot on this film, and if it didn't perform well then it could lead to another Green Lantern disaster. They can't afford to take the chance.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason it couldn't be released a few weeks later?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Movie execs are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC Cinematic Universe Lineup?

Untitled DC Film – August 5, 2016
Untitled DC Film – June 23, 2017
Untitled DC Film – November 17, 2017
Untitled DC Film – March 23, 2018
Untitled DC Film – July 27, 2018
Untitled WB Event Film – November 16, 2018
Untitled DC Film – April 5, 2019
Untitled DC Film – June 14, 2019
Untitled DC Film – April 3, 2020
Untitled DC Film – June 19, 2020
Untitled WB Event Film – November 20, 2020

source: http://boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=changes&p=.htm

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't wait for Untitled WB Event Film in 2020!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I can't wait for Untitled WB Event Film in 2020!

The point isn't that they are all unnamed, it's that WB/DC pushed BvS up to a March release and actually have a roadmap of films slated for release. Which is like... groundbreaking for them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Marvel should move Cap 3 to match Batman v Superman's new date. Tug on Superman's cape. Then maybe do it one more time, but three times is enough to prove your point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

The point isn't that they are all unnamed, it's that WB/DC pushed BvS up to a March release and actually have a roadmap of films slated for release. Which is like... groundbreaking for them.

That depends more on if they actually happen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Deadpool posted:

That depends more on if they actually happen.

True. But I'd argue just releasing a list of potential dates slated for DC related films to the public is a huge step up for WB.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Madkal posted:

As someone alluded to earlier, here is not-Hawkeye vs not-Thanos

I can see why they want an Antman movie so badly now.

Isn't antman only capable of shrinking to the size of...an ant? Photons are a whole different scale there.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

teagone posted:

True. But I'd argue just releasing a list of potential dates slated for DC related films to the public is a huge step up for WB.

The first step is admitting that you have a problem.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Deadpool posted:

Cap 3 will probably be good, and BvS is an unknown factor. If they accidentally make a bad movie, the review differential would be discussed, at the very least, on the late night circuit, and that could easily slam their numbers. Just giving audiences a choice could make them do a bit more research.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

Marvel should move Cap 3 to match Batman v Superman's new date. Tug on Superman's cape. Then maybe do it one more time, but three times is enough to prove your point.

You don't tug on Superman's cape!

You don't split the tickets and win!

You don't risk another failure like Depp's Lone Ranger

They also won't mess around with Pym.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

theflyingorc posted:

:golfclap:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

theflyingorc posted:

I started reading this and wanted to hate it, but you won me over by the end.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

DC Cinematic Universe Lineup?

Untitled DC Film – August 5, 2016
Untitled DC Film – June 23, 2017
Untitled DC Film – November 17, 2017
Untitled DC Film – March 23, 2018
Untitled DC Film – July 27, 2018
Untitled WB Event Film – November 16, 2018
Untitled DC Film – April 5, 2019
Untitled DC Film – June 14, 2019
Untitled DC Film – April 3, 2020
Untitled DC Film – June 19, 2020
Untitled WB Event Film – November 20, 2020

source: http://boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=changes&p=.htm

A"WB Event Film" can be anything, including the Harry Potter spinoff that was announced.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The MSJ posted:

A"WB Event Film" can be anything, including the Harry Potter spinoff that was announced.

Yeah, most people are guessing the two "events" are the "Fantastic Beasts" movies or else they would have DC in the title too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
According to Marvels facebook, Gunn has said that Adam Warlock exists in the MCU.

Wait, its just people speculating due to Warlocks cocoon being in movies. God dammit offical marvel, I would expect this from E! or something, but not you.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 6, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Guardians made $11.7 million on Monday and $11.9 million on Tuesday. Which is only behind Avengers as far as the Mon-Tue following opening weekend as far as Marvel Studio movies go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Isn't antman only capable of shrinking to the size of...an ant? Photons are a whole different scale there.

No, Pym can shrink so small he goes into a whole 'nother universe.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Deadpool posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise. It could very well have beaten Cap 3, but Captain America is ultimately just one sub-franchise in an already established megafranchise, so Marvel can afford to take the hit.

BvS, on the other hand, is supposed to set up at least a half-decade worth of shared DCCU films after years of stand-alone films and failures. WB can't risk anything getting in the way of the film grossing as much as possible.

Two huge superhero films opening on the same date isn't exactly great for distributors, either.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I'd see both, but I'd see Cap first.

I've had a day to sit back and think about Guardians after finally seeing it last night and my opinion is that is was even better than I hoped it would be. I didn't think Batista would make Drax so funny. I thought Rocket would be annoying. I didn't think Groot would have so much heart. But I was wrong, the movie was great and I loved going into that post credits sting unspoiled. Holy poo poo!

My only complaint, and it's a tiny one, is that I still think Rocket should have had a British accent.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Regardidn GotG, I can't remember the last time the chunks of a movie stuck in my head this long.

Oooo child things are gonna get easier, OOOooo child things'll get brighter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One part I found particularly hilarious for some reason was right after they break out of prison Rocket complains that the guards just wadded his pants into a ball but actually folded Peter's.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Dr Strange should team up with She-Hulk, then. She's done space law; why not help out with magic law?

Fraction's Defenders had a She-Hulk, but I guess that doesn't count.

muscles like this? posted:

One part I found particularly hilarious for some reason was right after they break out of prison Rocket complains that the guards just wadded his pants into a ball but actually folded Peter's.

That got such a big laugh out of me, I was shushed.

Also, ...

#DuchovnyForStrange - He's the right age and at the right point in his career. If Marvel can spin "rehabilitated alcoholic" for Iron Man, they can spin "rehabilitated sexual deviant" for Doctor Strange.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The movie (and a lot of MCU films) is full of little honest moments like this. It's really what sets the MCU's sense of humor apart from a lot of "funny" genre fiction. The characters aren't making jokes and it doesn't sound like a punchline. It's just an honest thing that a real living creature would think in that moment. It's why reactions are so funny when done well. When a Youtuber shows a stupid clip then makes a stupid face for 20 seconds it isn't funny. But Peter Quill going "Holy poo poo." when he hears how much the orb is going for is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Weren't those Drax's pants, Peter was still looking for his stuff when Rocket said that.

Just saw it again Drax rocketing Nebula after she insulted Gamora was great. So much good stuff in this movie, every scene fights with the others with something fun to remember in my head.

There really needs to be more fun movies like this.

• Locked thread