Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I remember when I was a kid, during an American History unit about the Revolutionary War, our class wrote out our own Declaration in response to what we perceived as slavery-level homework assignments, lack of free time, etc. The authors tried making it sound all official and eloquent and present our grievances in a coherent, logical form. It came out sounding childish, bitchy, and laughably terrible. We got into quite a bit of trouble over some language that was edited after the fact by the two organizers.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if they're in the right here or if Hex DID directly copy some code or something, but the thing you linked doesn't read like any other legal document I've ever seen. It reminds me painfully of that Declaration we wrote against homework as children.

That just doesn't read like a formal, legal document being presented to a judge. In section I.C., they even say:

That sounds a lot like, "We're not admitting the defendant was right, but we're now providing exactly what they said we didn't provide in the first place."

My point being, I guess, gently caress the current interpretation and enforcement of US Copyright Law.

EDIT: I tried going back to save a copy and it appears to be hosed up now :ohdear:

I am a lawyer, but I know almost nothing about this particular field and to even have a coherent opinion on the merits of the case would require me to basically figure out the law of the land in this field.

But it sounds like Cryptozoic filed a motion to dismiss for failure to state a cause of action. Its just a procedural motion that states that the original complaint doesn't say what it needs to say in order to proceed as a lawsuit. Legal documents require that you allege specific facts which would, on their face, demonstrate an entitlement to legal relief. If Wizards' original complaint didn't demonstrate some kind of financial loss in the forum in which the case was filed, which is what it sounds like here, you could file a motion demanding that they dismiss the case for failure to state necessary facts. But that doesn't mean Wizards can't just "fix" the operative document to allege those things, and indeed, at the pleading stage, it makes little difference whether the allegations are true unless they can't possibly be true. This kind of thing is mostly a vehicle for defense attorneys to increase their billable hours. It typically doesn't mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

But it sounds like Cryptozoic filed a motion to dismiss for failure to state a cause of action. Its just a procedural motion that states that the original complaint doesn't say what it needs to say in order to proceed as a lawsuit. Legal documents require that you allege specific facts which would, on their face, demonstrate an entitlement to legal relief. If Wizards' original complaint didn't demonstrate some kind of financial loss in the forum in which the case was filed, which is what it sounds like here, you could file a motion demanding that they dismiss the case for failure to state necessary facts. But that doesn't mean Wizards can't just "fix" the operative document to allege those things, and indeed, at the pleading stage, it makes little difference whether the allegations are true unless they can't possibly be true. This kind of thing is mostly a vehicle for defense attorneys to increase their billable hours. It typically doesn't mean anything.

Assume I'm a fourth grader. Now can you run that by me again?

Also, the permanent working link again, since my last post was on the bottom of the page:

https://search.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/10864942

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Assume I'm a fourth grader. Now can you run that by me again?

Also, the permanent working link again, since my last post was on the bottom of the page:

https://search.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/10864942

Starting a lawsuit requires you file a document that alleges A, B and C. Crypto's response (which I haven't read so I'm assuming) likely just says "well, Wizards didn't put an allegation about C."

Its just technical legal poo poo that doesn't mean anything.

Edit: Having looked at nothing other than the Table of Contents of Wizards' response, this is exactly what it is.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
4th grader: When you sue someone, you have to say that they've done something wrong according to the law and what it is. Hex says Wizards didn't. Wizards say they did, but while saying they did, they're adding in more stuff to be sure of it. The court in the end won't pay too much attention to the fact that the original Wizards case wasn't as well honed as it could have been so long as it't mostly in shape by the time everything comes to a head.

That's what I'm getting from Grimace, anyway.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Starting a lawsuit requires you file a document that alleges A, B and C. Crypto's response (which I haven't read so I'm assuming) likely just says "well, Wizards didn't put an allegation about C."

Its just technical legal poo poo that doesn't mean anything.

Bureaucracy, got it.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

It's not just bureaucracy, it's the adversarial legal system in a nutshell. Each side gets to make an argument, and then the other side gets to rebut it. Wizards filed a complaint; Cryptozoic claimed the complaint was insufficient; and Wizards responded by amending their complaint.

Or in a manner more relevant to the thread, Wizards announced a lawsuit and put in on the stack; Cryptozoic cast Dismiss targeting the lawsuit; then Wizards used an effect making their lawsuit (hopefully) an invalid target for Dismiss.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

CellBlock posted:

It's not just bureaucracy, it's the adversarial legal system in a nutshell. Each side gets to make an argument, and then the other side gets to rebut it. Wizards filed a complaint; Cryptozoic claimed the complaint was insufficient; and Wizards responded by amending their complaint.

Or in a manner more relevant to the thread, Wizards announced a lawsuit and put in on the stack; Cryptozoic cast Dismiss targeting the lawsuit; then Wizards used an effect making their lawsuit (hopefully) an invalid target for Dismiss.

Repeat until someone runs out of Mana(read: money) or a Judge(different outfit, similar purpose) decides to intervene and we finally go to court.

Could be years though. :v:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

CellBlock posted:

So Wizards casts Stoic Rebuttal targeting Dismiss. How will Cryptozoic respond?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What nobody knows is that Wizards is trying to play a land face down as a Morph creature and hoping they can get away with not revealing it at the game's end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

CellBlock posted:

Actually, the best way to put it is that Cryptozoic cast Remand. The lawsuit doesn't go to the graveyard if Cryptozoic wins. Even if Crypto won this motion, Wizards would just be told to fix the lawsuit to comply with the rules.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Regardless of whether or not they have a legal leg to stand on they're still entitled to attempt the lawsuit.

If it goes to court and they lose they can't try again. Well... technically they could but it'd have to be for different reasons.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ramos posted:

If you guys aren't sick of it yet, here's a minor update on legal stuff between Hex and Magic. The main thing to take away from this document is that Wizards isn't trying to claim that mechanics were stolen but instead saying that Magic in its entirety was taken and repurposed with the intent of making profit.

I don't know, they can definitely make that claim, but it might be stepping too far over as there are a significant amount of differences between the two games. Note that this document was made specifically in response to Cryptozic's dismissal.

I think the big thing for wizards was that Hex decided to blatantly copy the color wheel, which is a huge part of magic itself.
It influences card design and mechanics, as well as playstyle.
If Hex never did that, I don't think this lawsuit would have happened.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If Hex had added a 6th color we... would probably still be having this conversation honestly but at least Hex would be a decent name for the game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

If Hex had added a 6th color we... would probably still be having this conversation honestly but at least Hex would be a decent name for the game.

Pent doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

What would the flavor of a 6th color in magic be?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

Purple.

Also the card design thread did a contest about 6th colors a while back.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/dreams-damned-2014-08-06

Wizards posted up an Ob Nixilis story, for the purpose of setting up a Zendikar return eventually, I imagine.

Gensuki posted:

Maro posts about it a lot. They never got far enough with the idea of Purple in Planar Chaos to really think about it, but the apparent theme was stupid-broken cards due to the fact that Purple would only exist in a very small amount of Magic cards that was hard to actually play, e.g. Hymn to Tourach, Mana Drain, etc.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 6, 2014

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So, in the interest of wild speculation, I'm guessing that since Khans is a time travel block, Duey is going to be Tarkir of the ancient past, and Louie is going to be alternate reality Tarkir like in Back to the Future 2 where Biff runs the world.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Froghammer posted:

So, in the interest of wild speculation, I'm guessing that since Khans is a time travel block, Duey is going to be Tarkir of the ancient past, and Louie is going to be alternate reality Tarkir like in Back to the Future 2 where Biff runs the world.

Nicol Bolas has his fingers in many sinister pies. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Set three is where we find out that Tarkir and Zendikar are the same place.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

Set three is where we find out that Tarkir and Zendikar are the same place.

Fetches still aren't in it. The groans would be audible from space. :v:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angry Grimace posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/dreams-damned-2014-08-06

Wizards posted up an Ob Nixilis story, for the purpose of setting up a Zendikar return eventually, I imagine.

Nahiri - a Kor planeswalker? The Lithomancer, maybe? :allears:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Froghammer posted:

Who are Duey and Louie?

Also, I would like for Tezzeret to be semi-immortal (not ageless, but a crazy old wizened wizard) in Tarkir's future. Just so we can have Nicky in the past, Sarkhan in the present and [3rd minion] in the future.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gensuki posted:

Who are Duey and Louie?
The placeholder development names for the next year's block sets were Huey, Dewey and Louie.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

Who are Duey and Louie?

Also, I would like for Tezzeret to be semi-immortal (not ageless, but a crazy old wizened wizard) in Tarkir's future. Just so we can have Nicky in the past, Sarkhan in the present and [3rd minion] in the future.

Huey, Duey, and Louie are the development code names for Khans blocks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

They're also ducks. May or may not be related to Duck Fayden.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Froghammer posted:

I don't think so. The time-shifted version has to be Set Three since they went out of their way to make sure you don't draft Set One with Set Three.

Ramos posted:

They're also ducks. May or may not be related to Duck Fayden.

The dumb part is that Dack Fayden's "story" involves him doing poo poo on Theros, despite him never appearing in the block in any way, shape or form.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

The dumb part is that Dack Fayden's "story" involves him doing poo poo on Theros, despite him never appearing in the block in any way, shape or form.

As near as I can tell, that's what happens on every plane since they started making the drat comics. Though he occasionally shows up on-plane in promo art:

This is supposed to be him getting choked by Sorin on Innistrad, I think? I have never read any of these comics, but that wiki article seems to think so. Also, holy poo poo there have been a lot more Drink Faygo promos than I thought there were. Some of them are even decently valuable!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Minority Deport posted:

As near as I can tell, that's what happens on every plane since they started making the drat comics. Though he occasionally shows up on-plane in promo art:

This is supposed to be him getting choked by Sorin on Innistrad, I think? I have never read any of these comics, but that wiki article seems to think so. Also, holy poo poo there have been a lot more Drink Faygo promos than I thought there were. Some of them are even decently valuable!

My personal favorite is Dack Tide.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Minority Deport posted:

He's a comic book character in a larger multiverse. Ergo: Nothing he ever does will have a lasting effect anyway. I'm sure there's a lot of continuity wank to go with it though.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

man I feel this card is a significant down grade over the original anyway. Nothing beats "Take your time." in simplicity and the art.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

^^^I feel like the last time Wizards made a new piece of flavor text that I actively liked was ROE, but I'm probably missing some since then. I don't know what it is I don't like about modern flavor text, I guess it's that a lot of it feels like it tries too hard?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

^^^I feel like the last time Wizards made a new piece of flavor text that I actively liked was ROE, but I'm probably missing some since then. I don't know what it is I don't like about modern flavor text, I guess it's that a lot of it feels like it tries too hard?

Tries too hard is a pretty apt description of the modern art and flavor in too many cases, yes.

Dack Fayden really works when his campy ridiculousness is played to the hilt, like we do in this thread, but I get the vibe that somewhere, someone at Wizards thinks that they're playing him completely straight and that he is awesome as such.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I know you guys hated my proxy Sapphire, but here's my newest acquisition.

Yeah I like Doctor Who. Eat me.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Minority Deport posted:

This makes me like Sorin even more than using his card on Oloro EDH players does.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

What a Judas posted:

I hate Doctor Who, but that's a nice piece of work. If I liked the show I would want that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

What a Judas posted:

Does it slide down from the weight, or is it a mirror trick.

If it is a weighted thing, it is worth maybe $10
Mirrors put it at $30?

Either way this is much neater than the card.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Gensuki posted:

Does it slide down from the weight, or is it a mirror trick.

If it is a weighted thing, it is worth maybe $10
Mirrors put it at $30?

Either way this is much neater than the card.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. The bottom slides up into the box. There is no mirror trick.

It's also made of resin and handpainted, so it's quite a bit more than you think.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

What a Judas posted:

There's a player at my LGS that has the same thing.

I'm assuming you got it from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
There's an enchiridion made by the same guy

• Locked thread