Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Those sound like the kind of libertarians who'll be actual liberals in another ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
They sound like Democrats from the suburbs.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

hhhat posted:

Unsurprising revelation regarding Tea Party group using donations for supporting the troops to not support the troops.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/05/exclusive-pro-troop-charity-pays-off-tea-party-cronies-instead.html

Here's the video breakdown on Maddow from last night.

http://on.msnbc.com/V0pEpt

Getting a strong case of Déjà vu off this, didn't nearly the exact same thing happen before with a Tea Party charity group?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Axe Master posted:

This morning at work I came across a...delightful news story about the "Liberty Kids" in California."these millennials say they are more comfortable with Republicans' emphasis on freedom than Democrats' penchant for regulation."

Peep the bolded passage. Those warmongering democrats getting us involved in three wars in the past 2 decades!!! Could this be the new face of the Republican party!? (Probably not)

They are actually perfect for the modern republican party and their routine dismissal of real-world evidence to the point of hurting their elections when they fail to realistically evaluate their opponent.

The "Romney Landslide Victory" generation of young republicans.

I actually kind of wish Nixon were alive today just to hear the tapes he'd have mocking these witless twerps.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 6, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Inaccurately evaluating your opponents is a GOP tradition. This is the party that lost to FDR 4 times in a row, despite their insistence that he was an idiot cripple.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Getting a strong case of Déjà vu off this, didn't nearly the exact same thing happen before with a Tea Party charity group?

As far as I'm concerned it happens with every Tea Party charity group.

Now whether it gets reported or not...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Axe Master posted:

Peep the bolded passage. Those warmongering democrats getting us involved in three wars in the past 2 decades!!! Could this be the new face of the Republican party!? (Probably not)
I've been reading articles about how The Kidz Today are gonna grow up to be the most libertarian generation ever, just you wait and see! for almost thirty years. It never pans out, this is just the same decades-old youth outreach that Republicans are always crowing about (to diminishing effect). All the polling shows that millenials are trending strongly Democratic and regard the Republican party about as positively as dick cancer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Inaccurately evaluating your opponents is a GOP tradition. This is the party that lost to FDR 4 times in a row, despite their insistence that he was an idiot cripple.
Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

wrong thread

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FMguru posted:

I've been reading articles about how The Kidz Today are gonna grow up to be the most libertarian generation ever, just you wait and see! for almost thirty years. It never pans out, this is just the same decades-old youth outreach that Republicans are always crowing about (to diminishing effect). All the polling shows that millenials are trending strongly Democratic and regard the Republican party about as positively as dick cancer.

The current theory about them becoming libertarian seems to rely mostly on how out-of-step with the country the GOP has become. Very few people under thirty are anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-regulation, and anti-health care. Unless being as rich as possible is more important than those things, then they'll vote for the GOP.

edit

http://www.creationmoments.com/radio/transcripts/how-dinosaurs-died

Soooo, we know what Jack Chick thinks happened with the dinosaurs, but I can't figure out what these people are claiming. Are they saying that Noah didn't bother to take any dinosaurs because he was a dick?

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 6, 2014

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Axe Master posted:

This morning at work I came across a...delightful news story about the "Liberty Kids" in California."these millennials say they are more comfortable with Republicans' emphasis on freedom than Democrats' penchant for regulation."

It's tells you something about the Republican party that the "Liberty KIDS" are actually all like mid-20's. Even their kids are old.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

The current theory about them becoming libertarian seems to rely mostly on how out-of-step with the country the GOP has become. Very few people under thirty are anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-regulation, and anti-health care. Unless being as rich as possible is more important than those things, then they'll vote for the GOP.

Well, anti abortion that's not true:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/126581/generational-differences-abortion-narrow.aspx

They're better than the 65+ group but they also have more people that think it should be illegal in all circumstances.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Not to derail but could somebody explain why the hell Glenn Beck just went on a 30 min rant about Gorge Soros pulling his money from soda stream is the end of Israel and makes him a holocaust participent??

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AcidRonin posted:

Not to derail but could somebody explain why the hell Glenn Beck just went on a 30 min rant about Gorge Soros pulling his money from soda stream is the end of Israel and makes him a holocaust participent??

Doing anything to potentially harm Israel makes you anti-semitic.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Soda Stream is an Israeli company and has factories in West Bank settlements. Been in the news before with Scarlett Johansson:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-25958176

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

computer parts posted:

They're better than the 65+ group but they also have more people that think it should be illegal in all circumstances.

Well, basically 8% of them are more supportive of all circumstances, and an extra 2% (the unknowns for 65+ are a higher percentage than 18-29) of 18-29s are against all instead of undecided or unknown. So really, it's just more likely that the classic "I'm an undecided voter" fallacy is less effective and people are revealing their tendencies a little more in polling--especially since most studies are showing people identify on party over ideology at present.

Also, since this is the right-wing media thread, it's worth noting too that 18-29s have been subject to the most anti-choice propaganda of any generation in American history. poo poo, I was a kid who grew up in the exact environment Jesus Camp portrayed, and the parts where you had to pray for righteous judges and an end to Roe v. Wade was probably toned down for the movie. Abortion will decrease as a wedge issue some, but it's going to take the evangelical megachurch movement dying off before you ever see that against all number truly decline.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

computer parts posted:

I didn't see any breakdown by sex, did I miss it? I'm curious how many people under 30 that're against it completely are male. It also makes sense since the low point for the anti-abortion crowd was under Clinton's first term and it's gone up steadily since then (thanks Bush!), but still frustrating to see so much support for complete illegality for those under 30. Perhaps not having a connection to a time before RvW when abortions routinely killed either one or both people involved leads to people not understanding what would happen if it was completely illegal.

I also don't get people that are against it in cases up incest/rape, that's loving crazy.

AcidRonin posted:

Glenn Beck just went on a 30 min rant about Gorge Soros is a holocaust participant.

ftfy

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

quote:

Soros was born in Budapest, Hungary, to a non-observant Jewish family. His mother Elizabeth (also known as Erzsebet) came from a family that owned a thriving silk shop. His father Tivadar (also known as Teodoro) was a lawyer[12] and had been a prisoner of war during and after World War I until he escaped from Russia and rejoined his family in Budapest.[13][14] The two married in 1924. Tivadar was an Esperantist writer and taught Soros to speak Esperanto in his childhood.[15] Soros later said that he grew up in a Jewish home and that his parents were cautious with their religious roots.[16] Soros was thirteen years old in March 1944 when Nazi Germany occupied Hungary.[17] Soros took a job with the Jewish Council, which had been established during the Nazi occupation of Hungary. Soros later described this time to writer Michael Lewis:

Sounds like a real Jew hater to me. I'm glad Mormon Glenn Beck keeps self-hating Jews like me apprised of these things.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/08/05/what-is-george-soros-up-to-this-time/

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 6, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Axe Master posted:

The 26-year-old aspiring restaurateur

"The 26-year-old aspiring bottomless equity pit"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AcidRonin posted:

Filled 30 minutes of air time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Axe Master posted:

I used to be a republican/right wing/libertarian.

Likely if not for the economic collapse in 2008 I would very much still be one.

Very hard to want to pull the lever for those peeps when you discover who's responsible for putting you in a large amount of college debt with a very bleak future that alternates between underemployment and unemployment.

Especially when their response to such a problem is to blather on and blame Obama, then find new ways to protest against Gay Marriage/Mexicans.

I would gather there's quite a few like me.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://thewilderness.me/on-their-own-israel-cannot-count-on-the-us/

quote:

Individually when Huffington Post, Mashable, Gawker, NPR, Politico, Vox, CNN or MSNBC runs Hamas approved propaganda, it doesn’t amount to much but lunatics with black bandanna’s on their twitter accounts shouting accusations of death to Zionism. But together it adds up to an almost insurmountable wave of public influence especially among younger generations. It doesn’t matter if it’s “Israel is committing genocide against children” or “I can see Russia from my house!” Obama progressives have always relied on winning the soundbite war first. This is no different.

And then of course there is Hollywood.

Everyone from Tom Cruise’s ex fake girlfriend and her husband, to pop and aged grunge stars. People like Eddie Vedder and Rihanna don’t speak out on social media or on stage because they actually understand the conflict in Gaza. They speak out because the silent complicity of Barack Obama allows them to do so.

Rihanna picks sides in Middle East conflicts about as well as she picks her boyfriends.

Rihanna tweetBut none of that matters. Does anyone above an 8th grade education level actually believe Rihanna understands the nuances of Middle East policy as it pertains to the Gaza Strip? If you asked Rihanna what a blood libel is, would she offer any sort of coherent response beyond a twerk induced moan? No. She tweeted out #FreePalestine because it’s the cool thing to do.

With a single tweet, she can wield more damage to Israel’s reputation with young people than any NY Times columnist. It’s easy for anyone with any remote interest on the motivations of Israel to ingest a 140 character tweet from a pop star or read a graph featuring an imaginary bridge from flash card site. Researching the brutality of Hamas, who they are and what their motivations are is much more tedious.

This is how it’s done. Progressive media pundits fueled by Ivy league classroom sentiment slowly erode away generational support for Israel and the Obama Administration sits idly by and allows the narrative to take hold.

It’s a dangerous mix of ideology colliding with ineptitude. The price of having a “Liberal democracy”

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, the Republican Party should just be renamed the Privilege Party. It's really easy to vote for the status quo when you are economically stable and not oppressed in any way because of your skin color or sexuality. The economy tanking probably did more to hurt the Republicans than any of their bigoted beliefs or idiotic comments about women.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reeks of jealousy. "Why do people pay attention to Rhianna rather than me, the aspiring columnist?"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
*re-arms israel*

*gives israel billions of dollars*

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Sent this to an Israeli apologist who I try to be on good terms with :shobon:

She responded with strongly worded wishes to introduce the author to a tire iron.

Then she sent me this. I think I lost this exchange. :smithicide:

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Reeks of jealousy. "Why do people pay attention to Rhianna rather than me, the aspiring columnist?"

"Celebrities are saying stuff I don't agree with. Thanks, Obama!"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, the Republican Party should just be renamed the Privilege Party. It's really easy to vote for the status quo when you are economically stable and not oppressed in any way because of your skin color or sexuality. The economy tanking probably did more to hurt the Republicans than any of their bigoted beliefs or idiotic comments about women.

They have literally scorched the earth in that sense. Very few people in terrible positions seem to want to vote for a party when their answer to why you're stuck in the situation you're in is "WELL IT'S YOUR FAULT!".

When the boomers die off they're really going to be pathetically irrelevant.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

FuzzySkinner posted:

When the boomers die off they're really going to be pathetically irrelevant.

We hope. I'm more afraid of what the GOP will morph into or be replaced by in the future. Will the Democratic party assume that position while a more progressive party takes its place as the left? Or will the GOP morph into the Tea Party or something else...or worse?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It's funny, conservatives pay so much more attention to what celebrities say than liberals do. They obsess over it as the true enemy of their movement, I guess as a way of distracting themselves from the reality that they're loving wrong about everything all the time.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Then she sent me this. I think I lost this exchange. :smithicide:
Send her this back, or just Google some other sources...

quote:

John McCain Was For Trading Taliban Prisoners For Sgt. Bergdahl Before He Was Against It
Doug Mataconis · Tuesday, June 3, 2014 · 12 Comments

In the days since Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was freed from Taliban captivity in exchange for five prisoners held at the prison at Guantanamo Bay, one of the strongest critics of the deal has been Arizona Senator John McCain:

Current and former U.S. officials welcomed the return of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only American soldier held prisoner in Afghanistan, but voiced concern about the release of five members of the Taliban who had been held at the Guantanamo Bay as part of a negotiated prisoner swap.

“These are the hardest of the hard core. These are the highest high-risk people, and others that we have released have gone back into the fight,” said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in an interview on “Face the Nation,” adding that he was disturbed the Taliban named the prisoners they wanted in exchange for Bergdahl’s freedom.

“We need to know more information about the conditions of where they are going to be,” McCain added. “It is disturbing that these individuals would have the ability to reenter the fight.”

(…)

For McCain, the chief concern is what will happen to the detainees once they are released.

“If they reenter the fight then it is going to put American lives at risk and none of us want that to happen…if they are able to have after a year in Qatar to do whatever they want to do there’s no doubt they will reenter the fight,” he said.

Interestingly, McCain was singing a different tune four months ago:

Sen. John McCain says he now would be inclined to support trading a Taliban prisoner held at Guantanamo Bay for a U.S. soldier held captive in Afghanistan.

In 2012, McCain called the idea of negotiating with the Taliban “bizarre” and “highly questionable,” but on Tuesday he said on CNN’s ”Anderson Cooper 360″ that he would be open to a swap now being discussed.

U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has been held by a group with ties to the Taliban for almost four years, and the group has demanded the United States release five Taliban prisoners in exchange for him.

The Washington Post reported that U.S. officials confirmed that talks among diplomats and the Pentagon were under way. The official U.S. policy is not to negotiate with terrorists, but the military is winding down operations there by the end of the year and could risk leaving Bergdahl behind, CNN noted.

McCain said his stance has changed only because the previous proposal was to release five “hard-core” Taliban leaders as a “confidence-building measure.” The current proposal would be an actual exchange of prisoners.

“I would be inclined to support such a thing, depending on a lot of details,” he said.

What a difference four months makes.

Update: There’s also been some flip-flopping on this issue from the White House.

Flip-flopping on both sides, but McCain clearly knew about it.

E: No big deal!

There is also this reporting The Taliban was threatening to murder Bowe if the details of the exchange were released to the public.

And the prisoners ended up sequestered in Qatar for a year after release.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 6, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

beatlegs posted:

It's funny, conservatives pay so much more attention to what celebrities say than liberals do. They obsess over it as the true enemy of their movement, I guess as a way of distracting themselves from the reality that they're loving wrong about everything all the time.
They really are starfuckers at heart, as you can see anytime some C- or D-list celeb announces they are conservative or republican and they go head-over-heels for them. Whooooo Ted Nugent!

They also have this very weird notion of how culture works, and they believe that people (ahem, sheeple) are only liberal because they want to emulate their showbiz heroes, so if the equivalent of George Clooney or Brad Pitt came out as conservative, then millions of Americans would switch their party affiliations overnight.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Isn't Robert Downey Jr vocally conservative? Following that Rihanna hater's logic, shouldn't his MAGICAL A-LIST STAR POWER manipulate thousands of malleable nerd minds into voting straight-ticket Republican?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

I also don't get people that are against it in cases up incest/rape, that's loving crazy.

It doesn't have to be anything more than foolish consistency in beliefs. Certain people have to be consistent in their belief that abortion is wrong, even if the outcome under certain circumstances is absurd. The same way a libertarian who believes that markets are self-clearing, so government intervention is harmful, also believes that government regulation in any manner- in food safety, for example- is harmful, even when the result of this belief is people being killed by easily preventable food-borne illnesses.

This is why I hate it when people say "At least they're consistent!" of libertarians.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

beatlegs posted:

This is incredibly true, I never pay attention or hear about any of this crap some random celebrity says/endorse until I hear a conservative bitch about it like its the end of the world and how I need to stop worshiping these evil leftist celebrities.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think about the only time I take a celebrities POV serious is when they're discussing something like gay rights.

For someone like say, Stone Cold Steve Austin to come out in support of gay rights I think damages a lot of anti-gay causes because of what he's supposed to represent.

On the other hand, when Adrian Peterson was against gay rights ,INSTANTLY the AMA came to his support.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

loving Rhianna brainwashing the youth of America into thinking the massmurder of children is wrong.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 7, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And I especially love the "And the Obama administration sits idly by..."

Can you imagine a president allowing people to voice their opinions freely? It's un-American! He must be impeached!

Unless Democrats want that, so he mustn't (but he should {but I didn't say that, some Democrat said I did [but he should]})

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

beatlegs posted:

I think there is really something to the idea that Conservatives and Liberals process reality in completely different ways. The research on this topic is still in its infancy, but from my completely layman's perspective seems to be promising.

Speaking from my own personal experiences being raised in a proto Tea Party cult, it makes sense. The people I grew up around got all their views and ideas from people they perceived as moral authorities of one form or another. This went hand in hand with their ideas about entertainment as well. Entertainment wasn't supposed to be just relaxing, there was a much deeper significance there. Your entire environment was meant to reinforce "truth" and the act of choosing to watch an entertainer meant also embracing that entertainers truth. Since the entertainer was in a de-facto position of authority, it was expected that you would embrace their ideas as readily as you enjoyed their act. There was no distinction between the music of an entertainer and the "truth" that informed that music.

All entertainment was thus more akin to a morality play than anything else, in their mindset. By listening to Metallica you also accept the (supposed) Satanism of Metallica into yourself, transforming you into a Satanist.

In this mindset if someone is popular it is because a large number of people like them. This means liking both whatever they are famous for, and liking whatever beliefs they may have. Thusly if Rihanna says Israel bad, then her fans automatically accept that Israel is bad. If they didn't accept that Israel was bad, then they would also stop being her fans.

It is a worldview almost totally devoid of nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It doesn't have to be anything more than foolish consistency in beliefs. Certain people have to be consistent in their belief that abortion is wrong, even if the outcome under certain circumstances is absurd. The same way a libertarian who believes that markets are self-clearing, so government intervention is harmful, also believes that government regulation in any manner- in food safety, for example- is harmful, even when the result of this belief is people being killed by easily preventable food-borne illnesses.

This is why I hate it when people say "At least they're consistent!" of libertarians.

I've done this before, but more as a joke since I've never met a full-on libertarian. They always fail the test at some point, be it abortion, FDA, EPA, DOE, or whatever program they don't want to be rid of entirely.