Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Marx posted:

Yeah, I'm working my third guy through 10.4/.4 gearing. I'm not looking to experiment, I'm looking to do what works most expeditiously.

:eyepop:

That's an impressive (perhaps even insane) level of dedication. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

prefect posted:

:eyepop:

That's an impressive (perhaps even insane) level of dedication. :tipshat:

Eh, it's been two years. Only thing insane about it is still managing to log in I guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Marx posted:

Eh, it's been two years. Only thing insane about it is still managing to log in I guess.

I've created a few alts, because I really want to replay the main story missions, but I've only gotten one of them to the Savage Coast before giving up. (Also because it's so hard to go back to slow-motion running when you're used to fully-upgraded sprinting.)

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
To be fair, one of my characters was brought up to speed exploiting lair dynamite and XP boosts awhile back. So that took all of a couple of days of throwing 1 sec cast infinite high damage dynamite at stuff in the Quarry.

Man, those were the good old days.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I can tank and hold aggro against 10.4/4 using 14k hp. Aggro is not hard to handle. Stop being bad.

Are you THE WARCHITECHT? Can I have your autograph? I can hold aggro sometimes and I'm not even a tank, it's pretty boss.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Secondly, shorter fights are desirable because the gearing process for the endgame is incredibly grindy. To get to full 10.4/10.5 gear, you will need to repeat the same dungeons hundreds of times. Naturally, the content eventually gets stale and most people come to want to get through it as quickly as possible.

So yeah, you can gear/build however you want. I'm just explaining the reasons WHY the culture around NMs places so much importance on DPS.

This makes sense, but it renders a lot of the advice given here irrelevant, because a lot of people asking questions haven't done the Polaris 500 times and the people supporting these cultural ideas about builds and nightmares can't explain much beyond "gotta skip the night phase! and all the stuff that squid guy does!". Which I guess beats "stop being bad! lul", but not by much.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 6, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

litany of gulps posted:

Are you THE WARCHITECHT? Can I have your autograph? I can hold aggro sometimes and I'm not even a tank, it's pretty boss.

This makes sense, but it renders a lot of the advice given here irrelevant, because a lot of people asking questions haven't done the Polaris 500 times and the people supporting these cultural ideas about builds and nightmares can't explain much beyond "gotta skip the night phase! and all the stuff that squid guy does!". Which I guess beats "stop being bad! lul", but not by much.

You are a goddamned idiot. We have explained why we do this many times now, and we have done so expressly in response to your angry, angry questions. We have given different advice to the new people asking about builds. Your incessant goalpost movement is behind tiresome.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So uhh, anyone want to run some dungeons or log into the game and play sometime? Last week it was only me and motors and we couldn't find a tank :(

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

You are a goddamned idiot. We have explained why we do this many times now, and we have done so expressly in response to your angry, angry questions. We have given different advice to the new people asking about builds. Your incessant goalpost movement is behind tiresome.

*polishes monocle*

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

litany of gulps posted:

Are you THE WARCHITECHT? Can I have your autograph?

Actually I am indeed The Warchitect. But no you cannot have my autograph because you have bad ideas and are telling people terrible advice.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Actually I am indeed The Warchitect. But no you cannot have my autograph because you have bad ideas and are telling people terrible advice.

*lovingly buffs out an imagined imperfection in his glorious gilded Warchitect outfit*

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

litany of gulps posted:

*lovingly buffs out an imagined imperfection in his glorious gilded Warchitect outfit*

Also everyone else you're saying is wrong is a warchitect. I got mine tanking everything but they got theirs doing sick nasty dps.

And sadly that outfit is garbage and not glorious or gilded.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not a Warchitect because my tolerance for badly designed mechanics and MMO grinds in general has gotten very low, can I still point out he's wrong?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

I'm not a Warchitect because my tolerance for badly designed mechanics and MMO grinds in general has gotten very low, can I still point out he's wrong?

Sure, but so far the consensus seems to be that you're not allowed to wear more than a minor HP piece because pubbies will kick you out of their groups and the Warchitecht squad will start sperging about skipping phases in a couple of Polaris fights. Also 10%+10%+10% = 30%. So, uh, point away.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Also everyone else you're saying is wrong is a warchitect. I got mine tanking everything but they got theirs doing sick nasty dps.

And sadly that outfit is garbage and not glorious or gilded.

I'm pissed that I wasn't playing at the time you could get that cool beehive-themed yellow-and-black armor with the hexes all over it. :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

prefect posted:

I'm pissed that I wasn't playing at the time you could get that cool beehive-themed yellow-and-black armor with the hexes all over it. :argh:

It wasn't worth it. I am a more broken person for grinding that costume out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

It wasn't worth it. I am a more broken person for grinding that costume out.

I mean, Panoptic Core is nice (:smuggo:), but it doesn't have a hat. My character is bald, and I like him to wear hats.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

Sure, but so far the consensus seems to be that you're not allowed to wear more than a minor HP piece because pubbies will kick you out of their groups and the Warchitecht squad will start sperging about skipping phases in a couple of Polaris fights. Also 10%+10%+10% = 30%. So, uh, point away.

I can roll through 24's in like an hour, I have no desire to spend more than that hour on them; if you're not up to par then you're wasting the groups time. It's really that simple.

Sure, you can play with variety since that is what the game advertises: that big old wheel of skills and all. And sure, you can go through NM's without using "cookie cutter" builds. At retail everyone ran NM's with bizarre builds (I was blade/fist).

However, if you're a new player now that leaves you in a lovely spot. In order to progress (10.x+) through NM's, you basically have to find spots in groups with people who have been running these things for too long - people who don't have the patience to humor your amazing sword/shotgun dps build with 5k HP.

As things stand now, finding groups can be difficult just because most of the people who play are either geared or have no interest in NMs. Until that changes, whether through additions or reward changes or something, you're not going to find variety in NM builds outside of the PTS.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I had a real awful time holding aggro with full tank gear on when I was tanking in HF and some other elites. The group had to tell me I needed more dps to hold threat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Marx posted:

However, if you're a new player now that leaves you in a lovely spot. In order to progress (10.x+) through NM's, you basically have to find spots in groups with people who have been running these things for too long - people who don't have the patience to humor your amazing sword/shotgun dps build with 5k HP.

I've got 5K HP. :ohdear:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

prefect posted:

I've got 5K HP. :ohdear:

You're never going to hit 10.5, ever :smuggo:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Can I get a referral trial key thingy from someone pretty please :shobon:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I thought this was clear, but I mentioned the Warchitect as shorthand for people who have produced adequate results to clear all the Nightmare dungeons. In fact, I still think this is obvious if you are not actively looking for something to pick a fight about. I now regret mentioning it. I did so as a response to the comments about whether it was common to skip Ur-Draug's night phase. I can believe that it remains uncommon, because most people who play this game are not very good at it, including the designers, who cannot reliably clear their own encounters.

Expecting high enough DPS to do something like that is not, like, top-5-guilds-in-the-world territory. That is the baseline for experienced TSW players who have already done these encounters a bunch. It is just how you do things if you are experienced and geared out (i.e., if you answer an advertisement for "fast 18s" or whatever, it is what they will be expecting). As others have mentioned, if you are going to play the TSW endgame seriously, you are going to run these dungeons a fuckload of times. Because Funcom is not very good at encounter design or balancing, and because they do very little testing, the encounters can have quirks or bugs that you're just better off avoiding, or even just plain obnoxious mechanics that it's nice to skip. If you're just trying to get your Bullion for the day, skipping those things can make your dungeon runs much faster and more pleasant.

This entire conversation is a big waste of time and energy because most of the people reading this thread are either a. regulars who already do this, b. people nowhere near ready to blast through 18s, or c. you.

EDIT: Removed needlessly inflammatory language.

guppy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 6, 2014

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This entire conversation is actually an excellent argument for why you should play TSW like a single player game. If you make the mistake of joining a nightmare group with people you don't know, it might be these people!

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

This entire conversation is actually an excellent argument for why you should play TSW like a single player game. If you make the mistake of joining a nightmare group with people you don't know, it might be these people!

I'm pretty sure you've barely done any NM content, if you had this entire derail wouldn't exist.

That aside, I don't disagree with you at all. Goon groups can be some of the worst groups known to man.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Right then, I'm done with this line of conversation. Hopefully it was useful to the new folks asking questions.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

MrTheDevious posted:

Can I get a referral trial key thingy from someone pretty please :shobon:

Ill get you a referral after work, the secretworld website is blocked at work :(

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marx posted:

I'm pretty sure you've barely done any NM content, if you had this entire derail wouldn't exist.

I AM THE WARCHITECT

*thunder strikes and pubbies quake at sight of my engorged purples*

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

I AM THE WARCHITECT

*thunder strikes and pubbies quake at sight of my engorged purples*

Basically everyone has engorged purples at this point. Which is why it's lovely to give bad advice when sending new players to compete against .4s and .5s for nm spots.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Exmond posted:

Ill get you a referral after work, the secretworld website is blocked at work :(

Thanks friend!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marx posted:

Basically everyone has engorged purples at this point. Which is why it's lovely to give bad advice when sending new players to compete against .4s and .5s for nm spots.

This all started with a guy in greens asking for advice on surviving Last Train to Cairo and feeling uncomfortable going into elite dungeons. Then the sperg squad rolled up and started talking about how unthinkable it is to ever raise your HP for ANY REASON, BADS.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

People highlighted the difference between dungeon and solo builds and offered pertinent advice. If you run with more than 1970 while nming people are going to ask why and it's going to be a hassle because it's easy to blame mistakes on the person who isn't conforming, even if it's inaccurate. Depending on timezone, your pool of nm running dudes might be limited - at which point bucking the system and being a unique flower will probably hurt you in the long run as you just won't get invites. Use elites to gear up and start conforming to typical builds. Once you're in purples you can experiment since .2 gear drops like mana.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

litany of gulps posted:

This all started with a guy in greens asking for advice on surviving Last Train to Cairo and feeling uncomfortable going into elite dungeons. Then the sperg squad rolled up and started talking about how unthinkable it is to ever raise your HP for ANY REASON, BADS.

I did Last Train to Cairo completely in one night at QL 7. When I got to that first mission and forgot to use the c4, I was so sure I was undergeared. I actually killed one of those packs without it and before I could loot the paper another group spawned right on me and killed me. The rocket launcher guy was a bitch, but I remember something about making sure you can get out of his big hits stun/just run before he starts and it was cake after that. I died once to the last boss getting shotgunned off the train. Fun pack but really the issue before it was way way harder. Soon as you can use QL10 items you should just jump into elite groups, doesn't matter where you are. I had gatekeeper unlocked before finishing the first transylvania zone. Do the snow ski issue asap!!!!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Having done 18s and even some of the later nightmares with some of the people that gulps is having a fit about, unless you basically act like gulps, they're chill people who are more than happy to explain poo poo to you.

It's when you act like a boneheaded idiot who is immune to criticism that they either have nothing to do with you or call you out for being a boneheaded idiot. :shrug:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We actually said the same thing. Elites are just normals with slightly bigger numbers, you will not cause any problems by being in greens. In fact, they are designed for people in greens, that's why they award blues.

Exception: Slaughterhouse, which is now so overtuned that it's extraordinarily difficult if you're in appropriate gear.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Who is everyone in game? Id love to do some non-spergy nightmare runs but can't find anyone online! Are you all austrlian goons?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Who is everyone in game? Id love to do some non-spergy nightmare runs but can't find anyone online! Are you all austrlian goons?

I'm EvilBillMurray in game. The best bet would be to hit me up on steam username roxormancer. Then shoot me a message whenever you need a body for dungeons and if I'm around and free I'll tag along.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Raiser. And no, we have a couple Aussies and Kiwis but mostly we're American.

Also, most of us don't log in unless we know we are doing something. We usually coordinate through Steam, or you can bug Platbeard on Mumble.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Allright so in my heal gear I dont have the greatest crit chance, Ill have 15% crit chance and a heal rating of 2682. I don't really know how I can get better gear unless I can use Sequeins of the Sunrise to get some.

This is the build I am thinking of. I have a free active slot and 2 free passive slots. Any critiques or suggestions?

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#43v352472350452361_476p351955455364__866

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Exmond posted:

Allright so in my heal gear I dont have the greatest crit chance, Ill have 15% crit chance and a heal rating of 2682. I don't really know how I can get better gear unless I can use Sequeins of the Sunrise to get some.

This is the build I am thinking of. I have a free active slot and 2 free passive slots. Any critiques or suggestions?

You should decide whether your fistblood build is going to be heavy on fist or blood and concentrate on that. I can't speak of blood much since I feel I feel it's pretty underwhelming and my fistblood build is blood in mostly name only. There's Exquisite Corpse on it which I use from my health, and occasionally Cold Blooded for some encounters that require it (SH4).

Anyway, if you go with fist, you'll want to build it towards having a high critical rating and Empowerment as your passive elite. You'll also want to add Nurture on your active skills, that's one more HoT for Empowerment to proc off from. When it comes to AoE healing, Shelter is great. It's PBAoE so it requires the DPS you group with to not be retarded and stand all separated when dealing with lens and such though.

You'll probably be happy to know fisthealer is quite possibly the least gear-dependent role in the game. You can keep a tank up just fine with QL10-10.2 NM drops while saving bullions for other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Exmond posted:

I pretty much agree with Fewd. Some elaboration:

Actives look good mostly; Linked Veins kind of blows. I'd suggest either omitting it or replacing it with Blood Shield. Like Fewd, I mostly just cast The Scarlet Arts off my health if I really need it. This does mean you can only cast it periodically. Scarlet Arts in general is a matter of preference -- personally I really like it but most people here will tell you not to bother. The extra slot you might consider filling with Nurture; it's totally optional, but it's an extra HoT you can get rolling, and with Nature's Gift passive it lasts a while, and the extra HoT ticks are more chances to trigger Empowerment (see below). Usually I use Cold-Blooded as my active Elite -- the barrier can help people survive things they wouldn't normally -- but there is room once in a while for the Fist equivalent whose name escapes me -- I like it on Machine Tyrant for the shorter cooldown. Remember that Cold-Blood actually hurts you a little up front -- there are a few fights where the mechanics will cause it to kill you, which is hilarious.

I like Exquisite Corpse in a couple of different dungeons, but once you get used to having it it's nice to have in general. Since I don't keep a Blood builder, it frees up a space for both that and Scarlet Arts; since I cast off my health I have to pick which one I cast until the next time I stop bleeding.

Passives: I like most of what you have; as I said I'd toss in Nature's Gift if you are going to take Nurture. I don't think Sanguineous is really worth it. Contortionist is pretty situational; when not using it, I suggest Empowerment as your Elite. When you have all those HoTs rolling it will trigger quite a lot. Here are the other passives in my healing build, you might fill out the missing slots with these. Healing Sparks (more HoTs), Subtlety (optional, but can help you not pull threat with Cold Blooded etc.).

As Fewd said you can Fist/Blood heal anything in the game in dungeon drops. Don't sweat your heal rating.

The problem with Blood, and I started out with Blood healing, is that different barriers don't stack with each other. I think you've made the right call building your deck primarily around Fist.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread