Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

All these character reveals for Hyrule Warriors reminds me that I haven't played more than half of the Zelda games, I don't know hardly any of these guys.

Same here. I think I actually have Twilight Princess around here somewhere. I'll have to try it out. I suppose if I can read the entirety of One Piece just to know what was happening going into OPPW, I can play the post OoT Zelda games.

Also, regarding cutscenes and whatnot, they need to make a balls crazy Dynasty Warriors with Souten Kouro cutscenes. I'm looking at you Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh man, the JP voice DLC adds spoken lines for EVERYTHING. I thought the between level narration coming back was cool enough, but everyone sounds so lively in Ambition Mode! :allears:

Dumb as it is I'm tempted to restart Ambition Mode just for that.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Oh man, the JP voice DLC adds spoken lines for EVERYTHING. I thought the between level narration coming back was cool enough, but everyone sounds so lively in Ambition Mode! :allears:

Dumb as it is I'm tempted to restart Ambition Mode just for that.

Why must you taunt us poor DW8PC owners.

khorma
Jun 23, 2011
I think us DW8PC owners can apply a japanese voice mod and get them back. I'm not completely sure if they add ambition voices, but they do add between level voices.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dewgy posted:

I ran into a bit of weirdness about this, actually. One of the story mode camp discussions has English voice work. It's not even an important discussion, just two grunts chatting. I have no idea why that single camp discussion out of all the people you can talk to on each stage got voice work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/496610044989825025 Good news.

Kind of sad someone mentioned the ambition mode voices as Japanese voice acting tends to grate for me.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fuuuuck yes. There was something oddly compelling about the first one, maybe just because the post battle conversations made it a teeny bit like playing an RPG in a Warriors game. Though I am a little suprised they're making another one because the first one just seemed like a Next style early console cash-in and the second was just an XL version of the first

Luminaflare posted:

What did he post about?

A whole bunch of planetside 2 kills in a short period of time (if I was reading it right)

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Hey Brony Hunter, I'm legit interested in any more comparisons you'd like to throw out between the historical and fictional Dynasty Warriors characters. That's some fascinating stuff.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

ScottyBomb posted:

Hey Brony Hunter, I'm legit interested in any more comparisons you'd like to throw out between the historical and fictional Dynasty Warriors characters. That's some fascinating stuff.

Yeah I'll second that it was a really interesting read.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'll third that, please discuss basically every single person. Seeing the crazy exaggerated portrayals in DW is fun but whilst we probably all expect Dong Zhuo didn't look quite so much like a literal demon IRL, some of the gulfs between history and portrayal (like half of Shu :v:) are ridiculous. Next you're gonna tell us Zhang Jiao didn't have magic and Cao Pi was a humble and benevolent man.

So also, is there a rundown anywhere of the differences between Reforge and Temper? Are either worth doing? Also how can you get any significant number of 5-star weapons, I've been playing tons of highest difficulty maps because Level 150 Lu Bu but all I've ended up with is Guo Huai's ridiculous gun. e; Well poo poo, I checked the Koei wiki, I didn't realize they had specific unlock conditions rather than being random drops, thought that was only 6-star.

Finally, I really did go play some Romance after my last post, and Lu Bu's start is really really difficult in between Cao Cao and Yuan Shao. It seems some strategy is needed after all :saddowns:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 6, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Mister Adequate posted:

So also, is there a rundown anywhere of the differences between Reforge and Temper? Are either worth doing?

Reforge takes three weapons and turns them into two new weapons; it is useless. Temper takes one weapon and adds the qualities of second weapon to it, giving it new properties and improving the ones they have in common. It is worth doing. Once you have a weapon with the properties you want, it's easy to use Temper to max out their levels.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

I'll third that, please discuss basically every single person. Seeing the crazy exaggerated portrayals in DW is fun but whilst we probably all expect Dong Zhuo didn't look quite so much like a literal demon IRL
For laughs, here's Ravages of Time Dong Zhuo when "Diaochan" initially rejects him:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reforge is useful in Samurai 4 because you can control what weapon it turns into, and it doesn't cost anything (though any upgrades you put into that weapon are removed). It's the best thing for leveling up a new character.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Basically use fusion to put the elements you want on your weapon then temper all your poo poo weapons onto it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ahhh I see, that makes sense now. Thanks goons.

Also that comic is hilarious. Half-tempted to get a new avatar based on that Handsome Dong Zhuo panel.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

For laughs, here's Ravages of Time Dong Zhuo when "Diaochan" initially rejects him:

I didn't realize that Dong Zhuo is actually Solid Snake.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Alright, guys I'll do some more DW history talk given you're interested :) What would you guys rather me do, talk just about the historical comparisons or do you want me to also bring up the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel and other sources?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Jibo posted:

Same here. I think I actually have Twilight Princess around here somewhere. I'll have to try it out. I suppose if I can read the entirety of One Piece just to know what was happening going into OPPW, I can play the post OoT Zelda games.

Also, regarding cutscenes and whatnot, they need to make a balls crazy Dynasty Warriors with Souten Kouro cutscenes. I'm looking at you Capcom.

Personally, and others may disagree with me, but I feel like Twilight Princess is one of the best Zelda games made. I personally rank it well above OoT. It has a bittersweet sadness to it I find reminiscent of Majora's Mask, and the dungeons are quite good too. I love some of the designs and ideas they came up with for it.

Edit: With the noted exception of the opening tutorial area. gently caress that poo poo, stop making me do chores for the neighbors and let me adventure already!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Brony Hunter posted:

Alright, guys I'll do some more DW history talk given you're interested :) What would you guys rather me do, talk just about the historical comparisons or do you want me to also bring up the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel and other sources?

I'm mostly interested in the historical comparisons, though weird poo poo from the novel would be interesting if it relates to the overblown portrayal of the characters in the games.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Palleon posted:

I didn't realize that Dong Zhuo is actually Solid Snake.

I remember that Dong Zhuo IS actually meant to be a handsome man. DW made him an ugly bastard(And more ugly since), and it stuck. It's very...fitting for a man devoting himself to pleasure, but then you look at Liu Shan the Olympic Fencer.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

I'm mostly interested in the historical comparisons, though weird poo poo from the novel would be interesting if it relates to the overblown portrayal of the characters in the games.

Seconded.

Bloodly posted:

I remember that Dong Zhuo IS actually meant to be a handsome man. DW made him an ugly bastard(And more ugly since), and it stuck.

I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall the novel saying he was exceedingly fat.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Gimnbo posted:

Noted.

And Big Dong was said to be very strong and athletic in his youth. He was a front line general so was pretty renowned as an athletic and fierce warrior, skilled in archery, riding and martial arts. It's likely his later obesity came from the sheer greed and gluttony that overcame him when he took over the capital and started bossing everyone around.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Also that comic is hilarious. Half-tempted to get a new avatar based on that Handsome Dong Zhuo panel.
For more hilarity, here's Lu Bu in a later chapter:

(Context: An attempted murder plot by rival officers under Dong Zhuo against Lu Bu went sour when he lured them to the troops that they were supposed to be commanding, who believe that the officers were plotting against Lu Bu as a way to usurp Dong Zhuo, so the troops decide to take Lu Bu's side and this is him driving up his PR further.)

Brony Hunter posted:

I see no reason to "artificially" leave out the novel and other sources, considering how many sources went into the novel, both in the initial Luo Guanzhong iteration and the modern/iconic edited version by Mao Lun and his son Zonggang, whose influence and importance on the lore can be seen at Zonggang's Wikipedia article ("so successful that it drove earlier versions from the market and for nearly three centuries was the only one which most Chinese readers knew", as well as being responsible for a bunch of the Shu bias).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
What's the most accessible version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the novel)? I seem to recall reading an abridged version a long while ago, and it was a bit of a slog. Lots of begats, to use a bible analogy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Got 8 for my ps4, its decently fun but I must have missed something since the items system seems a bit weird to me. I have not played a DW game since 4, I know the best weapons are still found on levels by doing X things, but how does it work for the rest of the stuff. There is a vendor that sells some, but then they also level up or something, and i find them on levels. The difficulty also seems inconsistent, with normal being too easy but then I got my rear end kicked and could barely hurt dudes on the next notch up.

Is there a quick an easy summary oh how I should pick a dudes weapons or whatever?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

What's the most accessible version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the novel)? I seem to recall reading an abridged version a long while ago, and it was a bit of a slog. Lots of begats, to use a bible analogy.

I suggest the Moss Roberts translation: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Chinese-Classics-Volumes/dp/7119005901

The novel stars out kinda rough, as the political situation pre-yellow turbans can be kind of a chore to get through. However, soon you'll be seeing familiar faces and familiar events. Having played the games is actually kind of boon, as you'll be able to at least keep track of the important people.

Also, a lot of really REALLY interesting historical anecdotes and comparisons can be found in the footnotes of the Moss Roberts translation. I HIGHLY recommend reading them along with the book.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Got 8 for my ps4, its decently fun but I must have missed something since the items system seems a bit weird to me. I have not played a DW game since 4, I know the best weapons are still found on levels by doing X things, but how does it work for the rest of the stuff. There is a vendor that sells some, but then they also level up or something, and i find them on levels. The difficulty also seems inconsistent, with normal being too easy but then I got my rear end kicked and could barely hurt dudes on the next notch up.

Normal is a good difficuly for playing through Story Mode for the first time. If it seems easy, well, it's Dynasty Warriors. It's not a difficult game, especially in earlier levels. Weapons are acquired from the blacksmith and enemy officers; their levels tend to be based on the stage in which you obtain them. The weapons themselves can be improved by adding special abilities, but that's only in Ambition Mode (which you can safely put off until later). Weapons do not improve on their own (unlike in DW4, where a character's weapon leveled as you used him).

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Is there a quick an easy summary oh how I should pick a dudes weapons or whatever?

Different people like to assign weapons differently. Personally, I like to use one of a character's EX weapon and one of a different kind with which the character has maximum compatibility, both of different elements.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Maleketh posted:

Normal is a good difficuly for playing through Story Mode for the first time. If it seems easy, well, it's Dynasty Warriors. It's not a difficult game, especially in earlier levels. Weapons are acquired from the blacksmith and enemy officers; their levels tend to be based on the stage in which you obtain them. The weapons themselves can be improved by adding special abilities, but that's only in Ambition Mode (which you can safely put off until later). Weapons do not improve on their own (unlike in DW4, where a character's weapon leveled as you used him).

Different people like to assign weapons differently. Personally, I like to use one of a character's EX weapon and one of a different kind with which the character has maximum compatibility, both of different elements.

Thanks, I'm not overly concerned, was wondering if the difficulty jump was me not doing poo poo right, sounds like I'm doing ok.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ambition Mode is where all the fun stuff for getting items and weapons is, since you fight tons of officers in generic encounters and can use your trash weapons to improve your other ones. Theoretically you can make any weapon as powerful as another through fusion (and wasting tons of gems) but generally more stars is better, then play with the Blacksmith to really break things.

MeBenefits
Aug 6, 2014
Has anyone attempted a Dynasty Warriors Lets Play yet, or are you guys saving that till Hyrule Warriors comes out, so you can show all those filthy casuals how REAL button mashing is done?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Dynasty Warriors Let's play would be the most boring thing on the planet.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maleketh posted:

I like to mostly follow this pattern as well. Everyone gets their EX weapon, then I pick a second max compatibility weapon that I find aesthetically pleasing for that character (usually something to feels natural for their model, but sometimes its just something I find hilarious).

It's kind of time consuming, especially if you're crazy and load up everyone's weapons with rank 10 abilities, but I found I enjoyed the game more when I didn't have to keep going "I don't want to play with X, he doesn't have any decent weapons".

Endorph posted:

A Dynasty Warriors Let's play would be the most boring thing on the planet.

I think a RoTK LP could work, if you have someone who can write a decent narrative around the characters and what's happening in game. There's also a fair amount of mechanics/strategies you could explain, depending on the version you were playing.

DW though would be pretty hard to do. As much as I like playing it, I am not sure it would be very fun to watch.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I have a fully complete or nearly fully complete DW2 Shu Zhao Yun playthrough with commentary sitting on my hard drive. I originally wanted to do something like the Run Button guys did with Mario/Sonic where I do a basic play through of each game, pointing out what changed with each game, and throwing in my history stuff.

Then I realized how much work that was gonna be and found other ways to waste my time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dynasty Warriors would be fun to LP if you have a newcomer that needs explaining why the Yellow Turban has a magician as a leader or why one guy has a rocket lance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Dynasty Warriors would be fun to LP if you have a newcomer that needs explaining why the Yellow Turban has a magician as a leader or why one guy has a rocket lance.
"Because they're taking historical figures and warping and exaggerating them for dramatic/narrative/comedic effect."
"Oh."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

"Because they're taking historical figures and warping and exaggerating them for dramatic/narrative/comedic effect."
"Oh."

You're the reason why DW LP's don't exist

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
In regards to DW lps, an Empires LP with good narrative focus seems like the best way to do it - get the audience involved in the decision /policy making (if possible), take losses/deaths as they come, invest them in the kingdom and maybe have a side snippet which explains the truth. Include a link to the battles in each post, trying to switch up character use and show off as many different tricks/combos as possible. Preferably with a funny co-commentator.

It's doable, and if done right it could probably be one of the best on the forum, but it'd require a ton of work to do right.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
People lose/die in Empires? That game is absurdly easy.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

PureRok posted:

People lose/die in Empires? That game is absurdly easy.

It is, but there's at least one combination of empires/settings which provides some form of risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

DW8 DLC just popped up on the steam store.

"The first round of DLC has been released on the Steam store. Weapons, camp themes, music, in-game wallpaper and various costumes to choose from. More to come later this month.

Just released DLC:
SPECIAL COSTUME PACK 1 & SPECIAL WEAPON
SPECIAL COSTUME PACK 2
OLD COSTUME PACK 1
OLD COSTUME PACK 2
OLD COSTUME PACK 3
OLD COSTUME PACK 4
POWERFUL WEAPON PACK
UNIQUE WEAPON PACK
BASE THEME PACK
BGM PACK
WALLPAPER PACK"

No JP voices yet, but hey, it's a start.