Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I'm blanking on an animal that isn't a herd/pack animal that we've truly domesticated. I also can't think of a domesticated animal that hasn't been heavily altered through selective breeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mauser posted:

I'm blanking on an animal that isn't a herd/pack animal that we've truly domesticated.

House cats?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There was no domestication process for cats when we started living in cities they just showed up to eat rats and some people started feeding them.

E: I mean thats the theory I read I dunno if its scientific consensus

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

House cats?

Are house cats really domesticated though? It seems more like a symbiotic relationship- we give them food, they kill pests and we enjoy their company (:toxogond:). Cats can live independently of humans as well, most breeds of dog not so much.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Cats can go back and forth between feral and "domesticated" based on their current life situation.

And yeah, dogs are a thing we did to wolves, but cats are with us because the way we live is amenable to them. We attract rodents and other vermin, and cats find rodents and other vermin delicious. I mean, that's half the appeal of cats right there- we're very convenient, but we're not necessary, and that they know it is written in every little feline quirk.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Phoon posted:

There was no domestication process for cats when we started living in cities they just showed up to eat rats and some people started feeding them.

E: I mean thats the theory I read I dunno if its scientific consensus

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/science/28cnd-cat.html?_r=0

I don't know if it's scientific consensus, but there are cat experts that agree with you. Cats showed up, ate rats, humans went 'hey that's handy' and so the relationship between our species began.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Mauser posted:

I'm blanking on an animal that isn't a herd/pack animal that we've truly domesticated. I also can't think of a domesticated animal that hasn't been heavily altered through selective breeding.

Are ferrets domesticated?

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

McDowell posted:

This is actually a point Jared Diamond makes in 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' - all the species that are amenable to domestication (without genetic engineering) already have been. Many species can be partially domesticated (elephants, racoons, sheep) but this doesn't become a hereditary trait. Canines are present in every human society and their domestication might be a symbiosis that predates homo-sapiens, much like the use of fire.

That wasn't what Diamond said. His claim was that all animals whose domestication was both practical and beneficial to pre-modern people have already been domesticated.

For example, elephants weren't domesticated because although trained adults are extremely useful, it takes them like 15 years to grow up, so if you want to raise one you'll go broke feeding a giant baby for over a decade before it becomes a functional work animal. It's much easier to just capture a young adult in the wild and train it, which is what people have historically done. If you really wanted to domesticate elephants and had vast resources and time, you could selectively breed them just like horses and cows, but nobody's ever done this.

quote:

(elephants, raccoons, sheep)

As a man married to a former sheep farmer, I can tell you sheep are 100% domesticated. They're actually the oldest domestic animal aside from dogs.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Magres posted:

I don't know if it's scientific consensus, but there are cat experts that agree with you. Cats showed up, ate rats, humans went 'hey that's handy' and so the relationship between our species began.

Probably helps that cats are cute.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Corrupt Politician posted:

That wasn't what Diamond said. His claim was that all animals whose domestication was both practical and beneficial to pre-modern people have already been domesticated.

For example, elephants weren't domesticated because although trained adults are extremely useful, it takes them like 15 years to grow up, so if you want to raise one you'll go broke feeding a giant baby for over a decade before it becomes a functional work animal. It's much easier to just capture a young adult in the wild and train it, which is what people have historically done. If you really wanted to domesticate elephants and had vast resources and time, you could selectively breed them just like horses and cows, but nobody's ever done this.

As a man married to a former sheep farmer, I can tell you sheep are 100% domesticated. They're actually the oldest domestic animal aside from dogs.

Thanks for the details, it's been years since I read it. Maybe I'm thinking of goats, not sheep.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I wonder if someone wealthy somewhere hadn't tried getting someone to domesticate an elephant, like an emperor or something, just for a status symbol

also, hello friends, I'm back from jury duty, i got a bunch of reading done and the trial itself was actually mildly interesting despite being a traffic thing (we found him not guilty :v:). It's very annoying how CNN plays the same five stories over and over again though

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I always see this chive thing on expensive cars and fit white people. I don't know what it is but it's impossible that I would approve of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Red pandas should be domesticated asap.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
someone domesticate me a tibetan sand fox, tia

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

paranoid randroid posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves we haven't even domesticated human males am I right sisters?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

paranoid randroid posted:

I can't decide if these foxes look more skeptical, furtive or blazed

"did u rly"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'd take this to the I/P thread, but it might be too much of a derail:

In that thread, people were mentioning how they were capitalizing HAMAS because it's an acronym, but I never see anyone capitalize Fatah, even though that's an acronym, too, albeit backwards: arakat at-taḥrīr al-waṭanī al-Filasṭīnī. And it's not common to capitalize other words derived from Semitic acronyms, such as Hadash or Meretz. It always looks jarring to me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Humans domesticate themselves. One of the features of this process is the retention of juvenile traits (neoteny). If Freud was writing 'Civilization and its Discontents' today he would note how much US political discourse sounds like a petulant teenager, a mass stunted emotional development that serves to keep society stable/static ('You're not my dad/God! You can't tell me what to do!')

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

McDowell posted:

Humans domesticate themselves. One of the features of this process is the retention of juvenile traits (neoteny). If Freud was writing 'Civilization and its Discontents' today he would note how much US political discourse sounds like a petulant teenager, a mass stunted emotional development that serves to keep society stable/static ('You're not my dad/God! You can't tell me what to do!')

"Don't you ever second-guess me again! It's all Hamas's fault!" :qq:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

"did u rly"

What's weird is that they look like Dichen Lachmann, who is also tibetan, and must therefore be a Tibetan sand werefox.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Thanks for the details, it's been years since I read it. Maybe I'm thinking of goats, not sheep.

Its a poo poo argument. Demonstrate "practical" and "beneficial." We don't know whether most domestic animals will be beneficial to humans until after they've undergone domestication. Some behaviors of some animals self-select for this, such as wolves and dogs, while others can be accomplished by selectively breeding increased estrogen/cortisol hormone production into animals.

I would have no problem with extinguishing mosquetos or Tsetse flies.

E1:

McDowell posted:

Humans domesticate themselves.

Funny enough, the first permanent settlements of humans [homo sapians sapians] coincides with the emergence of domesticated traits in humans (decreased male testosterone, increased estrogen and cortisol production). First permanent structures I've found in literature dates to 70,000~BCE along the Upper Nile.

began to emerge during the period when

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 7, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can 100% guarantee the domestication of raccoons and bears will be beneficial for mankind.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I would have no problem with extinguishing mosquetos or Tsetse flies.

That would deprive a lot of insect-eating species of a source of food, though. :(

zoux posted:

I can 100% guarantee the domestication of raccoons and bears will be beneficial for mankind.

oh yeah

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think the last thing we want to do is make raccoons smarter and let them live in our homes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Demonstrate "practical" and "beneficial."

You already gave the example of self-selection for canines. Most other domesticated animals are docile herbivores (sheep, cows, llamas). Pigs are omnivorous but their domestication comes from eating our waste food. Horses are the only domesticated animal that comes to mind that would first be 'broken', but their practical benefits are obvious (Diamond also talks about how linguistic clues suggest the people in the Caucasus were the first to domesticate the horse and proceeded to dominate Europe before recorded history)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hedera Helix posted:

That would deprive a lot of insect-eating species of a source of food, though. :(

And in exchange, eliminating the primary transmission vector for Malaria, Dengue Fever, and several other tropical diseases which are often fatal to humans. Sorry spiders, I'm sure some other insect will rise to dominance.

E:

McDowell posted:

You already gave the example of self-selection for canines. Most other domesticated animals are docile herbivores (sheep, cows, llamas). Pigs are omnivorous but their domestication comes from eating our waste food. Horses are the only domesticated animal that comes to mind that would first be 'broken', but their practical benefits are obvious (Diamond also talks about how linguistic clues suggest the people in the Caucasus were the first to domesticate the horse and proceeded to dominate Europe before recorded history)

With animals like dogs, I'm gonna suggest humans were as much a historical breeding pressure as we are today. Once we had rudimentary tools 70,000 BCE, all bets are off for aggresive small animals aggresive towards us. Also, I prefer to follow genetic evidence rather than linguistic clues.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 7, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Was renaming Rhodesia Zimbabwe kind of like if the Turks called their post-Ottoman state Hattusa? Or not at all.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Once we had rudimentary tools 70,000 BCE, all bets are off for aggresive small animals aggresive towards us. Also, I prefer to follow genetic evidence rather than linguistic clues.

Other apes have rudimentary tools, and our genus harnessed fire, not just our species - so there are alot of different factors in play. As I said, I think domestication of dogs started as a symbiotic relationship - wolf packs who followed hominids (or vice versa, since canines have much better sense of smell)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Other apes have rudimentary tools, and our genus harnessed fire, not just our species - so there are alot of different factors in play. As I said, I think domestication of dogs started as a symbiotic relationship - wolf packs who followed hominids (or vice versa, since canines have much better sense of smell)

Yet only our species hosed our genus extinct. And again, where you say follow, I say hunt. Following comes after enough failed hunting that the most aggressive hunters are dead.

E: I should clarify. Where you say wolves followed humans, I say wolves hunted humans before they followed humans. And by that point, they're dog. Megafauna, such as what? Elephants?

Again, its an absolute poo poo argument. For most of human history, "practical" and "beneficial" can be ascribed to getting anything to quit hunting humans, or eating things that are tasty to humans. Humanity has done a shitload of impractical things in its time.

E2:

McDowell posted:

Also we didn't just interbreed the rest of our genus to extinction, it was more like the colonization of the Americas- a mixture of murder and marriage.

Ask a Korean, I don't eat dog. It almost sounds as if...we domesticated our genus. And it doesn't fit the context to call it marriage. Marriage is the result of legal custom.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 7, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yet only our species hosed our genus extinct. And again, where you say follow, I say hunt. Following comes after enough failed hunting that the most aggressive hunters are dead.

Why eat dogs when you can eat megafauna? The dogs can help bring one down while doubling as a reserve source of food. Also we didn't just interbreed the rest of our genus to extinction, it was more like the colonization of the Americas- a mixture of murder and marriage.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

Red pandas should be domesticated asap.

Conversely giant pandas should be exterminated asap.

I'm sorry pandas but eating bamboo was a niche that did not need to be filled.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We are actually driving all the other great apes into extinction.

Edit Responses:

My Imaginary GF posted:

E: I should clarify. Where you say wolves followed humans, I say wolves hunted humans before they followed humans. And by that point, they're dog. Megafauna, such as what? Elephants?

E2:
Ask a Korean, I don't eat dog. It almost sounds as if...we domesticated our genus. And it doesn't fit the context to call it marriage. Marriage is the result of legal custom.

1) Mammoths come to mind, as well as giant elk, sloths, eagles and a bunch of other mammals that disappeared after the ice age (around the same time our species was definitely on every continent)

2) You might not eat dog because there are other meat/protein options and your culture has more empathy for the neoteny traits of dogs. But if you were a survivalist after SHTF you might change your mind about Fido. 'Marriage' was being euphemistic - 'mating' works too and preserves my mnemonic!

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 7, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess they're not that great after all :smug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Why has nobody thought of "GenoCider" - "Not Hard! Stomach-Cleansingly Brutal!!"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

"did u rly"

I need this animal silently judging me in my house.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Magres posted:

But as that article says, house cats are domesticated - possibly by their own doing, but the point still stands. You can have a cat that's not domesticated but has a symbiotic relationship with you (ie: you feed it, it kills mice), but there's a difference between that and a house cat. The former example is a farm/barn cat - it's often semi- or fully feral, so it's not going to cozy up to you like a pet.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I need this animal silently judging me in my house.

It's the face I imagine a spirit animal would make if they walked in on you masturbating.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If you really wanted to domesticate elephants and had vast resources and time, you could selectively breed them just like horses and cows, but nobody's ever done this.

Somewhere, Newt Gingrich just got an erection and doesn't know why.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Conversely giant pandas should be exterminated asap.

I'm sorry pandas but eating bamboo was a niche that did not need to be filled.

They're p useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Giant pandas are great zoo animals because they can't be meaningfully said to suffer in captivity, unlike most other, smarter, animals.

• Locked thread