Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

AJ_Impy posted:

gently caress France.

I think this is something we can all get behind, no matter what our voting tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obviously the solution to the "religion is the plaything of Emperors" is to grant them more authority, as that's exactly what that mechanic entails as opposed to being aggressively meddlesome in religious affairs!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
gently caress it. ## Vote B

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too long have we been chained by that tyrant in gold, the Ecumenical Patriarch!
We must free our empire and our righteous Empress from that cancer that rots us from within, the old and reactionary Church of despots and liars! Priests exist only to lead the Faithful astray, making them pray to dead emperors and generals, saying they represent God!

We must return the faith to its purest form, a faith of and by the Faithful! No patriarchs, only men before God!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Grizzwold posted:

I think this is something we can all get behind, no matter what our voting tendencies.

The problem here is all our provinces are Orthodox. If we switch, then France is going to get a lot bigger at our expense.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AJ_Impy posted:

The problem here is all our provinces are Orthodox. If we switch, then France is going to get a lot bigger at our expense.

That +10% Missionary strength has to count for something.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GoatLord posted:

Does it count for more manpower? Because giving up our biggest asset in that regard is an interesting idea, or at least a trés intérressant one.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

GSD posted:

Too long have we been chained by that tyrant in gold, the Ecumenical Patriarch!
We must free our empire and our righteous Empress from that cancer that rots us from within, the old and reactionary Church of despots and liars! Priests exist only to lead the Faithful astray, making them pray to dead emperors and generals, saying they represent God!

We must return the faith to its purest form, a faith of and by the Faithful! No patriarchs, only men before God!

No, No! The Orthodox Church is the heir to the Apostles, the Church that is most ancient and true! How can we abandon her? The heirs of St. Andrew and Constantine! Do you really believe that this heresy trumps unbroken tradition that stretches back to Christ himself? And if you do, will it be worth it? Worth oppressing the majority of our citizens, worth tearing apart and delegitimizing their faith in God, and in the state itself?

It isn't worth it. We are the Roman Senate, subject to the authority of the Emperor and God only. We will not, can not, bow to the heretical demands of madmen and traitors!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GoatLord posted:

It will account for Jack and poo poo when Kiev, France, the Papal States and the entire Middle East and Europe decide OH HEY FREE HEATHEN COUNTRY from Sicily to Georgia since we spend the rest of the game burning heretics in our country (which wouldn't BE an empire anymore since we now hate heirarchy from Church and State)

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It will account for Jack and poo poo when Kiev, France, the Papal States and the entire Middle East and Europe decide OH HEY FREE HEATHEN COUNTRY from Sicily to Georgia since we spend the rest of the game burning heretics in our country (which wouldn't BE an empire anymore since we now hate heirarchy from Church and State)

Exactly! That looks to be happening if we go Bolgomist AND if we stay Orthodox in the face of the French Wave. However, If we go Sunni as we should have centuries ago, suddenly we are coreligionists with all the entire Middle East and the surviving Frontier successor states.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talky posted:

Exactly! That looks to be happening if we go Bolgomist AND if we stay Orthodox in the face of the French Wave. However, If we go Sunni as we should have centuries ago, suddenly we are coreligionists with all the entire Middle East and the surviving Frontier successor states.

To think, there could be a Roman-Da Qin Union. An Empire of Two Romes! :v:

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
##Vote B, it seems like the best choice.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 7, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Can anyone vote? If they can, I'm ##voting B

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

tatankatonk posted:

Can anyone vote? If they can, I'm ##voting B

Yeah, anyone can vote in the big general votes. You're just assumed to be an unaligned senator. Party membership is only important for the writing and submission of bills, when we're doing that.

Edit: and for deciding what parties are in power.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, anyone can vote! You don't need to have joined a party or participated in Senate sessions or whenever. I can't really blame people for just skimming over Senate sessions at this point. :v:

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
##voting B

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

The French have substituted a King for a Patriarch and they claim this is revolutionary. As if the body of the church had been free of the corruption of politics prior! What the French have is nothing new, it hardly deserves to be considered different from the old Orthodox faith. The French cling to the traditions of the ages as much as the foolish Senators who backed Komitas Branas did. For how many decades has this senate, this body sought to "restore" the past? Recreate Rome, restore the Pentarchy, mend the schism, rebuild the legion, restore the throne to the Komnenos dynasty. All these grand plans to relive a golden age we only half remember, enough silver and blood to fill the Hagia Sophia ten times over and what of any lasting worth do we have to show for it? Western Europe in the hands of a king turned high priest, most of the holy places of Christendom in the hands of Muslims, the city of Rome in the hands of a high priest turned king and an army held together by a string.

I opposed the vote to Sinicize because I believed that Rome could find the path to greatness without abandoning the traditions that made it great. I still believe that, but I also believe in something greater than the traditions of Rome. I believe in the Georgians. I believe in the Turks. I believe in the Sicilians and the Italians, the Greeks and Pechenegs, the Bulgarians and the Serbs. I believe in the ROMANS, a people not wholly defined by the disparate traditions of their cultures but by the principles they share. Equal justice regardless of faith or race, a yearning for knowledge, a grand leader who does not dole out positions and privileges to friends and supporters but instead invests these powers in men and women of proven quality. This is what makes our Rome great, not some old interpretation of God's word. I beg of you, trust in the Roman people and let them make their own interpretations.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
##vote A

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

+10% missionary strength is a lot of extra missionary strength, and any nation that converts during the Reformation to one of the new heresies will get a lot of spontaneous conversion. It is not as though we'll be burning heretics for more than a couple of decades, most likely.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clayren posted:

The French have substituted a King for a Patriarch and they claim this is revolutionary. As if the body of the church had been free of the corruption of politics prior! What the French have is nothing new, it hardly deserves to be considered different from the old Orthodox faith. The French cling to the traditions of the ages as much as the foolish Senators who backed Komitas Branas did. For how many decades has this senate, this body sought to "restore" the past? Recreate Rome, restore the Pentarchy, mend the schism, rebuild the legion, restore the throne to the Komnenos dynasty. All these grand plans to relive a golden age we only half remember, enough silver and blood to fill the Hagia Sophia ten times over and what of any lasting worth do we have to show for it? Western Europe in the hands of a king turned high priest, most of the holy places of Christendom in the hands of Muslims, the city of Rome in the hands of a high priest turned king and an army held together by a string.

I opposed the vote to Sinicize because I believed that Rome could find the path to greatness without abandoning the traditions that made it great. I still believe that, but I also believe in something greater than the traditions of Rome. I believe in the Georgians. I believe in the Turks. I believe in the Sicilians and the Italians, the Greeks and Pechenegs, the Bulgarians and the Serbs. I believe in the ROMANS, a people not wholly defined by the disparate traditions of their cultures but by the principles they share. Equal justice regardless of faith or race, a yearning for knowledge, a grand leader who does not dole out positions and privileges to friends and supporters but instead invests these powers in men and women of proven quality. This is what makes our Rome great, not some old interpretation of God's word. I beg of you, trust in the Roman people and let them make their own interpretations.

I trust the Roman people: Orthodoxy remains the majority faith in the Empire. You have chosen to support a faction of mad radicals who dare to dictate to us! Who dare to defy Christ's bride and heir! Rome has its Church, and needs it! Who inspired our soldiers to fight, brought in the numbers necessary? The Orthodox Church. Who has been Rome's friend since its foundation, who has guided us thtough these mad centuries? The Orthodox Church.

You opposed Sinicization. How can you support these ragged heretics? The Orthodox Church is Rome's Church, the Church of Constantine, of Justinian, of Basil the Bulgar-Slayer, of Alexios Komnenos, of St. Valeria, of all the Apostles, of Jesus Christ! We have found our way. The path is long since cleared. We cannot throw millions into hellfire for the sake of a few radicals!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Orthodox Church is Rome's Church, the Church of Constantine, of Justinian, of Basil the Bulgar-Slayer, of Alexios Komnenos, of St. Valeria, of all the Apostles, of Jesus Christ!

Ah yes, I too recall that part of the Holy Book where Jesus personally declared the Patriarch in Byzantium to be the head of his religion! Some senators might be forgiven for their lack of understanding of the Holy Bible, reading is such a chore after all and why waste an good evening that might be spent drinking and snoozing in the sun with matters of faith? Do not worry though, I doubt your beloved patriarch is much more knowledgeable of the matters of the spirit himself, who has the time to talk to God when there are peasants to be taxed?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, I'm going to have to toss in for ##vote C. With our tolerance, it should go more smoothly than sticking with Orthodoxy or adopting Bogomilism, right?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clayren posted:

Ah yes, I too recall that part of the Holy Book where Jesus personally declared the Patriarch in Byzantium to be the head of his religion. Some senators might be forgiven for their lack of understanding of the Holy Bible, reading is such a chore after all and why waste an good evening that might be spent drinking and snoozing in the sun with matters of faith? Do not worry though, I doubt your beloved patriarch is much more knowledgeable of the matters of the spirit himself, who has the time to talk to God when there are peasants to be taxed?

Oh? Did you miss the part where he told his disciples to go and make fellow disciples of all the nations? Goes against that whole "toleration" argument. Did you miss Acts, and the Epistles, that saw the establishment of the Church? The one that has by and large become the Orthodox Church? Of course you did. You would rather bastardize our faith, see it distorted by eastern heathenry, see it turned into the foulest mockery!

You would see our state oppress the majority of its citizens, burn the loyal at the stake! You would rape the Bride of God for, what, exactly? To suck eastern cock? To appease a few bands of radicals?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hahaha OK, even though this fucks over "my faction," it is too cool an option to pass up, ##Vote B

Otherwise, pleased to see that right on the tails of the success of popular power against absolute monarchy, freethinkers start talking about republicanism. Noble Republics aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but it's a step in the right direction: the direction that leads to SPQR being more than just a slogan.

Vivant Republica Secundas!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 7, 2014

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Oh? Did you miss the part where he told his disciples to go and make fellow disciples of all the nations? Goes against that whole "toleration" argument. Did you miss Acts, and the Epistles, that saw the establishment of the Church? The one that has by and large become the Orthodox Church? Of course you did. You would rather bastardize our faith, see it distorted by eastern heathenry, see it turned into the foulest mockery!

You would see our state oppress the majority of its citizens, burn the loyal at the stake! You would rape the Bride of God for, what, exactly? To suck eastern cock? To appease a few bands of radicals?

(There's that Unitas spirit! Good show!)

Whatever benefits may, with great stress on may, come from converting to a new faith, I feel in these times of uncertainty we must not rock the boat. I vote ##A

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Hahaha OK, even though this fucks over "my faction," it is too cool an option to pass up, ##Vote B

Otherwise, pleased to see that right on the tails of the success of popular power against absolute monarchy, freethinkers start talking about republicanism. Noble Republics aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but it's a step in the right direction: the direction that leads to SPQR being more than just a slogan.

Vivant Republica Secundas!

You are voting for a religion that actively seeks to destroy all minority faiths, as opposed to one that merely purged heretic beliefs over heathen ones.

So Republican.

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011
##Vote A

Even in these troubled times, Orthodoxy remains the core of the empire. We ought no abandon the single most common characteristic of our people. We should instead address spiritual problems without turning our back on Christ.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

You are voting for a religion that actively seeks to destroy all minority faiths, as opposed to one that merely purged heretic beliefs over heathen ones.

So Republican.

Yes I am a "Republican" that is on my character sheet next to "Class: ", but maybe I need to level up a bit.

On the other hand, religious tolerance and radical republicanism do not always go hand in hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristianisation_of_France_during_the_French_Revolution

Also p. sure you're not understanding the description of this religion?

quote:

Anyway, thanks to this diversity of practices, Bogomilism was a syncretic blend of numerous Christian heresies and minority practices pushed into the margins by an increasingly authoritarian Orthodox church and religious thought from non-Christian faiths.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, anyone can vote! You don't need to have joined a party or participated in Senate sessions or whenever. I can't really blame people for just skimming over Senate sessions at this point. :v:

I don't really have the time or inclination to participate with the thread rp stuff, but I just wanted to say I've enjoyed the updates so far.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

##VOTE C Christendom has gone nuts; let's just bail on that whole thing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

If we convert, vast swathes of our empire will now be of a heresy to us. Our stability is shot as it already is, we cannot invest into such a costly restructuring of our religious authority at this time.

##Vote A

/

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Yes I am a "Republican" that is on my character sheet next to "Class: ", but maybe I need to level up a bit.

On the other hand, religious tolerance and radical republicanism do not always go hand in hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristianisation_of_France_during_the_French_Revolution

Also p. sure you're not understanding the description of this religion?

So the next post after "Vivant Republica Secundas!" you try to deny it?

I mean yeah Orthodox isn't heretic friendly by any means, but the main difference between Bogolism and Orthodox is that Orthodox doesn't recognize the primacy of the Roman Archbishop and B. doesn't recognize anything from a church heirarchy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

So the next post after "Vivant Republica Secundas!" you try to deny it?

I mean yeah Orthodox isn't heretic friendly by any means, but the main difference between Bogolism and Orthodox is that Orthodox doesn't recognize the primacy of the Roman Archbishop and B. doesn't recognize anything from a church heirarchy.

Let me clear this up: I'm not "a Republican" as if that were some aspect of a character I'm roleplaying. I'm a reader interested in seeing a Second Roman Republic form along good Enlightenment lines because I think it'd be cool. "Because I think it'd be cool" is also my reason for ##joining Discordians. It's the motive behind every decision I make in participating in the thread. Pretty sure that's the case for most participants actually, but they also think it's fun to dress it up in historical roleplaying, and hey, whatever makes you happy. Ending a post with a Google-translated Latin phrase in lighthearted enthusiasm is as close as I come to that, though.

So, I don't know why you're telling me about the differences between Orthodoxy and Bogomilism, I am not making this decision as a fictional ideologue in this alternate history narrative. Again, I am making this decision as an audience member who thinks this would be an interesting outcome. I even acknowledged that this would mechanically disadvantage "my party," and thus potentially set back the timetable of republican revolution in Rome!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

GunnerJ posted:

Let me clear this up: I'm not "a Republican" as if that were some aspect of a character I'm roleplaying. I'm a reader interested in seeing a Second Roman Republic form along good Enlightenment lines because I think it'd be cool. "Because I think it'd be cool" is also my reason for ##joining Discordians. It's the motive behind every decision I make in participating in the thread. Pretty sure that's the case for most participants actually, but they also think it's fun to dress it up in historical roleplaying, and hey, whatever makes you happy. Ending a post with a Google-translated Latin phrase in lighthearted enthusiasm is as close as I come to that, though.

So, I don't know why you're telling me about the differences between Orthodoxy and Bogomilism, I am not making this decision as a fictional ideologue in this alternate history narrative. Again, I am making this decision as an audience member who thinks this would be an interesting outcome. I even acknowledged that this would mechanically disadvantage "my party," and thus potentially set back the timetable of republican revolution in Rome!

How can it form along Enlightenment lines when we haven't had the Enlightenment yet? This really seems like something more suited to the end-game, or perhaps V2.

I mean, people are free to advocate whatever they want (obviously), it just seems kind of weird to push for liberal democracy in the mid 1500s.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Alright dude relax. Forgive me for trying to debate statements you made in a paradox LP thread. I promise not to ever again disparage your precious not really statement statements.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I would like to address those advocating for our conversion to Islam: why rock the boat? It is clear that you cannot win this vote. Sad, but true, for you. So, why not do what is best for your electorate, for your Muslim brothers? Think about it: what are these Bogomilists? What do they want, how will they get it? What does this have to do with Muslims?

Bogomilists are an insane fringe movement, seeking to dismantle the Orthodox Church and forcibly convert all its adherents. Their rule would begin one of the most horrifying persecutions seen since Nero himself. And if they get free reign with all the Orthodox, do you think they will really stop? That they will honor the "corrupt" arrangements of the old Church? I think not. I think once they finish butchering us, they will come for you. And who will be there to protect you?

Another thing we must all consider is this: Bogomilists are not Christians. Their so-called faith is dualistic, revering two Powers. This makes them pagans. Muslims, will you be ruled by pagans? By people who are not even of the Book? Christians, will you allow these archaic Persian throwbacks to assume power? Will you dig up the corpse of Xerxes and proclaim him Emperor, watch as every city in the empire burns in his name?

Please, we must do what is best for our people. These radicals are just that, and they can be stopped, overcame! And our Empire will emerge from this time of crisis whole, faithful, and beautiful.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I would like to address those advocating for our conversion to Islam: why rock the boat? It is clear that you cannot win this vote. Sad, but true, for you. So, why not do what is best for your electorate, for your Muslim brothers? Think about it: what are these Bogomilists? What do they want, how will they get it? What does this have to do with Muslims?

Bogomilists are an insane fringe movement, seeking to dismantle the Orthodox Church and forcibly convert all its adherents. Their rule would begin one of the most horrifying persecutions seen since Nero himself. And if they get free reign with all the Orthodox, do you think they will really stop? That they will honor the "corrupt" arrangements of the old Church? I think not. I think once they finish butchering us, they will come for you. And who will be there to protect you?

Another thing we must all consider is this: Bogomilists are not Christians. Their so-called faith is dualistic, revering two Powers. This makes them pagans. Muslims, will you be ruled by pagans? By people who are not even of the Book? Christians, will you allow these archaic Persian throwbacks to assume power? Will you dig up the corpse of Xerxes and proclaim him Emperor, watch as every city in the empire burns in his name?

Please, we must do what is best for our people. These radicals are just that, and they can be stopped, overcame! And our Empire will emerge from this time of crisis whole, faithful, and beautiful.

Well said, my colleague, well said. Bogomilism, while it may sound appealing at a glance to the uninformed, is nothing but a ticket to death, to purges on a grand scale.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The vote is still young, and I have faith that our voters will choose the righteous path. If, the worst comes to worst, and the vote, through hook or crook, goes against the true faith, we shall deal with it then. I don't know how we will deal with it, but I will do everything in my power to represent the Muslim population of this empire.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs
The time has come to join the winning side. ##Vote C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

From my cursory research (Located here), one of the key tenets of Bogomilism is resistance to not only the church authorities, but those of the secular state. That's us, in case it wasn't obvious. Do we really want to entrench a heresy that preaches resistance to authority? How would we even make that work as a state religion?

• Locked thread