Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Benny D posted:

I don't know anything about this genre outside of the general idea but rogue legacy is on sort of sale for PS3 should I get it gamers

rogue legacy isnt much of a roguelike by the majority of standards but i liked it for a little while, if its some low single digit number sale go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not a roguelike but it's a solid platformer with good controls, worth a buy

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

it's okay. probably worth whatever it is on sale

its funny you say that because it's on sale for a turd covered in jism

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
procedural death labyrinth. Let's just call them that.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Benny D posted:

I don't know anything about this genre outside of the general idea but rogue legacy is on sort of sale for PS3 should I get it gamers

It's poo poo from my rear end.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

buy it if it's cheap, I liked it but couldn't bring myself to actually finish it

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Don't pay a single cent for it, or spend any of your valuable time playing it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

This (my time is worthless and I learned of the game's existence from someone sending me a DL link)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

yeah I did pay for it and it was not really worth bothering with, I would go with this

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

dem bones dem bones gonna walk around
roguelike's

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

IronicDongz posted:

It's not a roguelike but it's a solid platformer with good controls, worth a buy
It is fun when you can fly around most obstacles.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Jeffrey posted:

crawl is

Crawl devs wont be happy until every Tolqueen conspiracy race is gone and replaced by Highly Original design philosophy races like octopod and whatever the gently caress

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

maev posted:

Crawl devs wont be happy until every Tolqueen conspiracy race is gone and replaced by Highly Original design philosophy races like octopod and whatever the gently caress

i mean that crawl is in the same way that air is or consciousness is, trying to get all metaphysical up in this poo poo

seriously though tolkien races suck, if it were up to me there'd never be another story written about elves or dwarves or orcs

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

dwarfs are cool

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

maev posted:

alas, sludge elves, grey elves, and elf elves. now that crawl is down to a pitiful two elf species, I fear that it is reaching its final days...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
give vampires the ability to sprout claws and maybe turn into giant bat monsters

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

give them a charm ability

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
High elves and dark elves can gently caress off but if you don't like the idea of the typically super-pretty, better-than-humans-at-everything race also living in loving swamps and bogs and practicing martial arts, I don't know what to tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

High elves and dark elves can gently caress off but if you don't like the idea of the typically super-pretty, better-than-humans-at-everything race also living in loving swamps and bogs and practicing martial arts, I don't know what to tell you

sludge elves were cool thematically even if they didn't add much gameplay-wise that isn't covered by merfolk

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't. Tolkien-esque Elves of all breeds have always been awful

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

I don't. Tolkien-esque Elves of all breeds have always been awful

Oh yes, I forgot the part in Return of the King where Legolas learns how to turn his hands into swords from the Mud Elves

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

give vampires the ability to sprout claws and maybe turn into giant bat monsters

they can turn into bats right now, technically

Jackfruit posted:

give them a charm ability

call it 'glamour'

DoubleDonut posted:

Oh yes, I forgot the part in Return of the King where Legolas learns how to turn his hands into swords from the Mud Elves

I think it was in the extended edition, yeah. it's been a while since I saw it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
vampires already have really good hex aptitude so they don't need a built in charm aptitude. they should be just as good at transmutations and have no limitations on when they can transmute themselves though. also when a vampire casts dragon form they should turn into an equivalently strong bat monster

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

vampires already have really good hex aptitude so they don't need a built in charm aptitude. they should be just as good at transmutations and have no limitations on when they can transmute themselves though. also when a vampire casts dragon form they should turn into an equivalently strong bat monster

bat dragon. it's a big cloud of bats, shaped like a dragon. instead of breathing fire, it breathes bats

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

baaaaaat.... BLAAAAAAST!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

IN GENERAL, dragon form needs to be remade into Primordial Form, and it turns an octopode into a kraken, a draconian into a dragon, a vampire into a chiropteran marauder, etc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that actually sounds badass&unironically good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Demigods turn into Trog.

Dec 26, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

IN GENERAL, dragon form needs to be remade into Primordial Form, and it turns an octopode into a kraken, a draconian into a dragon, a vampire into a chiropteran marauder, etc

IronicDongz posted:

that actually sounds badass&unironically good

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

also ice form should turn you into an ice version of yourself, not into an ice beast, so that i don't feel like an idiot for using it instead of statue form as an octopode

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Ferrinus posted:

The cat race could turn into a dog.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

welcome posted:

The cat race could turn into a dog.

sabre-tooth tigers, obv

Ferrinus posted:

the only problem with this idea is that it means most races wouldn't be able to turn into dragons

which is hosed Up As Hell, in my opinion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^that's incentive to deal with draconian's hosed up sub-sandwhich heads

mummies just unravel into a regular human, making them tolerable to play

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

sabre-tooth tigers, obv

the only problem with this idea is that it means most races wouldn't be able to turn into dragons

which is hosed Up As Hell, in my opinion.

they become titans and archfey and stuff

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
literally the only justification for the Transmutations school, in popular roguelike "dungeon crawl: stone soup", is that it lets you turn into a dragon. any change that removes this is a failure of design, and also a failure of imagination

("primordial form" might be cool as a separate level 9 spell, idk)

Ferrinus posted:

also ice form should turn you into an ice version of yourself, not into an ice beast, so that i don't feel like an idiot for using it instead of statue form as an octopode

this is wrt rings, right? there was some talk about letting octopodes keep their rings in ice (& dragon?) form; it'd be a little weird thematically, but probably not overpowered (you are still An Octopode, In Melee), and no stranger than blade hands not melding rings.

not gonna happen until after the tournament at the earliest, of course...

(fun fact: ice form sets your size to "LARGE", the same size as an ogre or troll. this slightly decreases your evasion, and also gives you stable footing in shallow water... which would be more relevant if ice form didn't float)

e: also ice form is level 4 and statue form is level 6 (and slows all your actions by 50%), so yeah, gonna be a bit of a power difference there in general...)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 7, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

yeah, ice form shouldn't meld any equipment slots that statue form doesn't

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

literally the only justification for the Transmutations school, in popular roguelike "dungeon crawl: stone soup", is that it lets you turn into a dragon. any change that removes this is a failure of design, and also a failure of imagination
excuse me? blade hands would like a word
I have always wished transmutations had more stuff in it though, even though it's already quite an interesting spell school.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

excuse me? blade hands would like a word
I have always wished transmutations had more stuff in it though, even though it's already quite an interesting spell school.

yeah I'm hoping that 0.16 will be a "rejuvenate transmutations" version, like 0.14 was for summoning and 0.12 was for conjurations. I have some ideas but we'll see how it goes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
transmutations/hexes spell that makes armor enemies are wearing come alive and try to crush them, more DoT for higher encumbrance armor
transmutations/earth spell which makes nearby floors/walls turn into flesh ones ala the Fleshworks wizlab which bite/attack enemies that walk over or next to them
transmutations spell which turns you into a good crawl player(level 9)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

transmutation/summoning to mitotically disgorge a clone of yourself

transmutation/charms to cast Regeneration, which doesn't really make sense as a necromancy

• Locked thread