Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Roguelikes are a subgenre of RPGs that focus on turn-based combat, randomly generated content and permadeath. They're really good and you should play them. These are the main popular ones, give em a shot:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Probably the most popular "oldschool" roguelike, in constant development with ~2 new versions being released every year. Dozens of races and classes to play, hundreds of unique monsters, lots of dungeon branches including optional extended endgame, sick loot, basically just a ton of content but also tight balance and extreme Fun Factor. This is my main game and I'm pretty drat good at it if I do say so myself
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

SIL: A recent fork of the classic Angband. Set in Middle Earth during the First Age, it cleaves very close to Tolkein lore if you're into that stuff. Beyond that it's a really nice little game, fun skill system to play around with and good balance, also a fairly short game with wins taking ~2-3 hours compared to ~5-10 with many of the longer games. I play this fairly frequently but I've never won, died on the last level 4 times though. REALLY HARD!!
http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/

Brogue: Inspired very clearly by the original rogue and influential in roguelike design generally. Short and sweet, probably the most notable feature is the item interaction: almost every item, including "bad" ones like poison potions etc. can be turned against your enemies. Lots of different strategies to win and surprisingly deep, classic example of "easy to learn, hard to master". I've won this a few times but I haven't played it recently, I should get back into the weekly contests.
https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/

Nethack: Play this if you like interminable bullshit and Monty Python references. Zinc-fueled cumloads. I won a dwarf valkyrie.
http://www.nethack.org/

ADOM: Kind of like nethack with all the weird bullshit but allegedly more fun. The guy who programs it recently had a kickstarter and now it has graphics and he's fixed a lot of the exploits and game-ending bugs. I've never gotten far with it and don't intend to because I don't want to memorize 200 pages of spoilers.
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/

TOME4: Possibly the most popular roguelike at the moment? Removes a bunch of classic roguelike features such as the food clock, consumable items like health potions and teleport scrolls, and (optionally) permadeath (instead there's an optional lives system), and replaces them with ideas taken from Diablo and WoW. Extremely stupid but surprisingly fun. Never beat it on roguelike 1-life mode but I've gotten 2 chars to the second continent, game is extremely long.
http://te4.org/

Dwarf Fortress/Faster Than Light/Spelunkey/Whatever: These aren't roguelikes, they take inspiration and design cues from roguelikes while still being squarely within their own genres, (city sim for DF, platformer for Spelunkey, and so on). This doesn't mean they're bad games, some of them are actually quite good, but the insistence by games journalists/marketers that they're roguelikes is embarrassing and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Please play Dungeon Crawl, all.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Please play Dungeon Crawl, all.

Why not.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Op forgot Binding of isaac, rogue legacy, Ftl, dreadmore, noxico, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, delver, chantelise, the void.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Spenny posted:

Op forgot Binding of isaac, rogue legacy, Ftl, dreadmore, noxico, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, delver, chantelise, the void.

I think we can agree Noxico is GOTY.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Spenny posted:

I can't believe the OP forgot about the recently released, critically acclaimed Rogue Shooter.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

I think we can agree Noxico is GOTY.

http://helmet.kafuka.org/noxico/

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Mods, can you pls stop these hipsters from trolling me cruelly and pointlessly? Thanks in advance.

edit: I've now bought a new avatar. I hope you trolls are happy.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 7, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Trolling in the Roguelikes thread of all places is disgraceful.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't get into dungeon crawl at all and I feel like I'm missing the big reason anyone likes it so much. I agree that nethack is stupid monkey cheese joke poo poo, but in that game I feel like at least interesting things can happen. I thought the auto-explore button would be a huge gamechanger but instead it just lays bare the true nature of roguelikes, a stark monotony of alternating vignettes of getting hungry and killing some wandering monster.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
teleglitch was p cool

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ralp posted:

I can't get into dungeon crawl at all and I feel like I'm missing the big reason anyone likes it so much. I agree that nethack is stupid monkey cheese joke poo poo, but in that game I feel like at least interesting things can happen. I thought the auto-explore button would be a huge gamechanger but instead it just lays bare the true nature of roguelikes, a stark monotony of alternating vignettes of getting hungry and killing some wandering monster.

It's a very tactical game where smart choices will get you very far, as opposed to a lot of other roguelikes where the RNG decides your fate most of the time. I agree the early game is pretty boring though.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Ralp posted:

Crawl is massive (both the individual levels and the length of the game) and the main draw is the scope and variety of what you can do, a lot of which really only opens up once you get past the early game. SIL and Brogue are much 'tighter' in the sense of every individual encounter mattering and being a life-and-death tactical battle.

Dec 26, 2012

sil is so fuckin good

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
SNES Shiren owns

One Way Heroics also

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, good thread then, thanks. I'm going to play ToME instead of Crawl; I am extremely uninterested in making smart tactical choices and I just want to charge into a bunch of ascii graphics monsters Diablo-style.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ralp posted:

Well, good thread then, thanks. I'm going to play ToME instead of Crawl; I am extremely uninterested in making smart tactical choices and I just want to charge into a bunch of ascii graphics monsters Diablo-style.

You can't do that in ToME because it has tiles.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WHAT

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

There's an ASCII tileset too iirc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah play tome in ascii mode

ps come on ralp you can do better than this http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/ralp.html

add doomRL to the OP it is cool

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2014

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhhh this is not the ToME game I remember playing back in, I guess it was version 2. I found the "ascii mode" option but lol that is absolutely not what I mean :(

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Ralp posted:

uhhh this is not the ToME game I remember playing back in, I guess it was version 2. I found the "ascii mode" option but lol that is absolutely not what I mean :(

ToME4 has practically nothing to do with old ToME2 except it's got a clear Angband influence. ToME2 is still around somewhere but nobody plays it.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

yeah play tome in ascii mode

ps come on ralp you can do better than this http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/ralp.html

add doomRL to the OP it is cool

DoomRL is cool - I honestly have a similar reaction to ralp wrt Crawl being an eternal yawnfest of casting Brothers in Arms or Orb of Destruction at things in the odd moments between managing a huge pile of chunks of rotting quokka flesh, but DoomRL has the original doom sound effects and that's really all I'm interested in. The playstyles are definitely limited by weapon choice - there's not as much variety as crawl etc. - but the focus on ranged combat is much more engaging than most roguelikes imo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Food in crawl is really annoying and it hardly needs to exist at all, they are gonna make it better in this next version hopefully. I have most of it scripted away so I forget how bad it is when you don't.

Crawl tactics are pretty great though and honestly I find the early game really fun and balanced, the threats are tough and varied, but manageable with good tactics.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot DoomRL

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

don't play ADOM

don't play it

*THUMB*

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Food in crawl is really annoying and it hardly needs to exist at all, they are gonna make it better in this next version hopefully. I have most of it scripted away so I forget how bad it is when you don't.

Crawl tactics are pretty great though and honestly I find the early game really fun and balanced, the threats are tough and varied, but manageable with good tactics.

I don't understand why the tedium chunk system is on by default. I was playing experimental on webtiles the other day and couldn't turn it off and it was downright painful.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There were the Torneko games for PS1; you played as a fat middle-eastern man, a character you don't see too often in video games.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Screenshot from AladdinRL:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 7, 2014

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

But where are the graphics

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

crawl is good. i tried tome4 but it was mad gay. dont think ive tried sil

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

crawl is good. i tried tome4 but it was mad gay. dont think ive tried sil

p much my own experiences, but im going to insist that nerfing transmutations was bad and retarded

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

pokemon roguelike is probably the best that there is

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Spenny posted:

the void was good, but it was a survival horror game, not a roguelike.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
play shiren, for the nintendo DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Spelunky is pretty fun.

• Locked thread