Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Are there any other Superman stories similar to Birthright?

I'm fairly new to comics but Birthright has been my favorite so far. It's a shame that story line has been wiped out of existence. If I can find a story with a similar tone or themes to that I'd be really happy.

So far I've read Superman Earth One and Action Comics #1. I didn't really like either. I feel like I should be leaning towards following the Action Comics Superman story but I haven't really been able to connect to Clark Kent as a character yet. That and the pacing are my only issues. I feel like things are just sort of *happening* and there's no development of any major characters yet. Should I give it time?

Also I'm kind of confused with continuity. The way I understand it, the Superman from the New 52 is the same character as the Action Comics t-shirt Superman? Comics are hard.

Secret Origin by Geoff Johns is the same idea but it's drenched in the Silver Age. It's a good story but vastly inferior to Birthright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Also I'm kind of confused with continuity. The way I understand it, the Superman from the New 52 is the same character as the Action Comics t-shirt Superman? Comics are hard.
Grant Morrison's Action Comics run with T-shirt Superman takes place something like 5 years before "present day"/everything else--that's all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Try Greg Pak's Action Comics (#25+) if you aren't digging Grant Morrison's. There isn't much Clark at all, but there's an awesome classic adventure vibe and Lana Lang as a fantastic supporting character.
It's in the past with t-shirt Superman for the first issue since it was tying in to a Batman origins event of the time (which you don't need to know to read. It's just a setting) but jumps forward to modern day right after.

Alternatively, there's Superman #32 from last month where Geoff Johns starts his run. It's a fresh start with a lot of classic elements missing since the reboot, like a focus on the Daily Planet, Lois and Jimmy. It even avoids the current Doomsday crossover running, so you can just pick it right up and not face Lois having psychic Braniac powers or whatever's been happening.

e: I loved Morrison's Action a whole lot, though. It ends up going really crazy and fun and confusing in the way Morrison does, but there's a whole lot of heart in there.
There's an issue dedicated to an alternate Earth's black president Superman and a Halloween special which should be crazy touching if you've ever liked a dog :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's an issue dedicated to an alternate Earth's black president Superman

It also is about how DC screwed over Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Adventures of Superman #15 is a hell of a good Superman story with some purdy art.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Goon posted:

I will never, ever believe that Clark Kent Superman, even if he is the Earth 2 version, would ever do what he did in this issue, or that he would be so absolutely brainwashed as to be able to do that. The entire "Brutaal" plot smacks of a cheap ploy to justify him getting killed off to make way for his replacement. Better that he had just stayed dead.

gently caress this book.

You are right Clark Kent Superman would never do what he did in issue 25. He still died a hero.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 6, 2014

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I didn't buy the book but I read a spoiler that it was Earth 2 Bizarro the whole time?

Any truth to that?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

horsepeen posted:

I didn't buy the book but I read a spoiler that it was Earth 2 Bizarro the whole time?

Any truth to that?

Yup!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In a shocking turn of events I find myself enjoying the poo poo out of the DOOMED event.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

In a shocking turn of events I find myself enjoying the poo poo out of the DOOMED event.

I wonder why that is? Could it be them dropping the dead weight?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder why that is? Could it be them dropping the dead weight?

And it's honestly been fun as poo poo since the one shot. Pak and Soule are loving killing it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This Doomed week was such a blast. I love Aaron Kuder a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

This Doomed week was such a blast. I love Aaron Kuder a lot.

He's got so much talent, I'll be really bummed when DC pushes him off to JL to work with Johns.

You know this will happen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, off topic, but I think the Luthor and Cold inclusion is turning Justice League into a really fun Geoff book.
But I agree, just because JL is keeping Doug Mahnke employed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, off topic, but I think the Luthor and Cold inclusion is turning Justice League into a really fun Geoff book.
But I agree, just because JL is keeping Doug Mahnke employed.

I want Manke back on a solo Superman book so bad, maybe Batman/Superman when Lee is bored with it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I read all three Doomed issues this week. Did I miss something or did Cyborg Superman get defeated off screen?

He was alive and fine in SM/WW Annual 3 but come Action Comics 34 all that's left is a disembodied cyborg hand floating around. What happened there?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I read all three Doomed issues this week. Did I miss something or did Cyborg Superman get defeated off screen?

He was alive and fine in SM/WW Annual 3 but come Action Comics 34 all that's left is a disembodied cyborg hand floating around. What happened there?

Superdoom ripped his arm and then he gloated about just being a diversion, he showed up for a few panels on Action Comics when activating the portal.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superdoom ripped his arm and then he gloated about just being a diversion, he showed up for a few panels on Action Comics when activating the portal.

Oh I see it now, the floating robot arm is just the one doom ripped off that he later regenerated. Has cyborg superman ever showed up in other nu52 stories and are they any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Oh I see it now, the floating robot arm is just the one doom ripped off that he later regenerated. Has cyborg superman ever showed up in other nu52 stories and are they any good?

He popped up in Villains month and then 4-5 issues of Supergirl and he was actually not a bad reimagining.

He's Supergirl's dad

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I want Manke back on a solo Superman book so bad, maybe Batman/Superman when Lee is bored with it.

Not solo, but tada!

http://www.newsarama.com/21887-superman-wonder-woman-gets-new-creative-team-damian-inspires-the-bat-family-in-november.html

New Superman/Wonder Woman team of Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke as of issue #13.

I'm cool as long as Soule gets another comic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not solo, but tada!

http://www.newsarama.com/21887-superman-wonder-woman-gets-new-creative-team-damian-inspires-the-bat-family-in-november.html

New Superman/Wonder Woman team of Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke.

"I want to stare hard into the heart of both of these characters and their true love"
Bleh. I just cannot get behind that at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not solo, but tada!

New Superman/Wonder Woman team of Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke as of issue #13.

Wow, ask for and ye shall receive!

Soule is writing like 18 books. Let the dude take a break.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is probably only the coloring, but Superman there is missing his left eye.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It's a shame that of all the books Soule had to give up this one, considering this was by large one of his best, but the new team seems pretty solid so I'll give it a shot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Variant cover for Superman #34 :allears:

It would/could never happen but drat what I would give for Romita Sr. interiors to Superman.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ever wanted to own an essentially mint-condition Action Comics #1? Now you can! :haw:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you haven't yet, don't buy this week's Supergirl as a chapter for Doomed. It just goes over stuff we've seen.
Also it wasn't a good issue of Supergirl. Not that I minded her falling for a crippled boy her own age, that's pretty neat. It just wasn't well done.

In case you missed the solicits, Mike Johnson, one of the original N52 Supergirl writers is coming back on it in November, co-writing with a new-to-comics female author. That should be a pretty good thing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you haven't yet, don't buy this week's Supergirl as a chapter for Doomed. It just goes over stuff we've seen.
Also it wasn't a good issue of Supergirl. Not that I minded her falling for a crippled boy her own age, that's pretty neat. It just wasn't well done.

In case you missed the solicits, Mike Johnson, one of the original N52 Supergirl writers is coming back on it in November, co-writing with a new-to-comics female author. That should be a pretty good thing.
Supergirl has a new love interest every 4 issues. Off the top of my head I can think of H'El, Lobo, Jason Todd, and I think maybe Banshee's brother? This book has been really uninteresting, and I can't tell if these dumb loving stories are because Scott Lobdell & editorial demands it, or they just have really uninspired writers.

It makes me remember an interview with the writer of Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures of the fifth Grade and how it was mentioned there's no all-age Supergirl stories, I'm not sure why she's being written so poorly; she was wrote as a peppy teenager before and even though DC had a dozen plucky blond teen heroes, now they have zero.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They have one in Stargirl in JLU.

I think her loner alien attitude works at least in these early years. It made the Banshee relationship pretty nice when she was trying to break through it, before H'el on Earth killed the vibe just as she was starting to have fun.
I've liked her over in Red Lanterns and the Doomed appearance as a Red where she she told Superdoom to just let it out by smashing things in space like she'd been doing.
e: Especially her crazy psychopath grin in that issue.

I actually really liked the series before Bedard when it wasn't crossing over with Lobdel's events. I'm pumped for the original writer to get back on.

It's maybe not all-age because of a boob jokes or two, but I recall the one with SG and Power Girl fighting her fortress being a really good comedic issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 22, 2014

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

They have one in Stargirl in JLU.

I think her loner alien attitude works at least in these early years. It made the Banshee relationship pretty nice when she was trying to break through it, before H'el on Earth killed the vibe just as she was starting to have fun.
I've liked her over in Red Lanterns and the Doomed appearance as a Red where she she told Superdoom to just let it out by smashing things in space like she'd been doing.

Yeah, Red Daughter of Krypton and that whole ordeal with the Reds has been pretty good. Makes sense, Charles Soule is a great writer and I expected good things from it. I just do kind of almost wish she'd stuck around as a major player in that book for a while. It's not like her actual book has her doing anything interesting. She's always good in her secondary books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo does Pak write a great Lois. I wonder where they are going with Lana, but I assume that it will end with her getting her faith back. I also love how they made John Corbin a hero :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I also love how they made John Corbin a hero :)

I'm kinda bummed we don't actually get to see all the stuff that splash page is saying happened. I'd have taken Action doing a World Without Superman thing for a few months instead of the time jump just to see Baka and Krypto superheroing.

After months and months of this crossover, ending with all the crying and reflection, I liked how suddenly silly the cliffhanger in this issue was.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 1, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the gently caress is happening to Scott Snyder? First he drops the ball on the Wake (seriously, that finale was total poo poo) and now on Unchained. I know the fault lies with Lee but that issue was not worth the 7 months of delays we had to suffer through.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Unchained felt completely phoned in from the start, it's weird that Snyder went on about how this was the superman he always wanted to tell if he could only tell one because the whole thing has been really dull. It was just decent at the time it first came out because Lobdell was ruining both superman and action comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Unchained felt completely phoned in from the start, it's weird that Snyder went on about how this was the superman he always wanted to tell if he could only tell one because the whole thing has been really dull. It was just decent at the time it first came out because Lobdell was ruining both superman and action comics.

On the other hand Action Comics this week is pretty great. Superman has joined the Beard Avengers.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

On the other hand Action Comics this week is pretty great. Superman has joined the Beard Avengers.

Pak has been killing it on Action Comics and Johns has been doing good work too, it also helps that both of them have been throwing out all the crap Lobdell introduced. Superman has been pretty awesome lately.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Greg Pak just killed the N52 version of All-Star's suicide girl.

So, the famous rear end scene.

Batman/Superman #16

Batman/Superman #17

I imagine her first name is Regan in rear end, but that can't be a coincidence.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think Felicity is the character that Superman saves from jumping in Grounded so it could be an amalgam of both that he's using there.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
gently caress you Greg Pak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
He's loving awesome. Batman Superman and Action Comics are easily the best Superman and Batman books being published right now :colbert:

• Locked thread