Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BGrifter posted:

They deserve it. FFXIV is a remarkable product given how it started and they seem to be finally figuring out how to make mobile ports that don't suck.

Wasn't their last mobile port FFVI? Was there some miracle patch I haven't heard about? If there was then I'm buying it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

:siren:IT'S FINALLY OVER:siren:

I actually spent 200 allied seals on my 75th alexandrite just so I woudn't have to wait until tomorrow. It's so glowy!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

jabro posted:

Wasn't their last mobile port FFVI? Was there some miracle patch I haven't heard about? If there was then I'm buying it right now.

Their last mobile port was the excellent Dragon Quest 8 port. A DQ4 port is coming tonight and seems to be borrowing the same awesome control scheme DQ8 had.

From what I understand the FFVI port is still crap.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Got a sweet new coat.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BGrifter posted:

Their last mobile port was the excellent Dragon Quest 8 port. A DQ4 port is coming tonight and seems to be borrowing the same awesome control scheme DQ8 had.

The DQIV port has one issue at the moment:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/6/5974783/dargon-quest-iv-is-now-on-iphone

(It just affects the store page, the game itself is apparently fine, but it's still hilarious.)

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

CJacobs posted:

Pertinent question: The Mog Station logo is supposed to be a moogle face, right? 'cause it really looks like a moogle butt.

edit: Like the moogle is bending over like "Hey take a look at THIS, kupo" or something

edit edit: Moogltse

Inspired, I riffed off SFD's STO logo and with some :effort: in PS, I did this:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is possibly the only video game I've ever played where I have leveled up so I can do a quest, walked 5 feet, talked to a guy, walked 5 feet, talked to another guy, and then been told to come back when I level up AGAIN so I can do the next quest, and not immediately rolled my eyes and stopped playing.

In unrelated news:

It's always fun to see a million players and their mounts crowding around one big monster, leaving it to constantly switch back and forth between targets unsure of who it wants to beat the poo poo out of.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

mightygerm posted:

The cost for clears is around 1-2 million for T5/extremes, depending on the encounter and group. If you're interested we can set you up with one.

What's your. In game name? I'll look you up if. I log on this weekend.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey all, I forgot to post this last night. But guess who's the pimpest cat in all of Cactuar?

This catgirl:

Just need the pants to drop next week and I'll have the full set.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Finally got Black Mage to 45, figured that was a good time to put on my intended glamours.

Hell yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trip report: I tagged along in a hunt. It turns out that I am now getting to be a high enough level where I can make a dent in some of the big monsters and get the rewards from doing so! If I get aggro'd on I'll be killed in 1 hit but as long as I do my ranged DPS part and stay, yknow, at range, I live! :toot:

edit: Apparently this guy is rare too? I didn't know that.

What do I do with the stuff I got from it?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 7, 2014

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

CJacobs posted:

They're all end-game currency you can exchange for gear and stuff. You probably won't get any use out of any of them until you hit level 50.

Tomes of Mythology are primarily used to buy item level 90 gear and also a bunch of miscellaneous bullshit related to the relic weapon questline, Tomes of Soldiery are primarily used to buy item level 100 gear, and Allied Seals are used to either by glamor gear or items you can use to upgrade the Soldiery gear to item level 110. There's also some other crap you can buy with Allied Seals but none of it is worth it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
If you're high enough to start getting credit on hunts, make a point to hit any you see shouted about in the zone you're in. Join any hunt linkshells you can too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BGrifter posted:

Does SE even have original talent working on mobile games? The last one that comes to mind is All the Bravest and that's not really a game to be proud of.

CJacobs posted:

Trip report: I tagged along in a hunt. It turns out that I am now getting to be a high enough level where I can make a dent in some of the big monsters and get the rewards from doing so! If I get aggro'd on I'll be killed in 1 hit but as long as I do my ranged DPS part and stay, yknow, at range, I live! :toot:

It's come to this. There's going to be new players who get their first class to level 50 and have a full set of i90 gear ready and waiting for them, as well as some i100s. :psyduck:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I see a few glamour shots here, so why not. I figure this getup is about as final fantasy as I could make it, because after all depth perception is overrated.

Click for big: http://i.imgur.com/vXug8SU.jpg

I really dig the bard level 110 body, so many shiny bits.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Does SE even have original talent working on mobile games? The last one that comes to mind is All the Bravest and that's not really a game to be proud of.

Well there is that horrible Guardian Cross and the other one that's Zombie Guardian Cross, but yeah, they're pretty awful. If they can crank out decent quality ports of every Dragon Quest game though I'll continue to throw money at them.

They can even call it Dargon Quest. :v:

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Did you get exp for the hunt? I occasionally see sub lvl50 players asking whether or not they could join when we're all waiting to pull a mark. I just tell them to join a group anyways so they can get tomes and seals, but no idea about exp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did, yes. Killing the monster got me a pretty hefty amount of exp.

edit: Checked the screenshots and no, I didn't, I'm wrong! I got all the seal rewards but no exp, presumably because its level was still so far above me.

Either way, I didn't have to ask. I just showed up and the guy invited me.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 7, 2014

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Haven't played since 1.0, would my character still be there if I came back?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

I did, yes. Killing the monster got me a pretty hefty amount of exp.

edit: Checked the screenshots and no, I didn't, I'm wrong! I got all the seal rewards but no exp, presumably because its level was still so far above me.

Either way, I didn't have to ask. I just showed up and the guy invited me.

I'd bet that hunt mobs plain don't give XP. There's little reason from them to do so since they're intended for players at the level cap.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Haven't played since 1.0, would my character still be there if I came back?

Should be. Although I don't know what server you're going to have wound up on since we're not on the same server our 1.0 characters would have defaulted to. (They defaulted to a Japanese server.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xenoveritas posted:

I'd bet that hunt mobs plain don't give XP. There's little reason from them to do so since they're intended for players at the level cap.

That makes more sense!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

More than 850k, less than the cheapest small FC lot (2 million, I think). Most guesses are about 1 million.
Does that mean the biggest personal house will be cheaper than the smallest FC, or that the smallest personal house will be smaller than the smallest FC?

This is Very Important To Me.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I am a big dumb and decided to glamour myself to be a Garlean soldier using the story disguise you get. The only problem is what to use for the the legs and gloves. For reference:

I don't remember seeing studded gloves anywhere in the game, although I could be wrong. I also have no idea what models I should use for the pants or boots either.

EDIT: Managed to come up with a rough version:

The Goatskin Crakows were an exact match, but I just went with Hempen Shortgloves and Tights since I couldn't find anything closer. This will probably be the best I can manage.

DemonTrigger fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

SE nuked a LOT of its new IP development in the recent reorg - projects were cancelled left, right and centre.

Mobile got off lighter than the other divisions (because it's making the company good money) but a lot of the contract developers got asked to leave, while other career developers were subsumed under the mainline content teams.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Garlean uniform has always kind of weirded me out. I've come to expect the bad guys in fiction to have the snazziest uniforms, but they just get over-sized shirts and dumpy little helmets.

Granted, if you're someone important you get to be anime Darth Vader, but everyone else gets screwed. Their lack of fashion sense is truly their greatest crime. :colbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Soldiery pants for tanks is a skirt.
No, it's booty shorts with a bit of skirt in the front.

(I switched to the Cavalry top after this shot to cover that up. And then later I got the Divine War pants which look pretty sweet.)

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

Meiteron posted:

I'm on Ultros and hunts are very much just a whirling vortex of hate and raw human greed during prime times, so I may have a different opinion on this, but resetting is awesome and I tend to do a fair bit of it.

Sup Ultros buddy. It's crazy how emotional /shout gets in the aftermath of a hunt. There's one guy (Simon something) who is pretty much guaranteed to drop an all-caps C-bomb in /shout immediately after the death of a hunt is announced. I can just picture him full of piss and vinegar, riding furiously out of Fallgourd Float like a bat out of hell, only to hear the shout "Phecda dead at North Shroud (22, 27)", and then dismount, fall to his knees and bellow "CUUUUUUNTS" with impotent rage to the heavens.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Crazy Larry posted:

What's new/different in patch 2.3? Is there a tl:dr for it? I'm thinking about playing again and tried reading the patch notes but they're too drat long.

Come back to us Larry. Let us get wasted and wipe to things we shouldn't wipe to again, like the good ole days.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

satsu posted:

Sup Ultros buddy. It's crazy how emotional /shout gets in the aftermath of a hunt. There's one guy (Simon something) who is pretty much guaranteed to drop an all-caps C-bomb in /shout immediately after the death of a hunt is announced. I can just picture him full of piss and vinegar, riding furiously out of Fallgourd Float like a bat out of hell, only to hear the shout "Phecda dead at North Shroud (22, 27)", and then dismount, fall to his knees and bellow "CUUUUUUNTS" with impotent rage to the heavens.

Oh god, that's Simon Leonhart. One time he was in my t6 pug and died to every single bouquet while screeching about how the hornet killed him (whether the hornet was aggroed on him or not :psyduck:) He's a ridiculous bad and all around rear end in a top hat

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Real life Lala, and she sounds EXACTLY like I dream they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HMQNl9KrZc

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

bonewitch posted:

Oh god, that's Simon Leonhart. One time he was in my t6 pug and died to every single bouquet while screeching about how the hornet killed him (whether the hornet was aggroed on him or not :psyduck:) He's a ridiculous bad and all around rear end in a top hat

This guy was in my low level roulette last night. What a complete rear end in a top hat he was as well. He got into a pissing match with me because I wasn't "tanking fast enough" and thankfully the rest of the group agreed to kick him before the second boss. That guy has some major life issues.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

GEMorris posted:

This guy was in my low level roulette last night. What a complete rear end in a top hat he was as well. He got into a pissing match with me because I wasn't "tanking fast enough" and thankfully the rest of the group agreed to kick him before the second boss. That guy has some major life issues.

Literally every time I've run into him I've either had a bad experience with him or had someone tell me how much they hate him.

Pro Ultros Tips: Blacklist him and make your life a million times easier.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It kinda makes me want to create a character on that server.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

jabro posted:

It kinda makes me want to create a character on that server.

Excalibur has Ryu Monjin, you can get the same experience at home.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kyrosiris posted:

Excalibur has Ryu Monjin, you can get the same experience at home.

Is he still around? I haven't really seen him since he got banned and made that second character.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Ultros is basically a nonstop parade of assholes tho like I can name a couple of people like Leonheart. Like fuckin' Duo Maxwell or Mom Manga or whatever.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is he still around? I haven't really seen him since he got banned and made that second character.

Yup, he's still shouting in Mor Dhona. And on at least one occasion, Lower La Noscea. Just as Ryu Mon now, not Ryu Monjin.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He called me a cross dresser the other day.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I still see people talking about him, so maybe? No idea. :v: I avoid Mor Dhona like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rei_ posted:

Ultros is basically a nonstop parade of assholes tho like I can name a couple of people like Leonheart. Like fuckin' Duo Maxwell or Mom Manga or whatever.

I haven't seen Mom Manga in forever are they still around

Also speaking of Ultros assholes, there's Jay Welch, the tank that called me a "useless rear end bitch" and the n-bomb cause I popped one too many offensive cooldowns during a pull and pulled aggro for like half a second in T7. :v:

• Locked thread