Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ookuwagata posted:

Well that match with Brazil must have been really interesting to watch. I mean in the same way it's interesting to watch that nature documentary where an eagle throws a goat off a cliff.

Also: am booked to go to Iceland in August, and stay about six days.
The finale was also pretty great. Was only pro-German there, was great~

Toss me a line when that gets closer, I can give some advice or maybe giv u a drank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Deceitful Penguin, there's actually an Ex China goon working in Iceland now. It would be cool if you can say hi to him and show him around town.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've heard the following phrase: "Learning Icelandic is like getting a tattoo on your rear end - it's painful, and you can't show it off to anyone."

What is your thought on foreigners learning Icelandic? I know that other Scandinavian countries (Norway mainly, Sweden and Denmark less so) would rather just speak English with foreigners, since it's usually too much of a pain to communicate well in the native language.

I ask because I'm a linguist who has always had a fascination with some of the older Scandinavian languages (Icelandic, Faroese, Old Norse, etc.) - but it's somewhat demotivating to think that no Icelanders would want to speak with me. :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

caberham posted:

Hey Deceitful Penguin, there's actually an Ex China goon working in Iceland now. It would be cool if you can say hi to him and show him around town.
Ahhh yeaa, umm, Bad "What Air Conditioner should I get" Astronaut right? They usually take good care of the new arrivals at CCP but I'd be willing to show him the sights and what beaches to surf, places to grab grub and drinks and whatnot, if he can get his contact info to me. The one I made for this thread was uhh, malcowitz at gmail dot com.

I'll give him some northern hospitality to be sure. Anything for my Chinagoons.

QPZIL posted:

I've heard the following phrase: "Learning Icelandic is like getting a tattoo on your rear end - it's painful, and you can't show it off to anyone."

What is your thought on foreigners learning Icelandic? I know that other Scandinavian countries (Norway mainly, Sweden and Denmark less so) would rather just speak English with foreigners, since it's usually too much of a pain to communicate well in the native language.

I ask because I'm a linguist who has always had a fascination with some of the older Scandinavian languages (Icelandic, Faroese, Old Norse, etc.) - but it's somewhat demotivating to think that no Icelanders would want to speak with me. :)
I speak Icelandic to foreigners mostly, though it can often be a struggle of years to get it right. As someone fluently bilingual and quite good at a third, it doesn't bother me much which language I use but practice makes perfect when it comes to learning any language, but especially one so full of things that simply have to be memorized, sans sense or rules that would help.

So long as you're making a sincere effort, I think most Icelanders would be willing to take it easy and chat, although as a people we are notoriously impatient.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I've been to Iceland twice, once in March and once in May. The weather was pretty nice throughout, not too cold and not much rain/snow. I'm looking to come again in late October, but I wonder how the weather is then and how much sunlight you have at that time of year.

I love Iceland, it's a beautiful country and the people have always been friendly. There's a nice small town atmosphere, despite being a city and the capital of the country.

I've done all the touristy things in Reykjavik and around (Blue Lagoon, golden circle, Thingvellir, Vik, Seljalandsfoss & Skogafoss) but are there neat experiences close to the city accessible without renting a car? I know we want to do some horse riding again.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

I've been to Iceland twice, once in March and once in May. The weather was pretty nice throughout, not too cold and not much rain/snow. I'm looking to come again in late October, but I wonder how the weather is then and how much sunlight you have at that time of year.

I love Iceland, it's a beautiful country and the people have always been friendly. There's a nice small town atmosphere, despite being a city and the capital of the country.

I've done all the touristy things in Reykjavik and around (Blue Lagoon, golden circle, Thingvellir, Vik, Seljalandsfoss & Skogafoss) but are there neat experiences close to the city accessible without renting a car? I know we want to do some horse riding again.
Late October could be anything from rain to snow to fine clear air, though it is most likely to be the former two. A long term weather prediction in Iceland is a week ahead in time and it's probs wrong at that, so anything other than that would be, eh, not very reliable.

Around October, the sun sets around sixish, on average, with a bit of murk lurking for longer. Late October would be even later than that. You can still get plenty done inside in the dark, and I have a few suggestions:

Well, there's hiking to Esjan, there's art, cinema and theatre, there's various museums and experiences in the bus route, like in Borgarnes and whatnot, but in the absolute near your best bet would probs just be horse riding, maybe some culture in the glass monstrosity if that's your thing. There's always bands and concerts and some archaeology here and there if you wanna learn about the vikings (Borgarnes actually has a fairly decent museum about that with great food) and you could visit the president and try out the Icelandic swimming pools. They are great and way too few tourists try them out.

Is there anything in particular you'd like or be interested in?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Well, there's hiking to Esjan, there's art, cinema and theatre, there's various museums and experiences in the bus route, like in Borgarnes and whatnot, but in the absolute near your best bet would probs just be horse riding, maybe some culture in the glass monstrosity if that's your thing. There's always bands and concerts and some archaeology here and there if you wanna learn about the vikings (Borgarnes actually has a fairly decent museum about that with great food) and you could visit the president and try out the Icelandic swimming pools. They are great and way too few tourists try them out.

Is there anything in particular you'd like or be interested in?

Thanks for the info. I wanted to come for the marathon this year, but I think that'll have to wait until next year. I like the hiking idea, in fact any hiking that doesn't require a guide sounds great. Laxnes was great for horse riding and I may go back. I've stayed at Hotel Cabin before and it has been good. The Laugardalur swimming pool is right down the street, so I may try that this time. Hell yes, I'd like to meet the president. If you can hook that up, I'll have to buy you dinner or something.

Also, at Hamborgarafabrikkan I didn't understand a word they were saying, but I think I got the gist that they had a counter on the wall and announced and cheered any new Icelandic baby births. It was a pretty cool experience (if that's what it was). The food was good too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I'll give him some northern hospitality to be sure. Anything for my Chinagoons.
I speak Icelandic to foreigners mostly, though it can often be a struggle of years to get it right. As someone fluently bilingual and quite good at a third, it doesn't bother me much which language I use but practice makes perfect when it comes to learning any language, but especially one so full of things that simply have to be memorized, sans sense or rules that would help.

So long as you're making a sincere effort, I think most Icelanders would be willing to take it easy and chat, although as a people we are notoriously impatient.

Takk fyrir svar.

Íslenska er, að mínu mati, ekki svo erfitt. Vandamálið mitt er að það er erfitt að finna fólk með hvern á að tala.

One of my big pronunciation is the '-ll' ending. Every time I think I have it sounding good, I see another Youtube video of someone pronouncing it a different way! I guess that can just be attributed to regional dialects though :) Would you say this person's pronunciation is fairly normal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo_ND41-6g

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cacafuego posted:

Also, at Hamborgarafabrikkan I didn't understand a word they were saying, but I think I got the gist that they had a counter on the wall and announced and cheered any new Icelandic baby births. It was a pretty cool experience (if that's what it was). The food was good too.

It's cute but it's a real downer if there is an avalanche or a ship sinks and they have to take down a bunch of numbers.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for the info. I wanted to come for the marathon this year, but I think that'll have to wait until next year. I like the hiking idea, in fact any hiking that doesn't require a guide sounds great. Laxnes was great for horse riding and I may go back. I've stayed at Hotel Cabin before and it has been good. The Laugardalur swimming pool is right down the street, so I may try that this time. Hell yes, I'd like to meet the president. If you can hook that up, I'll have to buy you dinner or something.

Got plenty hinking stuff near the capital you can do, both just along normal trails and up mountains and stuff. Esjan is like, the archetypical mountain to climb.

I dunno about Ólaf. He was cool the first few times about it but half the time he isn't home and the last time I asked he said no. We can always check out the 'Icelandic White House' though.

QPZIL posted:

Takk fyrir svar.

Íslenska er, að mínu mati, ekki svo erfitt. Vandamálið mitt er að það er erfitt að finna fólk með hvern á að tala.

One of my big pronunciation is the '-ll' ending. Every time I think I have it sounding good, I see another Youtube video of someone pronouncing it a different way! I guess that can just be attributed to regional dialects though :) Would you say this person's pronunciation is fairly normal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo_ND41-6g
Hardest part for foreigners is usually declinations and grammar though! For instance, that should be 'svarið', 'erfið', 'vandamál' and 'til að tala við'. You can pick up prounciation and vocab by participating in the language, but that underlying poo poo is counter-intuitive as heck.

That pronounciation is ok. It's one of those sounds that is hard as balls for folks to make though. Wish I knew some sites for chat, as sadly I am working 12 hour shifts these days and am not exactly loaded with time. :(

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

For instance, that should be 'svarið'...

:eng101: (or :far101:, as the case may be) That would actually have been acceptable in Faroese, if he was adding some ironic distance to a non-serious answer. The more you know, etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

:eng101: (or :far101:, as the case may be) That would actually have been acceptable in Faroese, if he was adding some ironic distance to a non-serious answer. The more you know, etc.
Haha, that would actually also work in Icelandic ironically, now that I think about it. Faroese and Icelandic are so wonderfully similar but different.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
Okay, so I'm going to arrive in Iceland on August 6th and stay until the 12th. The hostel I'm staying at doesn't do check in until after 2 PM, so from 9 to then I was thinking of visiting Blue Lagoon after picking up the rental car. On the next two days I was thinking of doing the Golden Circle, and breaking it up into two pieces, so I don't get rushed. First day I was thinking of seeing Thingvellir. The second day I complete the rest of it, seeing Geysir and Gulfoss and Hveragerdi on the way back. After that I want to see Reynisfjara Beach in Vik. And for the last two days I was thinking of staying in Reykjavik to do some shopping and see some museums or something. Kind of flexible on those two days. Thoughts (other than how very "touristy" this plan is)?

Also, Deceitful Penguin, I sent you my email for contact.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ookuwagata posted:

Okay, so I'm going to arrive in Iceland on August 6th and stay until the 12th. The hostel I'm staying at doesn't do check in until after 2 PM, so from 9 to then I was thinking of visiting Blue Lagoon after picking up the rental car. On the next two days I was thinking of doing the Golden Circle, and breaking it up into two pieces, so I don't get rushed. First day I was thinking of seeing Thingvellir. The second day I complete the rest of it, seeing Geysir and Gulfoss and Hveragerdi on the way back. After that I want to see Reynisfjara Beach in Vik. And for the last two days I was thinking of staying in Reykjavik to do some shopping and see some museums or something. Kind of flexible on those two days. Thoughts (other than how very "touristy" this plan is)?

Also, Deceitful Penguin, I sent you my email for contact.
Seems pretty solid to me! While it's very possible to do the Golden Circle in 2 days, it would mean spending plenty time on each part, which is fine I guess but as a man easily bored I might recommend checking out some of the small places inbetween. I always liked Flúðir, for its strawberries and nice pool. Hvergerði used to have a lovely lil place 'fore it burned down , but as for anything nowadays I ain't so sure.

And 2 days is plenty to get a good glimpse, though I'll sadly be working my night shifts at that time, sadly. 10th is my last free day, but I might catch you then. We'll see. At the very least I could give you some restaurant tips and bar recommendations~

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I just moved to Iceland. Expect questions.

For now, is it worth learning Icelandic at all? Everyone I have met speaks perfect or near-perfect English, so it would be both a respect thing, a means of being sure I won't ever not be able to communicate (unlikely) and also so when I am hanging out with a group of Icelandic friends they don't all have to switch to English for the one stupid utlander. I don't know how long I'll be here - for now it is permanent.

Also, hello.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

I just moved to Iceland. Expect questions.

For now, is it worth learning Icelandic at all? Everyone I have met speaks perfect or near-perfect English, so it would be both a respect thing, a means of being sure I won't ever not be able to communicate (unlikely) and also so when I am hanging out with a group of Icelandic friends they don't all have to switch to English for the one stupid utlander. I don't know how long I'll be here - for now it is permanent.

Also, hello.
What up. Was wondering if I was gonna have to call Jón and ask for the number of the "New guy from South Africa who likes surfing" but decided against. Thought it might creep you out, but didn't wanna let Cabs down.

Unless you plan on staying here the rest of your life don't bother with anything but cursory Icelandic. "Halló", "Jæja" and "Eina með öllu" will do fine if you're just here for the job. But if you plan on charming some Icelandic maiden or, gods forbid, trying for a citizenship (the moment the immigration see 'Africa' on your application all manner of racist alarmbells will start ringing in their heads) then you'd be putting in a considerable amount of effort into learning a language that while possessing a long and deep history with some interesting literature, is of somewhat limited use outside academia.

Still, taking an Icelandic course is a good way to hit up some other newcomers to hang wit, that's what it was like for me in Germany and it was pretty solid. Afrikaans is a Germanic language also so you might not find it too hard to learn? Who knows.

I'll be free next week, might spot you the drive to one of the nicer Chinese places away from the center you mighta not tried yet if you wanna. And I'm quite ready for any questions you might wanna ask, as well.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

My experiences with and as a foreigner is to go for it - try to learn the language. Whilst the language itself is, like DP said, of little use outside of Iceland (and the Faroes), merely studying will go a long way in getting accepted by the community. People, or at least us northerners, act very differently towards a foreigner who doesn't speak the local language vs. one who tries, even if the results are poor. It shows that not only are you willing to learn, and to put in the effort to learn our small and frankly insignificant languages, but that you respect our culture. It's really flattering :)

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey Iceland thread!

I'll be flying into Reykjavik August 13th for 6 days. My itinerary is basically just winging it when I get there thus far, but is there anything especially awesome to look into for mid to late August? I won't have access to a car, so I'll be using public transit; how much is that going to limit what I can do in and around the city? Also, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and book hostel accommodation for the duration of my stay or not, depending on if I leave the city overnight or decide to roll the dice with couchsurfing. I know this isn't the travel thread, but does anyone have suggestions on hostels or other accommodation in Reykjavik, by chance?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tannin posted:

Hey Iceland thread!

I'll be flying into Reykjavik August 13th for 6 days. My itinerary is basically just winging it when I get there thus far, but is there anything especially awesome to look into for mid to late August? I won't have access to a car, so I'll be using public transit; how much is that going to limit what I can do in and around the city? Also, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and book hostel accommodation for the duration of my stay or not, depending on if I leave the city overnight or decide to roll the dice with couchsurfing. I know this isn't the travel thread, but does anyone have suggestions on hostels or other accommodation in Reykjavik, by chance?
There's a shitload to do which I mentioned in various, but I gots to know rough specifics you want outta it. I've given some recommends for museums, art galleries, bars and pools, but really you can get most of that by going into the first tourist info you find and asking them. What do you want out of it?

Heh, the two hotels I worked at are, respectively, way outside the city and hella high end, so unless you wanna hang at an apartment hotel and pay big bucks I can't help you there. The International hostel in Reykjavík has a good rep and location I guess? Really, Booking.com and Expedia are hella easy to use and should give you enough info to make an educated decision.

inscrutable horse posted:

My experiences with and as a foreigner is to go for it - try to learn the language. Whilst the language itself is, like DP said, of little use outside of Iceland (and the Faroes), merely studying will go a long way in getting accepted by the community. People, or at least us northerners, act very differently towards a foreigner who doesn't speak the local language vs. one who tries, even if the results are poor. It shows that not only are you willing to learn, and to put in the effort to learn our small and frankly insignificant languages, but that you respect our culture. It's really flattering :)
Yea, what he says is totally true. Showing intent of learning is worth a lot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think we did it wrong in Reykjavík as no matter how many times we tried to find affordable housing we kept landing on apartments for short-term rent as the most economical solution. Though thinking back it is entirely possible we ruled out anything that had online comments like "I NEVER FELT SAFE" so it could be that was why we ignored hostels. But we normally love hostels. I DO NOT KNOW. I do know our apartment-stay experience was the best though.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Hey. I'm going to Iceland in a few months. Other than Hallgrímskirkja, what are some neat things in or relatively around Reykjavik that are worth taking a look at? Architecture with a fair bit of history behind it would be neat.

E: Also, are most of the waterfalls relatively easily accessible by car? From the images I've seen, that doesn't seem very likely.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 7, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Hey. I'm going to Iceland in a few months. Other than Hallgrímskirkja, what are some neat things in or relatively around Reykjavik that are worth taking a look at? Architecture with a fair bit of history behind it would be neat.

E: Also, are most of the waterfalls relatively easily accessible by car? From the images I've seen, that doesn't seem very likely.
Harpan, the new concert hall is a pretty rad new building. Aside from Hallgrímskirkjan you have the old Catholic Church and one other which I forget what's called that are all neat. The University is a pretty cool building and if you don't look too tourist you can also sneak around there and see it from the inside. National Theatre, Reykjavík theatre and of course Parliament are a few worth a look.

And you can reach a few with just a car and a bit of walking. In a country full of mountains and rain finding some ain't hard, finding the great ones can be though.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

As for unusual architecture we have Ásmundarsafn, you might want to check if that is open as it got some interesting statues as well. There is also Næpan, not open for public as far as I recall. National Gallery of Iceland is also pretty interesting looking. As for architecture with history behind it, I'm not that well versed.

Deceitful Penguin would though be a better judge if any of these would be worth checking out. I'm not from Reykjavík but I've heard about these houses/museums. As for waterfalls, if you got a car it might be worth it to see Glanni, which is kinda hidden from tourists to begin with.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Oxararfoss was one of my favorite waterfalls and it is just a short walk from a parking lot in Thingvellir. Are you staying near Reykjavik? Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss are also right off the Ring Road, but quite a drive from Reykjavik.

Oxararfoss at Thingvellir by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Harpan, the new concert hall is a pretty rad new building. Aside from Hallgrímskirkjan you have the old Catholic Church and one other which I forget what's called that are all neat. The University is a pretty cool building and if you don't look too tourist you can also sneak around there and see it from the inside. National Theatre, Reykjavík theatre and of course Parliament are a few worth a look.

And you can reach a few with just a car and a bit of walking. In a country full of mountains and rain finding some ain't hard, finding the great ones can be though.

I'm paler than a plastic bag and relatively tall, so I think I could pass as an Icelandic university student. Thanks for the advice.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I'm paler than a plastic bag and relatively tall, so I think I could pass as an Icelandic university student. Thanks for the advice.
Mmm, ain't no thang and thanks Iced Cocoa and Kiri koli for chiming in.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Oh, yeah, thanks dudes. Meant to quote and respond to you as well - don't think that I ignored your posts.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Deceitful, how can I reach you off these here forums? facebewk?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Deceitful, how can I reach you off these here forums? facebewk?
Oh yea, forgot the email. The one I use to send more info is malcowitz at gmail.com, should maybe put it in the OP. Really only use it to give folks my real contact info though.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
I just got back from Iceland yesterday (if 11:30 PM really counts as yesterday) and thanks Deceitful Penguin for the pizza and scaring away French tourists with loud talking.

Things I have eaten:
Hakarl: Quite good, all those television people that say it's the worst food in the world are babies. It's rather like a hundred year old egg with delicious fish flavor.
Hardfiskur: Mild tasting. Good with butter. Hurts my teeth.
Skyr: The berry flavor and peach flavor are good, plain also has its own appeal. The baked apple is kind of gross tasting though... it just doesn't go well.
Geothermally cooked egg: It's a boiled egg, but it was boiled perfectly, with the yolk being solid but soft, and not chalky
Pylsur: The sauces and crunchy onions were good, and the hot dog tasted good too. Good, but not as amazing as I was expecting. Really fast though. You pay your money and it's in your hand in less than 10 seconds. I have never had food this fast, and stood around like a moron for half a minute after it's done.
Minke Whale: Chewy. Taste quite gamey, sort of like lamb, which I actually like. I was wondering at the back of my head if I was actually eating just lamb, if it weren't for the fact that the inside retained a really red crimson color.
Langoustine: Had this in a curry soup. Soft, buttery, delicious.
Svidh: Absolutely amazing (I had it hot, which is really delicious). The skin covers a thick layer of rich fat, which in turn covers a fall-from-the-bone tender meat. The eyeballs are soft and delicious.

The Golden Circle

The South Coast

Hallgrimskirkja

Blue Lagoon

During the peak season, I highly recommend getting up early (like 5 or 6 AM) and getting to the touristy spots early, so you can get there before the unwashed masses and bus tourists get there. I also would like to recommend the little town of Hveragerdi, for the river of Reyjadalur. It's a 3.5 kilometer hike into a mountain following a river past several boiling hot mud pits, steam vents and scalding springs. Eventually, you make it to the part of the river where the water is geothermally heated. By the way, there are no changing facilities.

E:
Svidh is really drat good.

ookuwagata fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 13, 2014

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey again everybody, I've finally made it into Iceland and am currently staying in Hafnarfjordur. I wandered around downtown Reykjavik for a while this morning since my plane got in at 5:30 am, and it's great so far. I had a pylsur at the suggested place, good stuff. That lady is a whirlwind of activity. Anyway, I'm in town until Tuesday, is anyone else in town that would want to do some fun stuff and/or adventure in Reykjavik? I'll probably try to hike a mountain or two, and see the flea market on Saturday at least as per Deceitful Penguin's suggestions at the beginning of the thread.

Also ookuwagata, where did you get that crazy food?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nice meeting up with you dawg. Hope your customs go well now you're back. Funny you liking svið, a regular Afghani tribesman eh.

And thems some lovely pics indeed! Hope to see you again some day.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
On the topic of learning the language, do you know of anything similar to Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone for learning Icelandic? I don't have any real use for reading it other than maybe the Sagas, so anything speaking-oriented would be much appreciated. I want to get my Icelandic up to a reasonable level before next year - probably going to end up being a very difficult goal.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

On the topic of learning the language, do you know of anything similar to Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone for learning Icelandic? I don't have any real use for reading it other than maybe the Sagas, so anything speaking-oriented would be much appreciated. I want to get my Icelandic up to a reasonable level before next year - probably going to end up being a very difficult goal.
No real idea, I learned all my languages by going to countries and hanging around in bars inbetween classes spent sobering up.
This might work?

http://icelandiconline.is/

Yea, try that.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

No real idea, I learned all my languages by going to countries and hanging around in bars inbetween classes spent sobering up.
This might work?

http://icelandiconline.is/

Yea, try that.

The power of Google. Thanks. I guess people think that Icelandic is too irrelevant to have a Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone program :(.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

So, DP, what's your opinion on Egils Gull? :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Odin almighty I have not had a chance to be social to the congenial OP, but I will, sir, I will.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Tannin posted:

Hey again everybody, I've finally made it into Iceland and am currently staying in Hafnarfjordur. I wandered around downtown Reykjavik for a while this morning since my plane got in at 5:30 am, and it's great so far. I had a pylsur at the suggested place, good stuff. That lady is a whirlwind of activity. Anyway, I'm in town until Tuesday, is anyone else in town that would want to do some fun stuff and/or adventure in Reykjavik? I'll probably try to hike a mountain or two, and see the flea market on Saturday at least as per Deceitful Penguin's suggestions at the beginning of the thread.

Also ookuwagata, where did you get that crazy food?

Hakarl (and hardfiskur, but mind your teeth, that stuff is hard!) can be eaten at Cafe Loki which is within literal spitting distance from Hallgrimskirkja. It's right across the street. I recommend sitting upstairs in front of the grimmest mural ever (which depicts a huuge pile of dead bodies in the aftermath of Ragnarok). E: If you've saved room for dessert, the Skyr cake with rhubarb syrup is so good

Svidh is available at the cafeteria for the BSI bus terminal Fljott Og Gott; it's close to Reykjavik Airport near Perlan. It's actually sort of weird because the rest of the menu seems like what you would normally expect from a bus station cafeteria; burgers, coke, etc.

Saegreifinn, which serves minke whale and curry langoustine soup is located right in the old harbor area. It's in a turquoise blue shack, across the street from the pier where all the whale tours start. You know you're on the right track if right across the pier there is a small shack with a ton of posters telling you not to eat whale ("Meet us don't eat us!"). Keep in mind that the sampler platter is just a tiny cube. It is literally just a sample.

Also, if you're going to drink beer in Iceland, may I heartily recommend Gaedingur? Their Pale Ale is very, very nice.

ookuwagata fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
OP - I was reading in the news about an 'earthquake storm' right now of one of the bigger volcano/fault lines. Do you worry or stress about those? Do you do anything to be prepared if there is a major eruption?

• Locked thread