Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The JP language pack is the only thing I care about of those, of COURSE it isn't there yet. I mean, I am using the hacked together one but it isn't perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I kind of want to buy the Unique Weapon Pack just to find out who fights with a football and an octopus.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The football is probably Dong Zhuo.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I think the octopus is Zhang Chunhua.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'd totally watch a Dynasty Warriors LP with similar content to the historical posts that guy was making a few pages ago. Footage of hundreds of mooks being comboed down overlaid with "So you see, Lu Bu wasn't such a colossal rear end because I know nothing about the history of this time

Add a second guy to provide some colour and you're golden.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i kinda wanna know who the historical badasses were, or at least the guys that most closely lived up to their ridiculous reputations in rotk

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Someone linked me to this thread because of Brony Hunter's informative posts. Interesting read.
As for the games Warriors games, I only ever played Warriors Orochi. :v:

Verviticus posted:

i kinda wanna know who the historical badasses were, or at least the guys that most closely lived up to their ridiculous reputations in rotk

One of Zhang Liao's titles is "The General Who Rocks Bandits". Also, he kicked Sun Quan's rear end with hilarious frequency and his insane victory at Hefei really did happen, although he certainly didn't personally rack up the bodycount mentioned in RotTK.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Holy poo poo lol at 70 dollars of dlc with more to come. I want the occupation costumes and the new arm crossbow weapon, but I don't see those on steam?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
All I know about Cao Cao is based on his wikipedia page, including "He was offered the post of Administrator of Dong Commandery (東郡), but he declined".

Dude could've been a Dong Commanderer, but he turned it down! Classy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Holy poo poo lol at 70 dollars of dlc with more to come. I want the occupation costumes and the new arm crossbow weapon, but I don't see those on steam?

There is another batch of dlc coming still. My guess is in one or two weeks.

Oh the occupation costumes are part of the special costume packs so we have some of them at least.

Edit: nvm I was wrong. The occupation packs are the special costumes we don't have yet. Be warned the occupations pack is 22$ (but does have a ton of costumes) on ps4 and we seem to be parity with those releases.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 7, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So I noticed Warriors: Legends of Troy is available on PSN for 20 bucks. Is it worth getting?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I wasn't really expecting the DLC to cost this much. Most DLC I've seen that was similar to this never gets anywhere near even $5, and they're charging $13 for wallpapers?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Welcome to Japanese pricing models. It's not uncommon to pay 3-4$ for one costume.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, they're going into Full Whale-mode. I wonder if their audience will get reduced into the three digits, like so many other otaku-targeting products, for all I know half of the western fanbase posts ITT.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you find yourself needing to mash the musou button, or the two sticks to activate rage mode, four or five times before it activates? I mean, I'm just on normal mode now so that kind of problem won't usually kill me, but when I get into hard mode and beyond that's gonna be the end of me.

Sorry for the delayed response- rage mode on the Vita gets activated by simply tapping the lower left corner 'zone' of the screen, which makes it a little easier than having to depress two analog sticks. But, yes, occasionally I have to hit it a few times for the game to figure out I mean it. Sometimes it happens on a musou, sometimes it happens just trying to get attacks started. If I'm hitting other buttons and they're working though, usually my efforts to initiate musou or rage are instant. With the vita there just seems to be an occasional, glitchy global input lag on occasion, and I'm not sure what that occasion is. I've actually developed a reflex where if I don't see my weapon swinging when I start hitting buttons I'll backpedal, veer away from a fight.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PureRok posted:

I wasn't really expecting the DLC to cost this much. Most DLC I've seen that was similar to this never gets anywhere near even $5, and they're charging $13 for wallpapers?

The wallpapers are ridiculous, but some of the other stuff isn't that out of line. For instance, a DLC for Saints Row 4 that includes 2 outfits and 1 weapon skin is $2.99 whereas for $4.99 in DW8 you get 12 stages and 77 weapons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I noticed Warriors: Legends of Troy is available on PSN for 20 bucks. Is it worth getting?

I managed to force myself through the story mode of Ken's Rage 2 but couldn't stomach Legends of Troy for more than thirty minutes, if that tells you anything.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I managed to force myself through the story mode of Ken's Rage 2 but couldn't stomach Legends of Troy for more than thirty minutes, if that tells you anything.

Same. People talk a lot of poo poo about Ken's Rage 2, but Troy was far worse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maleketh posted:

Same. People talk a lot of poo poo about Ken's Rage 2, but Troy was far worse.

Now I am interested: in what ways was it bad? Troy that is.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah I have no idea why the wallpapers are the most expensive DLC. The other stuff at least looks reasonable for the most part.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How exactly do you save Dian Wei in DW8?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Anonymous Robot posted:

How exactly do you save Dian Wei in DW8?

I think it happens if you save Cao Ang and Anmin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Easiest way is to play as Dian Wei, take out everyone in the castle, rescue the two Cao's, make sure to kill everyone, then exit out. The weird thing is, you get the Shot cutscene no matter what.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Also if you're playing Dian Wei you get your health reduced for the rest of the level. Same with other characters that get injured in mid battle cutscenes.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'd totally watch a Dynasty Warriors LP with similar content to the historical posts that guy was making a few pages ago. Footage of hundreds of mooks being comboed down overlaid with "So you see, Lu Bu wasn't such a colossal rear end because I know nothing about the history of this time

Add a second guy to provide some colour and you're golden.

This is something I've been considering for some time, and been working on maximising my stats on characters in the older games in preparation for, almost done with DW4XL (Guan Yu's Legend mode is being a pain), I'd definitely be up for some collaboration with the older games in the series, have 2-5 and the XL versions as well as 8 Complete, so will need people experienced with 6 and 7.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Tae posted:

Easiest way is to play as Dian Wei, take out everyone in the castle, rescue the two Cao's, make sure to kill everyone, then exit out. The weird thing is, you get the Shot cutscene no matter what.

The logic is that if you fail to rescue Cao Ang and Cao Anmin then Dian Wei overexerts himself and dies of his injuries, but if they're saved then they step in later in the level and he survives.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unlucky7 posted:

I honestly can't remember anything about it other than hating it so I might look up my copy and try it again.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Enallyniv posted:

The logic is that if you fail to rescue Cao Ang and Cao Anmin then Dian Wei overexerts himself and dies of his injuries, but if they're saved then they step in later in the level and he survives.

That's the stage where I realised that just having three stars doesn't mean it has three different optional objectives, but that doing its one optional objective has three different effects in the future. I dunno why they made it confusing like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unlucky7 posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

I honestly can't remember anything about it other than hating it so I might look up my copy and try it again.

I just did the first couple of missions (about as far as I ever got):

Cons:

- It looks loving boring, it's the epitome of dull, nothing but grey and brown as far as the eye can see. Everything is super slow and it feels like you're wading through molasses.

- All the characters are the same. Their flash moves differ slightly but everyone is carrying the same sword and shield. If I remember correctly later Paris uses a bow but eh, bows in Warriors games. :jerkbag: All the 'Fury' (read: musou) attacks are generic and are just 'you move faster and do more damage for a couple of seconds'.

- The stages are set out more like Sengoku Basara where it's a mostly linear path from beginning to end, only without any of the gimmicks that peppered that games levels.

- PS2 levels of enemies on screen, I think like 15 enemies plus a bunch of your guys is the most I've seen. Kills per level don't even reach the hundreds.

- No named enemies except for bosses, all the harder enemies you fight are from a generic pool of types. One of the enemy types (Slasher) is really loving annoying, I think you're supposed to parry them but....

- Random mooks are dangerous and will attack, knock you out of your combos, stop you from parrying and blocking, generally get in the way and refuse to be the combo/musou fodder they should be.

- It's buggy as gently caress, there's like a shadow bar effect underneath the subtitles and in the very first stage that got stuck on-screen the whole time. :v:

PROS:

- It tells a reasonably accurate version of the Iliad, I guess.

- Stabbing fleeing enemies in the back gets you bonus points, which never fails to amuse me.

It's just so loving DULL, it's like someone went 'You know what would be great? If Warriors games were all gritty and 'realistic', just suck all the fun out of them, thanks.' A shame too, since the Iliad is probably one of the closest works of western literature to the 'god like heroes commanding a battlefield' stuff that RotK does.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 8, 2014

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Sakurazuka posted:

I just did the first couple of missions (about as far as I ever got):

Cons:

- It looks loving boring, it's the epitome of dull, nothing but grey and brown as far as the eye can see. Everything is super slow and it feels like you're wading through molasses.

- All the characters are the same. Their flash moves differ slightly but everyone is carrying the same sword and shield. If I remember correctly later Paris uses a bow but eh, bows in Warriors games. :jerkbag: All the 'Fury' (read: musou) attacks are generic and are just 'you move faster and do more damage for a couple of seconds'.

- The stages are set out more like Sengoku Basara where it's a mostly linear path from beginning to end, only without any of the gimmicks that peppered that games levels.

- PS2 levels of enemies on screen, I think like 15 enemies plus a bunch of your guys is the most I've seen. Kills per level don't even reach the hundreds.

- No named enemies except for bosses, all the harder enemies you fight are from a generic pool of types. One of the enemy types (Slasher) is really loving annoying, I think you're supposed to parry them but....

- Random mooks are dangerous and will attack, knock you out of your combos, stop you from parrying and blocking, generally get in the way and refuse to be the combo/musou fodder they should be.

- It's buggy as gently caress, there's like a shadow bar effect underneath the subtitles and in the very first stage that got stuck on-screen the whole time. :v:

PROS:

- It tells a reasonably accurate version of the Iliad, I guess.

- Stabbing fleeing enemies in the back gets you bonus points, which never fails to amuse me.

It's just so loving DULL, it's like someone went 'You know what would be great? If Warriors games were all gritty and 'realistic', just suck all the fun out of them, thanks.' A shame too, since the Iliad is probably one of the closest works of western literature to the 'god like heroes commanding a battlefield' stuff that RotK does.

It's rather funny because if you ever go on any fan forums for Koei games, half the fans clamour for more "realism" and "less fantasy weapons" and "blood and gore". When Koei finally do make a "realistic" game it loving sucks. (The fans still apparently yell for more blood and guts and realism however)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The difference between Troy and Ken's Rage 2 is that Troy was Koei Tecmo's stab at the hip new "let's get Westerners to make our games" trend so they got their Canadian branch (who made Fatal Inertia) to make it and hey it turns out they don't know poo poo about Musou games. Ken's Rage 2 was directly after Dynasty Warriors 7, the game that changed how they should be approaching their Musou games, and they apparently learned nothing from it.

Troy is an instance of developers not knowing any better, Ken's Rage 2 is them being willfully ignorant at best.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I wouldntmind bloodpools ad bloodcsplatters though

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

gyrobot posted:

I wouldntmind bloodpools ad bloodcsplatters though

Why? What would that add? Part of the charm of the series is that it doesn't take itself seriously. Making it bloody would be a step away from that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It would kind of clash with the wacky cutscene hijinx if the hearts flying out of Daqiao's magical girl wands dismembered mooks in a spray of blood and gibs.

On the other hand, it would be pretty funny.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On that note, what does Ken's Rage 2 do that's worse than every other Musou game including apparently the first Ken's Rage game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just off the top of my head:

Story mode has more cutscenes than gameplay and they added in the lovely Fist of the North Star 2 stuff that even the original creators disowned. Scrapped the cool alternate universe stuff for the extra mode and replaced it with a boring prequel where each character shared like 75% of the same levels.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Just off the top of my head:

Story mode has more cutscenes than gameplay and they added in the lovely Fist of the North Star 2 stuff that even the original creators disowned. Scrapped the cool alternate universe stuff for the extra mode and replaced it with a boring prequel where each character shared like 75% of the same levels.

Also: replaced the neat skill tree system with a system that gives you stat-ups for killing enemies with particular attacks--you don't have to think as much about upgrading, but that takes the fun out of upgrading and turns it into more of a grind.

They also don't have the "make seven stars appear during one mission" system, too, I think. That was basically Ken's Rage 1's self-imposed challenge system, you'd get bigger and better rewards, but the bosses got insanely tougher if you made all seven stars appear during story missions, and you'd need to hit a hundred buttons in sequence without screwing up during the finishing move. But if you could pull it off, you'd feel like a badass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Ken's Rage was only average but it had a bunch of neat ideas, all they really needed to do for the sequel was speed things up, add more non-lovely characters and make the story mode a bit more interesting. They failed on all but the first while taking away a lot of the things the original game did right.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I once wrote an entire effort post in rage about why I hate Ken's Rage 2 in the Wii U thread. I really hate that loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Brony Hunter posted:

It's rather funny because if you ever go on any fan forums for Koei games, half the fans clamour for more "realism" and "less fantasy weapons" and "blood and gore". When Koei finally do make a "realistic" game it loving sucks. (The fans still apparently yell for more blood and guts and realism however)

I know I've argued for that years ago, but on reflection it was a cackhanded way of trying to argue for greater depth of consequences and seriousness because what I wanted was DW battles but with more tactical concerns (also DW with Bushido Blade's damage system :v:). These days I'd still like seeing something like that, but I'm perfectly happy with my absurd slaughtering of thousands with rocket spears and spiky yo-yos and a gatling gun.