Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah the Ric Flair thing in WCW befuddles me even now and no one seems to have a straight answer.

Certain guys disliked Flair because he has what they perceive to be a very formulaic style, which is the pot calling the kettle black, especially in WCW, and doubly so when that accusation is coming out of people like Nash and other guys who don't give two shits about workrate anyway. And this is sort of where the average wrestler's self-importance shines through. Every loving wrestler, from Bret/Benoit/Austin on down, works a routine shtick in the ring, several spots that they do right in a row. Even complicated PPV matches use the routines as a baseline in almost all cases, at least on WWE/WCW shows. That's just what's done. If you were working in Stampede Wrestling and were really good, you probably did a different match every night, but that's about it.

I can only guess that Ric just made the wrong friends in WCW. He was generally hugely over everywhere, no matter how many schemes they came up with to bury him. He could make them all sorts of money and was no less qualified to headline shows than just about anyone in the NWO. I guess the thought was that there were not even spots to around, so gently caress Ric and the horsemen, who were a lot of the major competition for those spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I guess the thought was that there were not even spots to around, so gently caress Ric and the horsemen, who were a lot of the major competition for those spots.

This kind of makes me wonder if WCW should have gone with that idea from around the time of the first Souled Out PPV, where they were going to do a brand split into NWO and WCW shows. I mean yeah the NWO show would have been as dogshit as Souled Out was, but you would at least have the opportunity to (in an ideal situation) spread everyone around enough so one group doesn't have to keep everyone else down to keep their spot.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

Eric had a $3 Fedex coupon.
I thought he spent that on the empty envelope they sent to Jericho?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Dario the Wop posted:

Isn't that why Elizabeth ended up quitting?
That plus Russo had a thing for her and apparently wanted her to participate in a bra and panties match.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anyone have the picture of that awesome unmade Sting Starrcade '97 shirt from the blog of that artist who did their merchandise?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Didn't Bischoff fire Syxx to 'send a message to the locker room'? Waltman was off injured and I can't recall any reason being given for his firing.
Eric says he did it because Waltman's agent tried to renegotiate months after agreeing to, but not signing, a new contract. Someone lost to Eric in a contract negotiation!

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Yeah the Ric Flair thing in WCW befuddles me even now and no one seems to have a straight answer.

I think in Bischoff's eyes Flair represented the Rasslin' and NWA of the past, and Bischoff wanted to be cool and cutting edge. None of the old-school style solid color trunks grapplers from the NWA days really fared that well in the nWo era, and the ones that did OK were totally repackaged. This is all just speculation on my part based on Bischoff's personality.

*Edit* Of course, I'm not including new guys that came on the scene like Goldberg here.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 7, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let's not get stuck in the past, let's remember tonight is about the future of wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8yP8BW_Vc

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

Let's not get stuck in the past, let's remember tonight is about the future of wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8yP8BW_Vc

My god...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dario the Wop posted:

WCW put out an ad. Midajah was a bodybuilder and model, as were the other four girls they brought in. One of them, Kim Kanner, quit after they wanted her to report to the Power Plant to wrestle.

Isn't that why Elizabeth ended up quitting?
Russo actually quit briefly in 2000 because he was mad at Luger and Elizabeth--Luger for not working with Chuck Palumbo, and Elizabeth for exercising her right to not wrestle and also refusing to do skits that would have her in her underwear. He had written them off TV and planned not to use them, but management wanted to bring them back.

To be fair, they were paying Elizabeth too much money to be a valet.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Is there a particular reason they treated Flair like such poo poo when they weren't actively neglecting him, or was it just the general "WWF guys are better than our guys" attitude at its peak?

Certain guys disliked Flair because he has what they perceive to be a very formulaic style, which is the pot calling the kettle black, especially in WCW, and doubly so when that accusation is coming out of people like Nash and other guys who don't give two shits about workrate anyway. And this is sort of where the average wrestler's self-importance shines through. Every loving wrestler, from Bret/Benoit/Austin on down, works a routine shtick in the ring, several spots that they do right in a row. Even complicated PPV matches use the routines as a baseline in almost all cases, at least on WWE/WCW shows. That's just what's done. If you were working in Stampede Wrestling and were really good, you probably did a different match every night, but that's about it.
It wouldn't surprise me if guys hated his style because he didn't have to be huge, or an acrobat, or a masochist to get himself over purely on his ring work.

Flair's fortunes in WCW rose and fell several times over many years, so it wasn't just about problems with one administration. Of course, the common factor in all your failed relationships is you, so it wouldn't surprise me if his own personality issues played a part. But Flair is a guy who can get himself over anywhere, and he's not a company man. Promoters hate this. On the one hand, when they have a white-hot star they tend to just stay the course as if things are never going to change. On the other hand, they naturally resist relying on the talent and wish that the company was a bigger draw than any one star. You can see it in the WWE now.

Flair got bumped out of the head booking position even though he was booking great, successful shows because corporate felt he wasn't turning business around fast enough, and because he wouldn't derail his plan to pass the title to Sting in favour of Lex Luger.

Jim Herd wanted Flair out because he thought Flair was too old and too expensive.

Bill Watts brought Flair back because fans were literally crying out for him, and reruns of his matches were doing better ratings than the current product.

He started out on good terms with Bischoff, I believe, because he was instrumental in getting Hogan into the company. I think the problem there was not so much personal as it was that Flair had come to embody WCW, and Bischoff wrote the nWo vs. WCW angles like a little kid writing his favourite comic book, with his team winning all the time. Under Bischoff's reign he was basically a victim of his own success, because his drawing power scared Nash and Hogan, who were tight with Bischoff and had creative control.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I was a teenager at the time and thought the New Blood was super cool, so I think I was 100% Vince Russo's target audience.

Same here, and I figured the New Blood/Millionaire's Club angle was supposed to cater to me, but it totally missed the point. Then again, it could had been a layered angle, New Blood for smarks, Millionaire's Club for marks, which is stupid, but not too stupid for Russo.

I had to watch WCW, I was dependent on Croatian cable TV, which was shady and unorganized at the time, your cable provider basically gave you a selection of European satellite TV channels, and it was a matter of luck what you'd get. In late '99 I was left without a channel where I could follow the WWF on a regular basis, and after some time, around the summer of 2000 I guess, I just stopped watching wrestling, because WCW was all I had left and it was terrible at the time. I'm still catching up with all the stuff I missed, at least I got that now.

Recently I watched a couple of Nitros from '97, and then skipped to 2000 just to see the difference, and the 2000 version of Nitro is an incredible clusterfuck. I couldn't finish one episode, even though I was ready to analyze every little thing that's wrong about it, while the '97 Nitros, I watched a couple of those in a row. Two totally different shows.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, how is Ric Flair not a company man? He stuck with Jim Crockett/WCW for 26 years and constantly put JCP, Jim and David Crocket, etc over in every NWA promo he ever did. The only reason he even left WCW for a couple years is because he was fired for not taking a paycut, shaving his head and changing his name to "Spartacus".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe back then, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a company man during his 2001-2008 & 2012-now WWE runs, and his 2010-2012 TNA run. He's become a full-blown alcoholic that can't be trusted on the mic in front of a live camera anymore. He's millions of dollars in debt, which makes things very difficult for his employers, like the several times Vince paid his state and federal back taxes to the tune of $100,000+ to keep him out of jail. He seems to regularly be the plaintiff or the defendant in assault and domestic abuse cases with any of the three wives he's had over the last ten years, as well as random people. And he's been involved with incidents like the "Plain Ride from Hell" and "Orlando Jordan's Boyfriend"

I'm sure most people have seen this, but it's relevant: Grantland - The Wrestler in Real Life: Ric Flair's long, steady decline

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just because he wasn't in WWE and TNA (who would be a company man there morons that's who) doesn't mean he wasn't the poster boy for wrestling company men for three decades prior.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't mean that as a knock, just that he didn't hang around in a company regardless of his feuds, position on the card, or the direction they were taking his gimmick, at least not to the same extent as, for example, the Undertaker. When he's booking or at a main event level, he also seems to be more proactive in trying to exercise creative control, unlike, say, John Cena. He left the WWF on good terms because he had dropped to the midcard and WCW offered him lots of money to come back with great fanfare, and he did the job on the way out like a pro.

He stuck with WCW through some truly awful and humiliating angles under Russo's direction--my SWAG is that for a wrestler still performing at his age, he was being paid good money to work stupid skits and few matches, sit at home for awhile, and come back when they didn't know what else to do.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I wonder how Flair's jump to WWF back in the early 90s would have gone over if PSP was around back then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Paulocaust posted:

Just because he wasn't in WWE and TNA (who would be a company man there morons that's who) doesn't mean he wasn't the poster boy for wrestling company men for three decades prior.

Did you happen to ignore the very first sentence of my post?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did you happen to ignore the very first sentence of my post?

No moron I ignored the whole thing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, you're just adorable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Paulocaust posted:

Wait, how is Ric Flair not a company man? He stuck with Jim Crockett/WCW for 26 years and constantly put JCP, Jim and David Crocket, etc over in every NWA promo he ever did. The only reason he even left WCW for a couple years is because he was fired for not taking a paycut, shaving his head and changing his name to "Spartacus".

The Spartacus thing was earlier, the 1991 firing was over pay and dropping the belt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This day in WCW History: The Sturgis Screwjob happened and allowed Hollywood "Scum" Hogan to regain the WCW title from "The Total Package" Lex Luger.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 10, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Maybe back then, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a company man during his 2001-2008 & 2012-now WWE runs, and his 2010-2012 TNA run. He's become a full-blown alcoholic that can't be trusted on the mic in front of a live camera anymore. He's millions of dollars in debt, which makes things very difficult for his employers, like the several times Vince paid his state and federal back taxes to the tune of $100,000+ to keep him out of jail. He seems to regularly be the plaintiff or the defendant in assault and domestic abuse cases with any of the three wives he's had over the last ten years, as well as random people. And he's been involved with incidents like the "Plain Ride from Hell" and "Orlando Jordan's Boyfriend"

I'm sure most people have seen this, but it's relevant: Grantland - The Wrestler in Real Life: Ric Flair's long, steady decline

Jesus, that's a depressing read.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In just over an hour it is BUFF BAGWELL ON QVC!

The video is uploaded, it is processed, it works in sync, it will happen!

8 PM!

Need a reason to watch? Buff blows this moment from the first one out of the water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wEjoi61g04

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have nothing to say to that except Buff is the stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7awnRAdbPk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have nothing to say to that except Buff is the stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7awnRAdbPk

Are you able to get enough?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It's Hollywood "SCUM" Hogan's birthday today, anyone find the Hogan raft yet? It would be a present to us all.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Flair basically said in his autobiography that once he entered his teenage years, he more or less WAS Ric Flair. The man simply could not separate himself from the gimmick. He wanted life to be nothing but endless partying and indulgence. You see the end result.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cornwind Evil posted:

Flair basically said in his autobiography that once he entered his teenage years, he more or less WAS Ric Flair. The man simply could not separate himself from the gimmick. He wanted life to be nothing but endless partying and indulgence. You see the end result.
Dude survived a plane crash and decided that money didn't matter and that having a good time is all there is to life.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

LividLiquid posted:

Dude survived a plane crash and decided that money didn't matter and that having a good time is all there is to life.

Yeah, it all worked out great for him, such a mindset.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, hes outlived how many of his peers?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

MassRafTer posted:

Need a reason to watch? Buff blows this moment from the first one out of the water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wEjoi61g04

What is he even saying? "My mom was caramelanan and was kinda built for this"?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I don't think he was really expecting to get as far in life as he has. It's the mindset of someone who thinks that they're not going to make it past 40, and then when you do it's just one bad decision after another. That Grantland piece on his affairs is sobering.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

What is he even saying? "My mom was caramelanan and was kinda built for this"?
Carol Merrill was a model from a game show.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ric Flair has lived an incredible life and I'm sure the only thing he wishes he could change is his son dying. The guy lived the dream.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paulocaust posted:

Ric Flair has lived an incredible life and I'm sure the only thing he wishes he could change is his son dying. The guy lived the dream.
Are seventeen divorces part of the dream?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Absolutely

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Endorph posted:

Are seventeen divorces part of the dream?

Don't divorce shame

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

DrVenkman posted:

That Grantland piece on his affairs is sobering.

maybe he should watch it sometime

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sk posted:

maybe he should watch it sometime

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM:

WCW HALLOWEEN HAVOC 97!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAIN EVENT:

AGE IN A CAGE I

"Hollywood" "Hulk" Hogan (star of Assault on Devil's Island)

VS

"THE ICON" "Rowdy" "Roddy" Piper (star of The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens)

NOT MAIN EVENT BUT THE MATCH OF MATCHES

Mask vs Title

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Eddy Guerrero

LAS VEGAS DEATH MATCH

Diamond Dallas Page

vs

Macho Man Randy Savage

LARRY LEGEND PROMOTES FAIRNESS

The Total Package Lex Luger

vs

Scott Hall

ALSO

Ultimo Dragon vs Yuji Nagata

IN A MATCH THAT LASTS 10 MINUTES
Disco Infero vs Jackie

Chris Jericho vs Gedo

Alex Wright vs Mongo McMichael

AND SO MUCH MORE!!!!

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Join us at 7:30 for Cowboy Who? and 8 PM FOR HAVOC!

If you spend just 999 you can watch on the Network and chat with us!