Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SlapActionJackson posted:

Then have I got a deal for you! Mail me $833.33 every month, and I'll send you $10k every year.

Can we save time and you just mail me a 4 cents per year?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SlapActionJackson posted:

Then have I got a deal for you! Mail me $833.33 every month, and I'll send you $10k every year.

Forget this putz, I'll give you $5k for 12 low payments of $499.99!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

LogisticEarth posted:

While obviously it gets misinterpreted, overtime does end up getting taxed at the earner's top marginal rate. So as you work more overtime, your hourly compensation goes down due to taxation. Of course, it will never go negative, which is what some people think. "I got kicked into a higher tax bracket! :bahgawd:

But when you get paid time and a half for overtime, your take home pay won't always be 150% of your normal wage. This is even more important to keep in mind when you get paid straight-time overtime. In that case you can easily end up with less pay per hour worked.

So there is a grain of truth to the idea of an OT "sweet spot".

I see what you're saying but this is a really stupid way to look at it. You will never ever take home less money by working more. Period. Putting it in terms of hourly wages just muddies the issue. Talking about 1x pay overtime confuses things even more because that doesn't exist in the US, that's just called regular work hours.

People are very very stupid when it comes to money and taxes so its worth it to be very clear and not bring up a technicality like that. The important thing is take home pay, which can only increase when you work more (barring a few edge cases)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Magic Underwear posted:

I see what you're saying but this is a really stupid way to look at it. You will never ever take home less money by working more. Period. Putting it in terms of hourly wages just muddies the issue. Talking about 1x pay overtime confuses things even more because that doesn't exist in the US, that's just called regular work hours.

People are very very stupid when it comes to money and taxes so its worth it to be very clear and not bring up a technicality like that. The important thing is take home pay, which can only increase when you work more (barring a few edge cases)

Pretty much this.

A bunch of coworkers were calling me an idiot for letting my sick time expire last year instead of using it, because even though I get paid out for it, the sick time is :siren::siren::siren: Taxed at a higher rate :siren::siren::siren:.

I don't care if it's taxed at a higher rate. At the end of the year, I still walked away with more money than if I burned it. Oh boo hoo I didn't make the most efficient use of my hours, whatever shall I do with this nice fat check that I have and you don't.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Even though I'm making an extra 50% over my normal base pay, it's not worth it because I must pay an extra 3% in taxes on those marginal earnings! :qq:

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

FrozenVent posted:

We all got withheld at (Current paycheck) * 24, but only worked, at most, 15 pay periods. While your check wouldn't go up as fast after about 40 hours of OT...

Goddamn I miss those 10k tax returns though.

Another person who's bad with money. 10k is a lot of money to loan the government interest-free. If you're a seasonal worker, you just up your exemptions so that the actually proper amount gets withheld.

ChipNDip fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 7, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are an extremely few, legitimate reasons to not want to be paid more, particularly for the very poor, who can suddenly find themselves cut off from benefits if they make a dollar more than the cutoff for, e.g. Medicare.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

because even though I get paid out for it, the sick time is...

Hear that noise? It's the sound of me hating you. :v:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
My brother-in-law recently claimed that you end up making less if you work too much overtime. I asked him why he thought that was, and he of course mentioned the phrase "tax bracket" in his retort, and I knew he was beyond help unless I decided to hold a 10 minute lesson on how taxation works.

I wish I had of now, but sometimes you just have to let people be stupid/ignorant.

fake edit: Also, yes....where do you live/work where you get paid out for sick time?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It should take like a minute to explain marginal tax rates even if the person can barely fog a mirror. 30 seconds if they have half a brain.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

My brother-in-law recently claimed that you end up making less if you work too much overtime. I asked him why he thought that was, and he of course mentioned the phrase "tax bracket" in his retort, and I knew he was beyond help unless I decided to hold a 10 minute lesson on how taxation works.

I wish I had of now, but sometimes you just have to let people be stupid/ignorant.

fake edit: Also, yes....where do you live/work where you get paid out for sick time?

Don't bother trying to educate family. I just had a big fight with my father in law on how he's managing his nest egg. He is 70 and retired with only income coming in from his social security. He decided that he needs 85% of retirement accounts in stocks index funds with only 15% in bonds. I tried to explain to him that at his age, he needs to preserve capital and not try to maximize gains with increasing risk. Nope, won't listen. He believe that there is no market correction coming and that even if it did, the government would step in and stop it. :psyduck:

I then asked him a simple mathematics question if that you had 100k and lost 50%. What would be rate of return to return back to that original 100k. Of course, like most people, he answered 50%. :doh:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Pretty much this.

A bunch of coworkers were calling me an idiot for letting my sick time expire last year instead of using it, because even though I get paid out for it, the sick time is :siren::siren::siren: Taxed at a higher rate :siren::siren::siren:.

I wish I could do that. I have 160 hours of sick banked up.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Time to play some hooky.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Magic Underwear posted:

It's not so much about getting more overall pay, but balancing your free time versus more overtime. It's a marginal situation, but there are people that are affected by it. The guys I've heard complain about it the most are usually working 60-80 hour weeks doing unpleasant work, and not always by their choice. At some point during the tax year the extra time bumps their gross pay into the next tax bracket, and they're making less per hour. Yeah, money is fungible and beep-boop-maximize-income but after a certain point of working your rear end off and having your expenses covered, you'd rather have the time at home then the extra cash. Having a mild degree of diminishing returns on your OT affects that point. Again, it's not a woe-is-me situation, but just the kernel of truth behind the "OT sweet spot" idea.

As for straight-time overtime, it does exist in the US, although it's not explicitly "overtime". I'm classified as hourly exempt, and get straight pay for each billable hour over 40. But I'm also guaranteed 40 hours pay each week, and for that and other reasons am exempted from FLSA overtime standards. It's fairly common in my industry.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Happens to me in Australia, the company gives you the choice to cash out anything over the legal 10 day minimum usually first week of December just in time for Christmas.

I also cash out holidays every now and then too since I'm boring and never take time off. Here it's required by law to provide 4 weeks of paid leave that accumulates indefinitely, and as long as both parties agree, can be cashed out instead. It's also nice when changing jobs since it all has to be cashed out, I got about 350 hours cashed out last time I changed jobs which was handy to pay for the moving expenses while moving 300km away.

EDIT: Although, cashing out the holidays is probably bad with money since if I use them I get a 15% (or somewhere around that) "Leave Loading" on top of my regular pay, but they don't pay the extra 15% if you cash it.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2014

Mantle
May 15, 2004

lostleaf posted:

Don't bother trying to educate family. I just had a big fight with my father in law on how he's managing his nest egg. He is 70 and retired with only income coming in from his social security. He decided that he needs 85% of retirement accounts in stocks index funds with only 15% in bonds. I tried to explain to him that at his age, he needs to preserve capital and not try to maximize gains with increasing risk. Nope, won't listen.

A lot of baby boomers are like this, including my parents. They all refuse to face the reality of their financial situation-- they didn't actually save enough money to have the life/retirement they wanted. So they engage in generational warfare by raising the public pension eligibility age and externalize the environmental consequences of resource extraction to the future generations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ChipNDip posted:

Another person who's bad with money. 10k is a lot of money to loan the government interest-free. If you're a seasonal worker, you just up your exemptions so that the actually proper amount gets withheld.

Yes and no. Since we were essentially on call, and susceptible to get laid off for any silly reason, it was really hard to estimate your income. It'd swing from 65k one year to 90k the next. And since I got laid off three four times a year, I'd have to refill those withholding forms every years... Sometimes for multiple employers in different provinces.

Oh and if we got assigned to a specific job, 75% of our income on those days was tax exempt in Quebec (we got paid in another province).

So while it wasn't the best possible use of my money, it was safe. Plus the return usually came in a period where I wouldn't have worked in a few months.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

CitizenKain posted:

I wish I could do that. I have 160 hours of sick banked up.

Nooooo if your pancreas fails you (note: one of several hundred fun surprises your body may spring on you at any moment!) and you need to spend a month in a medically induced coma and then three more months out of the office recuperating you will be super happy you can just bleed off your accumulated sick days instead of having to take unpaid FMLA, or worse, quit your job.

If your workplace allows it, banking sick time is a very pro choice. You can always get the cash when you leave the job.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LogisticEarth posted:

It's not so much about getting more overall pay, but balancing your free time versus more overtime. It's a marginal situation, but there are people that are affected by it. The guys I've heard complain about it the most are usually working 60-80 hour weeks doing unpleasant work, and not always by their choice. At some point during the tax year the extra time bumps their gross pay into the next tax bracket, and they're making less per hour. Yeah, money is fungible and beep-boop-maximize-income but after a certain point of working your rear end off and having your expenses covered, you'd rather have the time at home then the extra cash. Having a mild degree of diminishing returns on your OT affects that point. Again, it's not a woe-is-me situation, but just the kernel of truth behind the "OT sweet spot" idea.

As for straight-time overtime, it does exist in the US, although it's not explicitly "overtime". I'm classified as hourly exempt, and get straight pay for each billable hour over 40. But I'm also guaranteed 40 hours pay each week, and for that and other reasons am exempted from FLSA overtime standards. It's fairly common in my industry.

That's not just for overtime neither. At my job I find that the people that are the happiest and most chilled (i.e not hating poo poo) are the people working 75-85%. I wouldn't want to work 100% in that job. It's just not worth it. For that job, 75-85% seems to be the sweet spot to not get burnt out, while still taking home enough to live on.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 7, 2014

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

EDIT: Although, cashing out the holidays is probably bad with money since if I use them I get a 15% (or somewhere around that) "Leave Loading" on top of my regular pay, but they don't pay the extra 15% if you cash it.
That's really interesting because I thought leave loading was paid on acquired leave not taken leave. Check your EBA wording.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

That's really interesting because I thought leave loading was paid on acquired leave not taken leave. Check your EBA wording.

Pretty sure that was the case last time I did it, it makes sense though since the 15% is supposed to cover the lost chance at overtime while you're away, so if you're cashing it out you're not going to lose that chance at overtime.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's not just for overtime neither. At my job I find that the people that are the happiest and most chilled (i.e not hating poo poo) are the people working 75-85%. I wouldn't want to work 100% in that job. It's just not worth it. For that job, 75-85% seems to be the sweet spot to not get burnt out, while still taking home enough to live on.

When you say %, are you using an estimate of effort or some percentage of available hours worked or what?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

LogisticEarth posted:

This is one of the reasons I didn't bother trying to educate my brother-in-law on the OT situation. I didn't want to come off as the "beep-boop-maximize-income" type - at least not more so than I already do anyway. If he wants to work OT for time-in-lieu, then fine.

But then again, they also live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories...a place people go so that they can make good money compared to other places in Canada. So if they're not there to maximize their income why the gently caress are they there?! Oh, the horrors...

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

NancyPants posted:

When you say %, are you using an estimate of effort or some percentage of available hours worked or what?

A lot of places talk about percentages in terms of percent of a 40 hour standard work week. What's really hard for me to comprehend (without looking at a desk calendar) is when people tell me that something is happening in calendar week 45 or whatever.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

NancyPants posted:

75-85% of the amount of hours you'd work if you were working full time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Rick Rickshaw posted:

This is one of the reasons I didn't bother trying to educate my brother-in-law on the OT situation. I didn't want to come off as the "beep-boop-maximize-income" type - at least not more so than I already do anyway. If he wants to work OT for time-in-lieu, then fine.

But then again, they also live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories...a place people go so that they can make good money compared to other places in Canada. So if they're not there to maximize their income why the gently caress are they there?! Oh, the horrors...

I've wanted to move to Whitehorse for a few years now. My kinda weather!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

75-85% of the amount of hours you'd work if you were working full time.

That's what I thought you meant. I work 90%.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

pig slut lisa posted:

Nooooo if your pancreas fails you (note: one of several hundred fun surprises your body may spring on you at any moment!) and you need to spend a month in a medically induced coma and then three more months out of the office recuperating you will be super happy you can just bleed off your accumulated sick days instead of having to take unpaid FMLA, or worse, quit your job.

If your workplace allows it, banking sick time is a very pro choice. You can always get the cash when you leave the job.

Any long term illness I would go on short term disability if I'm going to be gone for 2 or more weeks. They'd drain the sick time until then however.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm really surprised people in the US get paid out for their sick time anywhere. I work for regional government in WA and we get paid out 25% of our sick time at quitting time so its much more profitable to just use it for mental health days or whatever.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I work for the DC Gov, and because I was hired after 86 (I started in 06)--Sick time cannot be cashed out (they made this change after separating their pay scale/schedule from the federal one). I also can only carry over 240 hours of sick time, then it becomes use or lose. I have about 200 hours of sick time. It is far wiser to use sick time than bank it once you have a decent base amount to cover any accidents or extended sick time. I also rarely take my vacation time, so I have about 200 hours of that too (also can only carry over/accrue 240 hours). Accrued vacation time is cashed out upon separation.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

All ya'll with hundreds of hours of banked vacation/sick time need to take some time off. Working that much with no break ain't good for you. Seriously, take 2+ weeks and do something fun and totally disconnect. It's good for your body, mind, and soul.

Have some more reddit:

Losing my job in a week sole provider no savings posted:

The title says it all. I'm losing my job in a week for non-performance reasons and they gave me two weeks notice.
I have two full paychecks coming in (one on the 18th, one on the 22nd) which should amount to about $8.2k. My wife and I have approximately $12k in credit card debt. Rent is $1.7k/month and the combined car payments are $1.6k/month. I have deferred car payments on both cars for two months, which should give me enough time to find something. Both the credit cards and the car loans carry double digit APRs.
I should be able to bounce back and pick up something that pays comparably without an issue, the question is how best to stretch ~$8k. Rent, utilities, etc., add up to around $2.1k per month and rent ($1.7k) has already been paid for the month of August. Now that you have some context, my question is:
Should we pay down the credit cards with these checks and then use the credit cards to pay the bills we absolutely have to pay, in order to not accrue unnecessary interest during this time?
OR
Should we forget about the credit cards (currently accruing interest above their max credit limits) and hold onto every dollar we can, only paying for what's absolutely necessary?
Any other suggestions outside the context of this question would be appreciated also.
EDIT#1: Formatting.
EDIT #2: I get it, the car payments are expensive and we're looking into refinancing options. We can't go without two cars, have no savings, no liquid, no assets and credit scores below 650. We literally can't turn a car in we're upside down on and go get another one. It's not an option. Even if we turned in both cars and had no car payments, we're dead in the water after 2.5-3.0 months. The cars are not the answer.

Other tidbits from the comments/responses: dude has been working a contract at 160k/yr for 6 month that was like totally for sure going to last years and got into an uber mountain of debt with literally zero savings. No cash, no 401k, no other investments, nothing.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I feel like people clinging to their car debt is a constantly reoccurring theme in these types of stories. WE HAD TO BUY A $40,000 CAR YOU DON'T GET IT. I DON'T WORK ON CARS. In this case it sounds like 2 $40,000 cars.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Seriously, that is just insane. $1600/month in car payments.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How do you go from making 160k/yr to "Dude, consider bankruptcy" is a month :psyduck:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
And I thought my $308/month car payment was as bad as it could get :stare:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bugamol posted:

I feel like people clinging to their car debt is a constantly reoccurring theme in these types of stories. WE HAD TO BUY A $40,000 CAR YOU DON'T GET IT. I DON'T WORK ON CARS. In this case it sounds like 2 $40,000 cars.

One of the follow up comments from the dude:

quote:

The plan is to refinance one with a lower APR (>9.9%) and monthly payment (from $920 down to $700) and to try to refinance the other from $664@19%APR to something more reasonable.

Just :lol: I can't even...

HonorableTB posted:

And I thought my $308/month car payment was as bad as it could get :stare:

If it makes you feel any better I think a $300-400/mo car payment is reasonable if you make a good salary and budget accordingly. And also assuming it's at a reasonable interest rate (< 4%) on a good car that you'll keep for a while. And you won't just trade it in on a new $300-400/mo payment once it's paid off (the trap dumb people fall into).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 7, 2014

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
It's even better.

quote:

Upside down on both, but not by much, so unfortunately - no. We may be able to refinance one or both and get it down to something more reasonable. As I said in a previous reply, we had to get something else because we donated a vehicle to family.

Had to get a new car because we gave ours away!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If he's unemployed, why the gently caress does he need a car

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

FrozenVent posted:

How do you go from making 160k/yr to "Dude, consider bankruptcy" is a month :psyduck:

Well 160k/year for 6 months, probably better expressed as ~13k/month given that. Still a lot but yeah, presumably his previous contract was not that large. (Not that this guy was going to save anything regardless - I just think the expensive contract should be thought of as more of a windfall than a salary.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

When you're working on contract, you can't really afford to see everything as a windfall. You have expenses just like everybody else.

Of course, when I worked contract, I'd keep two months of expenses in chequing (To be mostly transferred to long term savings when the next contract came along) and six months in emergency fund type savings.

• Locked thread