Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Madurai posted:

Rafale would be the pick if the RCN still had a carrier, but otherwise, there's a reason it's not getting many export sales.

This is one very good reason:

It's just so pretty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Looks like I'm a little late to the Phantom party, but apparently one of the last USAF-operated F-4's stopped over on base here a few days ago. Public affairs posted a bunch of pics, including these:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jonny Nox posted:

Rafales are poo poo and cant even out climb or turn a Eurofighter.
Look into the leaked Swiss evaluations, as well as the Dutch evaluations, or the MMRCA winner. Air Forces who actually tested and compared both Rafale and Typhoon always favored the former.

Madurai posted:

Rafale would be the pick if the RCN still had a carrier, but otherwise, there's a reason it's not getting many export sales.

General Petraeus makes sure to phone every potential export market to tell them that it's yesterday's technology.

Phy posted:

Don't have to repaint the plane to have signage primarily en francais.

It's a plane made to NATO standard meaning that everything inside is in English.

Regardless, the idea that Washington would tolerate Canada buying a French plane instead of the F-35 is ridiculous. It'll be rejected, possibly using the Mistral deal as a pretext.

Canada snubbing the F-35 to buy a non-American plane instead would lead to so many blown gaskets in the Pentagon it'd be interpreted as an act of terrorism.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Flying single engine up in the Arctic is something I would never want to try and it amazes me that Canadian military top brass have zero issue with this.

...then again I saw a Mooney M20 flying up in one of the northern communities so what the hell do I know

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Freshwater Louie posted:

Flying single engine up in the Arctic is something I would never want to try and it amazes me that Canadian military top brass have zero issue with this.

...then again I saw a Mooney M20 flying up in one of the northern communities so what the hell do I know

I'm with you, I like to have twice as many engines when things are looking cold and frigid down below.

The Canadians seem to subscribe to the "2 engines means another engine to go to bits" philosophy, and it serves them well. Cessna Caravans and Skylanes do a lot of work in the great white north.

While i'm not sure you could pay me to get in one above polar bear country, LifeMed Alaska uses single engine Aerospatiale AS350s single, belt driven, non-redundant hydraulic systems. Nope, nope, also nope.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

A Melted Tarp posted:

While i'm not sure you could pay me to get in one above polar bear country, LifeMed Alaska uses single engine Aerospatiale AS350s single, belt driven, non-redundant hydraulic systems. Nope, nope, also nope.

There is no drat way on God's green frozen earth that I'd want to be cruising out in the middle of nowhere like that in an AStar.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

Why should Quebec care about the Rafale? It's a French plane that's produced in France, it's no different to them than an American plane made in the U.S. or a Swedish plane made in Sweden. I'm sure it's a fine airplane that we'd be better off buying than the F-35, but the suggestion that it would have anything to do with an imaginary Quebec-France cultural connection is laughable.

Besides,the clear choice is to throw all our resources behind the 'Beaverworks' cargo-cult.

Vive le Québec libre, that's why. No it doesn't add any jobs to Quebec or anything but it's a token nod to "oh, yes, right, our government may be a bunch of fat old anglos but we totally recognize Quebec's French heritage, look, we have a good relationship with France, we're just as much part of la Francophonie as we are the Commonwealth" etc etc.

I don't think there's any political reason to do that now that the Bloc has self-destructed, though. Except that the Rafale is every possible way a better airplane than the F-35, you know.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hot Vixen-on-Vixen action:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

A Melted Tarp posted:

The Canadians seem to subscribe to the "2 engines means another engine to go to bits" philosophy, and it serves them well. Cessna Caravans and Skylanes do a lot of work in the great white north.

I cringe whenever I see a Caravan operating up in the Arctic during spring or fall. have fun staying aloft in anything more than trace icing you weirdos

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sagebrush posted:

Vive le Québec libre, that's why. No it doesn't add any jobs to Quebec or anything but it's a token nod to "oh, yes, right, our government may be a bunch of fat old anglos but we totally recognize Quebec's French heritage, look, we have a good relationship with France, we're just as much part of la Francophonie as we are the Commonwealth" etc etc.

I don't think there's any political reason to do that now that the Bloc has self-destructed, though. Except that the Rafale is every possible way a better airplane than the F-35, you know.

That's completely ridiculous. You are vastly overestimating the importance of modern day France in Quebec culture and politics.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I had my first and only engine shutdown on a sortie over the Bering Strait. Granted, the E-3 has four and flies fine on 3, I was still like, "THIS WOULD BE A LOVELY TIME TO HEAD HOME."

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Anyone have a good source of Streak Eagle pictures?

Everything I'm finding are 1/32 scale model pictures.

"F-15 Streak Eagle (AF Ser. No.72-0119)

https://www.boeing.com/boeing/history/mdc/eagle.page

"Between Jan. 16 and Feb. 1, 1975, an F-15A nicknamed "Streak Eagle" broke eight time-to-climb world records. It reached an altitude of 98,425 feet just 3 minutes 27.8 seconds from brake release at takeoff and coasted to nearly 103,000 feet before descending"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pkells posted:

Looks like I'm a little late to the Phantom party, but apparently one of the last USAF-operated F-4's stopped over on base here a few days ago. Public affairs posted a bunch of pics, including these:

I absolutely love that Tyndall keeps that bird painted all purty.

In early 2005 right after I got there, I was parked in the car facing the flightline. I saw that F-4 take off...followed by a 4-ship of F-15s, followed by a pair of F-22s. Almost fifty loving years of kicking rear end, in a matter of seconds.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
So somebody on Reddit's /r/aviation (of all places) pointed out a couple cool waypoints around Portland. Among them, HIPSTR and WIDMR. Who gets to name these, and what are some of the other great ones around?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't know if they're still there, but there were ICEMN and MAVRK near Navy Corpus for a while.

I assume some FAA airspace guy is responsible.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ctishman posted:

So somebody on Reddit's /r/aviation (of all places) pointed out a couple cool waypoints around Portland. Among them, HIPSTR and WIDMR. Who gets to name these, and what are some of the other great ones around?

Employees within the Air Traffic Organization usually. Often controllers, ATC managers, or regional staff.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't know if they're still there, but there were ICEMN and MAVRK near Navy Corpus for a while.

MAVRK is on the Laughling One Departure out of Laughling AFB, KDLF.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 7, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ctishman posted:

There's one near palm springs named MORON.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Sagebrush posted:

Quebec has had no special love for France since the moment the British sent them packing, and even before that they had a distinctly Canadien identity. In the war of 1812 the Americans thought Quebec would welcome them with open arms due to a common struggle against British oppression. They were wrong. During the first world war the conscription crisis was driven by the fact that Quebec felt entirely removed from the conflict and didn't fancy being forced to fight for Britain or France. The idea that they give one single poo poo about France nowadays is just completely wrong.

It's a bit of a derail, but Quebec issues have been more at the front of my mind since I've been living here for the past two years. Anglophone attitudes towards the entire province are far worse than anything Quebec could do themselves.

The Rafale is still the better plane, though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
We named our orbits DICKTREE 1 and DICKTREE 2 during a multi-nation exercise based out of Guam.

Andersen AB has a dick tree that a lot of the crews took their group photos in front of.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Duke Chin posted:

There is no drat way on God's green frozen earth that I'd want to be cruising out in the middle of nowhere like that in an AStar.

no you don't

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

That crash site is within walking distance of my house. There have been multiple crashes up there and they're almost entirely due to weather. There are probably 150 AStar flights over my house, on average, every day in the summer. Every once in a while you're going to have an accident, and honestly the fact that nobody has died in an AStar when it has happened (here) would sell me on them more.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A Handed Missus posted:

I thought the whole point of the B-17 was to fit as many 50 cals as possible on a plane, but it looks pretty smooth if you remove the guns and add an extra engine

Or you can be like the Russians, look at the B-17, and say "is better with jet engine!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-14 (not a spot-on airframe copy, but close enough that there was obviously some influence)

slidebite posted:

The only thing more pathetic than Westjet butchering of French are Canadians that just can't let the loving arrow go already.

The Canadians really dodged a bullet, seeing as the Arrow was supposed to use the late 50s/early 60s-era Sparrow II as its main missile armament. The Bomarcs seriously would've had more of a success rate given the operational history of them during the Vietnam War, where pilots frequently would launch *two* of the loving things against a single target because they were horrendously prone to just dropping from the recessed rails without an engine ignition.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 7, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or you can be like the Russians, look at the B-17, and say "is better with jet engine!"

Da, everything better with jet engine.

quote:

The Soviets insisted on the use of a jet engine in the new aircraft, and also participated in the design process.

[...]

The PZL M-15 is believed to be the world's only jet agricultural plane (e.g., the world's only jet cropduster), the world's only jet biplane and the world's slowest jet, at least as far as aircraft that have been put in mass production.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 7, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I still hold that the Backfire with AAMs is the best solution for the Canadian interceptor / Arctic sovereignty role.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LostCosmonaut posted:

I still hold that the Backfire with AAMs is the best solution for the Canadian interceptor / Arctic sovereignty role.

In that case, just sell the Canadians the B-1R. Four F-22 engines, supercruise, something like 20+ AMRAAMs, basically a SAM site in the sky.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 7, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LostCosmonaut posted:

The Backfire has sexy sexy shoulders.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ctishman posted:

KLEB in Lebanon, NH has and ILS approach that follows HAMMM, BURGR, FRYYS.

KMCI in Kansas City has an ILS approach with SPICY, BARBQ, TERKY, SMOKE, RIBBS.

And now I'm hungry.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Don't see one of these every day.

Vought Pirate. 1945 first flight, first Navy aircraft with an afterburner, built out of a wood and aluminum composite. Was underpowered, and never saw active service. This is the last one left, and is a really really nice restoration to leave out in the weather like that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ILS to RWY16 at KPSM, Portsmouth, NH.

ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT

And the missed approach point... IDEED

Don't get it?

I suppose SATAN is worthy of mention as well.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Ferret King posted:

Employees within the Air Traffic Organization usually. Often controllers, ATC managers, or regional staff.

MAVRK is on the Laughling One Departure out of Laughling AFB, KDLF.

Is there a story to go with YEEHA ?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Worthleast posted:

If I had to hazard a guess it would be a reference to Goose's "Yeehaa, great balls of fire" and other such if you were to stick with the Top Gun theme.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Worthleast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmP9b7McyAk&t=28s ?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I was gonna post that one but I was really looking for the one right before they had to fly Cougar in on approach.

Now that I've re-watched the opener to Top Gun about 5 times, I was wondering if anyone has a good source of carrier flight-ops footage? Watching a crew work that ballet is just :swoon:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ola posted:

ILS to RWY16 at KPSM, Portsmouth, NH.

ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT

And the missed approach point... IDEED

Don't get it?

I suppose SATAN is worthy of mention as well.

I knew there was another one nearby, I couldn't remember it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Who wants to see some Mosquito wing load bearing and stress testing footage?

Wings under test (1947): http://youtu.be/o7CK_sXlLsA

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm going to have to remember this one as a way of saying we don't care about the troops - just change out the military organisation and its people:

quote:

Operational value is the paramount consideration in [the design of aircraft] for the [Royal Australian Air Force]; but the safety of the [air crew] is provided for to the maximum possible extent.

Also, I love his RP Aussie thing that the VO has going on.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Worthleast posted:

I guess it's possibly a reference to Top Gun, but this is Texas and it's probably yet another cowboy term.

Corpus airspace has JIMIE and PINNR in reference to a retired controller from there, Jimmy Pinner.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't see one of these every day.

Vought Pirate. 1945 first flight, first Navy aircraft with an afterburner, built out of a wood and aluminum composite. Was underpowered, and never saw active service. This is the last one left, and is a really really nice restoration to leave out in the weather like that.

The intake is so wee :3:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Advent Horizon posted:

That crash site is within walking distance of my house. There have been multiple crashes up there and they're almost entirely due to weather. There are probably 150 AStar flights over my house, on average, every day in the summer. Every once in a while you're going to have an accident, and honestly the fact that nobody has died in an AStar when it has happened (here) would sell me on them more.

I think you keep forgetting that I'm the poster who has spent 20 years in Juneau, I know all about the mosquito cloud-like thickness of Astars in the summer :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

slidebite posted:

The intake is so wee :3:

It no-joke took me like an extra 3-5 seconds to find it. "OH! Oh. Ohhhhhhh...:allears:"