Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
HappyHelmet understands it correctly.

Beyond that it's really YMMV and it depends entirely on the branch. I was at a large branch with 9-10 NSTs and had a good experience for several reasons; more than half my colleagues were normal and cool people that I could relate to, I was usually able to take as many or as few hours as I wanted, I worked only 1 Saturday in my entire year there, and my HNST was unable to confront people at all so "mandatory unpaid training" was more like a suggested meeting. On the other hand if you are placed in the boonies with 1 super creepy (H)NST colleague and a branch manager who is determined to both run and ruin your life, then you should probably look to jump ship as soon as possible. And no, they can't take the $20,000 training reimbursement fee from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I love Tainan! Especially AnPing. But there are a lot of expats there so if you are hoping to learn Chinese by immersion that might limit things.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Who else let out a big sigh of relief when the bus-driver attacker turned out to be Taiwanese and not a foreigner? Western-raised and/or educated, but still not a foreigner. We really dodged a bullet there, guys and girls.

Edit: Added a sentence.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 5, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

Who else let out a big sigh of relief when the bus-driver attacker turned out to be Taiwanese and not a foreigner? Western-raised and/or educated, but still not a foreigner. We really dodged a bullet there, guys and girls.

What's going on? Didn't see any news coverage

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, they found him already? I assumed he was an ABC, is he straight-up Taiwanese?

caberham posted:

What's going on? Didn't see any news coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMicR8Gt_Ks

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, they found him already? I assumed he was an ABC, is he straight-up Taiwanese?

Whoops, the "Western-raised" bit was supposed to include ABCs. Not sure if he is a full-on ABC or a schooled-in-Canada Taiwanese, but he is definitely not a foreigner, and that's what counts, right? And Taiwanese on my Facebook are claiming his and his wife's names, address, jobs, etc., etc., have already been discovered.

I am super crazy confident he is Canadian. His "sorry" is a dead give-away.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

A friend posted it on Facebook last night and one of his friends said dude lives in Zhongli and they used to go to the same gym.

Also if you look at the comments on the video, you'll find his skin color isn't stopping people grouping him under "foreigner". Which would almost be progressive if it weren't just because they don't want to claim him.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pandemonium posted:

Did you really think that him being of Taiwanese descent would stop the likes of Apple Daily from labelling him 老外 scum.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Canadian? That guy better not be from Vancouver.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

White trash :lol:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man sometimes I really have to wonder about this loving place.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I bet if he freaked out in Chinese everyone would be calling him super cool.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I want to go to China and sending my passport halfway round the world to get the visa seems slow. What's a good travel agent or visa company in Taiwan?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

House Louse posted:

I want to go to China and sending my passport halfway round the world to get the visa seems slow. What's a good travel agent or visa company in Taiwan?

Are you in Taiwan? You can just go to the American Institute or whatever your home country's pseudo-embassy is called.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Are you in Taiwan? You can just go to the American Institute or whatever your home country's pseudo-embassy is called.
For a Chinese visa?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

duckfarts posted:

For a Chinese visa?

oh wait, forget that

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I bet if he freaked out in Chinese everyone would be calling him super cool.
If he freaked out in Chinese he'd probably be getting lumped in with mainlanders.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Did you really think that him being of Taiwanese descent would stop the likes of Apple Daily from labelling him 老外 scum.

Reading this using Google Translate is hilarious, by the way:

quote:

... suddenly a burly physique foreigners constantly contradict with the body ...

EDIT:

quote:

... foreigners do not understand what to say ...

So very true.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 5, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

So very true.
I dunno, I think "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat" is probably pretty universal across everyone who's seen that video.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

House Louse posted:

In lieu of better answers, I'd just call or walk into an EZFly or EZTravel location and ask. They're good for booking flights and such, and I figure they know how to deal with the visa stuff.

e: finally clicked on the video, heard "say you're sorry" and didn't really need to see any more of this fwp retard

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 5, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, I thought you could get a China visa from Hong Kong?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Word on the street is bus dude wants to sue whoever took that video for defamation.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Yes most definitely

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, but it takes 24 hours and I would rather spend that time seeing friends.

duckfarts posted:

In lieu of better answers, I'd just call or walk into an EZFly or EZTravel location and ask. They're good for booking flights and such, and I figure they know how to deal with the visa stuff.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
So, can my boss just straight-up refuse to let me out of my contract? I intend to begin working at another school on the 25th, but my contract officially ends on the 31st. She said that it was unacceptable and I was not permitted to leave. She also suggested that she could cause some trouble for me as far as ability to remain in Taiwan.

What is she required to do under the law and what kind of trouble can she actually cause?

You can see why I prefer not to be working with someone like her.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Oz_Bonus posted:

So, can my boss just straight-up refuse to let me out of my contract? I intend to begin working at another school on the 25th, but my contract officially ends on the 31st. She said that it was unacceptable and I was not permitted to leave. She also suggested that she could cause some trouble for me as far as ability to remain in Taiwan.

What is she required to do under the law and what kind of trouble can she actually cause?

You can see why I prefer not to be working with someone like her.

You talk to that government foreigner help line at all yet?

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

duckfarts posted:

You talk to that government foreigner help line at all yet?

Ah, I just looked it up and saw it was a 24-hour hotline. I'd assumed it was normal office hours. I'll see what they have to say.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Got an email from HESS Taiwan, going to be doing a Skype interview next week on the 12th. Any tips or good questions to ask? Should I ask about what city/school I'll be going to, or is that later?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Got an email from HESS Taiwan, going to be doing a Skype interview next week on the 12th. Any tips or good questions to ask? Should I ask about what city/school I'll be going to, or is that later?

Honestly, just don't come across as a complete gently caress up and you'll be fine.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

No, it's all reasonable stuff and they recruit pretty much anyone, so don't worry. I think the intrusive crap comes later. As for the city, they'll email you some bumf about the different ones but I don't think it really makes a difference. It's not like you can judge a city from one paragraph of information. Just don't say Chiayi. They haven't got a clue about the branch you'll be at, so don't ask.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The best advice I have for you is decide now whether or not you want to teach kindergarten. Most people don't have a whole lot of issues with kindergarten, but I fundamentally didn't fit the whole kindergarten thing, the singing and dancing and the crafts and the pee and the 5-day 9am thing, and I felt pretty trapped by it my first year.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

Ask about working on the weekends and going to meetings on your off-days, but do it in a way that implies you really hope they answer no to both of those questions.

But seriously, just ask about common sense things like how much help they give with training and how the schools are supposed to handle things like feedback and evaluations. Or you can ask about stuff like the dress code. I always hate that part of interviews because you don't want to ask the "wrong" questions, like, "How much vacation do I get?" or, "What if I don't like my branch?" even if those are relevant and valid questions, but you still need to ask something.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So for anyone in the thread who didn't know, I just got done getting a tumor taken out of my gut sack. One week of hospitalization and some state-of-the-art video assisted surgery and I'm only down 18,000NT.

Taiwan healthcare RULES!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
But you did have to sleep in a room with a crying baby.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Oh it's goddamn terrifying to be alone in a hospital surrounded by hostile people who don't speak the English, no doubt. But I'm loving alive and have an entire bag of painkillers right here so we good.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh it's goddamn terrifying to be alone in a hospital surrounded by hostile people who don't speak the English, no doubt. But I'm loving alive and have an entire bag of painkillers right here so we good.

I had surgery here before too.
My room mate was a guy dying of gut cancer (his stomach was gone at this point)
So the staff had to come in and pump out the water and poo poo every hour.
His caretaker came over to my bed and
(point to the guy) said
"This one...he's a dead man!"
@_@

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Barto posted:

I had surgery here before too.
My room mate was a guy dying of gut cancer (his stomach was gone at this point)
So the staff had to come in and pump out the water and poo poo every hour.
His caretaker came over to my bed and
(point to the guy) said
"This one...he's a dead man!"
@_@

My roommate and I did the dueling banjos thing with that little box that sucks all the bloodwaste out of your body cavity.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

My roommate and I did the dueling banjos thing with that little box that sucks all the bloodwaste out of your body cavity.

...but did you get Ebola?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Barto posted:

...but did you get Ebola?

Do I look like a Mexican kid to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Do I look like a Mexican kid to you?

More Spanish actually.
Sorry...