Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sleep of Bronze posted:

This sounds entertaining. Tell me about the sort of person who would make this mod.

There's not much to say, he's just a highschooler really obsessed with sucking mods' dicks, liking every simgle post on the forums and generally being tumblr personified. I remember him being really mad at me for being a dick online

e: I made an amateur trailer for ARPv7

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Arivia posted:

edit: Oh, and recommendations for kensai weapon proficiencies starting right out of Candlekeep would be stellar. IDK if there's katanas worth a drat in BG1 now, for example.

Get the scimitar/katana proficiency. Go to the area with Drizzt as soon as possible, chuck an invis potion and walk up and wait for the gnolls to kill him (he doesn't fight them until he sees you). It takes a few minutes. Boom. Two +3 scimitars.

Edit: And an awesome chain mail

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ulvino posted:

Edit: ^^ It appears there is one Katana +1 in the Cloakwood mines. That's what my Mariachi Samurai hopes, at least.
Yup. That's the only magical katana in BG1EE. You get it off the Ogre Mage torturer. I think you can find a regular katana on the body of the world's strongest Ogre Mage near the entrance to the Firewine dungeon and you can get a few more regular ones elsewhere as well. (And there's the kanana in Winthrop's store that's there to taunt you.)

Arivia posted:

e: and kensai end up dual-wielding, don't they?
From what I've seen, dual-wielding katanas is the recommended setup for kensai. I think that going with katanas is fine. I had played a kensai with a +1 katana and a regular katana on his off-hand and he was doing very good damage. Only a few enemies are immune to +1 weapons and for these cases you can switch to something else. And by specializing in katanas you are setting your character up nicely for BG2 where he can get Celestial Fury.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

The BG NPC pack if you care about characters. The NPCs in BG1 are incredibly silent compared to BG2, and this adds interjections, conversations, and banters between party members. There's also optional romances, which aren't bad, and definitely not near Saerileth or Chloe-levels of terribleness.

Is tho the Gibberlings 3 version? It's the only one I can find, and it doesn't say it's compatible with BGEE.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ImpulseDrive posted:

Is tho the Gibberlings 3 version? It's the only one I can find, and it doesn't say it's compatible with BGEE.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32379/bg1npc-for-bgee-prerelease

This is the one I use and the only problems I have are related to BG:EE. (Specifically, a character dying and being resurrected resets all their dialogue flags. This is fixed in the next Bg:EE patch but that is only in beta.)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
While the earlier poster here might've been trolling, at least the last time I tried IWD2, it was pretty close to what I'd call 'unplayable'. The performance was awful with constant stuttering, and I'm not sure if I got the widescreen mod to even work with it but if I did, I think it made the interface super ugly and without it the available resolutions just looked horrible on a modern monitor. IWD1 & Torment work 'okay', but both have minor annoyances (like flickering fog of war) that some people might just find unbearable, and they really just don't feel as smooth as the EE games do. The new content in them is kind of poo poo, and they're pretty buggy too, but overall I feel they're such an improvement that I really don't feel like going back to the originals. I just really wish there was IWD2 EE, because while I can take the annoyances with IWD & PS:T, whatever hacks BIS used with IWD2 just make the game a really terrible experience on every modern system I've tried it on.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32379/bg1npc-for-bgee-prerelease

This is the one I use and the only problems I have are related to BG:EE. (Specifically, a character dying and being resurrected resets all their dialogue flags. This is fixed in the next Bg:EE patch but that is only in beta.)

Got it.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Ulvino posted:

Got it, thanks everyone.

Now I only have to get out of this drat office...

Edit: ^^ It appears there is one Katana +1 in the Cloakwood mines. That's what my Mariachi Samurai hopes, at least.

Also, katanas are not subject to the iron crisis so even regular ones will not break.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Hmm, I've never heard of anyone dual-classing Shar-Teel to thief before.

She's perfect as an offensive thief, I've always thought that if you don't dual her to thief you're using her wrong. Her high strength gives her some amazing backstab damage.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ImpulseDrive posted:

Yeah, I think they're technically in pre-release for the EE version, but I'm in the final chapter and I haven't had a problem with any of it. There's that one bug where if you save and reload with a dead party member, their dialogue gets reset. But resurrection is such a bitch in BG1 I reload every time someone dies anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

verybad posted:

While the earlier poster here might've been trolling, at least the last time I tried IWD2, it was pretty close to what I'd call 'unplayable'. The performance was awful with constant stuttering, and I'm not sure if I got the widescreen mod to even work with it but if I did, I think it made the interface super ugly and without it the available resolutions just looked horrible on a modern monitor. IWD1 & Torment work 'okay', but both have minor annoyances (like flickering fog of war) that some people might just find unbearable, and they really just don't feel as smooth as the EE games do. The new content in them is kind of poo poo, and they're pretty buggy too, but overall I feel they're such an improvement that I really don't feel like going back to the originals. I just really wish there was IWD2 EE, because while I can take the annoyances with IWD & PS:T, whatever hacks BIS used with IWD2 just make the game a really terrible experience on every modern system I've tried it on.

I installed IWD 2 from gog, did a few things from the tweak pack, and didn't do the widescreen mod. Performance is great and although the UI is a little worse than BG2, it isn't too drastically different.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I just recently played IWD1 and 2 via GOG and I didn't use any mods and they played perfectly fine for me and looked fine.

Maybe my standards are just really low

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The only irritating thing about the IWD2 UI, for me, is the lack of formations that stick the party leader somewhere other than up front.

The only high-charisma class you'd want up front is the paladin, and then you lose all your fun quest rewards.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

The only irritating thing about the IWD2 UI, for me, is the lack of formations that stick the party leader somewhere other than up front.

The only high-charisma class you'd want up front is the paladin, and then you lose all your fun quest rewards.

In most cases with rewards though it's not a forced conversation so you can choose somebody other than your paladin to talk to the quest giver and accept whatever rewards they give.

It can still get annoying though when you forget that like I always do and have your Paladin talk to the quest giver

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So the new BG:EE NPCs have quests even in BG1, right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yes, and BG2 style quests so they stand out a bit from the other NPCs.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Arivia posted:

Yes, and their quality is close to BG2 levels so if you take them with you, the rest of the party members feel really, really silent all of a sudden. That's why I use the NPC mod, at least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Struensee posted:

Get the scimitar/katana proficiency. Go to the area with Drizzt as soon as possible, chuck an invis potion and walk up and wait for the gnolls to kill him (he doesn't fight them until he sees you). It takes a few minutes. Boom. Two +3 scimitars.

Edit: And an awesome chain mail

What the hell game are you playing where Drizzt doesn't just oneshot every single gnoll instantly? You can pickpocket Twinkle and whatever the other one is called off of him though and Twinkle's a +5. Or it was when the game was new, I'm not sure if it is in EE.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
In EE, Drizzt stops attacking the gnolls to kill you if you threaten him. And then, even if you run away or turn invisible, Drizzt still doesn't attack the gnolls. This is apparently getting fixed in the new patch, whenever it gets released.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Taear posted:

What the hell game are you playing where Drizzt doesn't just oneshot every single gnoll instantly? You can pickpocket Twinkle and whatever the other one is called off of him though and Twinkle's a +5. Or it was when the game was new, I'm not sure if it is in EE.

Drizzt doesn't actually start fighting until after he's talked to the player. If you walk up to him and he can't see you, he'll just stand there waiting you to become visible so he can talk to you.

The gnolls, of course, are having none of that bullshit and will start attacking Drizzt as soon as they're in your vision.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do the new NPCs react/work if you never used them in BGEE?

About to start a new game, and thinking of just going canon party, rather then canon - Dynaheir. I've never given Dynaheir a real chance, but I'm thinking of trying her out now that I have this banter pack.

But since she bites it in 2, and I'll need a new mage, I'm going to be using Neera. What carries over on the new NPC stuff? Would it be better to do Neera's quest in BG1 if I care about her story in 2? Can I just completely ignore her?

Also what pack do I have to use to install the Stronghold mod into BG2EE? I only really care about the Fighter/Mage strongholds, but I've always liked having both.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nothing carries over on the EE characters. Neera's BG2 quests are completely divorced from her BG1 quests in terms of plot, too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Nothing carries over on the EE characters. Neera's BG2 quests are completely divorced from her BG1 quests in terms of plot, too.

They are? That's silly but understandable I suppose.

BG1 NPC Banter pack is both amazing and terrible at the same times. I'm enjoying seeing Khalid/Jaheria/Imoen talk about stuff as they would from their BG2 personalities. On the other hand, they need to tone it down/have them shut up a bit. I've had Imoen pop up to talk to me about adventuring 10 times or so just from Candlekeep to Beregost. It can't imagine they can keep this up all the way to the end of the game, and if they could, I'm not sure I want them to.

I'm also really not sure what to do with this game as I hit Beregost. I like making a Fighter with 18 Str/Dex/Con that hits things really well, and it's always done me right in BG1. The problem is that every time I hit BG2, I end up using Mazzy/Keldorn/Minsc/Sarevok/more melee guys because all the melee guys are the best, and Nalia/Aerie are kind of creepy/poorly written. So I want to actually have a Mage of some sort this time.

Neera works I suppose for the slot, but I've been thinking of making my PC a Mage as well. Except I HATE playing Mage in BG1. You basically have to rely entirely on the other party members to do anything for half the game. It's just not very fun at all.

So do I keep going forward with the Mage and just suck it up? Reroll as a Fighter and just deal with a 3-4 Fighter party in BG2? Dualclass a Fighter/Mage? ( Could I even cast spells in Plate/hit things from time to time? ). Trying to figure it all out.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just console yourself some scimitars.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Rookersh posted:

BG1 NPC Banter pack is both amazing and terrible at the same times. I'm enjoying seeing Khalid/Jaheria/Imoen talk about stuff as they would from their BG2 personalities. On the other hand, they need to tone it down/have them shut up a bit. I've had Imoen pop up to talk to me about adventuring 10 times or so just from Candlekeep to Beregost. It can't imagine they can keep this up all the way to the end of the game, and if they could, I'm not sure I want them to.

I'm also really not sure what to do with this game as I hit Beregost. I like making a Fighter with 18 Str/Dex/Con that hits things really well, and it's always done me right in BG1. The problem is that every time I hit BG2, I end up using Mazzy/Keldorn/Minsc/Sarevok/more melee guys because all the melee guys are the best, and Nalia/Aerie are kind of creepy/poorly written. So I want to actually have a Mage of some sort this time.

Neera works I suppose for the slot, but I've been thinking of making my PC a Mage as well. Except I HATE playing Mage in BG1. You basically have to rely entirely on the other party members to do anything for half the game. It's just not very fun at all.

So do I keep going forward with the Mage and just suck it up? Reroll as a Fighter and just deal with a 3-4 Fighter party in BG2? Dualclass a Fighter/Mage? ( Could I even cast spells in Plate/hit things from time to time? ). Trying to figure it all out.

Use Edwin, he is fun and very strong (esp. in 'good' parties for some hilarious banters) - by far the best mage you can get. I had a lot of fun pairing him/her up with Minsc and Keldorn. There's also Jan but his personality is, ugh... an acquired taste. He can also use traps at a high level (and traps are hilariously broken in this game) and steal things for you, so there's that.

A fighter/mage dual is one of the most stupidly overpowered things in BG.

No, you can't wear heavy armor, but your protective spells will keep your AC low enough that it won't matter, not to mention a huge array of other kinds of self-cast defensive spells (stone skin, fire shield, etc.) that will make normal fighters drool with envy. The basic level 1 armor spell last 10 hours and you can set it on auto-cast with SCS scripts.

The real dilemma is whether to go Berserker or Kensai. Berserker works better as a tank - you can wear elven chain in BG2 and the upgraded chain armor in ToB plus all kinds of trinkets. Going Berserk makes you immune to a lot of things including imprisonment. Some people swear by the Kensai's offensive power but I haven't tested it out myself to make comparisons.

I don't recommend going EE as you really want to pre-buff yourself before serious fights and it's such a pain at later levels without normal shortcuts (spell shortcuts in EE are broken). Vanilla is fine as it is unless you want the new NPCs. I found them all unbearably awful even compared to Bioware (tm) stock, to be honest.

You want to dual at 9 or 13. Going with 9 is the easiest as you can catch up immediately by reading scrolls you can buy/steal in Athkatla. 13 is a bit more tricky and I haven't tried pushing it so far myself. I don't like 'down time' on my characters.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 8, 2014

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Rookersh posted:

The NPC project gets a bad rap, in my opinion, because the person who wrote Imoen really went to town with the "annoying little sister" trope. And Imoen's the standard NPC that everyone takes. I mean, sure, she's supposed to be kind of annoyingly cheerful in the first game but maybe you can tone it down a bit and not make her completely unlikeable in the process.

I remember thinking the NPC project was pretty bad because of this, but I just kicked her out and found that Xzar and Montaron were written pretty well (particularly Xzar - the author did a much better job fleshing him out then Bioware did in BG2). I don't remember Khalid and Jaheira being that bad either.

Really just kicking Imoen out of the group should solve most of your problems.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
So the Mariachi Samurai was a bit too silly for me, at least for now.

I'm thinking about rolling a dwarven bounty hunter, mainly inspired by this pic:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/260/f/6/daximus_shadowborne__the_3rd_of_his_name___dnd_ch_by_noiprox-d6mncfg.jpg

For party composition I was considering on Kivan, Kagain, Neera, Coran and Yeslick or Branwen, depending on Yeslick and Kagain not coming to blows with each other.

This is a thing that can happen, right?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Anything can happen in your life, if only you desire so

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Anything can happen in your life, if only you desire so

Thank you, I will remember that. :cheers:

But I was asking about Kagain and Yeslick fighting, the same way as Shar-Teel and Eldoth, Minsc and Edwin or the Harpers and Zhents.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They do. Quayle and Tiax as well. I think Alora and Monty are the only token minorities who won't try to kill each other. I guess Xan is cool with other elves, too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So alright, this is dumb, but I'm going to do it and learn how to play DnD better.

I'm going to finally play a dual class character, and do a basic Fighter > Mage. No fancy Kensai/Beserker/Wizard Slayer kits because I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

- What are the best levels to dual from Fighter to Mage and why? I haven't actually played a DnD game for awhile, so I forget what Fighters get per level.

- Will I keep my ability to use swords/flails/whatever? Wondering if I should be putting points into Long Swords or Quarterstaffs. On that note, whats the "best" thing to become proficient in if I can only choose one.

- Will I get access to both HLAs in ToB or just the Mages? According to the rulebooks I'm finding online, you only get the HLAs of the class you dual into, but every bit of info I can find on message boards is saying they love Fighter/Mage over Kensai/Mage because "you get both HLAs!". However would I need to get my Fighter to 18 to get HLAs? ( or whatever level you need to be to get HLAs, I completely forgot and am just assuming it's around 20. )

- How is this class even going to play? Will it basically just be a Fighter that can cast Breach? A Fighter that can stack magical buffs on itself to cover for no Armor, then rush in with selfHaste? Or a Mage with a health pool that shouldn't be scoffed at, that can also hit things really hard when it runs out of spells. Trying to get a feel for the playstyle before I hit BG2.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Thanks I think I will try to bring them both anyway, leaving Branwen in stone as backup.

I remember Xan being one of the chillest NPCs but at least hating Eldoth and being very vocal about it.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Rookersh posted:

So alright, this is dumb, but I'm going to do it and learn how to play DnD better.

I'm going to finally play a dual class character, and do a basic Fighter > Mage. No fancy Kensai/Beserker/Wizard Slayer kits because I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

- What are the best levels to dual from Fighter to Mage and why? I haven't actually played a DnD game for awhile, so I forget what Fighters get per level.

To keep it simple - Fighter 9. Stock up on a lot of spell scrolls beforehand. Once you've switched, read all your unused scrolls at once to bring you to Mage 10.

However, kits are half of the reason why duals are considered powerful. If you don't want to use kits you might as well take a multiclass instead.

quote:

- Will I keep my ability to use swords/flails/whatever? Wondering if I should be putting points into Long Swords or Quarterstaffs. On that note, whats the "best" thing to become proficient in if I can only choose one.

You lose everything once you switch to Mage and then gain everything back when your Mage levels overtake your Fighter levels. Proficiencies overlap, so if you took 1 pip in daggers as a Fighter than 1 pip in daggers as a Mage you'll still have 1 pip total once you gain back your Fighter proficiencies.

Once you've regained your Fighter proficiencies you'll be able to progress normally as a Fighter (so up to grandmastery in everything) even though you'll gain pips at the rate of a Mage - so you'll have to use them sparingly.

Re: weapons, avoid Warhammers, Short Swords and Spears (as well as all the usual 'used by everyone' categories like Daggers). Most 'fighter type' weapon categories have at least one really good option.

quote:

- Will I get access to both HLAs in ToB or just the Mages? According to the rulebooks I'm finding online, you only get the HLAs of the class you dual into, but every bit of info I can find on message boards is saying they love Fighter/Mage over Kensai/Mage because "you get both HLAs!". However would I need to get my Fighter to 18 to get HLAs? ( or whatever level you need to be to get HLAs, I completely forgot and am just assuming it's around 20. )

Only mage HLAs if you dual. If you go multiclass, you get both (as you keep progressing in both).

Fighter/Mage is a multiclass (you can't pick kits if you multiclass), Kensai/Mage is a dualclass.

quote:

- How is this class even going to play? Will it basically just be a Fighter that can cast Breach? A Fighter that can stack magical buffs on itself to cover for no Armor, then rush in with selfHaste? Or a Mage with a health pool that shouldn't be scoffed at, that can also hit things really hard when it runs out of spells. Trying to get a feel for the playstyle before I hit BG2.

In general, you prebuff and then you kill everything. Later on you will also get access to the usual Mage toys like chain contingency: 3x horrid wilting and wish while also being able to rival a fighter in raw melee power (until said fighters get HLAs). Very few mobs (if any? I haven't played vanilla in ages) get a 'dispel everything' spell or cast Ruby Rays so with 'immunity: abjuration/divination' you should be untouchable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rookersh posted:

There's pretty much no reason to not make a berserker. What is their drawback, fewer pips in ranged weapons? You won't need ranged pips where you're going.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Multiclass ( and Kensai ) seems like it falls back to the original problem I had with a Mage in BG1, ie I start out far too weak, and I'm just not patient enough to babysit 2 Mages through BG1 anymore.

With dual, I can start as a powerful Fighter with all the defense that offers, and then when I beat BG1 I can switch over to Mage and start leveling that up. Between scroll leveling, the massive health pool, and the fact the rest of my party is pretty high level, I can't imagine it'd be difficult to relevel again as a Mage before I really start getting into the main cycle of BG2 questing.

Honestly the only thing I'm hesitant about is losing Hardiness, but that isn't the end of the world. Most of the other Fighter HLAs are covered well enough by Mage spells, or won't even be noticed by me ( as this is the first time I'll be playing BG2/ToB with a Mage in my party at all. The last 2-3 times I beat the games I won all Mage fights by hitting them until they stopped casting. )

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I've always thought Berserker/Druid is the only thing worth dual classing. Fighter/Mage dual class, you spend half of BG2 as a lovely mage. Where's the fun in that? You don't get to do anything for most of the gameplay.

Druid levels so stupid fast that you're back in the saddle at full bullshit in no time.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Dual class at 9 and you won't. 13 is optimal but the difference is small enough not to bother.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does anyone know what's supposed to happen in Jan's quest if you tell him you'll meet him at his house? I let him go and then went to his house immediately after because I realized I wanted a thief, but he's not at his house. If I go, all I meet is Lissa saying "Please help my daughter!" :(

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've always thought Berserker/Druid is the only thing worth dual classing. Fighter/Mage dual class, you spend half of BG2 as a lovely mage. Where's the fun in that? You don't get to do anything for most of the gameplay.

Druid levels so stupid fast that you're back in the saddle at full bullshit in no time.

Unless you dual-class at level 13, in which case have fun doing those two levels for like half of the game!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Unless you dual-class at level 13, in which case have fun doing those two levels for like half of the game!!

Yeah but why would anyone be dumb enough to dual at 13? The math is plainly, obviously bad.