Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Dracula is one of those novels that has acquired near mythic status and is arguably applicable to any number of social mores of the late 19th century. Off the top of my head I've heard arguments for him symbolising female sexuality, male homosexuality, menstruation, the primal father, fertility, the industrial revolution, the aristocracy and probably a bunch of others that I've forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Android Blues posted:

Sorry, you guys. I just love talking about Dracula.
Actually, I like finding out stuff like this, especially given my recent interest in gothic novels.
Do you have a blog or something of the sort where you talk about these kind of things?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Android Blues posted:

Sorry, you guys. I just love talking about Dracula.
Discussing classic horror, its interpretation, and influence, beats the hell out of whining about when the next strip is out. Please keep posting this kind of stuff

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DoctorTristan posted:

Dracula is one of those novels that has acquired near mythic status and is arguably applicable to any number of social mores of the late 19th century. Off the top of my head I've heard arguments for him symbolising female sexuality, male homosexuality, menstruation, the primal father, fertility, the industrial revolution, the aristocracy and probably a bunch of others that I've forgotten.

Steampunk Dracula.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Didn't they do that recently on some TV show? Make Dracula out to be a free energy revolutionary in 19th century England trying to destroy the Illuminati cabal of oil barons? I'm PRETTY sure that wasn't a dream I had...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vorgen posted:

Didn't they do that recently on some TV show? Make Dracula out to be a free energy revolutionary in 19th century England trying to destroy the Illuminati cabal of oil barons? I'm PRETTY sure that wasn't a dream I had...

I do remember someone mentioning this during a derail in the Metal Gear Civilization LP.

It sounded incredibly stupid.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked that bit in The Dracula Tapes where Dracula had to keep feeding on Lucy because van Helsing, not knowing what blood types are, was killing her by transfusing in blood from whoever was convenient.

Of course, blood type mismatches tend to kill a lot faster than that, but still, cute idea.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vorgen posted:

Yeah. It got canceled.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

The Dracula Tapes

Nice stealth pun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kickstarter update to say there's no update. Looks like there's been some progress on the "The(r)kla" story, but a setback on the Sir Francois PDF.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Actually, I like finding out stuff like this, especially given my recent interest in gothic novels.
Do you have a blog or something of the sort where you talk about these kind of things?

I don't, but hey, thanks for your interest! :) I'm flattered.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite take on vampires is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. It compares wealthy southerners profiting off of slaves to literally feasting upon them for sustenance.

Also Abraham Lincoln swinging around a silver Axe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Kickstarter update to say there's no update. Looks like there's been some progress on the "The(r)kla" story, but a setback on the Sir Francois PDF.

bangin

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooo, the wallpaper also implies that the Mechane crew will be sticking around.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ooh, what is that? They defile a temple to the Dark one?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ooh, what is that? They defile a temple to the Dark one?

Aparently that image is not as iconic as I assumed.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It really hammered the point home that early D&D was 100% about being a bunch of tomb raiders.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Potsticker posted:

Aparently that image is not as iconic as I assumed.

There is an episode that references that SO HARD in Reboot.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
AD&D PHB cover:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

All the people in the painting are Gygax too, IIRC.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I love the fact that Roy is leafing through that AD&D handbook :haw:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Took me a while before I realized the statue is Redcloak and they are taking away his eye

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Took me a while before I realized the statue is Redcloak and they are taking away his eye

Holy poo poo.

... d'you think Rich had this planned that far in advance?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

Holy poo poo.

... d'you think Rich had this planned that far in advance?

I doubt it. He probably intended to re-make that image at some point and then put the pieces together as the story progressed.

Then again, what the gently caress do I know?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Three weeks... what the gently caress, Rich Burlew?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You're doing it wrong. Try it like this.

Gee, I sure hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Colonel Cool posted:

Put it in a RSS feed, forget about it in between updates, be happily surprised one day at work instead of pointlessly angry at a webcomic.

e X fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 13, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

Yeah, it takes the time it takes. He'll make it up at some point; his average over a long period is 1-2 strips a week, iirc.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

You're doing it wrong. Try it like this.

Gee, I sure hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

WHELP!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The system works.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That a Terminus Est reference I see?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Mercurial Greatswords and other Terminus Est references are a proud tradition of D&D. Like most things that have disappeared into the system's maw, they have stopped being a reference to the original work and started being a reference to themselves.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Those fleshy claws look seriously weird to me. With the black three fingered one, it was obvious that it was a stick figure thing, but now, it falls right in the uncanny valley.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Did Belkar bring the food for his cat into Vaar's cabin or did Vaar keep spare catfood around?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What past events are V referring to? If it's the whole Soul Splice issue, it looks like V took the exact wrong lesson from it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Darth TNT posted:

Did Belkar bring the food for his cat into Vaar's cabin or did Vaar keep spare catfood around?
In the past Belkar has demonstrated the ability to whip up delicious multi-course meals out of drat-near thin air. Scrounging up a plate of Fancy Feast for Mr. Scruffy is the sort of thing his DM wouldn't even make him roll for.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kajeesus posted:

What past events are V referring to? If it's the whole Soul Splice issue, it looks like V took the exact wrong lesson from it.

Murdering an entire race of dragons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

e X posted:

Those fleshy claws look seriously weird to me. With the black three fingered one, it was obvious that it was a stick figure thing, but now, it falls right in the uncanny valley.

Wait until you see the Steven Spielberg & Peter Jackson OOTS movie.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Colonial Air Force posted:

Murdering an entire race of dragons.

Ohh, right. That thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

It's not a cruise liner, this is probably a communal area.