Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

King of Solomon posted:

...because goddamn it I want to see Ollie go wild with trick arrows from time to time.

Counterpoint: Hawkeye's hacker arrow from Avengers. That poo poo was stupid. Let's not put Ollie in that situation.

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah I definitely see a lot of "TDK" in Arrow, whereas The Flash gives me more of a "TASM"-vibe. It would be a bit jarring if every super-powered bad guy conveniently misses Starling City, however.

I guess I can see TASM; I still get a serious Raimi Spider-Man feeling. There's so much hammy enthusiasm for the premise, and the entire aesthetic style is this colorful, staged, composed thing.

(This is in no way an insult. The Raimi movies looked great; the things that sucked about the third one had very little to do with the style.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ollie's already used a hacker arrow bud.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xealot posted:

Counterpoint: Hawkeye's hacker arrow from Avengers. That poo poo was stupid. Let's not put Ollie in that situation.

How quickly we forgot the pilot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At least Hawkeye's arrow actually plugged into something.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Deadpool posted:

At least Hawkeye's arrow actually plugged into something.

Ollie's arrow was wireless. You have failed to password protect your WiFi.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bad Moon posted:

Ollie's arrow was wireless. You have failed to password protect your WiFi.

It also just happened to remain stuck in the wall while blinking and going completely unnoticed overnight with the guy sitting right there. I'd say that's quite a bit more farfetched than Hawkeye's hacker arrow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Once we're in the realm of hacker arrows is anything really any too far fetched.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

zoux posted:

Once we're in the realm of hacker arrows is anything really any too far fetched.

*Shoots Roy in the leg, arrow starts beeping* "Um, was that an explosive arr...*BOOM*... well shi..."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Nope, not really. That was kind of the point. Pointing out Hawkeye's arrow as being dumb and never wanting something like that on Arrow is kind of funny given Arrow did it and did it dumber already.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

zoux posted:

Well, they could always do this...

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

King of Solomon posted:

"Why didn't you just make the cat hollow and only have to fire one?"

*Ollie and Speedy beat man to death with cat & flute arrow*

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

King of Solomon posted:

Okay if this doesn't show up in season 3, I'm going to start collecting heads.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stayne Falls posted:

"Why didn't you just make the cat hollow and only have to fire one?"

*Ollie and Speedy beat man to death with cat & flute arrow*

No Speedy does this

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Man, with 20 new posts, I was pumped to see the latest casting news. And then... cat arrows. Okay!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
This is just an extension of the classic comic book problem. Every problem is a Superman/Flash problem.

Keep all the Rogues in Central City? Why don't you put the whole world in a bottle, Barry?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

incredible bear posted:

Man, with 20 new posts, I was pumped to see the latest casting news. And then... cat arrows. Okay!

Clearly too far-fletched.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Clearly too far-fletched.

Puns like this will nock stand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ray Palmer is going to be a recurring on Arrow and he loving shrinks and poo poo. We can probably expect to start seeing powers on Arrow more and more. They have a universe to build.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

King of Solomon posted:

Good kitty.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Some Numbers posted:

How quickly we forgot the pilot.

Yeah, I blocked that out. I was living in a world where this didn't happen...it was a beautiful and utopian world. And now it's lost forever.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Gaz-L posted:

Puns like this will nock stand.

Well, I took a shot at it at least. Wouldn't want to compound my failures with another recurveance or I might start to look vane.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
True dat.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I, for one, would actually like to see a gradual introduction of super-powered enemies in Arrow. If Ollie is gonna eventually join the Justice League, he's got to be able to take down foes beyond normal human limits, and not just super-soldier serum knock-offs. Batman had Clayface to smack down on the regular. Fighting ninjas and Ra's is pretty swell, but I want just one straight up monster fight or super-powered rear end in a top hat that Ollie has to take down using smarts and strategy rather than brute force and intimidation.

Doctor Light would be perfect, he's sci-fi enough and we've already had references to him in the show. Not supernatural, but I can't hope for magical characters to show up in Arrow, so wacky science ones would work, and it'd be sweet to have a scene where Ollie reflects a laser beam with an arrowhead and blows up something.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Why does he have to join the Justice League though? Why should the writers of the show feel indebted to the comics and why should the show end up where the comics end up? If anything, as a non-comic reader, I feel like it'd detract from the story line of the show if the writers decided to go out of their way to make the hardcore comic fans happy. Let them tell their own story. They're doing a great job of it so far.

I'm so pumped about Ra's al Ghul though. He's a character (at least in Batman which I'm more familiar with) that's always skirted the lines between the natural and supernatural. The Lazarus Well thing. I wonder how they'll treat/address that. He's got to be one bad motherfucker to scare Malcolm Merlyn.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 7, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Mog posted:

Why does he have to join the Justice League though? Why should the writers of the show feel indebted to the comics and why should the show end up where the comics end up? If anything, as a non-comic reader, I feel like it'd detract from the story line of the show if the writers decided to go out of their way to make the hardcore comic fans happy. Let them tell their own story. They're doing a great job of it so far.

This.

Ollie's spent just as much time running solo as a member. He doesn't need a team to define him.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
DC Comics are pretty dire these days, so the less they take from them, the better.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arrow basically exists in a world without Batman and Superman - for now we can assume that. And without Bruce and Clark, the Justice League looks VERY different.

They've done an amazing job of giving enough fealty to the source material to give us what we need, but not everything we want. And I think there's a way to gradually introduce superpowers into arrow without it falling into camp.

They did a great job with superstrength this year, so I have faith in them. The show can easily support superspeed, flying, laser beams from hands etc. - anything that feels vaguely "comic book science"ey. Where they might run into trouble is if they delve into the more magic-centric stuff. I hope they stay far away from the more mystical parts of the DC universe.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Why do people assume that hes going to join the justice league as opposed to creating it himself?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, his traditional story is as the first recruit of the Justice League, not one of its founding members.

And I always assumed DC heroes rose up at the same-ish time. Maybe they'll just keep Gotham and Metropolis over on the east coast where no news ever filters over to the west coast (Starling) and plains (Central) cities.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
new Flash teaser: http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/08/the-flash-sprints-to-save-the-day-in-a-new-trailer/

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, his traditional story is as the first recruit of the Justice League, not one of its founding members.

And I always assumed DC heroes rose up at the same-ish time. Maybe they'll just keep Gotham and Metropolis over on the east coast where no news ever filters over to the west coast (Starling) and plains (Central) cities.

I don't know, I feel given Queen Industries has a mad scientist division that gets away with all sorts of nonsense that by the end of season 3 hes probably going to have his company back and a reason to think launching a large scale satellite into orbit to keep an eye on things is a good idea.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Clancy Brown has been cast as Wade "The General" Eiling in The Flash

Makes sense since they're featuring Plastique, but drat, they are digging deep into DC mythos here.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Captain Atom is next!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Scyantific posted:

Clancy Brown has been cast as Wade "The General" Eiling in The Flash

Makes sense since they're featuring Plastique, but drat, they are digging deep into DC mythos here.

Can't go wrong with Clancy Brown really.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

kingcom posted:

I don't know, I feel given Queen Industries has a mad scientist division that gets away with all sorts of nonsense that by the end of season 3 hes probably going to have his company back and a reason to think launching a large scale satellite into orbit to keep an eye on things is a good idea.

and have Ted Kord run it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Clancy Brown once played the flash, for half an episode of justice league where Lex Luthor(Brown) and Flash(Michael Rosenbaum) swapped bodies. The highlight was him acting like Flash trying to act like Luthor. He was coming out of the bathroom and one of the legion of doom asks him "Are you going to wash your hands?"

To which he replies: "No... Cause I'm evil"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

greatn posted:

Clancy Brown once played the flash, for half an episode of justice league where Lex Luthor(Brown) and Flash(Michael Rosenbaum) swapped bodies. The highlight was him acting like Flash trying to act like Luthor. He was coming out of the bathroom and one of the legion of doom asks him "Are you going to wash your hands?"

To which he replies: "No... Cause I'm evil"

The best part of that episode was Lex-as-Flash in the Watchtower bathroom.

"Well, I might as well take the opportunity to learn Flash's secret identity."
*removes mask, looks in mirror*
"I have no idea who this is."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dead Snoopy posted:

and have Ted Kord run it?

At SDCC, Kreisberg said WB/DC wouldn't let them have Ted Kord as they other plans for the character. They gave them Ray Palmer instead.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

ShakeZula posted:

The best part of that episode was Lex-as-Flash in the Watchtower bathroom.

"Well, I might as well take the opportunity to learn Flash's secret identity."
*removes mask, looks in mirror*
"I have no idea who this is."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qy4EIvvVj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If they shave his head, he would also make for an awesome live-action Lex Luthor.

• Locked thread