Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dang, Meph posted my description screen linebreak stuff in the Suggestion forum. Also, blevdogs:

Toady One, August 5 :toot: posted:

Happy birthday to Zach!

Removed some stale invasion data preventing further invasions
Stopped dwarves from breeding like animals, technically speaking
Made diplomats search for civ-level land-holders properly
Fixed some path buffering problems that could screw up neighbor list etc.
Gave not-you civs range of 30 path-wise for neighbor status on embark (towers still 10)
Fixed color display problem in civ list

Toady One, August 6 posted:

Got a crayon art envelope returned today -- I sent it to L.R. in Austin. If you sent a physical letter asking for a crayon art recently, and you are L.R. in Austin, I think I need an apartment number or something to complete the address, perhaps. Please send me an email!

In DF news today, I worked through various AI issues with invading and non-invading undead. I also tried to make question marks enterable in all the strings where they were supposed to be enterable, and I allowed numbers to be entered in burrow names without the cursor being interfered with. I put in a preliminary fix for backspace not working on OSX, but we'll have to see how that turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DF2014 : Stopped dwarves from breeding like animals, technically speaking

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Mmmm, spores.

:iit:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

I got a good gen and I built a fortress and everything was going OK, but my population is exploding. First my dwarves are literally breeding faster than rabbits, and now in the Spring of my second year my migrants basically doubled my size! So I'm sort of overwhelmed because (a) I need to double my food/drink production and I was already short on seeds and (b) now I've got to branch into new industries all of a sudden so that those guys have stuff to do.

Looking around, this appears to be a common problem.

Jackson Taus posted:

How do I slaughter my monkey captives? I went into the z-menu and set them to "Ready To Slaughter" but none of my butchers will do it no matter where I put the cage...

Any ideas on this? Or should I let them out of their cages in a room by my militia and let them have fun?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Jackson Taus posted:

Looking around, this appears to be a common problem.

Any ideas on this? Or should I let them out of their cages in a room by my militia and let them have fun?

Have you trained them? Dwarves won't drag wild animals to be slaughtered. It doesn't take long, just assign someone to animal training and hit t all down the list. They'll be briefly trained and then dragged off to the butcher.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fargo Fukes posted:

Have you trained them? Dwarves won't drag wild animals to be slaughtered. It doesn't take long, just assign someone to animal training and hit t all down the list. They'll be briefly trained and then dragged off to the butcher.

Huh, I didn't know that. That makes no freaking sense - if animals bust into my fortress and steal my poo poo, I've got to teach them to behave before executing them?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. That makes no freaking sense - if animals bust into my fortress and steal my poo poo, I've got to teach them to behave before executing them?

Well also imagine trying to drag an angry monkey to the butchers after pullling it out of a cage.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Can forest titans swim? I want to let my dwarves out of their fort but not if he can just float around in a lake shooting fireballs all over them.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Well also imagine trying to drag an angry monkey to the butchers after pullling it out of a cage.

How far do I have to train them?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

How far do I have to train them?

I think even semi-wild will do, just set the stockpile as a zone and put it as a training zone.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Budget Dracula posted:

Can forest titans swim? I want to let my dwarves out of their fort but not if he can just float around in a lake shooting fireballs all over them.

Most megabeasts seem to be perfectly content wading through, swimming across, or floating over water, in my experience. It also depends on what they're made of and possibly other factors. I tried flooding Hell with water and while the ash fiends seemed slightly put off by it, the blizzard wraiths didn't give a gently caress and the inferno demons just turned all of the water into steam. All of it. I thought for sure it would extinguish them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

It works out ok, your animal trainers will gain experience that is otherwise pretty difficult to come by, which helps when the time comes to train war animals!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hey guys, the only nice wildlife I have on my current map are some Ravens floating around at Z-level 27 or so. I'm considering building a tall tower and putting some cage traps on it. Any other ideas for capturing them? My other idea is that perhaps there is a DFHack command that will let me instantly tame them?

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Most megabeasts seem to be perfectly content wading through, swimming across, or floating over water, in my experience. It also depends on what they're made of and possibly other factors. I tried flooding Hell with water and while the ash fiends seemed slightly put off by it, the blizzard wraiths didn't give a gently caress and the inferno demons just turned all of the water into steam. All of it. I thought for sure it would extinguish them.

Yes he didn't stay in the pond for long. Now I am being inundated with collapse warnings due to the forest fire he started.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prop Wash posted:

It works out ok, your animal trainers will gain experience that is otherwise pretty difficult to come by, which helps when the time comes to train war animals!

The only tricky bit is if the animals are herbivores, they may be fed a plant that will leave a seed in the cage. The cage can't be used in cage traps until you get the seed out, but there is no command for that.

d-b-d to dump items, select all the cages with seeds.
Look [k] at the cages and [d] each one to remove the dump designation. Now the seeds inside will be dumped, but the cages will not.

This also works to remove corpses from cages if something dies in there.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You can also [t] the cage and select its contents for [d]umping from there. Either way works.

scamtank posted:

Dang, Meph posted my description screen linebreak stuff in the Suggestion forum. Also, blevdogs:

Stopped dwarves from breeding like animals, technically speaking

Thank loving god. Having my population double every season even without migration was really annoying, specially since it means the vast majority of my population is completely worthless.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turpitude posted:

Hey guys, the only nice wildlife I have on my current map are some Ravens floating around at Z-level 27 or so. I'm considering building a tall tower and putting some cage traps on it. Any other ideas for capturing them? My other idea is that perhaps there is a DFHack command that will let me instantly tame them?

The easiest way is to avoid the problem of high fliers in the first place. When you generate a world by default it continues 15 levels above the ground, if you don't plan to be building any towers, you can lower that to 3-5 and still have plenty of room for basic walls and stuff, but fewer things flying above the range of your archers. The downside being that you can't decide to build a castle later.

You can try to lure them down. Ravens may try to attack babies and children, and may also try to steal food. Some birds also seem to like to harass small animals like rabbits, cavies, and baby birds. You can set an above ground meeting zone, statue garden or zoo (walled in to protect from kidnappers, if you like). Include some food stockpiles that do not accept barrels, so food is accessible. Put lots of cage traps in and around the bait zone. If you catch on make sure that cage remains in the trap area, because other members of the group will repeatedly approach the caged one.

Birds suck.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh no! I glance back and blue ! everywhere, what has happened?

There is no report of anyone throwing the chair, as near as I can tell while going up a ramp someone dropped a chair? And it hit this lady and squished her baby. :smith:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Angela Christine posted:

There is no report of anyone throwing the chair, as near as I can tell while going up a ramp someone dropped a chair? And it hit this lady and squished her baby. :smith:

Clearly the baby should have been wearing a cloak. :colbert:

:iit:

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Angela Christine posted:

Denial, Anger, Depression, Acceptance.

Someeone needs to file a bug to make Toady include Bargaining with God(s) in the dwarven grief process.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
In DF2012, I was a big fan of settling in the untamed wilds as giant versions of mundane creatures were great sources of food and hilarity. On my first migrant wave, disaster struck in the form of a flock of Giant Keas. Keas on their own are real pains in the rear end who steal precious ammunition before I can even get it underground, but these Keas instead opted to pick up the children in the migrant wave and drop them several z-levels to their death. It was a great way for the new migrants to be welcomed to the fortress.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Thranguy posted:

Denial, Anger, Depression, Acceptance.

Someeone needs to file a bug to make Toady include Bargaining with God(s) in the dwarven grief process.

Your most skilled dwarf, finds a dead bird.

"No, gods! Take me instead!"

God: Offer accepted.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Angela Christine posted:

I had a couple random reports of people getting hit with beds on a ramp. No injuries in my case, but no idea what caused it.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Started a new fort on a new world. All was going good until I suddenly had a queen and no migrants showed up for 4 years. Anyone know what happened? In the end a giant forgotten beast made of snow came and killed everyone before a human pikeman who was at the trade depo stabbed its head off.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

You probably started as a steamrolled civilization.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Moridin920 posted:

I've made a huge mistake

What am I looking at here?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm running into an issue that I don't know how to solve. My brewer suddenly stopped working, giving me an alert that I was out of distillable food items, and yet when I checked the stocks I still had 50+ plump helmets able to be brewed. I have plenty of barrels, and none of the items are forbidden. Is this a bug, and am I completely hosed due to inability to produce booze?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm running into an issue that I don't know how to solve. My brewer suddenly stopped working, giving me an alert that I was out of distillable food items, and yet when I checked the stocks I still had 50+ plump helmets able to be brewed. I have plenty of barrels, and none of the items are forbidden. Is this a bug, and am I completely hosed due to inability to produce booze?

Check your Kitchen screen ([z] -> Kitchen) and make sure plump helmets are available for brewing.

e: if that doesn't work, go to the stocks screen, expand the list so you can see each individual plump helmet, then zoom in on one of them to see where it is. It might be being hauled from somewhere, or might belong to a merchant, or be in an inaccessible part of the map.

ee: Also, if your stills are set to take from a specific stockpile, they will not take from any OTHER stockpiles, so if you've been messing around with stockpile sourcing and providing nonsense, you may need to find where your plump helmets are and allow them to be given to the still.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 7, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Are all of your plump helmets in the same barrel? Can't think of any other common bug like this.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

scamtank posted:

You probably started as a steamrolled civilization.

Am I best remaking the whole world then?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Faithless posted:

Started a new fort on a new world. All was going good until I suddenly had a queen and no migrants showed up for 4 years. Anyone know what happened? In the end a giant forgotten beast made of snow came and killed everyone before a human pikeman who was at the trade depo stabbed its head off.

If some random dwarf became queen it might have been because your home civilization got wrecked and you were all that was left.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They are able to be brewed in the stock screen, and they're in several different barrels all in the same stockpile.

I've found that the few plump helmets I've been able to grow since this started happening (I'm very low on seeds) are able to be brewed, but none of the previous ones are.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Faithless posted:

Am I best remaking the whole world then?

If that particular civ was the only option in the embark screen (it being a pocket world or something), then maybe, yeah.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

They are able to be brewed in the stock screen, and they're in several different barrels all in the same stockpile.

I've found that the few plump helmets I've been able to grow since this started happening (I'm very low on seeds) are able to be brewed, but none of the previous ones are.

Is that stockpile [g]iving to the still? If so, is there also a barrel stock pile doing the same?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Met posted:

What am I looking at here?

imagine each of those those greenish blobs is a grey "T"

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Has there been a dfhack release for a version newer than 40.04? Having to choose between dfhack and random cave-ins interrupting poo poo every thirty seconds or no dfhack at all is hard. :(

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Zwingley posted:

Has there been a dfhack release for a version newer than 40.04? Having to choose between dfhack and random cave-ins interrupting poo poo every thirty seconds or no dfhack at all is hard. :(

Not yet. Every bug fix release requires DF Hack to have to semi-start over in terms of indexing memory locations. Semi, in that they do know the shape of the structures, so they shouldn't have to redo those, but they need to find where the structures have moved to in the new build.

And, as the predicted standard part of the cycle of Toady development, people start complaining about Toady fixing bugs so fast because it prevents 3rd party tools from working properly...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm pretty sure at one point water that made it to hell just instantly evaporated, don't know if that's still the case.

e: was thinking of Terraria :downs:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Iunnrais posted:

Not yet. Every bug fix release requires DF Hack to have to semi-start over in terms of indexing memory locations. Semi, in that they do know the shape of the structures, so they shouldn't have to redo those, but they need to find where the structures have moved to in the new build.

And, as the predicted standard part of the cycle of Toady development, people start complaining about Toady fixing bugs so fast because it prevents 3rd party tools from working properly...

That's fair, I suppose; I asked because it seemed like the dfhack releases for 40.04 and before came out quicker than the newer ones have been cooking for, now. I'm not remotely complaining about Toady fixing bugs, because preventing these random surface collapses is fantastic.

I guess the next logical question is if there's a way to disable the automatic pause for "something has collapsed on the surface!"? Because no it hasn't, Dwarf Fortress. :cripes:

e: vv Excellent. Thanks kindly! vv

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Zwingley posted:

I guess the next logical question is if there's a way to disable the automatic pause for "something has collapsed on the surface!"? Because no it hasn't, Dwarf Fortress. :cripes:

Yes: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Announcements.txt