Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

XboxPants posted:

I must have missed the part with the people in the jail, why did Drax call her a whore? That part really confused me with his whole "super-literal" thing, I couldn't figure out why he thought she was a literal prostitute (other than just to jam in some misogyny) - so if there was some reason for that, it'd help clear up what was probably my biggest problem with the entire movie.

Bad writing is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Just make his eyes glow as a single, solid color.

In Infinity Gauntlet you can't see his eyes at all for the most part; it's just blackness punctuated by specific moments where he gets a galaxy-like "glimmer" to emphasize his madness. I'd argue it's actually the defining visual characteristic of the character, at least in that story. I had hoped they would try to adapt it, but I understand why they probably didn't. I suppose they could still throw in a nod to it in Avengers, though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Gamora and her associates killed his family. "Whore" is a far kinder word than most people would use in that situation.

Drax is literal though and would only call her a whore if he knew her to have sex for cash.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

Drax is literal though and would only call her a whore if he knew her to have sex for cash.

But because Drax is predisposed to hating Gamora, he would be naturally inclined to believe every scurrilous rumor about her. So, by taking into consideration Gamora's notoriety and Drax's constant belly-aching, we can assume someone, somewhere called Gamora a whore in Drax's presence.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Dave posted:

Drax is literal so when all of the inmates at the Kyln called her a whore he was like 'ok, she's a whore'.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WarLocke posted:

Drax is literal so when all of the inmates at the Kyln called her a whore he was like 'ok, she's a whore'.

I actually caught it again with some friends and specifically paid attention to see if anyone did; I didn't hear anything, unless it was just part of the background mix I didn't catch.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

morestuff posted:

I actually caught it again with some friends and specifically paid attention to see if anyone did; I didn't hear anything, unless it was just part of the background mix I didn't catch.

A guy in the background yells it at her around the time one of the prisoners is pushing his face on the glass and screaming "That cell won't protect you!"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Lotish posted:

Presumably Ronan is like the Captain America or Power Man of the Kree and they just didn't go into it. I think a bit of explanation why Ronan himself is so powerful (or a comment that Kree as a whole are crazy strong if that's the case) would have gone a long way to establishing why he can do what he does.

Doesn't Drax call the Kree race weak like tissue paper? Though he's clearly biased.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A guy in the background yells it at her around the time one of the prisoners is pushing his face on the glass and screaming "That cell won't protect you!"

That's right before they do the pan shot to Drax sitting at a table and looking at Gamora/her cell, right?

In any case, that's a weird and almost misogynistic (I say 'almost' because Drax's delivery makes it clear he doesn't consider it a bad thing, because he's weird and literal like that) callback to make.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

...from killing her, not raping her. Which even then you can argue rape wouldn't her a 'whore'. Whatever, I really don't care about this point at all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Speleothing posted:

Doesn't Drax call the Kree race weak like tissue paper? Though he's clearly biased.
I think he is referring to the 'necros', Ronan's weird zombie troops. Who are maybe dead kree? Or dead some other species?

It is a minor complaint, but I would have appreciated some clarification on who is what race. Pink people are... Xandarian maybe? But then what race are the caucasian nova corps? Kree come in multiple colors, including red, so maybe some of the pink people are kree? Nebula is blue, so... kree? Gamora is...?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 7, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red posted:

Drax is supposedly strong, but Ronan is even stronger. I think we can infer, from his introduction, that his armor gives him his power - but that shouldn't allow him to wield the stone.

Drax really suffered from Worf syndrome where he's supposedly this really powerful guy but he doesn't actually beat up anyone that's remotely a threat.

Have him go toe to toe with (e.g.) Nebula and make it clear that he's a lot stronger but not as agile so she has a reason to depart.

The Dave posted:

...from killing her, not raping her. Which even then you can argue rape wouldn't her a 'whore'. Whatever, I really don't care about this point at all.

Both are on the table because of who's talking to whom and the setting (a prison).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Dave posted:

How much more clearer would you like that to be pointed out?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Slugworth posted:

I think he is referring to the 'necros', Ronan's weird zombie troops. Who are maybe dead kree? Or dead some other species?

According to random unverified nonsense I read on the internet I think his troops were supposed to be Sakaarans, i.e. from Planet Hulk planet. (originally planned to be Badoon)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

How much more clearer would you like that to be pointed out?

I would like a youtube rip actually. Not I just quickly read that sentence and thought he was only mentioning the quoted line. My deepest, most sincere, apologies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

It is a minor complaint, but I would have appreciated some clarification on who is what race. Pink people are... Xandarian maybe? But then what race are the caucasian nova corps? Kree come in multiple colors, including red, so maybe some of the pink people are kree? Nebula is blue, so... kree? Gamora is...?

I think Xandar is supposed to be a multi-species socety, dominated by the caucasian-looking humanoids.

Going by comics, Gamora is the last member of an entirely different species of greenskinned people. Although I understand your confusion. Drax was changed to grey for this very reason. Nebula is... :shrug: No wiki will help.

XboxPants posted:

According to random unverified nonsense I read on the internet I think his troops were supposed to be Sakaarans, i.e. from Planet Hulk planet. (originally planned to be Badoon)

They're called Sakaarans in the movie during the Cherry Bomb montage.

"But won't it be filled with hundreds of Sakaaran warriors?"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nebula is... :shrug: No wiki will help.

I don't know that we know where Nebula is from. When Thanos was dead, she used her gang, Thanos's stuff, and Skrull alliance to go apeshit on the galaxy before being put down.

When Thanos came back from the dead, he got his hands on the Infinity Gauntlet, and used it to turn her into a scarecrow, as a warning.

I think it's more likely that she happens to be blue-skinned, and stole his stuff - and probably got a lot of mileage out of claiming they were related.

Wikipedia claims she's a Luphomoid, though I'm not familiar with them. Thanos is from Titan, so he's pretty much immortal - not that he couldn't have a child with someone else.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Slugworth posted:

And don't forget that Yondu, while blue, is not Kree, but Centurian! :haw:

I actually really liked that there were all kinds of random aliens and they didn't make it a big point to bother detailing specifically who was what. Made it feel like a big wild zoo, like a real world with no well defined limits.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

XboxPants posted:

And don't forget that Yondu, while blue, is not Kree, but Centurian! :haw:

I actually really liked that there were all kinds of random aliens and they didn't make it a big point to bother detailing specifically who was what. Made it feel like a big wild zoo, like a real world with no well defined limits.

Much like the Mos Eisley Cantina scene from the original Star Wars, but not as constrained by budget and SFX.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Much like the Mos Eisley Cantina scene from the original Star Wars, but not as constrained by budget and SFX.

Yes, good comparison.

Honestly, it may have been a bit heavy-handed at times, but I think they established about as many pieces of setting in this one movie as they probably did in every other Marvel movie up to this point and mostly it worked great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irish Joe posted:

Gamora and her associates killed his family. "Whore" is a far kinder word than most people would use in that situation.

Gamora, Nebula, and the Thanos group had nothing to do with killing Drax' family. If she had been responsible Drax would have attacked her the first chance he got instead of meandering his way down to the shower. Ronan and his ship of death are the ones who killed Drax' family.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"But won't it be filled with hundreds of Sakaaran warriors?"

"I think of Sakaraans as paper people."

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

CelticPredator posted:

You saw "Star Lord"/.

Oh. Derp, yeah that makes sense. In my defence, Star and Stan look very similar when written with big curly writing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ronan doesn't have a big, genocidal beef with Xandar in the comics, does he?

The Kree blood feud in the comics seems to be largely directed against the Skrulls and the Shiar. This film largely straight up swapped Nova for one of them.

He also chilled out a whole bunch and has fought on the goodguys side a fair amount.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 7, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

ShineDog posted:

The Kree blood feud in the comics seems to be largely directed against the Skrulls and the Shiar. This film largely straight up swapped Nova for one of them.

He also chilled out a whole bunch and has fought on the goodguys side a fair amount.

Yeah I just got done reading Annihilation and Ronan is pretty different (and his agenda). Actually a pretty badass hero IMO. Likeable and sort of reminds me of Dredd.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ShineDog posted:

You kind of have to, since neither the Skrulls and the Shiar are available for Marvel. poo poo man, they can't even use the Brood Dire Wraiths Phalanx Badoon. There's a reason they're using third-tier obscure alien races. Maybe we'll get Kymellians one day. :haw:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

XboxPants posted:

You kind of have to, since neither the Skrulls and the Shiar are available for Marvel. poo poo man, they can't even use the Brood Dire Wraiths Phalanx Badoon. There's a reason they're using third-tier obscure alien races. Maybe we'll get Kymellians one day. :haw:

They can use the Skrulls. Apparently only specific characters, like the Super Skrull, are off limits. But I guess they don't really need them, since they have a pretty specific gimmick, and without making an infiltration story, they just feel out of place.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Unlucky7 posted:

Friendship is magic, up to and including resolving the main conflict by holding hands. Honestly, I didn't mind too much. I mean, there are worse messages, and I guess I am a sentimental idiot at heart.

As someone with 4- and 2-year old daughters who are absolutely enamored currently with a certain show of that name, I did giggle when the Power of Friendship came to play such an important role.

S-Alpha posted:

I don't know why, but holy poo poo, whistle controlled arrow iaido might be my new favorite fantasy form of attack. My theater absolutely blew up in cheers at that scene.

That was great, and as far as I'm concerned it was an homage to knife-missiles from the Culture books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sarcastro posted:

That was great, and as far as I'm concerned it was an homage to knife-missiles from the Culture books.

He has been wielded that since he first appeared in 69.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He has been wielded that since he first appeared in 69.

What IS it? I mean the movie never says other than showing that everyone who knew about it in-universe was scared as poo poo over it.

VVV: So basically not explained any better than in the movie...?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 7, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WarLocke posted:

What IS it? I mean the movie never says other than showing that everyone who knew about it in-universe was scared as poo poo over it.

In the comic its an arrow made of an element that can be controlled by whistling.
Space magic basically.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 7, 2014

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
While I found the movie immense fun, I gotta say, there's no story or plot in it, and it doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would.
It seems we've come to an age of blockbusters where we just make plots out of shorthands where due to their familiarity we just accept them and get on with it; so sure, the Orb will be lost in some ruin, and sure Drax will come along the team now, because we've seen this setups so many times before we just skip to their ultimate goal, like how people read articles nowadays, we skip the details.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I thought there was a scene that implied that the planet Quill found the orb on had been destroyed by the Infinity Stone?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JohnSherman posted:

I thought there was a scene that implied that the planet Quill found the orb on had been destroyed by the Infinity Stone?

There was a giant robot that was powered by the gem and destroyed the planet in the video but that doesn't explain how it ended up in a storage facility (since according to Quill's magic 3D graph thing it was a building he was entering).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

computer parts posted:

There was a giant robot that was powered by the gem and destroyed the planet in the video but that doesn't explain how it ended up in a storage facility (since according to Quill's magic 3D graph thing it was a building he was entering).

We already know that they have been spread across the universe.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

While I found the movie immense fun, I gotta say, there's no story or plot in it, and it doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would.

There is both a story ("we all must deal with the loss of our original family by trusting in others and forging a new family") and a plot ("AUDIENCE_INSERT must stop EVIL_MAN from getting BAD_THING"); what are you even talking about?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hell, all the Ronan/infinity stone stuff is basically background filler and the real movie is watching all these broken people fix each other by coming together as a family.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Everblight posted:

There is both a story ("we all must deal with the loss of our original family by trusting in others and forging a new family") and a plot ("AUDIENCE_INSERT must stop EVIL_MAN from getting BAD_THING"); what are you even talking about?

He's just demonstrating that he is a Cool Counterculture Dude Smarter Than Everyone because he doesn't like POPULAR_THING.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Everblight posted:

Yes there's certainly a story but it's pretty clearly just a backdrop for the fun characters, rather than the other way around.

That's not even to say that's neccesarily a bad thing, but it is a bad thing if you were looking for a rich deep twisty story. Ideally if it was a perfect movie the story coulda been a little richer but not every movie can be perfect. As it is, trying for a deeper plot would have probably been a bridge too far and I'm pretty happy with what we got.

edit:

WarLocke posted:

Hell, all the Ronan/infinity stone stuff is basically background filler and the real movie is watching all these broken people fix each other by coming together as a family.

Right, this exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

There was a giant robot that was powered by the gem

(comic stuff)It was a space god that was wielding the gem..

• Locked thread