Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

I've been going through some old cosmic Marvel stuff and got to a gem I had never heard of by the name of Cyberspace 3000

I thought at first this was definitely Liefeld until I saw the credits.. I did a quick Google image search for Steve Tappin, as I'd never heard of him, and I found, uh, this. Apparently from 2000AD.

Is this good? Is this bad? Is it the same Steve Tappin seen above? I... I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That's just so abstract I'm not sure it could judged as good or bad. It just is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senor Candle posted:

That's just so abstract I'm not sure it could judged as good or bad. It just is.

If you ain't seen a Celtic warrior having a warp spasm, you ain't seen poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is this good? Is this bad? Is it the same Steve Tappin seen above? I... I don't know.
drat. It's like that alternate reality Hulk from Planetary. :byodood:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought at first this was definitely Liefeld until I saw the credits.. I did a quick Google image search for Steve Tappin, as I'd never heard of him, and I found, uh, this. Apparently from 2000AD.

KANEDAAAAAA!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's something that Slaine does regularly. He looks like a normal muscle barbarian most of the time, but then flips out and has warp spasms that twist and distort his body in ridiculous ways. As a single image, it looks weird, but in the context of the story, the reader would understand what's happening. Here's a Bisley version:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is this good?

It's definitely not one of the best warp spasms ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Now I kinda want to read Slaine

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
IRL me before and after my morning caffeine

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

It's definitely not one of the best warp spasms ever.

For context, here's the "Before" pic from this Fabry:

It's a Celtic thing dating back to Cuchulainn (on whom Slaine is very closely based). The Tain describes it thusly:

"The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tange of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage."

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
My namesake is also described as the most handsome of all great Irish warriors. :allears:

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
Requiem: Vampire Knight is about as goth as you can get, but the visuals are stunning. Many of the panels need to be on the side of a van.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bastard posted:

Requiem: Vampire Knight is about as goth as you can get, but the visuals are stunning. Many of the panels need to be on the side of a van.
It's what the Warhammer games would look like within the Warhammer universe.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pat Mills knows how to write for crazy artists:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Has anybody ever worked out whether the best artists are actually more successful? I mean "best" in terms of artistic quality, not just popularity. I love Bill Sienkiewicz, but I could easily see that many/most people would find his work weird and unpleasant.

That's impossible to measure because you'll find people in this very thread who think Dillon and Ramos are good artists.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

warp spasm

Shorn of context, I thought a "warp spasm" might be something from WH40K that was similar to the way buddy was drawn, and buddy was drawn that way to emphasise his alienating brutality. Kind of like how Fist of the North Star drew dudes as gigantic to show they were tough and monstrously self-important.

But nope it's an actual mythological thing (that sounds like it was written to describe a rage of alienating brutality). Viking bearshirts got nothing on a warp spasm. Holy O'gently caress.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that pun.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Clint Langley does big machines better than anybody. I've always had a weak spot for this particular body of Mek-Quake from A.B.C. Warriors:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Clint Langley does big machines better than anybody. I've always had a weak spot for this particular body of Mek-Quake from A.B.C. Warriors:

That's a blatantly obvious filtered photo of Krupp's giant digger.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Please tell me this guy fights Two-Tank Omen at some point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Um, that is obviously facing the opposite direction check and mate.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

fatherboxx posted:

I love Nemesis so much. Sometimes, I'll loan my copies out to people without any explanation and just wait for them to come back baffled and/or in awe.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

funtax posted:

I love Nemesis so much. Sometimes, I'll loan my copies out to people without any explanation and just wait for them to come back baffled and/or in awe.

Thanks to this thread, between this guy and "two-tank-omen" I have discovered the greatest potential crossover of all time.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It is. I love it anyway. Who hasn't wanted to control a machine like that with reins?

Have a picture of Ikon, the robot wielding hammer and sickle on top of the digger:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

funtax posted:

That's something that Slaine does regularly. He looks like a normal muscle barbarian most of the time, but then flips out and has warp spasms that twist and distort his body in ridiculous ways. As a single image, it looks weird, but in the context of the story, the reader would understand what's happening. Here's a Bisley version:

Ohh. Well, that explains a LOT.

I still wonder if it's the same Steve Tippin. I'm going to guess probably not.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Posting good art for a change.

Strange Tales 152

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jedit posted:

Clint Langley is the British Greg Land who uses his pub buddies as models

His art on Slaine is so overfiltered, uncanny valley-ish and borderline fumetti it transcends into something wonderful

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like that he kept the flash/lighting reflection in the screaming severed head's eyes so we can be sure it is a photograph.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Clint Langley's ABC Warriors is the only comic I've ever bought solely for the art, which is weird because I usually hate computer colouring. Somehow, though, it seems to work in the context of big robots beating the poo poo out each other and firing big guns.

I wish he didn't use Gaussian Blur, though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that pun.

The Spanish inquisitor?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

blarzgh posted:

The Spanish inquisitor?

The main villain in Nemesis is Tomás de Torquemada (named after and based on, but not actually supposed to be the infamous Spanish Inquisitor):

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think my favorite part of Nemesis is that at first he's just a mysterious driver in a souped up space car who fights the establishment. Then they finally show him and he looks like this:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

EVS

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lurdiak posted:

I think my favorite part of Nemesis is that at first he's just a mysterious driver in a souped up space car who fights the establishment. Then they finally show him and he looks like this:

And from then on, all bets are off, and it goes....really weird places.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

funtax posted:

The main villain in Nemesis is Tomás de Torquemada (named after and based on, but not actually supposed to be the infamous Spanish Inquisitor):

He's actually the reincarnation of the Grand Inquisitor.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

funtax posted:

But can you Torquemada anything? :v:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I, uh, what

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Man artists just love putting Jessica Drew into that pose. It's really creepy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's really really really obviously a naked woman sketch that had superhero stuff drawn on after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's really really really obviously a naked woman sketch that had superhero stuff drawn on after the fact.

aka a Milo Manara superheroine picture.