Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, the union is asking its members to follow all the rules exactly by the book. That's how this kind of labor action works. But keep living in a fantasy land.

Yes, they are launching a work-to-rule strike in protest of being told not to murder people. This is unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

meat sweats posted:

Yes, they are launching a work-to-rule strike in protest of being told not to murder people. This is unacceptable.

Of course that's not how they see it.

quote:

“I think the mayor needs to support New York City’s police officers — unequivocally say it, and unequivocally say resisting arrest hurts everyone, police officers and citizens alike, and will not be tolerated,” Lynch said.

But sure, the NYPD is mad they can't murder people and if only we took their union away (and their rights to political speech and free assembly of course), it would be impossible for them engage in work-slowdowns or other labor actions. Without the unions, police corruption would disappear and all of a sudden without their union reps telling them to murder people, cops wouldn't harass black people or use excessive force.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I think your obsession with the union being the problem rather than the inherent power and lack of oversight is a little off. The police already have so much political power they don't really need a union, and even if they were some how stripped of the right to have one they'd just lobby as a group anyways and have just as much political power and "solidarity". The existence of unions isn't the problem here.

The union serves as a bulwark to shield the officers from culpability for any manner of crimes committed in the line of duty, and further serves as their political lobbying arm to try to ensure politicians friendly to themselves are elected. For instance, the person who killed Garner isn't even on leave, let alone unpaid leave. There's innumerable examples beyond that.

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, the union is asking its members to follow all the rules exactly by the book.

Ah well, okay, problem solved then!

Make sure not to google PBA Garner right now, lest your idyllic view of police unions be penetrated by reality.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arkane posted:

The union serves as a bulwark to shield the officers from culpability for any manner of crimes committed in the line of duty, and further serves as their political lobbying arm to try to ensure politicians friendly to themselves are elected. For instance, the person who killed Garner isn't even on leave, let alone unpaid leave. There's innumerable examples beyond that.

Ah well, okay, problem solved then!

Make sure not to google PBA Garner right now, lest your idyllic view of police unions be penetrated by reality.

You like meat head, are ignoring the fact that police get away with all that poo poo without a strong union. I don't deny the unions get used by corrupt cops to shield themselves, I'm just saying that taking away police unions doesn't solve the problems you want it to solve. Police can lobby without a union, police get paid leave for killing someone without a real union, police work together to subvert regulation without a real union.

Getting rid of unions won't solve the problems of police corruption and it won't stop police using their power and "good old boy" networks to influence policy. However, the more that the conversation is focused on unions the less the conversation is focused on meaningful police reforms.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Does he mean resisting arrest or "resisting arrest"?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

That forum is absolutely terrifying.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cichlid the Loach posted:

That forum is absolutely terrifying.

It's apparently overrun by malware too, I got a popover asking me to install a new Video Player for Chrome as soon as I entered.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

LorneReams posted:

Does he mean resisting arrest or "resisting arrest"?

Take a guess.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

meat sweats posted:

A police subunion is directly threatening public safety in the name of being able to continue illegally abusing people.

But remember, all unions are always good!

How hosed is it that the most powerful unions in this country represent those who need them the least?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

How hosed is it that the most powerful unions in this country represent those who need them the least?

That is more or less what you'd expect if you think about it. It's basically saying powerful groups have power.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Resisting Arrest is a bullshit law that should be stricken from the books.

If you're guilty, it only makes good goddamn sense you'd resist arrest.
If you're innocent, it also only makes good sense you'd resist arrest.

Who wants to be arrested? Nobody absolutely nobody. Not one single person ever wrote "get arrested" in their New Years resolutions list.

But it seems like a lot of stupid police rationales will drop that phrase. If we take it away, wouldn't that be helpful? Plus, if police have a good motive for taking you down, you'll be guilty of the actual crime instead of just being able to tack bullshit charges on top.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Cuntpunch posted:

Tell us about that time you were charged with resisting arrest, Cuntpunch.

This union discussion is pretty moot for a lot of the U.S. since a significant amount of police officers work in non-union and anti-collective bargaining states or jurisdictions. And the notion that officers have "powerful associations" that replace unions in those cases is patently false since they have zero power as far as the employer is concerned in employee decisions.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cuntpunch posted:

Who wants to be arrested? Nobody absolutely nobody. Not one single person ever wrote "get arrested" in their New Years resolutions list.

But it seems like a lot of stupid police rationales will drop that phrase. If we take it away, wouldn't that be helpful? Plus, if police have a good motive for taking you down, you'll be guilty of the actual crime instead of just being able to tack bullshit charges on top.

What? That's stupidity. Resisting arrest only makes sense if you're guilty. If you're innocent, you'll cooperate and either not get in trouble, or get in less trouble than you would if you had resisted. The way the system is supposed to work, you argue your case in front of a judge and a jury, not the cops.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Cuntpunch posted:

Doing this suggest that police default behavior should be using force to take people into custody. I would think we would be hoping for the opposite. "Put your hands behind your back" is a better first attempt than throwing people to the pavement. I don't understand why we would want to create the expectation that you're going to run and the police are going to tackle you.

Now, where I think you should be going with that line of thinking, is that you shouldn't be able to be arrested for resisting arrest. That is, resisting must always be a subordinate charge to some other valid arrest.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Nah, then it's resisting arrest for disorderly conduct.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cuntpunch posted:

So if a cop tries to arrest you for DUI, but you're not drunk, you should be able to gun the cop down and be exonerated?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SedanChair posted:

So if a cop tries to arrest you for DUI, but you're not drunk, you should be able to gun the cop down and be exonerated?

There is already an analog called murder. I'm unsure what the analog for "Non violent resisting arrest" is?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LorneReams posted:

There is already an analog called murder. I'm unsure what the analog for "Non violent resisting arrest" is?

So you're saying that if we took away resisting arrest, police would just charge people with assault against a peace officer instead?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're saying that if we took away resisting arrest, police would just charge people with assault against a peace officer instead?

They don't already? If it's not enough to be assault, I just assumed resisting was used. The few times I've been involved with a resisting arrest charge (not me, but people I was standing with), it seemed to be because the person didn't turn the right way after being struck and knocked down. In fact, some of lawyers straight-up said that an officer is almost forced to add a resisting arrest charge to legitimize the result of a take-down.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

SedanChair posted:

I'm not talking "waving a handgun" - because that's not resisting arrest that is *assault*. Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't there a pretty good precedent here that a lot of general police abuse gets filed under 'dealing with people resisting arrest' when they've done nothing particularly aggressive, threatening, or serious?

My point here is that "hey he didn't surrender when I asked him politely to do so" is an entirely reasonable and logical response. But when given the excuse of "why did I taze him? because he was resisting arrest" it seems to be an excuse that is egregiously out of place with the modern system and seems to be more of a burden then a benefit.

There's a fun anecdote here, I suppose, to put things into perspective.

I live with someone who grew up behind the iron curtain. Had neighbors 'disappear' in the middle of the night. At one point saw someone from the village shot down by the police. She was called for jury duty recently and one of the charges for the trial she was a candidate for was 'resisting arrest'. When it came time to ask if anyone felt they couldn't serve impartially, she explained her childhood and that, in her upbringing, you'd be a *fool* not to resist arrest. I'm not saying that america's law enforcement is quite at soviet-secret-police levels of terror, but what I'm pointing out here is that when the system begins to look corrupt, resisting arrest makes a lot of sense regardless of guilt.

Insisting on a system of "if you're innocent just trust the police to do the right thing and play along with them" is naive. It's right up the same alley as "if you have nothing to hide, then you won't mind being spied on."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's less naive than "let's reconfigure the system so that it's legal not to comply with a law enforcement officer"? Much as I would like that to be the case, I think that's always going to fall under "civil disobedience." LEOs have the right to detain those they believe to be breaking the law.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Changing "resisting arrest" so cops actually have to prove assault beyond a reasonable doubt might go some way towards eliminating the situation where it's automatically tacked on to every arrest so that you're convicted even if you're acquitted. That plus universal body cameras would be a big immediate step.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

They do have to prove resisting arrest beyond a reasonable doubt. The trouble is, it's a big charge and it's going to come down to your word against theirs, so it's probably better to plead out for time served plus 30 days suspended and 40 hours of community service or some anger management BS than to go to trial and risk nine months in jail. That's a bigger problem with our justice system though, and really isn't the fault of the police.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

SedanChair posted:

It's less naive than "let's reconfigure the system so that it's legal not to comply with a law enforcement officer"? Much as I would like that to be the case, I think that's always going to fall under "civil disobedience." LEOs have the right to detain those they believe to be breaking the law.

Absolutely they have the right to detain. But at the same point, 'resisting arrest' is literally a crime *without a crime*. Has anyone ever been arrested *solely* for (suspicion of) resisting arrest? No, it's a complete non-sequitur. Have *any* warrants ever been issued on the charge of 'resisting arrest' without prior charge?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
You can resist an officer arresting someone else. You can also resist an officer lawfully detaining you even if you've done nothing wrong.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

deratomicdog posted:

You can resist an officer arresting someone else.

How does this even happen without crossing into 'actual' crimes like assault?

Hanging out at the park when a cop rolls up and states that your friend is under arrest and you take off at a full sprint and then get arrested on charges of resisting?

Officer cuffing your buddy and you refuse to put your hands behind your back?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cuntpunch posted:

How does this even happen without crossing into 'actual' crimes like assault?
Refusing to be lawfully detained and/or refusing to gently caress off when told to gently caress off basically.

In my own Sunshine State the law reads thusly:

quote:

843.02 Resisting officer without violence to his or her person.—Whoever shall resist, obstruct, or oppose any officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9); member of the Florida Commission on Offender Review or any administrative aide or supervisor employed by the commission; county probation officer; parole and probation supervisor; personnel or representative of the Department of Law Enforcement; or other person legally authorized to execute process in the execution of legal process or in the lawful execution of any legal duty, without offering or doing violence to the person of the officer, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Refusing to be lawfully detained and/or refusing to gently caress off when told to gently caress off basically.

In my own Sunshine State the law reads thusly:

FYI, this is what you will be charged with if you don't stop recording them when they tell you to. Basically not following an order by an officer (legal or not) can lead to this.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

LorneReams posted:

FYI, this is what you will be charged with if you don't stop recording them when they tell you to. Basically not following an order by an officer (legal or not) can lead to this.
This alone should be more than reason enough to strike that law from the books :wtc:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, this guy (who is from Florida) got arrested quite a few times with that charge and IIRC got it thrown out every time.

After the first time, he started a blog:

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Honestly resisting arrest should only be a thing for fully uniformed officers and even then it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Plainsclothes officers could be confused as just some prick who has a pair of handcuffs and is saying 'I'm a cop!'

PrBacterio posted:

This alone should be more than reason enough to strike that law from the books :wtc:

I believe that a court recently ruled that cops can't tell people to stop recording them, as it's a demonstration of their First Amendment rights.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 7, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

E-Tank posted:

I believe that a court recently ruled that cops can't tell people to stop recording them, as it's a demonstration of their First Amendment rights.

It's been for a while, but it doesn't stop police from confiscating/erasing/breaking devices, and arresting you for complaining about it.

Hell, they sent a SWAT raid to someones house because of it.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

E-Tank posted:

In many states you can still be charged with resisting arrest for resisting an illegal arrest.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

What? That's stupidity. Resisting arrest only makes sense if you're guilty. If you're innocent, you'll cooperate and either not get in trouble, or get in less trouble than you would if you had resisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

If by cooperate you mean don't try and punch a cop trying to arrest you, yeah. If you mean you actually talk to a police officer without a lawyer present, then that'll gently caress you over.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Remember the Bear Patrol on the Simpsons?

quote:

Pierce, 56, a former Battle Creek police sergeant, recently told the township board, “I have preached a vision and the Lord put me here for a reason.”

The show of force, he told the Free Press, is necessary because of the threats of terrorism, barricaded gunmen and mass shootings.

quote:

Pierce’s critics say there have been other examples of aggressive policing lately, and question why Pierce needs nearly three dozen, non-certified reserve officers to protect a population of 3,900 with the most serious crimes generally theft and burglary.

The department also has two Humvees and two armored personnel carriers received free of charge from the U.S. Department of Defense for a township with only four full-time officers.

But it isn't just terrorists and mass shootings in this little town...

quote:

Until a couple of years ago, the police in the community were a comfortable presence, providing a gentle reminder to pay attention to the rules. The township employed two or three full-time officers. Few speeding tickets were issued, residents recall. Instead, the officer would flash his lights and tell the motorist to slow down.

Jacobs remembers, as a teenager, being picked up for drinking. The officer gave him a lecture and handed him over to his parents.

But shortly after the last Barry Township police chief, Mark Kik, died in 2009, things began to change. There were more reports of teenage drivers being pulled over for minor transgressions, like dice hanging from the rearview mirror. Cars were towed even when owners offered to move them.

Resident Pattie Cheney said she was driving home around midnight from her job as a bartender in a neighboring townin August 2012 when she was pulled over by township police for expired license plate tags. She had purchased new tags the week before, but it had been raining, so she left them on her kitchen cupboard. The officers determined the tags had been purchased, but then asked her to step out of the car to do a sobriety test and take a Breathalyzer. She passed both. They then asked to search her car.

“I said, ‘This is crazy, you’re not searching my car. I want to go home.’ ”

The officers said they were bringing in a drug-sniffing dog and would not allow her to leave. More police arrived. The dog, police claimed, indicated that “maybe’’ there were drugs. They searched her car, found nothing and agreed to let her go.

“It was unbelievable,” she said.

That’s the kind of episode that infuriates residents.

“These cops came into town with a vendetta, thinking they were going to tame this town,” said longtime resident Steve Lincks, who lives in the apartment above Tujax Tavern. “This town was tamed 40 years ago.”

quote:

Early morning May 10, Jack Nadwornik stepped behind Tujax Tavern, the bar and restaurant he has owned for 30 years in this small, western Michigan town.

Nadwornik, out drinking with friends for his 58th birthday, urinated in a corner of the empty parking lot because the bar was locked up.

Within seconds, two Barry Township police cars and three officers — two of them unpaid reserves — confronted him as he was zipping up his pants. What happened next is up for debate: Police said he resisted arrest. Nadwornick said he didn’t, and a waitress who was leaving work agreed.

What everyone does agree on is the aftermath: Nadwornik had a broken hand from a police baton, bloody elbows, and he had been kneed in the back. He was handcuffed, jailed and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, a two-year felony.

The townspeople are fed up with all the bears peeing neighbors!

quote:

“People aren’t disciplined the way they used to be,” he said. “We’ve been taking for granted this life we lead, but it’s changing, and Victor is here to clean up the mess.”

Don Mohn, 77, Delores’ husband, is particularly incensed that people are upset over tavern owner Nadwornik’s arrest. “What? Are people just supposed to be allowed to pee in the streets? He’s a great police chief. It’s been lax for too long.”
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308040024

Today he quit. Saying the media attention was impacting his ability to lead: http://www.freep.com/article/20140807/NEWS06/308070218/barry-township-police-chief-quits

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 8, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
No, you mean it impacts your ability to try and start a campaign of intimidation against the populace when everyone else realizes you're doing it? :stare:

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Cops blows through stop sign, hits sober driver, fabricates report to charge her with DUI while she is being carted off to the hospital: http://fox13now.com/2014/08/07/sober-driver-arrested-for-dui-when-deputy-blows-through-stop-sign-hits-her/

The officer involved has not been fired, and has instead spent the last year on vacation drawing disability pay for injuries he magically discovered several days after the crash that he was at fault for: http://fox6now.com/2014/05/01/sober-driver-arrested-for-owi-when-deputy-crashes-into-her/

The entire police department has closed ranks around the person who did this: http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/driver-hurt-in-crash-caused-by-deputy-to-sue-sheriffs-officials-b99306071z1-266194061.html

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
It's pretty clear from the articles the cop involved in the wreck is different from the cop who charged the other driver with DUI. Also they work for completely different agencies.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

meat sweats posted:

Cops blows through stop sign, hits sober driver, fabricates report to charge her with DUI while she is being carted off to the hospital: http://fox13now.com/2014/08/07/sober-driver-arrested-for-dui-when-deputy-blows-through-stop-sign-hits-her/

The officer involved has not been fired, and has instead spent the last year on vacation drawing disability pay for injuries he magically discovered several days after the crash that he was at fault for: http://fox6now.com/2014/05/01/sober-driver-arrested-for-owi-when-deputy-crashes-into-her/

The entire police department has closed ranks around the person who did this: http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/driver-hurt-in-crash-caused-by-deputy-to-sue-sheriffs-officials-b99306071z1-266194061.html

Naturally, he's been in trouble for falsifying records before. The sheriff tried to fire him in 2007 for pre-signing citations which would 1) then be completed by someone else and 2) submitted as evidence in court. The union review board had him reinstated because reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
If anyone has a PoliceOne account, I'd be interested in the text of this article: https://secure.policeone.com/previe...for-your-career

• Locked thread