Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Ugh, the cooldown change SUCKS. When they're low enough, you use your abilities as much as possible since it's always just a short time until they're ready again. When they're too long, you tend to hoard cooldowns, and end up using them much less than even the increased cooldown forces you to because you'll probably need them to save your life at some point. STOP KILLING FUN RED5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Ugh, the cooldown change SUCKS. When they're low enough, you use your abilities as much as possible since it's always just a short time until they're ready again. When they're too long, you tend to hoard cooldowns, and end up using them much less than even the increased cooldown forces you to because you'll probably need them to save your life at some point. STOP KILLING FUN RED5.

Yeah, Phobos stated this was because they wanted you to use weapons more... which would be nice if there were more weapon types to choose from. Games like WoW can get away with weapon-types not being that important because its all ability based.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah, Phobos stated this was because they wanted you to use weapons more... which would be nice if there were more weapon types to choose from. Games like WoW can get away with weapon-types not being that important because its all ability based.

I'm sorry Red5. Of course. How selfish of me. Let's do all the things that you wanna do.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thor-Stryker posted:

This game is like the manchild of MMOs: it's been sitting in the basement for waaay too long, and when it finally leaves it's nowhere near as mature as it should be.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

dromer posted:

This game is like the manchild of MMOs: it's been sitting in the basement for waaay too long, and when it finally leaves it's nowhere near as mature as it should be.

Firefall: Not as mature as it should be

Ed: in retrospect the current title is pretty fitting.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

dromer posted:

Wrong, manchildren don't come out of their basements. :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Recluse_thumping.jpg Never got hit once

Thought I was being clever by staying out of sight and raining AOE death down on a huge area that was apparently ~6 levels higher than I was, but only ended up making like 1k for the Thumper objective so I guess the game is onto my little tricks :sigh:

edit - i mean it was 100xp or so per enemy killed so it balanced out in the end and was worthwhile and all but still

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 7, 2014

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I just got through playing with the fixed Fusion Cannon Nova alt fire. I had already spec'd my cannon for AOE since it makes ground hits a bit more reliable and it made the Nova have a radius of over 6m. For reference Missile Shot now does about half or 3/4ths the damage of the Nova and only has a radius around 4m. That's not even mentioning the crazy knockback it has, it's really fun to knock an enemy up into the air and them mid-air them like some sort of plasma skeet shoot, or knocking enemies into the many lava pits in Devil's Tusk.

I still think they need to reverse the change they made in beta and allow you to once again hold the charge until you release the button, but this is a step in the right direction and greatly improves the Fusion.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

I just got through playing with the fixed Fusion Cannon Nova alt fire. I had already spec'd my cannon for AOE since it makes ground hits a bit more reliable and it made the Nova have a radius of over 6m. For reference Missile Shot now does about half or 3/4ths the damage of the Nova and only has a radius around 4m. That's not even mentioning the crazy knockback it has, it's really fun to knock an enemy up into the air and them mid-air them like some sort of plasma skeet shoot, or knocking enemies into the many lava pits in Devil's Tusk.

I still think they need to reverse the change they made in beta and allow you to once again hold the charge until you release the button, but this is a step in the right direction and greatly improves the Fusion.
Yeah. I logged in today to check it out and mine is 8m. Can't wait to kill myself constantly again.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I've been back to playing this for a few days after months off from the beta.

The job board thing is pretty bad. I think a great deal of it has to do with the algorithm that is selecting an area to use for your quest - as far as I can tell, after completing a step of the quest, the system tries to find a nearby empty area that isn't being used by another player for their jobs, then generates the content and points you there? In any case, it's shunting me like anywhere from 500m to 1km away and making me run all over the place. Then after you're done with the entire quest you're probably in the middle of nowhere and have to backtrack to the job board to pick up another quest which will, once again, shunt you to a faraway place. I have a permanent LGV and a boosted glider pad, so that cuts down on some of the frustration, but it still kinda sucks having to drive back and forth over the same patch of Sertao over and over again. And the XP from each job is also kind of lovely.

The other sources of content each have a myriad of problems. ARES missions appear to be far rarer now than they used to be, I think? Thumping exists, but it's extremely lazily-made content. You slap down a thumper and then just shoot waves of bugs for a bit till it's time to send it back - good for some instant action, but you can only do it so many times in a row before it gets boring. You can loop the instanced missions for a decent XP payout, which I tried and enjoyed up to a point, but the thought of having to play BWA over and over and over again on each frame to level it up is totally putting me off the game. Sure, it's better than job boards, but it's so repetitive I just find myself logging off to play another game instead.

The crafting system that previous versions of the game were built around feels nigh-on useless right now. Research costs are absurd, and there's no point crafting decent gear for yourself when you can just buy it for a fraction of the cost. The Red Bean prices for stuff in the store are pretty drat high.

I want to like this game. I really, honestly do - it's got jetpacks and shooty bits and explosions and numbers flying everywhere. But I don't feel like there's actually enough to do besides grind the same stuff repeatedly. Am I missing something or is that all there is?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I'm in the same boat. I think that they in their unwitting decision to make Jobs unique for each player, they have switched off the lizard brain part of the MMO process. Collecting bear-asses may not be innovative but it makes people go crazy with grinding and leveling. Running around for 2-5 minutes at a time is boring and like Kessel said, makes me want to log off and play another game.

It's just not fun.

I think it says a lot about the Jobs when people would rather grind the same instance instead of doing Jobs.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Guys, can we just not talk about Firefall for a while? I feel like that's all we ever talk about anymore.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Kessel posted:

The job board thing is pretty bad. I think a great deal of it has to do with the algorithm that is selecting an area to use for your quest - as far as I can tell, after completing a step of the quest, the system tries to find a nearby empty area that isn't being used by another player for their jobs, then generates the content and points you there? In any case, it's shunting me like anywhere from 500m to 1km away and making me run all over the place. Then after you're done with the entire quest you're probably in the middle of nowhere and have to backtrack to the job board to pick up another quest which will, once again, shunt you to a faraway place. I have a permanent LGV and a boosted glider pad, so that cuts down on some of the frustration, but it still kinda sucks having to drive back and forth over the same patch of Sertao over and over again. And the XP from each job is also kind of lovely.

I had one objective spawn in 10m from the objective I had just finished. Waist high walls fell from the sky and raider punks ran out the melding wall.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Last night I had to leave Coral Forest and jump shards twice because the fuckwits in zone chat were bitching about the stupidest things.

One guy was bitching because he said there wasn't enough variety of mobs in the game. He said there wasn't enough to do. He bitched about how long it took to level. He bitched so long and hard and would frequently say something stupid like how Borderlands 2 was better or how Skyrim was better. I'm sure he would have gone through a list of single player games and wound up saying Risk was better sooner or later but he let it slip that he was only level 3 and if the game didn't get better, he was gone.

I'm fairly sure the reason he wasn't leveling fast enough was because he never stopped typing stupid poo poo in zone chat long enough to shoot anything.

Does the game need more bug fixes and polish? Absolutely. I'll stick up for the game when it comes to content though. I thought about all the games I've played over the years and can't think of one that had better variety.

Other games were either theme parks with check box quest hubs and staged content or open world sandbox that relied on player generated content.

That and EQ which made sitting in the same corner of the map fighting the same mobs for hours on end into a viable business.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Inimicul posted:

That and EQ which made sitting in the same corner of the map fighting the same mobs for hours on end into a viable business.

*cough* thumpers *cough*

That guy might be bitching real hard, but I can understand why. The New Player Experience does suck real hard with the job boards in the 1.0 incarnation, the 1km hikes are not fun and you don't get to fight enough enemies per job - Thumping or the old ARES missions absolutely throw enemies at you compared to jobs. Considering a lot of people will come from the themepark MMO's, people expecting the jobs to be at least worthwhile is understandable. The instances help a lot more than the job boards do when it comes to fun of shooting mans/monsters. Probably what that level 3 guy was missing.

I also don't understand the wholesale 50% nerf on the cooldowns, that doesn't bode well. If there are some problematic skills that goes wild with cooled variants and level 40 epic modules, nerfing those skills (powerfield, shields, I'm guessing here) would've been better.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Musluk posted:

The New Player Experience does suck real hard

I started a new frame and this really hit me yesterday. Not getting all ability slots from the start seems ridiculous, especially for frames who rely on abilities for aoe (recons). Starting a Raptor with just a SMG/Charge Rifle against swarms of Aranha was awful and would have put me off the game massively if I hadn't played it a lot already on other frames.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Eventually I strapped on a grenade launcher and my recon is great now.

I just did mission 7. While it took me like half an hour to do it. I got like 99k xp for it. Compared to a measly 20-30K from a job quest. I also had more fun too gunning humans and chosen instead of travelling from one point to another.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inimicul posted:

One guy was bitching because he said there wasn't enough variety of mobs in the game. He said there wasn't enough to do. He bitched about how long it took to level. He bitched so long and hard and would frequently say something stupid like how Borderlands 2 was better or how Skyrim was better. I'm sure he would have gone through a list of single player games and wound up saying Risk was better sooner or later but he let it slip that he was only level 3 and if the game didn't get better, he was gone.

1. Risk is a multi-player game, and is tons of fun with the right people.

2. I know this may come as a shock to you, but just because he hasn't played the game as much as you doesn't make his opinion less valid.

quote:

I'm fairly sure the reason he wasn't leveling fast enough was because he never stopped typing stupid poo poo in zone chat long enough to shoot anything.

It's true, strawmen are pretty bad at shooting.

Yeah, this game is interesting, but the only reason it's interesting for me is because I don't have to deal with half the bullshit that new players have to deal with. Quests take substantially shorter to do when you have the best LGV, a hoverpad and a glider. But without those, I would have quit after a few hours.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Played this game for the first time yesterday for a few hours. Applied to Goon2 in game as VivPickles or something like that. Its fun so far. I dont really know what I am doing but its not too shabby.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

dromer posted:

1. Risk is a multi-player game, and is tons of fun with the right people.

2. I know this may come as a shock to you, but just because he hasn't played the game as much as you doesn't make his opinion less valid.

1: That's the same reason we all play games with other Goons.

2: It absolutely does. If you wanted the to know about a game, whos input would you find more valuable? Someone who's seen it all or someone who didn't even finish the tutorial?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
What happens when a level 24 squads up with a level 10 and drops a thumper in a level 10 area? Does exp get tanked?

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inimicul posted:

2: It absolutely does. If you wanted the to know about a game, whos input would you find more valuable? Someone who's seen it all or someone who didn't even finish the tutorial?

I'm not arguing the relative worth of each opinion; I'm saying that his opinion is equally as valid as yours. You're both playing the same game, but he's experiencing it from a radically different perspective. And most people in this thread, myself included, seem to agree that the new player's perspective is exceptionally lovely.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

xxEightxx posted:

What happens when a level 24 squads up with a level 10 and drops a thumper in a level 10 area? Does exp get tanked?

The 24 won't get much xp because all the mobs are level 10. If the level 10 buddy can't meet the minimum participation level of kills, he may get shafted on payout too.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Inimicul posted:

The 24 won't get much xp because all the mobs are level 10. If the level 10 buddy can't meet the minimum participation level of kills, he may get shafted on payout too.

Well being 40 I'm not so concerned about me, just curious if we can powerlevel lowbies a bit to get them up to the mid 20s when things start to take off.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'd love to get some low level grouping going on tonight, I haven't done any squad work yet and I could see this game being a blast with a team. Hopped on mumble a little bit last night but everyone was doing higher level stuff. My highest is a level 9 dreadnaught right now.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I really like the turret playstyle and want to continue down that path. Is it worth it drop some cash to unlock the bastion? I'm just the base engineer at the moment. I am definitely interested in multiple turrets - does the engineer only get the one?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Scags posted:

I really like the turret playstyle and want to continue down that path. Is it worth it drop some cash to unlock the bastion? I'm just the base engineer at the moment. I am definitely interested in multiple turrets - does the engineer only get the one?

You can slot Deployment modules to use multiple Heavy Turrets (+1 with White/Green module, +2 with Blue/Purple), but you have to wait out the cooldown for each one, so it only really works for defending a given location for a long time.

But having 3 rocket turrets is quite nice for solo thumping. Also nice for tornadoes.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Scags posted:

Engineer gets the heavy, Bastion gets the multi, but Bastion is probably where you want to aim. It is tough going until you get some power in the turrets, they have really low hp and the cooldown makes them not as spammable as they used to be. But they end up kicking a lot of rear end, especially at the end game in DT, the critters there are almost all range, and extreme range at that, which the turrets excel at dealing with.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

xxEightxx posted:

Well being 40 I'm not so concerned about me, just curious if we can powerlevel lowbies a bit to get them up to the mid 20s when things start to take off.

Every night I grab a group of wankers and we work on getting them caught up in the storyline missions and blow through a few missions / jobs. If a group forms, make the highest level the leader and have them take jobs. Anyone else in group who's in range will inherit the job and as long as they are within 4 levels (5 on some boards) they'll get credit. We've been blasting people up to 20 that way pretty fast.

Being on Mumble makes a world of difference. Without Mumble you're running around with four assholes who don't type while listening to the voice acting and waiting for the next waypoint to show up. With mumble, you can't hear the VOs because of all the random poo poo going on over comms. Last night we had 15 people doing various things. Sometimes it was confusing when one group was doing instances while the other thumped, but the crass humor is worth it. It also makes it super easy to find replacements when one group or the other needs to fill slots.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Who else has noticed the terrible R5 math where some of these passive perks are concerned?
The 'chance to proc' passives are what I am looking at - and they are loving terrible!
Maybe there is some hidden internal cooldown?
The firecat 'corpse combustion' is disgustingly bad right now. 25% chance to ignite enemies killed? Sounds good!
In practice you're lucky to proc the thing 10% of the time.
I clear 5 hisser houses (about 30 enemies) and see it go off twice.
Not to mention the radius and damage of the ability is laughable.
The nighthawk 10% chance to proc 50% fire rate is awesome - but for anyone other than said recon.
It wrecks faces installed in a dread, for example, but for your nighthawk it is mostly worthless.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Engineer gets the heavy, Bastion gets the multi, but Bastion is probably where you want to aim. It is tough going until you get some power in the turrets, they have really low hp and the cooldown makes them not as spammable as they used to be. But they end up kicking a lot of rear end, especially at the end game in DT, the critters there are almost all range, and extreme range at that, which the turrets excel at dealing with.

Ahh I thought the bastion got the Heavy and the Multi Turret. I was excited about having four. Three is still good though. Thanks for the info. I'll buy some beans.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scags posted:

Ahh I thought the bastion got the Heavy and the Multi Turret. I was excited about having four. Three is still good though. Thanks for the info. I'll buy some beans.

You can equip Accord base frame abilities on advanced frames, so Bastion can indeed have heavy turret + multi turret at the same time.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Scags posted:

Generally the advanced frame gets access to all the abilities and weapons of the accord stock variant, so for the bastion, it would get to use any of the engineer's abilities, including the heavy turret. You will be popping out heavy turrets and the multi turret...and when you get the +1 or +2 mod slotted into your multiturret, you can have more than the stock three out at one time.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. That makes having 3 heavy turrets and 6 multi turrets easy to get with not a ton of money invested. You can push that up to 4 heavy and 7 multi turrets if you are quite wealthy or get super lucky with drops / market but you'll spend the entire time micro managing replacing turrets. You won't have time to shoot anything or pick up all the sweet sweet drops your turrets will be giving you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inimicul posted:

Yeah. That makes having 3 heavy turrets and 6 multi turrets easy to get with not a ton of money invested. You can push that up to 4 heavy and 7 multi turrets if you are quite wealthy or get super lucky with drops / market but you'll spend the entire time micro managing replacing turrets. You won't have time to shoot anything or pick up all the sweet sweet drops your turrets will be giving you.

On the other hand it makes thumpers incredibly easy!

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

I applied to GOON2 as Dadsy

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Inimicul posted:

Well, I'm sold.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I applied to GOON2 with Lutha.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

What happened to alliance bot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
I applied to Goon2 with Uevlek.

• Locked thread