Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I'll take some photos tonight that aren't selfies with Ted perched on my shoulder and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
I have another question about my new budgie.

I agree with you guys that I should be letting her come to my hand instead of me grabbing her from the cage, but it's going to take quite a long time to get to that point of trust (I imagine).

I am going to have to clean her cage at some point, I plan on doing it once a week. And ideally, I'd like to be able to put her in the smaller, temporary play cage I have set up in my computer room (so she can at least see me and be in the room with me) rather than sitting alone in her big cage in the living room.

Right now I have the smaller cage pushed up against her big cage with their doors open outward, so that she can go from one to another. However, she may not go from one cage to another on her own. This was my solution to getting her from one cage to another without having to interfere and transfer her out myself.

Is this a stupid idea? :S

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

A few days ago, our Eldertiel passed away. He was around 24 years old. We've had him since I was in elementary school.

He meant a lot to our family. In his waning years he gradually became weaker and weaker, with arthritis starting around age 18 or 19, and- in the last six months- vomiting and other issues. We took him to the vet, but of course, he was just old. There was not much to be done. Over the course of the last few weeks he lost strength- he stopped being able to fly, and by his final day he wasn't able to lift his head much.

It was sad to see, but the little guy would even prop his head up against the cage to get head scratches. He just wanted love and attention, and he got it.

We miss him dearly but we know he's in a better place.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wrecking Ball posted:

I have another question about my new budgie.

I agree with you guys that I should be letting her come to my hand instead of me grabbing her from the cage, but it's going to take quite a long time to get to that point of trust (I imagine).

I am going to have to clean her cage at some point, I plan on doing it once a week. And ideally, I'd like to be able to put her in the smaller, temporary play cage I have set up in my computer room (so she can at least see me and be in the room with me) rather than sitting alone in her big cage in the living room.

Right now I have the smaller cage pushed up against her big cage with their doors open outward, so that she can go from one to another. However, she may not go from one cage to another on her own. This was my solution to getting her from one cage to another without having to interfere and transfer her out myself.

Is this a stupid idea? :S
You are just overthinking it.

Use a stick or a pen or something and get her to step up onto that, use that to transfer her between cages.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Been busy with a new dog and a new place, but Zeke just snatched a moth out of the air and tore it to shreds. :black101:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Carfax Report posted:

A few days ago, our Eldertiel passed away. He was around 24 years old. We've had him since I was in elementary school.

He meant a lot to our family. In his waning years he gradually became weaker and weaker, with arthritis starting around age 18 or 19, and- in the last six months- vomiting and other issues. We took him to the vet, but of course, he was just old. There was not much to be done. Over the course of the last few weeks he lost strength- he stopped being able to fly, and by his final day he wasn't able to lift his head much.

It was sad to see, but the little guy would even prop his head up against the cage to get head scratches. He just wanted love and attention, and he got it.

Sorry for your loss, Carfax. It sounds like you and your family gave him a wonderful life, and he loved you very much.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Official Bizness posted:

Been busy with a new dog and a new place, but Zeke just snatched a moth out of the air and tore it to shreds. :black101:

gently caress YEAH :black101:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Carfax Report posted:

Sorry about your Eldertiel. Seems he lived a good life with you guys.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Ted

Getting his head scratched

Eating bok choy

My room mate apparently checked online, with the local RSPCA and even contacted a few people who she thought might be his owners with no luck.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Ooooh, he looks like a keeper.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

What a handsome tiel!!

Also, between :parrot:, :derptiel: and :birddrugs: I think all the basic companion bird moods are now available in emote form.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

What a handsome tiel!!

Also, between :parrot:, :derptiel: and :birddrugs: I think all the basic companion bird moods are now available in emote form.

I know several birds where :black101: is definitely part of the basics too.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
That's a good looking boy, and he's way young too. He looks exactly how my tiel looked around 8-9 months or so. His head will likely color out nicely. So you guys are going to be holding on to him?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

What a handsome tiel!!

:birddrugs: holy poo poo this owns

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SaNChEzZ posted:

The surprise lovechild of the Bird Crazies and Guild Wars 2 threads. :allears:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hahahah nice :stwoon:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's not a Hatoful Boyfriend emote? What's the context?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's not a Hatoful Boyfriend emote? What's the context?

Mostly due to my stoned shenanigans as Goon Squad leader. The emote description is "literally a bird on drugs"

e: headrubs :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 7, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Mostly due to my stoned shenanigans as Goon Squad leader. The emote description is "literally a bird on drugs"

Guild Wars 2 is better with :420: and a parrot on your shoulder.

I was disappointed that the parrot never learned to say "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!" though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I got my bird some new seed, but he seems to only eat a few things out of the new mix. I know its a better seed mix for him, more options, healthier mix, and the old stuff I had was basic generic pet store brand seed. Is it really such a huge deal that he only eats the generic bird store brand seed, or should I just leave him alone with his new seed till he likes it more?

This is the seed I got him.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 7, 2014

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve decides the best spot to take a nap is face against the wall beside Ohtori's cage, Ohtori gets furious and tries to reach through the bars to pull Steve's feathers, Steve remains oblivious and falls asleep, Ohtori discovers he can give himself head scratches via the branch.

Also here's a video of what Inko does/says when he has something tasty (and he does it when people aren't around too, I've heard him through the closed door):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7W5rMfl-U

nomnomnom

Knifegrab posted:

So I got my bird some new seed, but he seems to only eat a few things out of the new mix. I know its a better seed mix for him, more options, healthier mix, and the old stuff I had was basic generic pet store brand seed. Is it really such a huge deal that he only eats the generic bird store brand seed, or should I just leave him alone with his new seed till he likes it more?

This is the seed I got him.

You can add the new seed to the old one and increase the ratio every time, if you wanted.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve decides the best spot to take a nap is face against the wall beside Ohtori's cage, Ohtori gets furious and tries to reach through the bars to pull Steve's feathers, Steve remains oblivious and falls asleep, Ohtori discovers he can give himself head scratches via the branch.

birds.txt :allears:

quote:

Also here's a video of what Inko does/says when he has something tasty (and he does it when people aren't around too, I've heard him through the closed door):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7W5rMfl-U

nomnomnom

This is insanely adorable and Amadeus keeps mumbling back to him :kimchi:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Battle Pigeon posted:

You can add the new seed to the old one and increase the ratio every time, if you wanted.

Its not that he completely ignores the new seed, its that he picks out and only eats ~20% of the seeds and things in the mix. If I slowly mixed the new seed in he would just eat around most the stuff like normal.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Guild Wars 2 is better with :420: and a parrot on your shoulder.

I was disappointed that the parrot never learned to say "FOR GREAT JUSTICE!" though.

Ha! I'm not.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lenswork posted:

Ha! I'm not.

Yeah, I probably would have felt kinda guilty...

EDIT: This has not stopped me from attempting to teach both of my birds "Danger zone!" or "Phrasing!" which is probably just as short-sighted.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 7, 2014

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Your Ted reminds me of the late great Birdie:

IMAG0959

IMAG0950

Lived to a grand old 26, all wolf whistles and guinea pig 'ree! ree! ree!'s.
He was a Good Bird.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I almost want to play guild wars with you guys

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

I refuse to start playing again until they add a Tengu playable race for reals. :colbert:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Wow, I finally have an emoticon for the time our macaw got ergot poisoning!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Does type of seed really matter? Or is it more a marketting thing? Like if my budgie eats the standard petstore brand seed but won't eat the fancy pancy mixed seed is that really fine? I am worried because he hates this new seed mix that is supposedly better for him.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I know we mostly talk about pet birds here, but I am headed home from two months of living and working with macaws in the jungle and wanted to share a few pictures of the birds at the ARA Project down in Costa Rica. While it was featured in the documentary Parrot Confidential, the location of the project has since moved to Punta Islita in the Guanecaste region.

The entire flock of wild macaws decided the fruit on the beach almond tree outside the volunteers' house was ripe at the same time.

The Great Green Macaw (ara ambiguus) was my favorite. It is not a Military Macaw (ara militaris)! The flights and aviaries full of these birds were the most fun, as well as some of the most intelligent and difficult parrots I've ever interacted with. I only wish I had the time to go to Manzanillo out in the Limon region to work with the wild and pre-release ambiguus out there.

I have many more pictures, but they are all on my real camera at this moment, all I have is my cell phone while traveling!

Lenswork fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

Does type of seed really matter? Or is it more a marketting thing? Like if my budgie eats the standard petstore brand seed but won't eat the fancy pancy mixed seed is that really fine? I am worried because he hates this new seed mix that is supposedly better for him.

The answer to this, and everyone in the thread will likely agree, is that the best seeds are no seeds. Well not no seeds, but save them for rare treats.

Seeds are very high in fat and for a domestic bird that is not burning the sorts of a calories a bird burns off in the wild, can be very damaging to overall health (liver problems, general fatness etc) and will almost definitely shorten your little buddy's life span.

Your best bet here is to consider switching to pellets, which are more nutrient dense per calorie. The brand that the overwhelming majority (myself included) seem to swear by is Zupreem, they come in all sizes, and are pretty affordable considering how much budgies eat.

http://www.petco.com/product/12566/ZuPreem-AvianMaintenance-FruitBlend-Bird-Diet-for-Small-Birds.aspx

Your budgie may not care for them at first but transitioning him slowly is doable, mix in 1 part pellets to 4 parts seeds and slowly but surely increase the ratio. He'll get with the program.

So if you're interested in what is better for him, that's the answer.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Chili posted:

The answer to this, and everyone in the thread will likely agree, is that the best seeds are no seeds. Well not no seeds, but save them for rare treats.

Seeds are very high in fat and for a domestic bird that is not burning the sorts of a calories a bird burns off in the wild, can be very damaging to overall health (liver problems, general fatness etc) and will almost definitely shorten your little buddy's life span.

Your best bet here is to consider switching to pellets, which are more nutrient dense per calorie. The brand that the overwhelming majority (myself included) seem to swear by is Zupreem, they come in all sizes, and are pretty affordable considering how much budgies eat.

http://www.petco.com/product/12566/ZuPreem-AvianMaintenance-FruitBlend-Bird-Diet-for-Small-Birds.aspx

Your budgie may not care for them at first but transitioning him slowly is doable, mix in 1 part pellets to 4 parts seeds and slowly but surely increase the ratio. He'll get with the program.

So if you're interested in what is better for him, that's the answer.

I had heard colored pellets like this tends to make their poop colored and can make it harder to tell when they're sick, is that true?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I had heard colored pellets like this tends to make their poop colored and can make it harder to tell when they're sick, is that true?

It'll often dye their poop but I think it's pretty unlikely you'll need to worry about poop color to know they are sick.

Look for very runny or very dry poops, and not just once, but consistently. Lethargic behavior can be another sign.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Knifegrab posted:

So does fruit and vegetables, though. Pepper poop and berry poops are the worst.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

So does fruit and vegetables, though. Pepper poop and berry poops are the worst.

Hah, that too. Auri loves cherries, and those result in dark red poops.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Bah this whole food debate is bumming me out. He won't even try to crack his new seed types, so I have a feeling he is going to be such a snob towards pellets. I feel like I should just be happy he eats normal seed at all and just try to supplement it with fruits and veggies.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A lot of them are just like that-being suspicious of new food items (if they even recognise them as food) could be useful for wild birds.

My first conure tries to eat anything offered. My second conure had to be taught that you can eat things other than sunflower, and how, but now he loves his fruit and vegetables and if you offer something and say "nomnomnom" he'll recognise it as potentially edible and give it a lick. The cockatiel... was being fed budgie seed, and even now after years won't eat pellets. He gets the best quality seed I can find (lists ingredients, foil sealed packet, for "small Australian parrots" rather than generic, etc) and it's much better for him. He is still picky and doesn't eat everything, but it's still far better than a crappy mix full of millet and sunflower.

He also eventually learned to eat some other foods and eats a pretty good variety of vegetables in his bowl each day, so it balances out. You have have to be patient and insistent-and I do mean patient, I think it took him about half a year to begin regularly eating his veggies-and if they never ever give in about eating X food then just find a way to supplement it.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Bah this whole food debate is bumming me out. He won't even try to crack his new seed types, so I have a feeling he is going to be such a snob towards pellets. I feel like I should just be happy he eats normal seed at all and just try to supplement it with fruits and veggies.

I find its sometimes effective if you pretend to eat the new food with bird on your shoulder, while also pretending to be totally suspicious and jealous. This makes my snobby bird immediately try and take the new food because Birds Are Dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

What if I give him a big bin of the new seed, and just leave it till its all gone? He picks through it and only eats the few things he likes, but if I leave it eventually it will be down to only things he doesn't like and eventually he'll have to try it right?