Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I once got a tech support call right after DST when the caller wanted to be sure the daylight savings time setting would remain set at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

dogstile posted:

I didn't even crack a smile reading that, a lot of it just seems like its poking at people for being stupid or exaggerating like hell :shrug:

It is a parody of Not Always Right, which some submissions have been accused of being exaggerated, and of course some entries have made fun of people being stupid. Kinda hard to tell which is which.

A ticket came in a while back: "I'm having an issue with a single hard drive no longer being detected by a node in the chassis. Let's not waste time and replace the entire 4 node chassis that's over $10K. Thanks." Yeah, no.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

A ticket came in a while back: "I'm having an issue with a single hard drive no longer being detected by a node in the chassis. Let's not waste time and replace the entire 4 node chassis that's over $10K. Thanks." Yeah, no.

Ahahahaha what is on these people's minds

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So some extra work came in:

I was on the client site connecting some new network runs into the switch when the new UPS in the server room made a loud popping sound followed shortly after by all the servers and switches powering off. All the display says is "Off Use Delay" and doesnt respond to any button presses.

Off to fill out a warrenty claim with APC support... woooo.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
^^^EGAD. How new was that UPS?

orange sky posted:

Ahahahaha what is on these people's minds

Unfortunately for the tech that was working with us this came form his boss. The tech actually wanted to work on the issue but couldn't. They system they have was designed to be sold as 1 of many to be able to lose one server without much hit to production. They instead bought 1 chassis and made each node a non-redundant production server. And since they were in production the boss would not take it down to troubleshoot.

The ticket owner had to do a best guess on parts and guess what? Issue not resolved. Boss is hopping mad since he just assumed we were sending parts like it was a experiment on his system... and while that was happening the actual technician got the chance to troubleshoot and found it was the motherboard on that single node. Through this the boss was being an annoying tough guy on email, and a nice guy on the phone. :argh:

Also towards the end of the case, I learned the original tech that was working with us was :yotj:. :smith: Never knew if it was him leaving or being fired.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 7, 2014

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Was just walking a user through logging into her Office365 email for the first time (she's worked here for years, but is finally getting around to setting up her own email account that has existed as long as she's been here) and after about 20 minutes we finally get her logged in and to the point where she has to choose the time zone and she's confused as to which time zone to pick...even though we've been in the Pacific time zone for longer than this woman has been alive
I ask her, "Which time zone are we in?", hoping that she'll arrive at the correct answer on her own
Her: "Uhhhhh...morning?"
I proceeded to give her the correct answer, then watched as she failed to find the Pacific time zone in the drop-down list even though it was right in front of her. I finally took mercy on her and clicked it. I'm not even 100% sure this woman can read :|

The general public is clueless about time zones. Asking people to convert between time zones is an exercise in futility. Whenever I setup an appointment/conference call I will have any time zones involved listed ie: 1pm CDT/2pm EDT. And people still call in early/late.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Lightning Jim posted:

^^^EGAD. How new was that UPS?

It was isntalled a month or two ago, tops.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

blackswordca posted:

It was isntalled a month or two ago, tops.

Hopefully it didn't take out anything else connected to it. I've never had to file an APC warranty claim before...let us know how it goes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I filed one maybe 5 years ago. It sucked. They wanted you to ship (on your dime) the UPS back to them for testing. Was cheaper to buy a new one. Hopefully they've gotten better.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I went through a bad run of APC equipment including a step down transformer that had no power switch, dead thermal probe, bad PDU and a UPS that melted its plug. All new equipment. The transformer even had that little QA report on top that showed it tested fine!

EDIT: I like my UPS plugs toasty...

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

SamDabbers posted:

Hopefully it didn't take out anything else connected to it. I've never had to file an APC warranty claim before...let us know how it goes.

It was actually far more pleasant than I expected. I gave them SN and did about 20 minutes of troubleshooting. They are shipping me a replacement, which I assume is a factory refurbished unit. I just got an email with the return shipping label, all paid by APC.

Edit: Server connected to it looks like it shut down properly and the switches are all fine.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 7, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I went through a bad run of APC equipment including a step down transformer that had no power switch, dead thermal probe, bad PDU and a UPS that melted its plug. All new equipment. The transformer even had that little QA report on top that showed it tested fine!

EDIT: I like my UPS plugs toasty...

:stonk: I can only assume overload? I mean, that's a what, L6-30P? So 10 gauge wire, rated for ~24 amps continuos. I run our TrippLite PDU's @ that 24x7 for months at a time with no issues.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

MJP posted:

Anyone still got a Cryptolocker infection that this could be tested on? https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/08/whitehats-recover-victims-keys-to-cryptolocker-ransomware/

Looks promising, but I don't have any infected boxes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Someone on /r/sysadmin (I know, I know) said that it worked for them, actually.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's legit, I've worked with both those companies and they wouldn't do this if it wasn't real.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

President Ark posted:

I just took a laptop apart then put it back together. When I was finished, I had one extra screw.

I doublechecked. I put all the screws that the laptop uses back into it.

:ohdear: Am I... Am I a wizard?

A little known fact about screws:

Screws reproduce sexually, so while you're tearing down a machine those screws are having a screw orgy and so by the time you put things back together you're up a couple of screws that weren't there before because screws are pro-life.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

A little known fact about screws:

Screws reproduce sexually, so while you're tearing down a machine those screws are having a screw orgy and so by the time you put things back together you're up a couple of screws that weren't there before because screws are pro-life.

Subsequently, when you're missing screws it's because they eloped.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
An e-mail came in from an exec saying that our auto attendant had a weird message. I logged in to our IPO and checked and found the following was playing before the general voicemail.

https://soundcloud.com/pr0digal-1/praise-the-lord

Whoops, looks like our vendor didn't do the setup 100% correct....like 6 months ago. How am I only hearing about this now. Thankfully the exec found it funny.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is awesome. And you should leave it there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

the spyder posted:

:stonk: I can only assume overload? I mean, that's a what, L6-30P? So 10 gauge wire, rated for ~24 amps continuos. I run our TrippLite PDU's @ that 24x7 for months at a time with no issues.

I can't remember the specifics but the cord was not correct for the output of the UPS. I was smelling the faint scent of hot electronics for a few hours, unable to track it down. But like Toucan Sam I followed my nose into the server room all the way to the back of the rack the UPS was in. I touched the cord and it was warm. I touched the plug and it was hot.

Cue me running around like mad to get everyone to wrap up their work so I could shut everything down and unplug the UPS. Electrician came not long after and replaced the cord with something appropriate and we had no troubles after that.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

pr0digal posted:

An e-mail came in from an exec saying that our auto attendant had a weird message. I logged in to our IPO and checked and found the following was playing before the general voicemail.

https://soundcloud.com/pr0digal-1/praise-the-lord

Whoops, looks like our vendor didn't do the setup 100% correct....like 6 months ago. How am I only hearing about this now. Thankfully the exec found it funny.

That is some excellent sound board material right there.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So awhile I posted about some machines not being able to hit one of our internal websites. I've been poking at on and off for the last week, and as far as I can tell, Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1 just really doesn't like it. It works fine from Win7 in IE11, Firefox, Chrome. Works from my mac using Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Works on Apple and Android phones.

I've looked at the traffic in Fiddler and Wireshark and all I get from it is a SSL Handshake Failure, then the connection resets. Since this device is an appliance and no longer supported by the vendor, I'm out of options. I just can't think what Win8 does different that would keep a single site from loading, and only on IE.

Its only 2 outside people, so I guess they'll have to make do until we have time to put in the replacement device my boss has been sitting on for the last few months.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CitizenKain posted:

So awhile I posted about some machines not being able to hit one of our internal websites. I've been poking at on and off for the last week, and as far as I can tell, Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1 just really doesn't like it. It works fine from Win7 in IE11, Firefox, Chrome. Works from my mac using Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Works on Apple and Android phones.

I've looked at the traffic in Fiddler and Wireshark and all I get from it is a SSL Handshake Failure, then the connection resets. Since this device is an appliance and no longer supported by the vendor, I'm out of options. I just can't think what Win8 does different that would keep a single site from loading, and only on IE.

Its only 2 outside people, so I guess they'll have to make do until we have time to put in the replacement device my boss has been sitting on for the last few months.
Does it work if you pass Windows 8/8.1/8.1 Update in your useragent?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

Take a look at which ciphersuites the appliance supports, and which ones IE on 8.1 supports. (Microsoft dropped support for a bunch of old crap ciphers in 8.1 SChannel.)
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewClient.html?name=IE&version=11&platform=Win%208.1

Most likely the appliance is running some archaic cipher suite that doesn't offer anything in that list.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

spankmeister posted:

Take a look at which ciphersuites the appliance supports, and which ones IE on 8.1 supports. (Microsoft dropped support for a bunch of old crap ciphers in 8.1 SChannel.)
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewClient.html?name=IE&version=11&platform=Win%208.1

Most likely the appliance is running some archaic cipher suite that doesn't offer anything in that list.

If this is the problem you might have another problem because this should not be silent. Make absolutely sure you're looking carefully at the Wireshark, specifically any RST packets.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

deimos posted:

If this is the problem you might have another problem because this should not be silent. Make absolutely sure you're looking carefully at the Wireshark, specifically any RST packets.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 8, 2014

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

Wish I'd seen that site a couple of years sooner, all the other SSL test sites didn't show any errors at all. Shame I can't do anything about this since its an appliance and the vendor is ignoring it.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
I've been spending most of every day's downtime in the past few weeks troubleshooting the most vague issues of a couple of prebuilt advent machines. Today I'm crumbling under the constant futility of my efforts and my colleagues have been playing games and watching vice documentaries all day. Yesterday they had a two hour lunch at a restaurant.

I can't just say "they're completely hosed, replace the motherboards or get new machines" because they won't accept that. I just have to sit here banging my head against the wall. :saddowns:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mammalian posted:

I've been spending most of every day's downtime in the past few weeks troubleshooting the most vague issues of a couple of prebuilt advent machines. Today I'm crumbling under the constant futility of my efforts and my colleagues have been playing games and watching vice documentaries all day. Yesterday they had a two hour lunch at a restaurant.

I can't just say "they're completely hosed, replace the motherboards or get new machines" because they won't accept that. I just have to sit here banging my head against the wall. :saddowns:

What are the problems you're running into?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

m.hache posted:

Default install missing Pepsi Syndrome. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CitizenKain posted:

Wish I'd seen that site a couple of years sooner, all the other SSL test sites didn't show any errors at all. Shame I can't do anything about this since its an appliance and the vendor is ignoring it.

Put in a proxy that will handle older stuff. MITM yourself :unsmigghh:

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

m.hache posted:

We're a company that provides webcasting and video management for clients. Two of our machines, the advents, had to be wiped to be rented out, when we got them back I was tasked with wiping them to put win8 back on. It should have been easy, but it wasn't. After about 20 jira task updates with what I'd done to rectify problems, I identified it as a driver issue with the capture cards in the machines. We had older ones on there before, older ones we no longer have access to.

Right now we've stripped the cards out of the machines and we just sat to use them as desktops for new starters, one works fine, the other one... Well.. Upon startup I get the irql not less or equal bsod and a reset. There are also coloured lines of corruption all across the bottom of Foxconn's post screen splash. (sometimes), I managed getting into windows but after installing all the updates, that's when the bsods started. I can't get in at all now and I barely could before (blinking cursor).

I have been flashing the bios on the machine and I believe I probably just hosed it up in that respect.

This isn't a very coherent post, sorry, I'm on my phone.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
A ticket went out, from me. I've opened a ticket to our corporate helpdesk because I've been unable to get into Kronos using either the new Citrix Netscaler site or the RDSWeb site. I can get in using the old Citrix portal, but that's going to be retired in the near future, so I really need them to fix whatever the gently caress is keeping me from accessing Kronos on the supported sites.

So far, support has been about as useful as tits on a boar. If we (local support for the facility) provided this piss poor service to our end users, we'd have been fired long ago.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kronos fails frequently for almost no reason. Every week I get 5 or 6 people who can't get in to it. Sometimes clearing the browser and java caches works. Sometimes they have to open it in chrome. Sometimes they have to open it in IE. One user could only open it in Firefox through a citrix window.

It's just a terrible system.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Are we talking about Kronos workforce management/time software because oh man do I loving loathe them

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
There's a server room in one of our buildings we're in the process of decommissioning, and we've been providing rack space to a unit that occupies the floor below us. This is one of their machines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Working in payroll it's a tough tossup between hating Kronos and Peoplesoft more. I say peoplesoft.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Our ticketing systemhas been up and down all day. People have complained in email, which resulted in our management replying to complaints with, "Did you open a ticket with IT?" Like we have time to do that and why are end users having to open individual tickets for a major production system being unusable? Finally someone replied that they had called IT and since they were a remote user, IT walked them through resetting their cable modem and router.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Default install missing Pepsi Syndrome. :v:

Just one Pepsi. And she wouldn't give it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

"Jeremy" is one of our engineers kids. His father is too much of a cheap gently caress to put the kid up at a summer camp, so he does filing and scanning jobs that are too mundane for :downs: and probably earns more money per hour than I do.

Instead of pissing and moaning why don't you have the little poo poo clean the cube up for himself... I was literally given the "junkyard cube" when I started working here and had to clean it + schlep the junk out myself...

<edit> if I sound like a dick/hardass its because :downs: keeps dropping by my cube and hinting that I should be the one to clean it out/play Janitor.

On Aug 08, 2014 @ 02:35 pm, :downs: wrote:
What is the status on the cube for Jeremy?

Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:00 PM
To: helpdesk
Cc:
Subject: clean Thompson's cube

Hi,

Is it possible to get the janitors to cleanup Thompson’s cube.

I moved some of the items to a side to make some room for Jeremy to work on, but it is
really dusty/dirty. J

Thanks,

:downs:

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread