Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Meh.

I still have the DVD versions with SecuROM.

Med2 works under Windows 8.1 just fine. Kingdoms is complaining about compatibility, though it installed just fine. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007
Has anyone found a working torrent for Hyrule 3.5? My download from moddb got to about 90% completion before the connection dropped.

Mr.Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 7, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rabhadh posted:

If anyone is having trouble, here is the link to the most recent community patch. This fixes the .bat files so you don't have to go fiddlin'

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?658153-Bug-fix-Patch-for-HTW-3-6&p=13981061&viewfull=1#post13981061

I'm posting it because it seems to be a bit buried.

See, I posted about this over there, but I may as well do it here as well:

whenever I try to play the mod after installing the community patch I get this error

"Uh, oh. This isn't good. no idea why, but exiting now. sorry pal"

and it crashes. Does anyone else have this problem?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What method are you using to run the mod?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

When do the AI factions start wielding interesting army sizes? I've spent a few turns as a couple factions and wasn't amazed. I see the potential in the lategame though.

The Sheikah start is dull, letting you absolutely easily bumrush the Gorons with relative ease. An interesting faction though, one of the most interesting ones.

The Hyrule start is simple, and somewhat easy. Attacked a Wizrobe church guarded by only one enemy unit, got my army thoroughly annihilated by said unit but eventually killed it with Zelda. The Wizrobes then asked for a ceasefire, giving me 4900 rupees per turn for 3 turns in order to achieve this. These 3 turns are then used to search for the Wizrobe cathedral in order to wipe them out (They seem more trouble than they are worth)

The Labrynna Regime start is very easy. Surrounded by small rebels and independents, it's easy to expand quickly. No real threats in the vicinity should allow time to learn how exactly one makes best use of their units. Loving the Mech Tree.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The AI (and UI) are dumb as bricks and the balance is a bit all over the place, but it likely starts ramping up as they sit around twiddling their thumbs. I haven't played it in a bit but I seem to remember the AI doing a poor job of managing themselves - it's one of those mods that really needs you to do the hotseat campaign tomfoolery to really get going.

So.

It turns out a while ago, when Gamespy went down, CA and Steam turned Medieval 2 copies into Steamworks, as well as letting you input your disk-copy CD key to get the Steam version. Rad! Where's the Gold edition's CD key, cuz flipping through manuals I can't find it for the life of me.

edit: Wait no, I remember. I got it from gamestop a long time ago and as usual they didn't have the CD key slip in it. Welp.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gamerofthegame posted:

The AI (and UI) are dumb as bricks and the balance is a bit all over the place, but it likely starts ramping up as they sit around twiddling their thumbs. I haven't played it in a bit but I seem to remember the AI doing a poor job of managing themselves - it's one of those mods that really needs you to do the hotseat campaign tomfoolery to really get going.

So.

It turns out a while ago, when Gamespy went down, CA and Steam turned Medieval 2 copies into Steamworks, as well as letting you input your disk-copy CD key to get the Steam version. Rad! Where's the Gold edition's CD key, cuz flipping through manuals I can't find it for the life of me.

Medieval 2's AI was never stellar, but it gets a bit interesting as the game goes on. Also, I think the game is using custom AI (Kind of has too, really.) so it depends on the nation and how a game goes. The mod's AI was at least smart enough to offer Herpicle a truce to try to buy time to reinforce itself, so it seems fairly intelligent. Heck, I once started as Labrynna only to encounter a frigging Lizalfos empire when I reached Hyrule, so it can do some pretty crazy stuff. No clue how they managed to pull that off.

quote:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

When do the AI factions start wielding interesting army sizes? I've spent a few turns as a couple factions and wasn't amazed. I see the potential in the lategame though.

The Sheikah start is dull, letting you absolutely easily bumrush the Gorons with relative ease. An interesting faction though, one of the most interesting ones.

The Hyrule start is simple, and somewhat easy. Attacked a Wizrobe church guarded by only one enemy unit, got my army thoroughly annihilated by said unit but eventually killed it with Zelda. The Wizrobes then asked for a ceasefire, giving me 4900 rupees per turn for 3 turns in order to achieve this. These 3 turns are then used to search for the Wizrobe cathedral in order to wipe them out (They seem more trouble than they are worth)

The Labrynna Regime start is very easy. Surrounded by small rebels and independents, it's easy to expand quickly. No real threats in the vicinity should allow time to learn how exactly one makes best use of their units. Loving the Mech Tree.

Some factions are weak early on. The Lizalfos tend to get wiped out. However the Gohma, Wizzrobes (Which you saw yourself, looks like.), Darknuts, Gerudo, and a few other nations in that area are usually pretty nasty. Hell, the Gohma AI usually throws so many troops at you even in a small battle that they can fatigue your units into being easy to kill just from all the combat they're in. It's usually a good idea to take them on after they've gotten done having a war with someone else or have split their armies up into small units.

The Goron are absolutely nightmarish to fight with a melee centric army. Playing as the Sheikah they once steamrolled me with their heavy infantry when I fought them mid game. They're like a bomb wielding version of the Darknuts. Like the Lizalfos they have to build themselves up first though.

The AI needs a dozen turns or so to really start to ramp up the troop numbers since each side has only limited numbers of cities and troops at the start. That makes for low income, which coupled with the fact that not every nation starts with recruitable troops without having to build a building can slow them down. Add onto that that MTW:2 uses the replenishment mechanic and it can take them a few turns to get geared up. So early on is usually when you make the easiest/most progress.

With factions like the Sheikah you can outright eliminate a few pesky rivals if you exploit this since they're big on low unit numbers and high efficiency. I found that once the nations start producing larger armies you have to either commit your entire force to attacking a nation or use your spies to know when to strike. I once had a grueling war on Death Mountain where the Gorons just stone walled a chokepoint and wouldn't let me by to their capital. I ended up actually losing that war since it turned into a huge quagmire.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 7, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rabhadh posted:

What method are you using to run the mod?

The hyrule total war desktop shortcut. I get the same error if I try to launch it from the AUI and executable batch files.

e: And I'm not running the game from steam, I still have my M2TW discs.
e2: Nevermind! Fixed it by fiddling with the batch files.
VVV: yeah it was because they had the mod refer to medieval2.exe instead of kingdom.exe, which I guess is good for steam but not for us ancient disc users.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 7, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

nutranurse posted:

The hyrule total war desktop shortcut. I get the same error if I try to launch it from the AUI and executable batch files.

e: And I'm not running the game from steam, I still have my M2TW discs.

Check which patch you got. Also, that you installed it right. The "Uh, Oh." error is Medieval 2's way of saying something about the data files is hosed up, which is causing a crash. So likely either it's the wrong patch for the version or it was installed wrong.

Also, the fan patch accommodates for the issues with the recent Steam patch that removed the launcher. That might be the reason why too. Not sure what the difference between the disc version and Steam is so I can't say for sure though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 7, 2014

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I bought Medieval 2 just because of the Zelda mod. While I'm waiting on the download could you talk about the Darknuts, the Gorons and maybe the Gerudo?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Okay, I got the Zelda mod and the community patch for it, but when I got to start a campaign I have control of all the factions myself for some reason. What did I do wrong?

E: Nevermind, I figured it out. When you select a new faction you also have to unselect the old one for some reason.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 8, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Grizzwold posted:

Okay, I got the Zelda mod and the community patch for it, but when I got to start a campaign I have control of all the factions myself for some reason. What did I do wrong?

The campaign acts as a hotseat campaign to facilitate the inclusion of civil wars in 3.6. Untoggle them in the faction selection menu. You probably activated them when selecting a faction.

I'll explain the Darknuts, Goron, and Gerudo when I get a chance. Can't do it right now unfortunately. That being said, they're empire factions, not "political group" factions. That means they play like Hyrule, only as one kingdom instead of a few. They also have some unique unit mechanics and strategic traits like the other factions do. Darknuts are basically the "death or glory :black101:" faction for instance.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 8, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Gimme some download links.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Grizzwold posted:

I think the campaigns are hotseat style now to accommodate for new events in the Twili faction.

EDIT: drat, beaten. Either way, downloading now. I've never played a Total War game before but I'm super stoked to get a chance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Archonex has a way of hyping things up, so don't get to disappointed when you remember Medieval 2 is a fairly old game at this point with bad UI and none of the Empire+ delicious improvements. On the plus side, giving the forums a glance apparently the mod has been improved to be more then just factions with 10~ different units hitting each other. There's events and what not going on.

You may want to halve the hero timer, though. Most factions heroes show up on turn 100~ for a game that can last to fifty.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is there a way to reduce turn times? They're extremely atrocious. Still, I guess that is better then the game just crashing constantly or something.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Is there a way to reduce turn times? They're extremely atrocious. Still, I guess that is better then the game just crashing constantly or something.

As far as I know, nope. The turn times are the result of Medieval 2 itself. I believe I read somewhere that it can't handle multi-core CPU's that well. And the mod is kind of obviously pushing the boundaries of what Medieval 2 can do to begin with.

Unless someone found a way to get at the source code for Medieval 2 I don't think much can be done about that.

Gamerofthegame posted:

You may want to halve the hero timer, though. Most factions heroes show up on turn 100~ for a game that can last to fifty.

Checking the wiki reveals that a whole bunch of stuff happens during the game.

If you're not playing as them Ikana shows up at a certain turn and automatically declares war on anyone that owns their cities along with the Stalfos too, a bunch of mercenary heroes can appear that can be hired, a few nations get heroes at the late game (Ganondorf joins the Gerudo for instance.), every fifteen turns the River Zora faction swarms out of rivers to eat undefended cities, etc, etc.

The heroes are just a part of it. Though some of them do come a bit late.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Welcome to Total war modding, friend.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Total War never changes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Got Hyrule working. The fairies are ridiculous.

Take the Aztecs from normal Med2(Brave, zealous, and vast in numbers, etc), including the 'no upkeep cost for troops'.

Give them all javelins, guns, catapults, and cannons(In the case of the golems). Add a few melee units for flavour.

That's the fairies. Watch out for friendly fire.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I think I'm enjoying Hyrule so much because it's a totally new setting for me. My Gerudo campaign is great, insane battles vs the Darknut Legion. Some of those fuckers have 30+ defence and can slog through my archer kill zone then wipe out a lovely unit of spearladies. Not the most tactically impressive but when Darknut has a full stack, you'd better bring 2 as Gerudo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So since someone asked me to explain a couple more factions, and they seem to be a topic of conversation, here's the Gerudo, Darknuts, and Goron. The first two of which make up the playable western factions bordering Hyrule. Keep in mind that I haven't had a chance to try these factions out in 3.6 yet. I'll fill in the changes between versions as best as I can.

The Darknuts:

Basically what would happen if you mixed the God Emperor of Mankind with Khorne, and everyone could :black101: their way into becoming literal deities dual wielding increasingly ridiculously large swords. So basically :black101: the faction.

The heaviest faction in the game. Heavy melee weapons. Heavy armor. Heavy metal. Like the rest of the factions they're pretty unique. It's a race of anubis-like dog monsters that practice warfare as a religion and believe in only using increasingly ridiculous swords the stronger they get. In fact they have a single unit called "The Dishonored" that have committed a crime and are forced to not use swords as a punishment. So obviously they really love their loving heavy armor and swords. Obviously this makes them the best faction in the game in melee since they're more armed and armored than a full stack of knights from vanilla.

That's their god emperor by the way.

Tactically they only use one type of weapon and one type of armor. Heavy armor and swords. This is due to the excuse that they have a warrior code or something. In theory this means that they will curb stomp anything they can force into a straight fight. In reality this creates some interesting challenges for the times when the AI realizes this and decides to gently caress with you in increasingly annoying ways.

For instance, being a desert dwelling faction that wields a poo poo-ton of armor as a matter of course means that they tend to suck at being quick. While they have ridiculous defenses, to the point of being able to shrug off swarms of arrows like Rabhadh mentioned, this means nothing to morale. If an opposing faction can split them up and isolate them before flanking them, they can be broken and forced to retreat. And since Medieval 2 counts any hit against a routing enemy as an instant kill that captures them this means that they play as a ridiculously over the top "death or glory" faction since they are hands down the slowest faction in the game.

Coincidentally, the Gerudo are a highly mobile force of archers and desert dwelling people who act as their bizzaro version and are perfectly poised to counter-act them if they go to war. Unfortunately for the rest of the world most of the desert factions start out nearly being BFF's, and can easily form an axis of evil/not being Hyrulian pretty quickly if they send diplomats out to each other. So sometimes Hyrule ends up facing the best warriors in the game backed up by the best archers, who may also be backed up by the Zuna, who really have to be seen to be believed.

Strategically they start out near the Gerudo and Zuna, both of which they like. They also like the Moblins, who are lead by Ganon. Obviously this puts them along with everyone else to be in a position to reenact some of the games, with Ganondorf eventually re-enacting the later ones if you get really lucky. Unlike the games, this will usually wreck Hyrule and half the world if the 1/50th chance of them all staying so friendly for a 100 turns occurs.

Hero wise, they have four heroes. A disgraced murder deity wannabe who wants to reform the system, an actual murder deity that acts as god emperor of their lands, a black knight type murder deity wannabe, and a lightly armored female murder deity. All of them are good at murdering things.

And if you doubt that they're basically a Khornate cult, read some of their unit descriptions. Case in point, the Legendaries, a high tier (and not even the highest) unit for the faction.

quote:

Elder heroes often spoken of in Darknut myths, Legendaries are old Darknuts nearing the end of their lives. Instigators of famous wars and battles of the past, Legendaries have given up their names and identities and instead serve as embodiments of the Darknut's creed. There are almost none in Hyrule who can confront a Legendary and hope to claim a victory.

It's basically an entire faction of Chaotic Chosen Warriors.

Oh, and those deities I mentioned? That's the first preview image up above. It's hard to see since it's a white background, but they have a literal anime-esque aura of power around them from powering themselves up through the glory of warfare and murder. Also those swords are exactly as big as they appear.

quote:

Strengths, Weaknesses and Abilities
Unmatched Armour: The Darknuts are infamous for their nearly impenetrable armour, making them pound for pound the most powerful soldiers in all of Hyrule.
Heavy Contenders: Darknuts are all very slow and most are unable to run because of their massive armour.
Honor Bound: The Darknuts have a strict code of ethics and honor that prevents them from using weapons other than swords. As such they lack cavalry, archers, and other specialised units outside of infantry.
Lord Race: In the campaign, the Darknuts are nearly worshiped by the Fokka, and generally are aided by the Zuna of the Gerudo Desert. Mercenaries are also generally more willing to work for them regardless of pay.

The Gerudo:

:j: the faction.

Like Rabhadh said, they're archers and desert warriors. Think a ridiculous parody of the middle eastern nations in TW if everyone in the faction was a woman. So when I joked that they were a faction of desert lesbians I really wasn't kidding.

They have, pound for pound, the best archers in the game. In fact unless the enemy puts heavy infantry on their walls they can actually annihilate entire regiments of defenders outside the desert by just raining arrows on them. This comes at a cost however. Like Lanaryu Province, they don't wear heavy armor. Because they aren't ridiculous murder deities it would obviously be a bit taxing to do that in a desert climate. So instead they're primarily an extremely mobile force that can rain arrows down on you while keeping most factions forever out of their reach.

Interestingly enough their primary potential adversary, the Darknuts, doesn't really need to be such. Out of all of the factions the Gerudo are best poised to create a super alliance at the start. The Moblins, Darknuts, Zuna, and a bunch of other factions are either ambivalent at worst to them or outright love them. This is probably to let fanboys simulate their Ganondorf fantasies since he shows up on turn 100 to shake things up and take over the faction. Having their cities turns you into a de-facto financial superpower if you can take them, though. So it's sometimes worth it to go to war with them.

As mentioned, the Darknuts are their antithesis. Surprisingly this doesn't mean that one curb stomps the other, like they would in other games. Instead, the faction that uses their advantages the best tends to win. The Darknuts will win in straight fights, but the Gerudo can easily out maneuver them and force them to split their forces. And since Darknuts are comprised of heavy troops and somehow even heavier weapons they can't zerg the Gerudo like the Gerudo can to them.

Like the Darknuts they have four heroes. Unlike the Darknuts they aren't murder deities. Instead three are Gerudo women (One of which is two women combined. :wtc:) and Ganondorf, who is pictured above. The women are all from different Zelda games featuring the Gerudo. The aforementioned double woman is...Interesting. I'll post a picture of it below.

Apparently it's two women who fuse to become one, wielding weapons and powers like Agni and Rudra in Devil May Cry 3. How they do this or if this was taken from Zelda is my best guess, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

There are a few minor factions like the Zuna living in or around the desert as well. I won't go into them except to show what sort of insane units they bring to a fight.

They literally drag entire ziggurats and pyramids into battle. Which they then use as mobile fortresses to crush infantry like they're a tank and bombard enemies from with arrows and crossbow bolts. Warhammer wished it could be this batshit. :psyduck:

The Goron:

Is there even an emote that describes bomb throwing, EOD armored, lunatics? I've got nothing here.

So this is an old standby race of the series. And it shows. Gorons field the best siege weaponry, probably have the second best armor stats overall compared to the Darknuts, and have increased mining income. Also, they can field Dodongo's and their regional mercenary recruits (I haven't even touched on what each faction can do there. There's a whole game's worth of a roster of units that I haven't even mentioned. :stonk:) include loving bipedal dragons called Volvagians.

Goron starts out slow, much like themselves. They have one of the most defensible areas on the campaign map, which is literally built to gently caress you over if you attack them. Typically this means that they're kind of like the Russia of the game. Except instead of the winter being a killer it's every other season, since the winter actually makes them weaker.

Obviously, they live on Death Mountain, which as names go is a pretty loving good reason to avoid attacking them altogether. They start off about as well off as the Lizalfos, but can easily turn the place into a nightmarish quagmire that all but a few factions have trouble with.

Notably, their early units aren't heavy armored monstrosities. It's the higher level ones that get obscene defenses and can literally roll into a group of Sheikah elite and wear them down. They aren't quite at the level of the Darknuts, and they aren't quite at the level of being general purpose like Hyrule. Instead they hover somewhere in between. They make up for that lack of uniqueness with their other troops though.

First, bomb throwers. If you thought the potential for hilarious catastrophe with bombs was great in the canon games, wait until you see a regiment of them chuck their bombs into an allied group. Obviously having a bunch of lunatics swinging bombs everywhere racks up causalities fast. In fact, I think getting hit by an exploding bomb is equivalent to getting hit by a shot of flaming ammo with a catapult. IE: Instant death.

Likewise, they can train Dodongo's. Which are a very obnoxious enemy from the games. Taking things up a notch though they can also ride the fire breathing dinosaurs. Which is as potentially hilarious overpowered as you might think. Now you've got a faction of bomb wielding giants and fire breathing dinosaurs rampaging through the enemy at potentially inopportune moments. Their heroes also include things like a "King Dodongo" and a giant sized version of the already giant Gorons, which is a pretty loving unwelcome surprise to anyone thinking they were the chill faction they were in Ocarina of Time.

Since they have the best siege weaponry in the game obviously their siege weaponry has to be ridiculous like every other high tier unit in this game. They fire powder kegs that can annihilate walls, and this insane looking thing that looks like it was forged in hell.

A flamecannon. Which it definitely is going by its appearance. I've never seen them used, but going off of its description and appearance I assume that much like the Twili version of a cannon it isn't so much a wall destroyer as much as it can be used for indiscriminate slaughter of infantry by shooting magical balls of fire (or darkness in the case of the Twili) at enemies. Unlike the Twili the Goron version is apparently hideously accurate.

All in all they're pretty hilarious. And i've found that someone invading them in the freeform campaign is usually an indicator that their lands are going to be up for the taking in a year after they lose all of their soldiers to the lunatics who live in Death Mountain. The only time I didn't have a hard time with them was by waiting until they exhausted all their troops in a war first to quickly gank their cities.

quote:

Rock Bodies: The Gorons are composed of rock and mineral rather than flesh. As such they are much more durable in combat compared to other races.
Masters of Siege: The Gorons deploy the best siege weaponry in all of Hyrule.
Instinctual Miners: The Gorons have a long tradition of mining ores and minerals from the Death Mountain Range, and as such their mines yield a higher income in the campaign than those of other empires.
Heat Seekers: The Gorons require warm temperatures to live, as such they suffer massive penalties when fighting in snow.

So I mentioned before that there were a bunch of provinces that made up Hyrule, but I left a few out for the sake of simplicity. Let me add one now as a bonus.

Lanaryu Province:

They've got the innsmouth Zora taint. :cthulhu:

So I mentioned way back about all the different factions that make up Hyrule. But I left one or two out. Why? Because they've said "gently caress Hyrule" and gone off to do their own thing. The first of them is also the first of three Zora factions, Lanaryu Province.

Lanaryu Province is sort of a generalist like Hyrule is, but more money focused with the obvious catch that they're fish people. Why are they fish people? Because they're Hyrulian people who interbred with the Zora when they first met. Since obviously everyone knows that the first thing a person would do when they find a new race would be to see if they could get it on. Obviously the leaders of Hyrule and the Zora Dominion were horrified when they realized their nazi-like ideas were being corrupted by filthy lovecraftian interbreeding. This makes them discriminated against despite having the best rupee mines, which lead to a fabulously rich rebellion that you play as at the start when choosing them.

Tactically they have a lot of light infantry. This is supported by their economy, which is probably the most money oriented in the game in that they can drag in lots of cash quickly. In fact they're basically the only faction that could bling their soldiers out in rupee's and still have cash left over for a spare regiment or two.

Of course since they're a more merchant oriented faction that means they have issues with heavy troops. But that's what the battlecrabs are for. And yes, that's a thing. Check the preview image. They're literally giant crabs that can chop enemies in two.

Obviously they play more strategically than most TW factions. The addition of more money means you're encouraged to use diplomats to start proxy wars and such to lighten up their opponents. Their big thing is that they can move over any body of water like it was land. Which means they're a pretty big pain in the rear end to fight in aquatic regions. Their soldiers also rank up much quicker, which means you're encouraged to make sure you don't go all "General Death" on your soldiers to win fights. Really, they're a more humane, innsmouthy approach to the grimdark factions of this game.

Hero wise they have a bunch of abominations hybrid fish-people. Not much to say there. Their real strength lies in political manipulation through building up a steady cash reserve, letting them stay alive until they have an elite cadre of troops that can crush any of the more hyper-specialized factions. Their cordial relations with the Zora Dominion also means they can ally with them easily to gently caress over Hyrule a bit further if things go well for them.

They can of course also declare war on Hyrule straight off as well, being a generalist faction that has no hard counter to a more money oriented generalist faction. It's probably a bad idea to go marching to war with a faction like the Darknuts straight off though. Still, if you've ever wanted to be part of a faction that was comprised of youthful inexperienced rebels fighting for their right to make sweet, sweet, love to fish then these are your guys.

quote:

Quick Learners: The open minded mentality of Lanayru Provinces means their soldiers learn and adapt faster than most soldiers. As such Lanayru soldiers rank up faster than those of other empires.
Rupee Miners: Lanayru Province sits on top of the largest Rupee Veins in all of Hyrule. As such all economic bonuses are increased in the campaign for Lanayru Province.
Aquatic: The Zora of Lanayru Province are able to travel over any body of water.
Fashion Obsessed: Soldiers in Lanayru Province prefer to wear comfortable and stylish clothing rather than professional grade armour into battle, and as such are usually more frail in combat.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 9, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

How they do this or if this was taken from Zelda is my best guess, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

Look up your Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpeOwOjaYE

Oh, and be aware that standard Med2 rules apply concerning alliances. If you spend too long at peace, they WILL break alliance and attack you. This can be a problem given the long distances, even with the improved strategic map.

I''ve used the Zuma things a bit as the Darknut. Yes, you CAN roll over things. You will rarely get to do so, though, as the wretched things are so slow and so big that pathing is very much A Thing.

quote:

this means nothing to morale. If an opposing faction can split them up and isolate them before flanking them, they can be broken and forced to retreat.

Add an 'eventually' to that. They have impressive morale from my poking around at them. Two of my Darknuts(A Dishonoured and a Master) backed up by their God-King giving his boosts to the entire force, on a wall, beating down a Rebel Dishonoured from both sides. Meanwhile, the rest of the force including God-King is taking the rest of the city. The rebel wavered, got shaken, but never broke. The entire rest of the force died, and we captured the city by time. He never broke.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 9, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Look up your Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpeOwOjaYE

Oh, and be aware that standard Med2 rules apply concerning alliances. If you spend too long at peace, they WILL break alliance and attack you. This can be a problem given the long distances, even with the improved strategic map.

I''ve used the Zuma things a bit as the Darknut. Yes, you CAN roll over things. You will rarely get to do so, though, as the wretched things are so slow and so big that pathing is very much A Thing.

On the other hand, they're literally a mini castle. So outside of the rules concerning arrows there really isn't much that's going to stop one. Not like it matters if you're slow if you're near unkillable and can chase infantry until they tire themselves out. And what the gently caress are melee infantry going to do to stop you? Throw themselves under the wheels after advancing through a hail of crossbow bolts? :v:

Also, I haven't seen the whole "broken alliance" thing in any of my games yet. Are you sure that's not just the AI being its wonky self? Had an alliance with Hyrule as the Sheikah for fifty turns now and things are going great.

Also I had no idea that thing was Twinrova. It's still funny that the Hyrule Total War version is something ripped straight out of DMC3.

Rabhadh posted:

Word of caution if you're picking a race close to the Darknuts, or going to war with them. There is a known bug that causes a crash when you enter a battle with the Darknut unit Mazura. I've taken to just auto_win attacker and auto resolving those fights. Very annoying and I hope they fix it soon.

Not sure if it'll fix it, but one of the fan patches might have fixed that bug. Sounds like a unit data error from the initial 3.6 release, which someone was dredging up huge fixes for early on. Though maybe they missed the check for them. You should be able to remove the unit from the game either way though if it isn't.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Word of caution if you're picking a race close to the Darknuts, or going to war with them. There is a known bug that causes a crash when you enter a battle with the Darknut unit Mazura. I've taken to just auto_win attacker and auto resolving those fights. Very annoying and I hope they fix it soon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Fall Of The Samurai is 75% off and part of the STEAM weekly deal thing. It is a Stand Alone title, not DLC for Shogun 2 :). In other words, you don't need Shogun 2 to enjoy the Victorian era goodness.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Just add 2.50$ for all of the FOTS DLC. (too bad the actual DLC isn't on sale)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/17095/

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
Anyone have any tips for FOTS?

I've never played any of the gunpowder Total Wars but I've played all the other ones.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Get some solid line infantry, navy with explosive shells and a parrot gun and Japan is yours.

Serious advice, use your agents in Fall. They are all worth it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Always remember: Artillery wins wars :black101:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Can the thread recommend me any resources for learning to play these games? I've tried a few in the series (Rome, Medieval 2, Shogun 2) and they've never really clicked with me. Shogun 2 especially is one that I really would like to get to grips with.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
shalcar's Let's Play of Shogun 2 isn't intended solely as a tutorial LP but it's very in-depth about every single mechanic as he goes along and can definitely be used to learn the ropes if you don't mind the reading.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dr Snofeld posted:

Can the thread recommend me any resources for learning to play these games? I've tried a few in the series (Rome, Medieval 2, Shogun 2) and they've never really clicked with me. Shogun 2 especially is one that I really would like to get to grips with.

The thing that helped me most was just realizing that you're going to make campaign ruining mistakes the first (few) times you play, so you should know that you'll be starting over at least once or twice. Chosokabe are often recommended as a first faction because their borders are easy to control, but I've found that not needing to cross the ocean makes early expansion easier.

Shalcar's LP writeup is real good. The campaign tutorials in the game are OK, but I found the battlefield ones to be lacking.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Don Gato posted:

Always remember: Artillery wins wars :black101:

Hell no, kneel fire and guard mode wins wars. Legions of samurai charging my lines and falling flat is glorious :black101:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wegee posted:

Anyone have any tips for FOTS?

I've never played any of the gunpowder Total Wars but I've played all the other ones.
Something I didn't know about FOTS at all because I didn't read the video manuals but learned from watching a video LP is build a navy and have them support your armies. They can bombard cities, armies and if they are in range for a battle they also provide fire support, which is loving great, since that means you don't need to be lugging around cannons and all of that for a good chunk of the campaign.

I quickly deleted that campaign I was only ~30 or so turns into.

canyoneer posted:

The thing that helped me most was just realizing that you're going to make campaign ruining mistakes the first (few) times you play, so you should know that you'll be starting over at least once or twice. Chosokabe are often recommended as a first faction because their borders are easy to control, but I've found that not needing to cross the ocean makes early expansion easier.

Shalcar's LP writeup is real good. The campaign tutorials in the game are OK, but I found the battlefield ones to be lacking.
Yeah I never remember any Total War tutorials being ever any good other than explaining the bare basics so it will take you a few times over the course of a campaign or two to figure everything out, either by firsthand experience or seeing someone else do a thing and then you wondering why you never thought of that in the first place (see: above)

I've probably aborted like half a dozen Rome 2 campaigns already, and I really only started playing when patch 14 dropped.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've certainly got a wealth of knowledge and information packed into my LP, but a word of warning about the front page since it's a quick reference for everything we have seen so far, so it's absolutely huge. I recommend using the table of contents in the OP to jump to just the update posts. Everything in the summary posts was at in the updates at once point or another, so eventually you will have been exposed to everything.

For Shogun 2, the Chosokabe are perfectly placed as the tutorial clan. They have two very obvious fronts to expand on that end up at the same point (with the island captured) so you always have a known objective, your flanks are pretty much always covered while you find your feet and the fact you need to build a navy to get off the island means that you not only get a nice game plan to work with and some time to consolidate your holdings, but you are then well placed to go wherever is the softest target. The Chosokabe island is also well designed, with your home province starting with Wood for cheaper ships and the natural chokepoint having Stone which means cheaper buildings (encourages development of provinces without breaking the bank). Lastly, there is a Warhorses province as well, giving you access to the best cavalry. The Chosokabe boost to farm income also encourages newer players to avoid the biggest trap, starvation.

We get new players asking for advice in the LP all the time, so I'll drop what I think is a rather helpful post from there:

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Yeah, I was worried about what that fort mission meant for the game as a whole too, but I actually played the game and I found it was much easier. I would start as the Chosokabe on Easy and Long. You start out on an island unconnected to the main islands and you can take your time learning the game.

A few things though. These might sound obvious, but when you're coming to a new series, it's good to have some guidelines.

1. Don't assault forts unless you have at least a two to one advantage.

2. Don't split your forces unless you have a very good reason. Moving an army as two halves instead of one whole makes it twice as easy for the enemy to crush you.
Likewise, if the enemy has their army split up, or an army is reinforcing a garrison, focus on the reinforcements first.

3. Cavalry should avoid prolonged melee combat if possible. Use cavalry for flanking or chasing down routed units.
Never, ever, send them against spears. An elite hero cavalry unit will get mauled by the weakest spear unit.

4. Ashigaru are great for cannon fodder. They're cheap to replace and they were going to die anyways. Just make sure they don't break and start a chain rout.
On the other hand, they're fantastic for garrison duty as their low morale isn't an issue.

5. If you initiate an battle, you must go to the enemy. If the enemy initiates the battle, they must come to you. This means that on the attack, the enemy chooses where you will fight. On the defense, you get to choose where to fight.

6. Always remember that you can pause in the middle of battle, give your orders, and then unpause. This helps a lot.

7. Don't bother with siege weapons. Seriously.

Hope that helps.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post here, the LP thread or send me a PM and I'll gladly answer them.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Siege weapons are bad?

I had some decent success at sniping enemy generals with cannons in SH2.

e: Speaking of cannons - Nanban trade ships are amazing and basically make you invulnerable on the seas.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On the other hand, if you don't want to be boring as hell and get really awesome screenshots, bring lots of artillery. Shogun 2 has fire rockets that are fantastic for it.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Siege weapons are bad?

I had some decent success at sniping enemy generals with cannons in SH2.

e: Speaking of cannons - Nanban trade ships are amazing and basically make you invulnerable on the seas.

Siege weapons are not bad, but there is basically no situation in a battle where you wouldn't be better suited having an equivalent other unit. Siege units are just not that effective given their opportunity cost. Cannons are a little different because you get them just for going Christian, but even so they have far more drawbacks than benefits.

e: I should clarify I meant land based siege weapons. Cannons on boats are basically god mode.

dogstile posted:

On the other hand, if you don't want to be boring as hell and get really awesome screenshots, bring lots of artillery. Shogun 2 has fire rockets that are fantastic for it.

That's true, but we are talking about advice to a newer player here. The crazy weapons are hilariously fun, but they are for once you have a handle on everything, not for when you are just starting out. Most newer players assume you need siege equipment and that's really harmful with their early expansion, so it's good to ram home that you don't need to worry about it if you don't want to.

e: If a new player thinks they need siege weapons, it takes 23 turns just to research them. We might all know you don't need to do that, but how can a newer player? Taking castles needs siege is pretty much a gaming staple at this point.

For anyone who wants a source of great Shogun 2 battle knowledge, this is the youtuber who taught me how to play:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fishsandwichpatrol

He's not posting anymore, obviously, but there is a heap of great info in there and I find him quite easy to listen to.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Did somebody say artillery? My cue to post some of the better FOTS mods on the Workshop. The artillery mod is the best, Mortars make sieges much easier in both attack and defence and if you just want to go up to tier 2 tech with the Shogunate you can get some better more modern cannons without pissing off your people. Win win!

quote:

Fall Of The Samurai Mods: STEAM WORKSHOP ADDITION!

Time again for a brief round up of Mods that'll make playing FOTS a little bit better. Before we begin I'd just like to drop this little sound fix for sound issues when installing mods that add new units to the game.

Simply download Sinfonia Semplice and unpack it in your Shogun 2 data folder after adding the new units to the game.

I'm going to be brief with what these mods do, since you'll be clicking the Workshop Links for a closer look anyways.

Expanded Campaign Time Limit

Extends the time limit given by the campaigns with the following. Works on all Shogun 2 DLC.

+60 years for Shogun 2 campaign
+22 years for FoTS campaign
+60 years for Rots campaign

FOTS Defences Rebalance

Tweaks and cheapens both the cost and research rate for fortress defences for both you and the AI factions.

Occupation Resistance

AI factions don't get any negative penalties for rolling into enemy factions and don't need to garrison them. This adds this to them and forces them to hold their new holdings for some time ending the blitzkrieg expansion of some factions in a handful of turns. Works for Shogun 2, Rise and Fall.

Bayonet Mod

Adds bayonets to most line infantry in Fall using tweaked Yari animations. Looks pretty decent actually.

FOTS Random AI Personality Mod

A personal favourite that truly randomises the faction AI of Fall. Some factions will now switch sides or try for a Republic and invade other factions instead of doing the same stuff over and over again.

Fall Of The Samurai Artillery Mod

Expands Artillery selection heavily with Napoleonic and Victorian smoothbores and howitzers, rockets and Mortars for defence. Even has horse propelled light artillery and the AI uses it all.