Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Marcus Pedersen is in Molde, watching them lose and will probably join them. Stop hogging all the strikers, bastard Molde! :argh:

e: Nevermind. They equalized just before half time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Jesus. Forren misses a penalty at 87' and then scores an OG at 89'. Molde are out.

So are Rosenborg on away goals at HT, but still possible to take this.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Norway: so bad at football.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Insurrectionist posted:

Norway: so bad at football.

Next up: Watch Norway fail to qualify for Euro 2016, despite there being 24 teams this time.

Perhaps if we put all of NFF on a boat and sink it in the Atlantic we might see some changes? Or would that be against environmental regulations regarding the dumping of toxic waste? :v:

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012
I wonder how long it takes until Semb brings out his tired old 12-team-league plan.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I saw Tjernås promoting a 12-team league earlier today, and Rekdal following up in the same pattern. I was positive when they wanted to expand to 16 teams, but now I'm more in favor of the 12 team model myself. There's also the discussion about playing fall through spring rather than the other way around, and now that Norwegian footy is so poo poo it's easy to press for a change in whichever way possible. Luckily our FA is run by competent people who we can trust to make the right decision after carefully contemplating all the options available, right guys? ..Guys?

In other news, Rosenborg are allegedly chasing Trencin striker Malec, after Trencin lost to Hull in their EL qualifiers last night. Slovak 21-year old who was topscorer in their domestic league, that sounds good to me! He's also a big target man kind of striker, which could prove very useful with our pacy wingers and Gamsts left foot.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012
I think the 12 team model is a complete waste of time and energy, and quite frankly a sign of how desperate we are to just do something, anything, to fix football in this country. My guess is that a 12 team league would be a net negative for Norwegian football.

First of all, there's no evidence that it has any effect on the quality of football being played. Perhaps it does, but there should be clear signs that it's a good idea before we do something so drastic.

Most importantly though, it completely overlooks the differnce between us and countries like Denmark and Scotland, which is the geography. I'm probably pretty biased coming from the far north, but I think it's insane to have league where some people live 20 hours away from the closest top league team (not counting Russia and such), which would be a real probability with a 12 team league.

Also, on a less serious note, a split table is super convoluted and dumb, regular leagues are much cleaner and consistent :spergin:

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Whoa, we actually managed to hang on to a lead! :toot:

Lurgy posted:

I saw Tjernås promoting a 12-team league earlier today, and Rekdal following up in the same pattern. I was positive when they wanted to expand to 16 teams, but now I'm more in favor of the 12 team model myself. There's also the discussion about playing fall through spring rather than the other way around, and now that Norwegian footy is so poo poo it's easy to press for a change in whichever way possible. Luckily our FA is run by competent people who we can trust to make the right decision after carefully contemplating all the options available, right guys? ..Guys?
I'd rather see the summer break ditched than a fall-spring schedule.

The No! Team posted:

First of all, there's no evidence that it has any effect on the quality of football being played. Perhaps it does, but there should be clear signs that it's a good idea before we do something so drastic.
It would cut the amount of matches, so we'd avoid the "play one match before Easter to gently caress up a still-growing pitch that may or may not be covered with snow before we take a month-long break" thing that happens all too frequently. Of course, ditching the summer break might accomplish the same thing.

e: Just read the Tjærnås thing. Playoffs? Not convinced that is a good idea; a heavier match schedule would probably hurt our international teams more than meeting better teams more often would help.

Zwachro fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 8, 2014

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I guess the "big clubs" will support a split league playoff thing because they can play against each other a few more times in order to desperately stay relevant to their fans who doesn't bother going to games anymore.

I think it's a bad idea that would only benefit a few select clubs, and even then I think there are a limited amount of times you can get any engagement around watching VIF and Rosenborg play against each other.

Personally it would kill a lot of my interest in Norwegian football, which already is close to nonexistent outside Glimt.

What about a long and hard look into grassroots football and youth development, getting proper people to run the clubs and then cleaning up the absolute mess that Tippeligaen currently is? There's matches every day it seems, the traditional Sunday afternoon kickoff is reduced to two or three games because there's games Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays and sometimes midweek.

But no, let's focus on watching Rosenborg and Vålerenga play against each other four times a season and kill off the other clubs because absolutely no one will care about the pointless lower half playoff thing.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
I agree with euroboy here. Norwegian league football was at a high in the period from 2003-2008 and it has declined rapidly since then, as has my own interest in it as well, sadly. I still follow VIF with all my heart, but I no longer care enough to tune in to hardly any other matches. Giving the TV rights to CMore was also a giant mistake, as was spreading the matches out so much. The core of Norwegian football should be Sundays at 18:00, not this hodge-podge of matches spread all over the place.

We need to look back at what worked during this "golden" time and re-implement that. Messing with the league structure or moving the season around would just end up making it even worse, I think.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Emperors new clothes, and all that. A few years back the 16 team league would save us all, and now they're looking to loving Scotland.

Nobody will give a poo poo about a new and exciting league format if it's still some garbagemen players running around a Thursday night in July.

And the common viewer might get a bit more interested if half of the news about the clubs weren't about bankruptcy claims, unpaid wages and club leaders begging rich people to help them pay for their bad decisions.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

euroboy posted:

And the common viewer might get a bit more interested if half of the news about the clubs weren't about bankruptcy claims, unpaid wages and club leaders begging rich people to help them pay for their bad decisions.

Yup. I feel like a lot of that is due to the CMore deal. Without TV2 the league lost a massive amount of coverage on TV and the constant shuffling of matches for the various TV slots lead to a decrease in people at the matches as well. Sponsors weren't happy about that and either withdrew completely or turned down what they were willing to pay for sponsorship deals. This in turn led to clubs being unable to foot the wage bill for the players and now we're in a quagmire it's gonna take a long time to get out of. NFF really screwed the pooch well and proper with that move.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game

euroboy posted:

I guess the "big clubs" will support a split league playoff thing because they can play against each other a few more times in order to desperately stay relevant to their fans who doesn't bother going to games anymore.

I think it's a bad idea that would only benefit a few select clubs, and even then I think there are a limited amount of times you can get any engagement around watching VIF and Rosenborg play against each other.

Personally it would kill a lot of my interest in Norwegian football, which already is close to nonexistent outside Glimt.

What about a long and hard look into grassroots football and youth development, getting proper people to run the clubs and then cleaning up the absolute mess that Tippeligaen currently is? There's matches every day it seems, the traditional Sunday afternoon kickoff is reduced to two or three games because there's games Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays and sometimes midweek.

But no, let's focus on watching Rosenborg and Vålerenga play against each other four times a season and kill off the other clubs because absolutely no one will care about the pointless lower half playoff thing.

The whole idea is to support the "big" clubs improving, though(which obviously the big clubs will want). Even in this threads earlier editions we've been :laffo:ing about newly promoted teams battling for medals and league winners going on to battle relegation, is that honestly a good sign for any league out there? Personally I'd lose a lot of interest if noone in Norway even contended for a place in the Europa League. Tippeligaen has always felt like a bingo league since Rosenborgs 13, and although I understand that one team reigning supreme is not the pinnacle of excitement, it sure did bring about a lot better football than this yo-yo league that's been going on ever since.

As for spectator interest, that's already been on the decline ever since... well ever since RBKs golden years. I don't buy for a second that the lower half will be pointless, it's a 6 team battle to avoid 2 or 3 relegation spots. Every match in a split league will matter, rather than today where all the mid-table teams are done in August and just looking to start the next season.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Lurgy posted:

As for spectator interest, that's already been on the decline ever since... well ever since RBKs golden years.

This is flat out wrong. Average attendance jumped by 1000 people each match from 2004 to 2005, coincidentally the year that RBK's reign as team supreme ended, and 2005 had also higher attendance than any year between 1991 and 2004. And in that period, only 2004 had higher attendances than 2013 and this season so far. The spike in popularity came in 2007, when Brann won the league, when average attendances in the league was over 10000 people for the first and only time in the Tippeliga era. Since 2007 there has been a decline in attendances, completely unrelated to RBK's golden years.

The foreign big leagues are getting more and more available, and it's not like Norwegian football can ever hope to compete with them on quality of football. Instead we should focus on the one advantage we have, which is that we are local. If Norwegian clubs can sort their leadership out and stop producing negative news all the time like euroboy mentioned, and instead worked on connecting with the fans on a much closer level, and we got a proper schedule plan for matches, that would go a long way towards fixing the decline in popularity we see now. People aren't coming to Brann stadium because of Strømsgodset or Molde winning the league instead of Rosenborg, but because people have become alienated by years of arrogant and incompetent leadership, and with the ways teams are run elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case elsewhere too.

Edit:

Also found this graphic that shows that despite Norwegian teams being even more terrible than usual abroad this season, most teams have actually experienced an increase in attendances since last year so far. Despite two of the biggest clubs, Brann and Rosenborg, having a bad season.

Puseklepp fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 9, 2014

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

The No! Team posted:

Most importantly though, it completely overlooks the differnce between us and countries like Denmark and Scotland, which is the geography. I'm probably pretty biased coming from the far north, but I think it's insane to have league where some people live 20 hours away from the closest top league team (not counting Russia and such), which would be a real probability with a 12 team league.

Completely agree with this. What incentive does this give these people to give a drat about Norwegian football when it's being played 20 hours away and they can just as easily watch better football in England?

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I stand corrected on spectator numbers. And I'm not saying there's a magic league structure that makes us all world beaters, but it's worth considering a change if it will improve our teams outside of domestic competitions. Changing to 16 teams may have allowed local talent to grow, but that's not the sole reason. Teams verging on bankruptcy and if we get overly optimistic we might claim that some actual good work being done with youth teams might be a factor.

Speaking of local talent(although he's a bit old for that): Stabæk sold Fredrik Brustad to AIK. He's been really good this season(against us), but I'm a bit surprised he went to SWE, rather than moving on up in Norway.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

Lurgy posted:

And I'm not saying there's a magic league structure that makes us all world beaters, but it's worth considering a change if it will improve our teams outside of domestic competitions.

The problem is again, that there is no evidence that it'll actually help. It just seems to be built on the hunch that if you remove the "bad" teams, you'll get a good league. Which overlooks the fact that every popular league does it the same way we are doing now, and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Would the Premier League be better if you turned it to a 16 team league, with a split table? (lol, I just compared Tippeligaen to the Premier League)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Baggins posted:

Giving the TV rights to CMore was also a giant mistake, as was spreading the matches out so much. The core of Norwegian football should be Sundays at 18:00, not this hodge-podge of matches spread all over the place.

This is what killed it for me. I used to watch every drat Viking match, and a load of other matches/just have fotballextra on in the background but theres matches all over the place now and I have to pay a billion nok to watch it.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012
Me too. It seems pretty obvious that Tippeligaen needs TV2 more than TV2 needs Tippeligaen.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

One match saturday afternoon and the rest on Sunday evening. That alone would bump my interest up a lot.

Daniel Berntsen is back at Glimt again on loan for the rest of the season. Good player, but not exactly the type of player we need now.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Ah, balls...

That red for Kjartansson looked VERY harsh.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Clear booking all day long. Wrong colour of the card, is all.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Balls, poo poo result, weird red card.

Bring back one game on saturday and the rest on sunday. I'd probably pay for a subscription to something and go to more games again.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That may be the strangest red card Ive ever seen. Theres absolutely zero reason to believe he did anything to warrant a red. Sure, its a yellow for holding, but I cant possibly imagine what goes through the refs head there. Baffling.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Tippeligaen would be better if it was more norwegian players. I hate the fact that 0 people from the trøndelag region are playing for Rosenborg. I have literally 0 interest in watching a bunch of swedes and danish people run around on a pitch calling themselves Rosenborg, if i want mercenary oval office fotball then i can watch a bigger european league.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Literally 0 interest would explain why you're not able to count the trønders.

Stabæk took a point at Molde today! Maybe there's still a chance... for Odd to take the title

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012
WTF, Hamkam has a player named "Ice-Cream" according to vglive.

That's... cool?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
NFF is really considering a 12 team league with a playoff to find the league champion. That means a split after 22 games, where the league winner (after 22 games) could end up as number four. This is their way of strengthening the norwegian football.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
They hired a team of dutch experts to look at whats best for norwegian football, didnt they? Im eagerly awaiting the decision to play through the winter as well.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I think we'll see a shift towards the danish system, combined with a bastard between the dutch and the belgium system. 10-12 teams, three or four rounds with a split after two or three rounds.

Transfer related: RBK got a icelandic defender and possibly a striker from Slovakia, both on loan. Vålerenga are about to sell Ivan Näsberg to Sogndal for about 1 mill NOK.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

azathosk posted:

I think we'll see a shift towards the danish system, combined with a bastard between the dutch and the belgium system. 10-12 teams, three or four rounds with a split after two or three rounds.

Transfer related: RBK got a icelandic defender and possibly a striker from Slovakia, both on loan. Vålerenga are about to sell Ivan Näsberg to Sogndal for about 1 mill NOK.

no trønders???

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
RBK tried to sign a trønder, but he turned them down. :haw:

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game

azathosk posted:

Transfer related: RBK got a icelandic defender and possibly a striker from Slovakia, both on loan.

Eyjolfsson is a free transfer signing on a one year deal with an option to extend for another two. Malec has apparently signed a four year contract. Now to keep fingers crossed and hope they're not poo poo.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Lurgy posted:

Eyjolfsson is a free transfer signing on a one year deal with an option to extend for another two. Malec has apparently signed a four year contract. Now to keep fingers crossed and hope they're not poo poo.

Oh. VG/DB claimed both was a loan deal earlier today.

Diego Calvo on loan to IFK Gøteborg is a done deal.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Well my sources aren't much better. Seems Malec is in fact a loan, but also with the option to buy. Interesting choice, he has 11 matches to impress, and that's presumably while Søderlund is the preferred striker.

E: Did anything happen with Marcus Pedersen?

More E: Barely asked the question and I read about him heading to Brann. Also an interesting choice!

Huckert fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 11, 2014

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light

azathosk posted:

Diego Calvo on loan to IFK Gøteborg is a done deal.

This sounds like a good move, although a loan's bit strange. Any ideas of why he was loaned?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

SandersPacheco posted:

This sounds like a good move, although a loan's bit strange. Any ideas of why he was loaned?

He's been stagnant for Vålerenga and it seems the way we're playing at the moment doesn't suit him very well. A change of scenery might be good for him.

Marcus Pedersen to Brann is a very interesting move indeed. I'm still very sceptical about their chances to survive, but Pedersen might just be the man to help them do so.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
The disciplinary committee said that although there was reason for a red card to Kjartansson it wasn't that bad a foul. He's just out one, not two games.

Everyone who has seen the foul says that it is wrong.

And NFF wonder why we're laughing at them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The ref wrote in his report that Kjartansson knee'd the player in the back, and the diciplinary comitee said they saw exactly that on the tv footage. What the actual gently caress? Someone needs to fire them all into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

Tippeligaen would be better if it was more norwegian players. I hate the fact that 0 people from the trøndelag region are playing for Rosenborg. I have literally 0 interest in watching a bunch of swedes and danish people run around on a pitch calling themselves Rosenborg, if i want mercenary oval office fotball then i can watch a bigger european league.

Brann has lots of people from Bergen in their main squad. Doesn't really help on attendance though.

• Locked thread