Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

It could just be that I started in the "Anthony is going on his racist rant again" but I actually enjoy Opie's stuff and find his attempts to annoy the audience/ant/jimmy by taking calls from Lady Di or bringing in Dennis Falcone pretty funny. Could you elaborate on what you find annoying about Opie?

Some of the other posters have summed it up, but I don't see Opie as the funny guy. But that's not really his role, he's more of the director/producer type for the program, and he's pretty good at that. For me, his attempts at jokes feel too much like the work of an unfunny frat boy who is trying too hard. Often his personality just comes across as someone trying to be an early 1990s "cool guy". Plus whenever he does get a good line, he drives it into the ground, both on the show and usually Twitter afterwards.

That being said, when he does bring in a Bobo/Lady Di phone call to everyone's chagrin, I do end up enjoying that. I might find him annoying pretty often, but I don't think I would ever say the show would be better without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Op's just not a funny dude. He has funny ideas and poo poo, but you're not getting a nice 1 liner from him. And unless he's blowing up an interview angry opie is just a dumbass.

Unrelated, here's one thing that does bug me about Jimmy is his nonchalant attitude towards sex abuse victims. Even dumb Bob Kelly could make the point it's tough for them to speak out about what happened especially when the abuser especially when it's someone as beloved as michael jackson was.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There are plenty of reasons to not like Opie, as has been mentioned, for me it's how thin skinned he is. They're surrounded by comedians that tear into each other all the time, but Opie can't take any criticism at all without blowing up.

I'm also just going to let this speak for itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGs4ss7zvQ

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I think everyone can be pretty thin skinned when the right insecurity is attacked, Opie is just real bad at hiding it. Christ even Colin got hurt over a crack about his chicken legs.

The real hero is Jimmy being called an unfinished clone and not killing himself.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Most people can't handle real things about them being made the center of a joke of a large radio show. Opie is an average dude that is above average at managing a radio show. Imagine a journeyman point guard that was really good at passing and he had Michael Jordan and Lebron James to pass to, that's Opie.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Opie was also more valuable during the shock jock days. Being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat to people made for good radio. His stunts were unique and he was great anytime they attacked another show. That stuff just isn't interesting anymore and he's not funny enough to hang with professional comics that became a bigger part of the show.

1500quidporsche posted:

My understanding is that the racism thing really started ramping up in 2008 (take a guess why), and from what I've listened to Opie has either tapped out or tried to steer the conversation in a new direction when Anthony did his Stormfront Power Hour. My feeling is that Opie knows that Opie and Anthony as a brand was worth more than either of them separately, and given how some people rag on him for not being funny he felt roughing it out was the best course.

AS for Jimmie, there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. He can be extremely selective when it comes time to calling people out.

I think it had more to do with them being dropped from CBS. They kept the show relatively "clean" during that time. After that it seemed like they just did whatever they wanted to do because XM and eventually Sirius didn't give a poo poo.

Also Jim didn't "call people out" for the same reason Opie didn't. Because it's a morning radio show that is supposed to be funny and serious discussions about gender and race are not all that entertaining. The shows premise was terrible people saying and doing terrible things that turned out to be funny.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

BigPoot posted:

Ant's racism was always insinuated more than overt before, but he went full on klan the past few years. Previously it would usually take the form of a quick joke that could have been made completely in jest rather than actual racism.

yeah there was tons of funny poo poo when it was just subtle jokes, like the 'black news' bit they did with Patrice which was genuinely loving genius

also any time someone is chatting poo poo about Ope I just think of "I could have been a model!"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Shock jock stuff just doesn't work on Sirius. It requires a constant flow of new people coming in and the ability to get into situations where you can do terrible things. That can't happen when everybody needs a background check to get into the building and they can't leave their broom closet.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Huh. Well Dan Soder and Big Jay Oakerson got their own show.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

eightysixed posted:

On Sirius?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

eightysixed posted:

Jesus, if it's on Sirius I might resubscribe for that.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Yeahp. The promo just said the Comedy Central channel.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

eightysixed posted:

Well that's both unexpected and awesome.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

eightysixed posted:

yeah, that's really awesome. Two of my favorite ron and fez guests. Big jay might be my favorite comedian curently

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Good. Now bring back Special Delivery.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

An Enormous Boner posted:

Good. Now bring back Sam and Than

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

An Enormous Boner posted:

Good. Now bring back Uninformed.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Why is no one saying: "great, now bring back Ant"?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

spudsbuckley posted:

I think you know why.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm totally ok w/this.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Looks like the Soder/Oakerson show is just one hour every Tuesday. Better than nothing, I guess.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cromulent posted:

Looks like the Soder/Oakerson show is just one hour every Tuesday. Better than nothing, I guess.

Why would anybody agree to a weekly show with Sirius? You get no heat from it, no real money and they'll never upgrade you to a daily show.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

spudsbuckley posted:

:smith:

Maybe I was the only one who actually enjoyed that show. Oh well.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

CrashCat posted:

:smith:

Maybe I was the only one who actually enjoyed that show. Oh well.
Lots of people can't support a racist in any endeavor and it tarnishes their view of them wholesale. I'm personally able to compartmentalize and still find Ant to be hilarious and absolutely vital to the show. O&J is unlistenable, and Ant's new show, especially after only 3 days, is actually pretty good. I still think the instant paywall is a bad move, but at least I have a friend with a sub.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
"I don't think the O and A days are over. I think we're just taking a break right now." - Opie today. There must be a lot of talk going on behind the scenes.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Cromulent posted:

Lots of people can't support a racist in any endeavor and it tarnishes their view of them wholesale. I'm personally able to compartmentalize and still find Ant to be hilarious and absolutely vital to the show. O&J is unlistenable, and Ant's new show, especially after only 3 days, is actually pretty good. I still think the instant paywall is a bad move, but at least I have a friend with a sub.

O&J show has been great.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TwistedNails posted:

O&J show has been great.

Yeaup, it's the first time I've kept up with the show on a daily basis in years

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stokes posted:

"I don't think the O and A days are over. I think we're just taking a break right now." - Opie today. There must be a lot of talk going on behind the scenes.

Probably a smart thing to do since Ant is riding the racist train and seems to be actively courting it right now. It's one thing to be loyal, but it's another to flush your career because your co-host flipped out on Twitter to the point of losing his job due to the fear of the anger expressed. How can anybody really try to pull him back into the show when the only attention he's getting is 'look at what a bigot this guy is?'

I kinda feel bad for Opie in this regard. He really can't win by doing anything.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
AHAHAHA that scream when jay said the hotline number on air AHAHAHAHA

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Hahaha, Jay Mohr just blurted out Anthony's hotline number like 5 seconds into the call.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stokes posted:

Hahaha, Jay Mohr just blurted out Anthony's hotline number like 5 seconds into the call.
And the call waiting beeps came in seconds later. :allears:

He addressed the Political Cesspool thing today but nobody gives a poo poo.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
I'm watching yesterday's show with the news anchor... Ant needs someone running the board so that he's not distracted. It's weird when two people have a conversation staring ahead into the camera. It was fun watching the news anchor try not to say friend of the family.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Holy poo poo that sperm doner comment...I feel a gbs thread coming on

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

O&J show has been great.
I liked the Soder shows, but there haven't been many laughs for me otherwise. Just an uncomfortable vibe in the studio where it feels like Jim just doesn't really want to "step up" in fear of taking Ant's spot or something.

And I didn't get the "total racist" vibe from the news anchor at all. In fact, despite him being right-wing I actually thought he showed a degree of genuine empathy for the black community when speaking on the inner-city reporting he's done. Of course, talking about young black kids who seem to have PTSD thousand-yard stares played as comedy to Ant.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Cromulent posted:

And I didn't get the "total racist" vibe from the news anchor at all. In fact, despite him being right-wing I actually thought he showed a degree of genuine empathy for the black community when speaking on the inner-city reporting he's done. Of course, talking about young black kids who seem to have PTSD thousand-yard stares played as comedy to Ant.

I found some of it kind of interesting even though I disagreed with alot of it. The thing I was referring to specifically was there was a part in the first few minutes of his segment where he's angry and he was like "THESE.........FUCKHEADS" and Ant made a face like "ahhhh I know what you wanted to say there..." But yeah, I agree with you, I'm not comparing him to Ant.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Anthony and his guest are actively trying to never get on FOX again at this moment.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

4outof5 posted:

Anthony and his guest are actively trying to never get on FOX again at this moment.
Is it that Gavin guy from Vice? He says all kinds of crazy poo poo and I think he still appears on Fox.

Speaking of Vice, this Uncle Paul sketch from Jimmy's new show is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aYUrqVCodw

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

I'm looking forward to hearing Florentine's two-hour show on the channel tonight. His rants are hilarious.

I've also been enjoying the hell out of Vos and Bonnie's show the past few Tuesdays. Never bothered to check out their podcast but the show they've been doing on SiriusXM has been awesome.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

spudsbuckley posted:

I just want the people who are desperately lying to themselves that the show has been really good lately to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I just want the people who are desperately lying to themselves that the show has been really good lately to stop.

He's right. The show hasn't been good for years.

• Locked thread