Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
They should have a mode which let's you watch the segments when you hold your camcorder up. Ala found footage movie.

e: vvv well what do ya know. It's about the same length as a feature film too.

Acquire Currency! posted:

The storage and resources that would take up would be crazy.

Oh I hear ya, it'd be pretty darn nuts

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stringbean posted:

They should have a mode which let's you watch the segments when you hold your camcorder up. Ala found footage movie.

I'd love to see the results of someone on YouTube taking all the camcorder parts of the LP and stitching them together into a single "movie".

Edit: Oh hey.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stringbean posted:

The storage and resources that would take up would be crazy.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Though I do see why a lot of people found the depiction of the mentally ill in this game insulting, too. :v:

As someone who is "mentally ill" herself, and who have friends who are too, I find that ridiculous. Mostly because I would imagine that the ones who weren't "altered" or violent to begin with would have been the first to die anyway.

I am more annoyed as a female if we are talking about offensive depictions. Why bother with a female ward if you aren't going to have any female models? It would have been easy to make it anything else, mental hospitals doesn't put all the varieties of crazy in one place. Even going by early 1900s classification they housed people by violent and nonviolent patients. Putting in a female ward with no females instead gives the unfortunate impression that not a single woman was strong enough to survive when hell broke loose.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Thesaya posted:

Putting in a female ward with no females instead gives the unfortunate impression that not a single woman was strong enough to survive when hell broke loose.

I can absolutely see how someone could see it that way, but from what I... remember, a note in the DLC provides a proper explanation for this. The game is not trying to imply this.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

DumbRodent posted:

I can absolutely see how someone could see it that way, but from what I... remember, a note in the DLC provides a proper explanation for this. The game is not trying to imply this.

Yeah, I mostly mentioned it in relation to the depiction of mental illness. I still feel that they handled it clumsily, especially since the explanation isn't even in the main game.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Thesaya posted:

Yeah, I mostly mentioned it in relation to the depiction of mental illness. I still feel that they handled it clumsily, especially since the explanation isn't even in the main game.

That's fair!
Note that the only reference to a female patient- a note in Darkness- is from quite a while before Murkoff purchased and repurposed the facility. The female ward was a now-superfluous part of the original building.
It's not the most graceful execution, but they did try to provide clues in the original game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Isn't it a depiction of people driven mad by an unknowable evil force and its mind-altering powers?

I mean, sure, if that's what you think real world schizophrenia is.
In an asylum? I dunno, mostly I just felt it was lazy, rather than insulting, how you mostly seem to deal with either being ignored or violent, with only a few scared dudes as jump scares. The one guy we meet who seems on the up says one line before we leave?

Thesaya posted:

As someone who is "mentally ill" herself, and who have friends who are too, I find that ridiculous. Mostly because I would imagine that the ones who weren't "altered" or violent to begin with would have been the first to die anyway.
That's fair enough. Just think that it's a bit of a shame that you never really manage to empathize strongly with any of the inmates, because it's a solid core for some good horror and really, you just avoid all of them, like DR starts doing later on because, hey, there's no reason to approach them if you don't have to.

Thesaya posted:

I am more annoyed as a female if we are talking about offensive depictions. Why bother with a female ward if you aren't going to have any female models? It would have been easy to make it anything else, mental hospitals doesn't put all the varieties of crazy in one place. Even going by early 1900s classification they housed people by violent and nonviolent patients. Putting in a female ward with no females instead gives the unfortunate impression that not a single woman was strong enough to survive when hell broke loose.
I'd say it's a side-effect of the whole 'male is the default sex' thing, in that by adding women the violence would become gendered, with all the bad poo poo that implies such as sexual violence and uhh, rape as a horror device is something that I shun pretty heavily in any media and I'm not alone in that. Still dumb to keep the ward named that seeing as it mostly seemed to have been turned into an admin building?

So it would be a lot of hot water for not much gain. Especially as they haven't been, exactly, how to say it, subtle, in their execution thus far. (Like Miles poor drat fingats)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I believe the devs have set it up so that women will exist in Outlast 2, so there's that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Speedball posted:

I believe the devs have set it up so that women will exist in Outlast 2, so there's that.
Considering what the game is about, I'm sure people will find a reason to complain about that as well.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
It's pretty much impossible not to offend someone these days. I don't really blame the developers for playing it safe and not including female inmate models.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, I really agree. Realism or no realism, in the end it was definitely the sensible choice to make in a game about cannibalistic naked rape crazies.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh man, I cannot wait for people's reactions to Whistleblower. :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1stGear posted:

Oh Jesus Christ.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

Please don't flag DR's videos when he does Whistleblower.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Agh, not this again. You can't crucify somebody through the hands and have that support any kind of weight. So when the dude's flailing around in agony he should just end up ripping free and staggering forward, knocking the key toward us and catching some pews on fire or something.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Glazius posted:

Agh, not this again. You can't crucify somebody through the hands and have that support any kind of weight. So when the dude's flailing around in agony he should just end up ripping free and staggering forward, knocking the key toward us and catching some pews on fire or something.

Tbh that probably would have been more horrifying. Out of everything else this game does I found the crusifiction to be pretty underwealming. But that is probably down to the fact that is not something happening to you directly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Considering what the game is about, I'm sure people will find a reason to complain about that as well.
:shrug: That ain't a bad thing necessarily. As long as you realize why folks complain and respond respectfully most reasonable people will respond favourably.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Deceitful Penguin posted:

:shrug: That ain't a bad thing necessarily. As long as you realize why folks complain and respond respectfully most reasonable people will respond favourably.

:allears: There's so many delightful ways to respond to THAT, starting with the "vocal minority" idea and going on to the fact that this game's audience seems to largely consist of people who like seeing grown men scream like a girl.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OP hasn't screamed yet

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

supermikhail posted:

:allears: There's so many delightful ways to respond to THAT, starting with the "vocal minority" idea and going on to the fact that this game's audience seems to largely consist of people who like seeing grown men scream like a girl.
Oh, you don't have to actually do what they want, just try and understand where they come from. If that place is a shithead full of morons, well.

Also is a bad feeling to have caught up and having to wait for updates. That's the real tragedy here.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Acquire Currency! posted:

OP hasn't screamed yet

For which we all thank him, I think. Too many horror games have every shred of good smushed out of them in lets plays because some shrieking fools believe the sight of them acting scared is so much funnier than the games plot, atmosphere, etc... I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it is refreshing to see a serious LP that lets a game with good atmosphere have its atmosphere.

As for Whistleblower, I'm looking forward to it too, but hadn't we better wait until it happens to discuss it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
DumbRodent, can we get a Scarecam video of you explaining the options menu? Please and Thank You, don't forget the casual rape jokes!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Not only did I missed the last update I missed the previous one too. Time to catch up!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
I hope you're ready for how much I ham up the commentary here. I'm sort of proud. You're welcome/I'm sorry.

Episode Ten- The Modern Prometheus -Video!-

Documents & Notes

• Under the Mountain, recorded upon losing all hope of leaving Mount Massive Asylum.

• The Pride of Wisdom, found on the front desk of Wernicke's insanely rad evil scientist ice cave lair.

• Variant Postmortem Page 1, Page 2 ("...Therapy is interacting with our chemical restraints in a counterproductive manner.") Found in room A 004 of the underground lab.

• Morphogenic Formula, recorded by Miles after finding some scribbled Wernicke-isms on a whiteboard.

• Death of the Soldier, recorded by Miles after finally being freed of a relentless pursuer. I'll almost miss him.

• Gods and Monsters, probably one of my favorite documents in the game. :cthulhu:

• Wernicke's Machine, recorded upon laying eyes on the Morphogenic Engine itself.

• Billy Hope, recorded upon getting a good look at the poor bastard at the center of all the madness.

• Morphogenic Engine Chamber Precautions Page 1, Page 2 ("... minimum life support functions until technicians can arrive. DISABLING FAILSAFE WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE PATIENT TERMINATION."), found sitting on the Morphogenic Engine control panel next to Billy Hope.

• Life Support, recorded while Miles muses over the bedlam of expensive machinery keeping poor Hope locked in his torment.

• The Modern Prometheus, more Mary Shelley quoting by Wernicke found on a desk in one of the life support rooms.

• Permission to Proceed, just in case you needed it reinforced that Murkoff are a bunch of mean jerks.

• DEATH OF HOPE, the final note in Outlast. Why isn't there a Junko emote? I want to put a Junko emote here.

Oh, and regarding the Morphogenic Formula note:

blankd posted:

I'm no math wizard, but from what I can read and some cursory googling, the top row is talking about derivatives and some (N)umber being divided by what appears to be a specific (P)oint on a circle (2pi).

The other two formulas appear to be talking about pattern formation variations as well as the degree of the pattern forming(??) as well as partial derivatives (the "backwards" 6's).

If I were to make a really uneducated guess it looks like a formula for making moving patterns (I'm making a BIG assumption on what the x & y and h & k mean- in that they are moving along an axis). Whether or not these formulas could actually create anything close to the patterns seen in game, I have no idea since some parts of the equations look wonky, but that could just be me. :v: someone else please take a stab at it

Either way, there are some other interesting things you can probably branch out from some of these wiki entries since they might shed some light on what the devs were working with:
Morphogenesis, Pattern Formation.

Again, not a math person by any means, but hope that's interesting anyway!

With that, we're done with Outlast proper!

It's not time to roll the credits just yet, though.
Whistleblower soon.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 12, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah yes, the hard left into crazy town.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm going to wait a bit before I throw in my two cents, but I want to say right now, thank you. This was a fabulous debut LP and I love your work.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Honestly didn't expect that kinda ending. Whoa. So does Whistleblower expand on this trip down the rabbit hole or just make it wider?

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!
Can I just say that the final chapter was by far my least favorite part of the game. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth as the ending, and will probably cause a lot of people to forget how good the rest of the game is. I know I did until I replayed it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
FYI you're missing page two of those found documents.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Honestly didn't expect that kinda ending. Whoa. So does Whistleblower expand on this trip down the rabbit hole or just make it wider?

Whistleblower is certainly worth experiencing after the main game's ending, in my opinion. I'd agree with chitoryu that it's a little bit of both.
Personally, I think it makes Outlast more satisfying overall. Some people found it flatout unpleasant, on the other hand. I'll get to it pretty soon.

Discendo Vox posted:

FYI you're missing page two of those found documents.

They each had one or two sentences to their name. I just put the text of the second pages in the description.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 12, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nomadic Scholar posted:

From what I remember....it's kind of a mix.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thoughts/questions I had about this game at this point:

1. Where the hell were those guys all this time?

2. Morphogenic engine only works on people who have been exposed to enough horror. Well, Miles has certainly been exposed to enough horror, but do you also remember the times patients were chasing us like crazy, yelling "THIS is the experiment!" or the one guy who said "What kind of experiment would the dead perform on the living? THIS ONE." They were all correct. Exposing us to more horror as a reaction to the horror they themselves have faced spread the experiment to us.

3. How did Trager become all mutated like the other Morphogenic Engine patients? Well, maybe he got a bit too close to the Walrider, or the test machine that shoots ink blots into your face, or something.

4. Magic or mundane? Nanomachines or a spirit? Maybe both at once? When dealing with something that can only be reproduced by pure evil and total madness, who can say?

5. For a guy who perpetuated all these experiments Wernicke doesn't seem all that mean or cruel when you talk to him. Maybe he's like those Manhatten Project scientists, after a while he just got so into the science he forgot about the horror of what he was creating.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
A lot of the scientists for Germany didn't see what they were doing as wrong back then. It was truly sort of the feeling that they were going to push humanity to its limits. The feeling I get from Wernicke is akin to the feeling I got from my great grandfather, who was part of the SS during the war, that when he was doing the experiments, he didn't see anything wrong with them, but now, so many years down the road, constantly living with his decision's, has turned him into the man we see at the end of the game

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I got a huge F.E.A.R. vibe from that ending, which was kinda disappointing.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Secret underground labs? The evidence that Murkoff are actually Umbrella just keeps on growing.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

I seem to be in the minority, but I didn't really mind the ending, maybe because I didn't expect things to go well for Miles, even after all the poo poo that happened to him.

I also liked the end part of the game, the shift from asylum to some kind of laboratory setting made a kind of sense, as it seemed to be hinting at this through the game. I also got a kick out of the "science gone wrong" angle.

The DLC definitely made me enjoy the ending even more, even though I liked it anyway.

I enjoyed watching this let's play and I hope you do Whistleblower, at the very least. What I mean by this is that I would like to watch let us play videos of you playing other games too tia in advance

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Also, can someone who understands math above a basic highschool level tell me if this actually means anything

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Great LP well done,

Was not expecting the ending to work quite like that. I thought they might just drag him off into the ball thing as a punishment for screwing everything up!

But I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hoo nelly, around 14 minutes was great.

He can't go through doors? Weird. Okay, okay...wait what i-THERE'S TWO DOORS THERE'S TWO DOORS AHHHHHH

Seeing a non-screamer LP of this is pretty good, I'm digging it.

• Locked thread