Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe he really hates expressive faces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Everyone looks like they are super elastic (besides Reed) because no facial feature seems to sit quite right (maybe the line thickness?). Mostly the "not quite front" shots of the faces.

But yeah I guess they are "expressive", if a bit play-doughie.

e: On second look, no it's plain bad.bad in a warm fuzzy way that makes me smile, but a really poor fit for this particular sort of issue (heroes dead, poo poo is poo poo etc).

Would probably fit something like X-Static a lot better (and change the meh-colorist).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 7, 2014

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Why does Sue grow a mustache in the last panel?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cryophage posted:

She is possessed by the spirit of Axe Cop.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!

Cryophage posted:

I wanna know where those sunglasses came from.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Vonder posted:

I wanna know where those sunglasses came from.

She was making them invisible then got tired.... DUH

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Chinaman7000 posted:

She was making them invisible then got tired.... DUH

Same with the stache.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Sue looks like a reversed version of that dude who eveyone seems to invariably post in response to pics of someone's arse or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pimpmust posted:

But the worst is the "prequel" known only as Survive! (This horrible art)

Cryophage posted:

Sentinel Red posted:

Sue looks like a reversed version of that dude who eveyone seems to invariably post in response to pics of someone's arse or something.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man, I knew it was reminding me of that one!

It's so good the artist used it twice, three pages apart.

(The eyebrows are different and he added a crease above and below the mouth and heavier ink to the throat!)

e: Lots of tiny changes on closer inspection, mostly inking though (no inker credited, so I assume the artist went over the same base picture again)

To be fair, this is more effort than most artist go to when reusing art. Most of them would just fill up 1 page with the same face with different words over it.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 8, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Pimpmust posted:

Man, I knew it was reminding me of that one!

It's so good the artist used it twice, three pages apart.

(The eyebrows are different and he added a crease above and below the mouth and heavier ink to the throat!)

e: Lots of tiny changes on closer inspection, mostly inking though (no inker credited, so I assume the artist went over the same base picture again)

To be fair, this is more effort than most artist go to when reusing art. Most of them would just fill up 1 page with the same face with different words over it.

It looks like two completely different Inks over the same pencils, but it also looks like the exact same colors on both panels. :iiam:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

You've missed that her chin, her sun glasses, her ear and the entirety of her hair are different.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All still enjoying Jeff Parker's Flash Gordon (not Aquaman, oops) right?

tenniseveryone fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 13, 2014

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

That Sue Storm is Quinones? Who's inking? Because it is not great

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tenniseveryone posted:

All still enjoying Jeff Parker's Aquaman, right?

:swoon:

Is the rest of the book as good as that panel?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

prefect posted:

:swoon:

Is the rest of the book as good as that panel?

As good as that gag is, I saw it first in the Weapon Brown Peanuts riff by Jason Yungbluth...right before Flash's head gets bitten off by H.O.B.B.E.S.

Source: Weapon Brown Chapter 6

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 8, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Reading some of the early Captain Marvel stuff, and it's just full of scenes where they try and turn Rick Jones of all people into the baddest, most jive-talkin' turkey of the decade.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 8, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

Reading some of the early Captain Marvel stuff, and it's just full of scenes where they try and turn Rick Jones of all people into the baddest, most jive-talkin' turkey of the decade.

Nah, Rick's not a badass. He's an angry teenager with delusions of grandeur. (Okay, maybe they're not as delusional as most.)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

hup posted:

That Sue Storm is Quinones? Who's inking? Because it is not great

There's no inker credited at all, and Quinones is also credited as a second colorist :iiam:
Rainier Beredo is the main colorist.

I assume all the inking is Quinones.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As good as that gag is, I saw it first in the Weapon Brown Peanuts riff by Jason Yungbluth...right before Flash's head gets bitten off by H.O.B.B.E.S.

Source: Weapon Brown Chapter 6

Help I don't get it either time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

theflyingorc posted:

Help I don't get it either time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Y'all are old.

X-23 Vol2 #17

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squidster posted:

Y'all are old.

X-23 Vol2 #17

The second page alone makes me feel more positively towards X-23 than I would have otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

The second page alone makes me feel more positively towards X-23 than I would have otherwise.

It was a really good run that did more for the character than just about anything else featuring her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sana Takeda is still the only artist that I've seen that can draw the Richards kids as kids. Val is supposed to be like 5, I think (?), but every artist I've seen draw the FF since I started reading the book draws her as like 12.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'm probably being pedantic, but it really bugs me that Reed's speech goes into a box in that one panel, even though it still takes place in the same room, and then Reed's followup words are in a balloon again. What? Why?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

davidspackage posted:

I'm probably being pedantic, but it really bugs me that Reed's speech goes into a box in that one panel, even though it still takes place in the same room, and then Reed's followup words are in a balloon again. What? Why?

Good God I can't unsee it now and it bugs the hell out of me too.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

davidspackage posted:

The blue box is the end of the Reed flashback, the speech balloon is Tony at Cap's funeral.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Sana Takeda is still the only artist that I've seen that can draw the Richards kids as kids. Val is supposed to be like 5, I think (?), but every artist I've seen draw the FF since I started reading the book draws her as like 12.

He's a bit too anime for my tastes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

He's a bit too anime for my tastes.

:flashfact: She.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh no a Japanese artist is TOO ANIME whatever will we do

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's why I said for my tastes rather than SHE is an objectively terrible artist.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Lurdiak posted:

It was a really good run that did more for the character than just about anything else featuring her.

That entire run could be just be used as an excuse for this one gag on this one cover and I would not have a problem.:

Yup. I'm fuckin' OLD.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 8, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Batman ’66 Meets the Green Hornet #6

Avengers World #10

From http://4thletter.net/2014/08/this-week-in-panels-week-254/

KayTee posted:

That entire run could be just be used as an excuse for this one gag on this one cover and I would not have a problem.:

Yup. I'm fuckin' OLD.
While X23 isn't looking at the viewer, Little Girl Thor is intact, therefore it is a success.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Batman ’66 Meets the Green Hornet #6

I know it's a comic and everything, but Kato was played by Bruce Lee in the 60's tv show, that fight would last one 2-inch punch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I know it's a comic and everything, but Kato was played by Bruce Lee in the 60's tv show, that fight would last one 2-inch punch.

They did a TV crossover and they fought to a standstill. Of course in real life, the result would be a Burt Ward shaped smear on the floor...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They did a TV crossover and they fought to a standstill. Of course in real life, the result would be a Burt Ward shaped smear on the floor...

Bruce Lee flexing his muscles would have killed everyone in the room, including the film crew.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Question IRL posted:

Bruce Wayne: Thank heavens it was sent on Beta. Whoever sent this was clearly on my intelligence level, as we both have successfully predicted that Betamax will win the upcoming technological competition.

There you have it folks. Batman, the Worlds Greatest Detective. But not so much when it comes to adoption of technology. The scene where Batman has to spend thousands getting rid of his Batman HD-DVD drives and replacing them with Blu-Ray drives is pretty grim.

Edit: On second viewing, the cassette being put into the machine is clearly a VHS tape and not a Betamax one. As can be seen here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

The Worlds Greatest Detective ladies and gentlemen.

Could be a poorly-drawn Betacam (the evolved pro version of Betamax) tape, as shown at top here:

The Fuji one is VHS, and the other one is consumer Betamax. I wouldn't put it past the Riddler to hijack a cable news studio to make his videos. Or Bruce Wayne to have a TV-studio VCR. The size of the spools in the comic looks like Betacam, VHS has much bigger spools. Edit: on the other hand, the two-window Betacam SP came out in '86, but I wouldn't put it past the comics to get some early product-placement payola in. More likely, he drew a VHS tape so badly it just happened to look like the next year's Betacam.

Have some Transmetropolitan #50 to atone for sperging about videotape formats.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I recall reading about that episode, and apparently the director had to keep asking Lee to please slow his moves down because the cameramen couldn't keep up with him.

• Locked thread