Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dibujante posted:

It's a catch-22. The game makes people mad because it's early access. But had they not released it early access, they wouldn't have the funding to make it.
Also, the fanbase was demanding that they release it and getting super mad when they weren't meeting release dates that the fandom pushed them into prematurely guessing at in the first place. I saw countless impassioned pleas to Chucklefish along the lines of "Just give us what you have now! We saw the demo that Yogscast played, just give us that! We'll be understanding that it's not finished, we'll be forgiving of any incomplete aspects!" and then of course the second they actually got it that went out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I know it's probably a pipe dream, but I'd really like to see different planets have semi-randomized ores that you can experiment with and alloy together to combine their properties. So you might find Wilwheatonium on one planet and discover it has really good fire-resistant properties, and alloy it with that rad high-defense Sparklerockite you've been hoarding to make a strong suit of fire-resistant armour to fight the dragon boss. Exploring even a fairly dull planet would be potentially very exciting then, and the gear progression would be different every time.

Even if it's just something you can add on to existing armors that'd be pretty fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ernie Muppari posted:

Even if it's just something you can add on to existing armors that'd be pretty fun.

You could keep the same core progression by retaining the existing ores and recipes, but allowing the tiered-metal equipment (so iron, steel, titanium, etc weaponry and armour) to be "reinforced" with X bars of whatever randomized ores or alloys you've smelted up. You'd really only need one reinforcement slot per item, since that would still give you three slots to customize on your armour and a slot on each weapon you carry. Reinforced items could simply be tagged with the randomized ore used to buff them - a Wilwheatonium Raider's Chestplate and Sparklerockite Raider's Greaves, for example.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rrussom posted:

Biome:4chan

There's already a mod with poop biomes

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
So how is releasing an illegible design document anything other than a "gently caress you" from the head developer. What a joke this game turned out to be.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Arkanomen posted:

So how is releasing an illegible design document anything other than a "gently caress you" from the head developer. What a joke this game turned out to be.

I have no idea what this is referring to.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
A game called Starforge went on sale today. It shares a lot of similarities to Starbound in terms of ultimate goals. I started reading the Steam forums to see if it was a worthwhile purchase, and lo and behold, it's like reading the Starbound forums. Things arent done fast enough. People are banned for 'speaking the truth.' There isnt enough communication with the players and their great ideas.

Maybe it's just games with the word 'Star' in the title?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have no idea what this is referring to.

Tyiuri released "design documents" on his twitter. Opening the imgur link shows nothing but an illegible Visio flowchart.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Arkanomen posted:

Tyiuri released "design documents" on his twitter. Opening the imgur link shows nothing but an illegible Visio flowchart.

Hahahahah

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Arkanomen posted:

Never change Tiy :allears:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Tyi which one of these is "Piss off socially stunted Starbound backers"? Hopefully all of the circles, followed by "Nerd tears" in the rectangles.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ragequit posted:

Tyi which one of these is "Piss off socially stunted Starbound backers"? Hopefully all of the circles, followed by "Nerd tears" in the rectangles.

Someone please photoshop Dickbutt into this somewhere, tia.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Arkanomen posted:

Hopefully you are quoting someone from reddit/4chan

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Arkanomen posted:

Sounds like its working as intended. :allears:

Also you guys forgot to mention this tweet from yesterday, really makes it:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

goodness posted:

Not really. I was hoping with the nightly updates and some opening up of the behinds the scenes some new life would be blown into this dying game but doing something like this shows there is not not will there be any transparency into the development of this game. I had my fun but there's not going to be anything else. I've been lurking the drama around this game in various venues and honestly it's sad. Basically that tweet is the coffin nail for starbound that it now shares with mass effect 3 and Sim City 5. Take the money and run I guess.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno, "unfocused joke" is an exceptionally accurate description of Starbound's future.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Arkanomen posted:

Not really. I was hoping with the nightly updates and some opening up of the behinds the scenes some new life would be blown into this dying game but doing something like this shows there is not not will there be any transparency into the development of this game. I had my fun but there's not going to be anything else. I've been lurking the drama around this game in various venues and honestly it's sad. Basically that tweet is the coffin nail for starbound that it now shares with mass effect 3 and Sim City 5. Take the money and run I guess.

God, you give a manchild $15 to spend as they please, and they think they run the whole world. Yep. You own Chucklefish. That's you, you dashing venture capitalist, you!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Oh god the Starbound forums/subreddit/steam forums/4chan are leaking into this thread.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

goodness posted:

The posts are coming from inside the thread.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

Careful, you're disrupting their hugbox.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arkanomen posted:

not will there be any transparency into the development of this game
Are you loving for real, the development of this game is incredibly transparent. I'd even say too much so, given the way people respond and pick apart every single move the devs make.
Not putting out spoilers of every single thing they have planned is not the same as "no transparency".

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Arkanomen posted:

Devour or Fire posted:

I dunno, "unfocused joke" is an exceptionally accurate description of Starbound's future.

Hahahahaha I'm glad I don't have to go off-site anymore to read this kind of stuff.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Arkanomen posted:

One day you will come upon something that makes you laugh. That day, you will discover humor. And so it will be that all days after will be filled with joy.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bonermobile posted:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Devour or Fire posted:

"Unfocused joke" aptly describes just about all of the fan rage surrounding the game. There are plenty of legitimate ways to criticize Starbound w/r/t things like feature creep. Fuming about how they have the tenacity to get an office or sleep sometimes or not want to be the target of rape fanfic or somehow share more about their development process than the mounds of information they already share is just senile. The fan community won't be happy until they can personally lay a whip across Tiy's back as he commits line after line of code to a public repository so that the "fans" can wipe their sweaty brows (whipping is hard work, you know) and say "Yes, I did that :smug:"

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

bonermobile posted:

Yes because this thread has never criticized something about the game or the way the developers have handled something. Clearly all we do is stroke Chucklefish's ego all day.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wow being a game dev sounds tough.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm pretty sure some of that chart stuff is going to be expanded on in the nightly updates on our website that we post on nightly.

Feel free to get irrationally angry though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Yes because this thread has never criticized something about the game or the way the developers have handled something. Clearly all we do is stroke Chucklefish's ego all day.
Did they fix two dozen kinds of dirt cluttering your inventory in the unstable/nightlies yet?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Chucklefish has a whole bunch of fails lmao, yeah some people suck their dick but this isn't a hugbox thread you retard.

The dev banning a whole shitton of people on the Steam Forums then unbanning them then self banning. The whole 'haah no guys the horse was NEVER intended to be the actual AI :ssh:*. Having some of the devs engaging with 4chan /vg/. Making me moderator of their official forums. Not having a way to properly delete your loving character still. Mollygos could act more like an actual CM. Etc etc.

That goon completely missing the point of the tweets and being upset about them is funny as gently caress though.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Dibujante posted:

God, you give a manchild $15 to spend as they please, and they think they run the whole world. Yep. You own Chucklefish. That's you, you dashing venture capitalist, you!

I actually backed this game at a decently high tier and was excited to follow the development of, what I thought at the time, would be an exciting game. And yeah, up until the last big update in December it was a fun game and even had some interesting mods. I played well over 100 hours. But then updates stopped coming, nothing was really posted about development and it just died right off the radar. Who wouldn't be upset when their favorite tv show suddenly stopped airing and there was no news. so when the finally became vocal again about what changes were happening and planning I got excited again but nothing has come out recently besides forum drama and this document. As someone invested both emotionally and monetarily, I don't think I am off base feeling alienated.

Vib Rib posted:

Are you loving for real, the development of this game is incredibly transparent. I'd even say too much so, given the way people respond and pick apart every single move the devs make.
Not putting out spoilers of every single thing they have planned is not the same as "no transparency".

There is nothing to really to spoil in a game design document that wouldn't get posted to a wiki within the hour of an update being released. Showing the document would have been an act of good faith saying "hey, there's concerns about development, here is our complete plan that shows what we are working on." He could have even blacked out names and overwrote it with generic terms. Basically anything to show the direction the game is headed in. It would have been a nice gesture to calm down some of the drama. Yes there would be Nitpickers but as some who wants to see the the live again it would have gone a long way.

E: basically anything that would have shown that starbound isn't a dead game with no dev future would have been really nice. I guess it goes back on the shelf for me in the "play again in a year" category. Don't think I will do early access again.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jackard posted:

Did they fix two dozen kinds of dirt cluttering your inventory in the unstable/nightlies yet?

This has been explained to loving death but please never let facts get in the way of shitposting.

Tiy asked about how dirt should be handled, and it was an overwhelming vote towards separate dirts for aesthetic poo poo, and a piddling trickle of people for the idea of unified dirt.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Supernorn posted:

I'm pretty sure some of that chart stuff is going to be expanded on in the nightly updates on our website that we post on nightly.

Feel free to get irrationally angry though.

A higher resolution would be nice. Do you think you could get it under 30k so tyi can make it his avatar here? Thanks.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Magmarashi posted:

This has been explained to loving death but please never let facts get in the way of shitposting.

Tiy asked about how dirt should be handled, and it was an overwhelming vote towards separate dirts for aesthetic poo poo, and a piddling trickle of people for the idea of unified dirt.

Oddly the one thing Redditors could blame on Goons but they didn't

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Arkanomen posted:

I played well over 100 hours.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

I actually backed this game at a decently high tier and was excited to follow the development of, what I thought at the time, would be an exciting game. And yeah, up until the last big update in December it was a fun game and even had some interesting mods. I played well over 100 hours. But then updates stopped coming, nothing was really posted about development and it just died right off the radar. Who wouldn't be upset when their favorite tv show suddenly stopped airing and there was no news. so when the finally became vocal again about what changes were happening and planning I got excited again but nothing has come out recently besides forum drama and this document. As someone invested both emotionally and monetarily, I don't think I am off base feeling alienated.

There is nothing to really to spoil in a game design document that wouldn't get posted to a wiki within the hour of an update being released. Showing the document would have been an act of good faith saying "hey, there's concerns about development, here is our complete plan that shows what we are working on." He could have even blacked out names and overwrote it with generic terms. Basically anything to show the direction the game is headed in. It would have been a nice gesture to calm down some of the drama. Yes there would be Nitpickers but as some who wants to see the the live again it would have gone a long way.

E: basically anything that would have shown that starbound isn't a dead game with no dev future would have been really nice. I guess it goes back on the shelf for me in the "play again in a year" category. Don't think I will do early access again.

So if you had your 20bux back, would you be happy now?

Yeah you played 100+ hours. You just need a mod so you can play as a baby ingame.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
In my defense most of that time was the game alt-tabbed waiting for dumb crops to grow while I did other poo poo.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If only maturity grew as fast as pixelated corn.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Also note that the launcher doesn't close automatically and runs up hours for the game by design. It pleases Tiy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

Also note that the launcher doesn't close automatically and runs up hours for the game by design. It pleases Tiy.

Christ.. yeah.. wow.. this is the only way people have higher than 50 hours on the game huh.. I never realized this before :monocle:

• Locked thread