Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
For fist heals, the above two have mostly covered it. Definitely use Healing Sparks and Empowerment, and a second Fist builder to increase the number of HoTs you're applying. If you still need more passives, Brawler is useful because it increases your crit power. For my fist heal build I use the Issue 6 Egypt healing headpiece with the healing signet, which builds blood resources. It's a bit unreliable because the resource building is random, but it means you get a free Exquisite Corpse every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I'm Biblical ingame, and I'm just starting to come back into the game. I need help on builds. Currently I am feeling I should have 2 kind of builds for different situations in the game.

I was blade/chaos before I took a break, and have been trying to mirror a solo build I found on the internet. I don't have the details on me at the moment, but it has served me so far, until I got to Tokyo, in which I got my lunch served back to me. Currently I only have level 10 rares (the veteran stuff from the item shop) with two (10.1) purples from some of the issues. I prefer close combat as oppose to distant, so if anyone has a build that's has done really well in Tokyo, I would like to hear it.

Second is for the dungeons (in which I revert to a distance dps) ak/elemental. Currently I just started running elites, and wanted to see if there's a good build around ak/elemental that would make my life a bit easier in the dps role as I slowly gear up for hopefully nightmare runs. I like distance dps as it's much easier to dodge things and people don't yell at you because they keep targetting the wrong person to heal. If anyone have a better build for dps, I'm all ears for this.

In short, I would like help in building a solo build for tokyo, and a range dps build for elite dungeon leading up to nm.

While I stated my preference (blade/chaos) for solo, and (ak/elemental) for range, it's only because that's where most of my points went. If there's another build that is much easier or does a lot better, I'm willing to grind out the ap/sp to do so.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know if any of you care, but Bioware's new IP seems to be a Secret World-ish urban fantasy RPG that might or might not be called Shadow Realms. They've put out three teaser trailers so far:

Teaser 1.

Teaser 2.

Teaser 3.

This looks alright, but mostly it makes me loving angry that TSW wasn't a single-player RPG.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I don't trust bioware's writing anymore.
And I really doubt if they learned anything from swotor crashing and bombing and then becoming undead and crashing a 2nd time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tuluk posted:

And I really doubt if they learned anything from swotor crashing and bombing and then becoming undead and crashing a 2nd time.

There was a lot about SWTOR that I really liked. How badly has it done over the last year or two?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

prefect posted:

There was a lot about SWTOR that I really liked. How badly has it done over the last year or two?

I think it's actually, like, the third or fourth most profitable MMO right now.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

DailyDumSum posted:

Tokyo is hard

Tokyo is pretty hard when I first started it (And still is a bit hard now) and I had to change my build. Impairs seem to be good so I picked up the passive that says every time you crit you impair them. Ive seen you on cabal chat! We should party it up in tokyo.

Edit: SWTOR was a big investment and considered a flop. From what i've heard they kind of gouge you with the cash shop (wanna use purple items, you have to pay! Wanna spring, you have to pay)

Exmond fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 7, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

tuluk posted:

This could be the one they hired Failbetter for. Though frankly, while their style works for Fallen London, it absolutely hasn't for any of their other projects.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

When they broke away from MMO tradition, it was great (I can't say enough good things about delegating tradeskills to your companions) but they really let themselves down when they just copied stuff from WoW. It would have been bad enough had they copied from WoW as it was at the time, but they just slapped in the whole "3 skill trees full of filler per class" and "go back to town every level for +10 damage on a skill you only use for crowd control" nonsense from WoW at launch and it was terrible.

tuluk posted:

I'd be happy if they could just come up with a plot that wasn't "ancient evil returns".

Edit:

Exmond posted:

From what i've heard they kind of gouge you with the cash shop (wanna use purple items, you have to pay! Wanna spring, you have to pay)
Weren't they charging for cutscenes and extra action bars at one point?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Exmond posted:

Tokyo is pretty hard when I first started it (And still is a bit hard now) and I had to change my build. Impairs seem to be good so I picked up the passive that says every time you crit you impair them. Ive seen you on cabal chat! We should party it up in tokyo.

Edit: SWTOR was a big investment and considered a flop. From what i've heard they kind of gouge you with the cash shop (wanna use purple items, you have to pay! Wanna spring, you have to pay)

No, they turned poo poo around, mostly.

There's a lot of F2P restrictions but they all disappear if you pay for a sub. I've spent two months this spring playing through all the content that I wanted to play through and it was mostly a smooth experience. While you're at it, you can use in-game coin to purchase away most of the F2P restrictions. The only one I can think of that's annoying is a limit on how much money you can have without the rest going to escrow.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Traveling in SWTOR

0. Might have to get to zone near airport.
1. Enter airport.
2. Loading.
3. In airport, enter ship.
4. Loading.
5. In ship, travel.
6. Cutscene.
7. Loading.
8. In ship, exit ship.
9. Loading.
10. In airport, leave airport.
11. Loading.
12. In town, take flight run.
13. Maybe taxi ride.

TSW has the best mount system ever.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Traveling in SWTOR

0. Might have to get to zone near airport.
1. Enter airport.
2. Loading.
3. In airport, enter ship.
4. Loading.
5. In ship, travel.
6. Cutscene.
7. Loading.
8. In ship, exit ship.
9. Loading.
10. In airport, leave airport.
11. Loading.
12. In town, take flight run.
13. Maybe taxi ride.

TSW has the best mount system ever.

Oh yeah. That. Thanks for reminding me. :negative:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Megazver posted:

This looks alright, but mostly it makes me loving angry that TSW wasn't a single-player RPG.

When the first teaser came out, I only got some slight TSW vibes, but wow, you could throw "Everything Is True" onto the end of #2 and #3 and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Here's hoping they flat-out rip off the setting, story, and characters, because I doubt they'll be able to do a better job.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
BioWare has put out nothing but utterly horrible poo poo since 2010. I can't really get excited about their games any more.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I haven't played this game in a while, but I was recently playing through Wildstar's lovely knockoff of the Filth and it got me wondering; is Tokyo actually out, and is it any good?

How worthwhile it is it to redownload the game?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tokyo is pretty average at best, unless you're some sort of japanophile with an anime fuckpillow I suppose. While the quests are okay, there's not much content. It also introduces a bothersome shield mechanic, AEGIS, and the grind for it. Thankfully AEGIS only exists in Tokyo at the moment.

I'd say TSW is worth the download if you're still playing the main quest and all that. If you're at end game, I wouldn't bother. Unless you feel a compelling urge to grind nightmares and scenarios.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
That's a shame, I genuinely enjoyed the last few issues they'd done, especially Tyler Freeborn and the one that actually wrapped up Transylvania. :(

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

RPZip posted:

That's a shame, I genuinely enjoyed the last few issues they'd done, especially Tyler Freeborn and the one that actually wrapped up Transylvania. :(

Yeah, me too. They were vastly superior to what Tokyo is at the moment.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Getting to the Filth-clone zones was the straw on the camel's back when it came to me quitting Wildstar.

I think I just knew deep down that it would never be comparable to "and you will be reborn... in a fashion".

Edit: MY SCHWARTZ MIRAGE IN THE DESERT

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 8, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would this be worth reinstalling just for the story they've released since I quit? I think I stopped playing around the time they added, um...the rocket launcher I think? I keep remembering the story and NPCs and miss the game terribly, but I burnt myself out on it so bad. :smith:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

There's plenty of good issues after #2 with the rocket launcher, but you'll want to consider the cost before you take the plunge. Took a screenshot from the tsw web store;

Issues 3 and 4 aren't there so I'm guessing those are free. Note though that I'm not subscribing and if you're gonna get into the issues, you'll want to subscribe which gives you a store discount of xx% and xxxx funcum cash, forgot the exact amounts.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Issues 6 & 7 are incredible, everything after is pretty hit and miss. I think the rocket launcher was Issue 7 anyway so you may already have them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brain In A Jar posted:

Issues 6 & 7 are incredible, everything after is pretty hit and miss. I think the rocket launcher was Issue 7 anyway so you may already have them.

Agreeing with the issues 6 & 7 analysis. So much fun.

And did anyone ever have a ranged-DPS assault rifle build? I know there was some talk about it earlier.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

7 was the flamethrower wasn't it?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

Looked at some Wiki that said issue 2, it's probably correct since I got a vague recollection of it being the first aux weapon.

Looked at subscriber benefits by the way, it's 10% discount to store and free fc cash for :10bux: for one month sub.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

prefect posted:

And did anyone ever have a ranged-DPS assault rifle build? I know there was some talk about it earlier.

Yes, many of them, though I don't know what balance changes have done to them. What other weapon do you want? Shotgun and Elemental were popular choices back in the day; not sure if Blood is viable. Pistol was a thing but I believe Zepho said the build we used -- I got it from her -- relied on exploiting mechanics that have since changed.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

prefect posted:

AR/Blood rules but your group will hate you as you bring no other benefit than DPS (although with the global cooldowns to BS/DS this isn't as bad as it used to be).

It's been a long time since I played it but I believe it revolved around some shenanigans involving using Fire In The Hole and constantly keeping up the buff from taking Bloodshot into the negatives.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

Yes, many of them, though I don't know what balance changes have done to them. What other weapon do you want? Shotgun and Elemental were popular choices back in the day; not sure if Blood is viable. Pistol was a thing but I believe Zepho said the build we used -- I got it from her -- relied on exploiting mechanics that have since changed.

Currently leaning towards Elemental, just because it's what I've been using so far and I'm a little more familiar with it.

Brain In A Jar posted:

AR/Blood rules but your group will hate you as you bring no other benefit than DPS (although with the global cooldowns to BS/DS this isn't as bad as it used to be).

It's been a long time since I played it but I believe it revolved around some shenanigans involving using Fire In The Hole and constantly keeping up the buff from taking Bloodshot into the negatives.

I could swear I saw somewhere that Fire In The Hole used to be too good and got nerfed/un-exploitable.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey guys we are going to try and run some elite dungeons (And maybe a nightmare) on Saturday at 12pm PST. Guppy the only mumble channel I know of is a desolate wasteland that is sometimes interrupted by EvilBillMurrays grumbling something about bugs and lore. Is there another mumble we use (Is it trolls mumble?)

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I'm currently playing through Issue 7, so far it's pretty good.

Last train (which I think is 6 is amazing).

Vanishing of Tyler (issue 5) is also amazing.

I played that one mission in further analsis (so as to bypass the grindfest of issue 8 in order to get to Tokyo).

So in conclusion, I think it's worth reinstalling and playing through the issues at least.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

prefect posted:

Currently leaning towards Elemental, just because it's what I've been using so far and I'm a little more familiar with it.

I could swear I saw somewhere that Fire In The Hole used to be too good and got nerfed/un-exploitable.

Fire in the hole bug is gone, it will consume the elemental force change when used.

http://www.tswdb.com/builds/dps/dungeon-dps-build-pistolelemental/

Change shoot out to a assault rifle focus move, and there you go. You got buffs, kinda weak aoe, and great dps. Do stuff in till elemental force procs then use your rifle focus consumer. Pretty much every dps build in this game seems to be do stuff and use a focus attack with elemental force. I don't recall what rifle gets as a group buff but most are interchangeable. Shotguns get group pen buff, pistols get group crit buff, elemental gets group damage buff. You pop these often a little after the fight starts and the hp just drops. Pretty weak solo build though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Shameless miss-quote double post.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Exmond posted:

Hey guys we are going to try and run some elite dungeons (And maybe a nightmare) on Saturday at 12pm PST. Guppy the only mumble channel I know of is a desolate wasteland that is sometimes interrupted by EvilBillMurrays grumbling something about bugs and lore. Is there another mumble we use (Is it trolls mumble?)

EvilBillMurray is Platbeard. He has all of us on Steam, and as he is the only one reliably in Mumble these days, he's a good way to reach the rest of us. Mumble is a desolate wasteland because the game is a desolate wasteland these days.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

EvilBillMurray is Platbeard. He has all of us on Steam, and as he is the only one reliably in Mumble these days, he's a good way to reach the rest of us. Mumble is a desolate wasteland because the game is a desolate wasteland these days.

Fiaryn has been there too. But we aren't playing TSW. Usually Blood Bowl.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
gently caress the Gatekeeper. gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him. I cannot get away from his stupid little sidekick during phase 3 of the DPS fight. gently caress that guy.

Edit: Finally beat him. I'm going to find out where that prick lives and egg his house. :rant:

prefect fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 9, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

When do the effects of the Whispering Demon Ring (the one that boosts XP early on) wear off?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Kessel posted:

When do the effects of the Whispering Demon Ring (the one that boosts XP early on) wear off?

I think it was 3 million xp?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I think it was 3 million xp?

Thanks. So that's not nearly as useful as I thought, then :v:

I finally started playing this and the story is fantastic. Can someone walk me through a decent AR/Blood or AR/Shotgun build I can work towards? I really like the concept of leech healing while doing damage.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kessel posted:

I finally started playing this and the story is fantastic. Can someone walk me through a decent AR/Blood or AR/Shotgun build I can work towards? I really like the concept of leech healing while doing damage.

There's a thread on the official forums that's all about leech healing: The Reaper: The Complete Guide to Leeching (not just healing edition)

There's a ton of info in the thread; try not to feel overwhelmed right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

prefect posted:

There's a thread on the official forums that's all about leech healing: The Reaper: The Complete Guide to Leeching (not just healing edition)

There's a ton of info in the thread; try not to feel overwhelmed right away.

drat, that's heavy. I like tinkering around with numbers in games, but even my eyes glazed over.

I'll sit down and give that a proper read, thank you!

• Locked thread