Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Lazer Monkey posted:

What happened to alliance bot?

They changed some things about their chat system, so now it's dead. I think Nalin said he could make it work if he used 1 account per army, but he didn't want to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

About the current state of teh game:

Where are the ARES missions? please return them back.
The board missions are awnful.

I don't like the nerfs. Mammouth used to feel much more usefull. The way the new scaling of health for mobs work, you want a SMG for optimial killing, so suprise.. the arsenal feels decent now (?).
Bastion has a lot of downtime, turrets die fast and dspawn fast. I suppose If I get 7 turrets things will change.
Its weird that the recluse is the FOTM. Used to be a pretty crappy frame. Still no love for the other healers, and I have decided this game is not a good fit for a healing type of frame.
The recon frames are still mostly useless.

So it seems on the current state you want a SMG weapon or AOE.

Leveling is weird. I was kiling stuff with a frame level 20 in a level 40, and I was making almost no xp. Do I have to change zones to level a frame? so If I want to play a lower frame I have basically relocate my home? the game need better transport systems, if is going to work like this.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 7, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

precedence posted:

They changed some things about their chat system, so now it's dead. I think Nalin said he could make it work if he used 1 account per army, but he didn't want to deal with it.
I already made it do that, but the problem is that Red5 changed the way the chat server password is generated, so any new account I make isn't able to log in. I don't have the reverse engineering skills required to crack redhanded, nor the skills/tools to determine what was changed in the authentication method. And the ones with the ability just don't have the time or the desire to do it. We should really start a campaign to get the army size increased since we are starting to run into problems.

EDIT: Maybe I'll make a little tool that people with really old alt accounts can run to see if theirs would work as a 2nd AllianceBot. If somebody has a working old account that works and would like to donate it, we could get something working. If anybody is thinking about doing this, don't log into it, as that might prevent it from working. I have no clue if that would happen, though.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 8, 2014

Mythealias
May 31, 2010
I applied to GOON2 as Saerleon

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

applied to goon2 as freakingidiot

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Baram posted:

applied to goon2 as freakingidiot
Yeah, but what did you use as your name?

:rimshot:

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Nalin posted:

I already made it do that, but the problem is that Red5 changed the way the chat server password is generated...

Paging the Lemon King, this is a interface issue in dire need of review.

If addons and scripts won't cut it, the infrastructure will have to be changed.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So did they remove the rewards for helping people thump or something? If so, what the hell.

I mean sure you got a lesser reward, but it helped encourage people to work together even if you don't actually know them. What possible reason could they have to remove it?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 8, 2014

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Tei posted:

About the current state of teh game:

Where are the ARES missions? please return them back.
The board missions are awnful.

I don't like the nerfs. Mammouth used to feel much more usefull. The way the new scaling of health for mobs work, you want a SMG for optimial killing, so suprise.. the arsenal feels decent now (?).
Bastion has a lot of downtime, turrets die fast and dspawn fast. I suppose If I get 7 turrets things will change.
Its weird that the recluse is the FOTM. Used to be a pretty crappy frame. Still no love for the other healers, and I have decided this game is not a good fit for a healing type of frame.
The recon frames are still mostly useless.

So it seems on the current state you want a SMG weapon or AOE.

Leveling is weird. I was kiling stuff with a frame level 20 in a level 40, and I was making almost no xp. Do I have to change zones to level a frame? so If I want to play a lower frame I have basically relocate my home? the game need better transport systems, if is going to work like this.

ARES mission respawn rate has been reset to pre 1.0 spawn rates since the 3.5gb patch.
    SMG is still the worst gun in game. Actually, I take that back. Burst Rifle went from being the best to the worst gun in game now. SMG is still a close 2nd for worst gun. Lowest DPS, lowest range. Why do that to yourself?
    Recons are still amazing. What don't you like about them? I'm not even trying to be a dick, I'm honestly curious.
    XP scales now. Things lower level than you give less xp until 5 levels below you at that point they hit the minimum. 3k xp for an ARES mission, etc. Things higher level than you give more XP until 5 levels above you and then you get nothing. Why? Leaching became a massive exploit problem. Check out the Devils Tusk Tree for the perfect example of that.
    There are arcporters, drop ships, free LGVs from copper (and better) tokens, craftable permanent bikes added for anyone who could spend a couple nights gettign to 25 (21 really), fancier permanent bikes for anyone willing to work the market or thow down a few real dollars, glider pads at every POI, free adventurer pad, stacks of cheap craftable disposable gliders and jump pads, and run speed cores. What else can they add, a button to below your mission objective that says "I don't have legs, carry me"?
This goes back to the constant bickering of early beta when all there was to do was thump in Coral Forest. People bitched about the world being too big. R5 responded by making bikes so easy to get that everyone had at least one type. Then the people bitched that the world was too small and needed to be bigger.

xanthan posted:

So did they remove the rewards for helping people thump or something? If so, what the hell.

I mean sure you got a lesser reward, but it helped encourage people to work together even if you don't actually know them. What possible reason could they have to remove it?

You'll want to read the patch notes. They explain it better than I can.

Lazer Monkey posted:

LK doesn't work for Red 5.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

No single corporation can control LemonKing. There are mods that need to be made and graphics settings that need to be optimized.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lazer Monkey posted:

He wouldn't be able to solve it with an interface addon. Well, there is a way to solve it, sort of. There exists an IRC addon that works in conjunction with a web server. #firefall @ synirc exists as an IRC channel, and you could connect to it and chat there.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Lazer Monkey posted:

As others have said there is nothing I can do, best bet would be to make a topic or pm someone at R5 to allow users to connect to chat via an external program.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
They already have the ability to create new chat channels. I don't see why they don't let us create custom chat channels too. Every other game allows it. Why not here?

Also, it has to be able to be password protected.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Now that I think of it, Tribes 2 had an interface and guild system way ahead of it's time. Kinda depressing how far things have regressed like in Titanfall/Battlefield/CoD etc.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Speaking of interface things this game needs: Why on earth didn't they include the ability to adjust the third person zoom level setting the same way you can control it while mounted, with the mousewheel?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Sard posted:

Speaking of interface things this game needs: Why on earth didn't they include the ability to adjust the third person zoom level setting the same way you can control it while mounted, with the mousewheel?

Because mousewheel is the the binding for switching your gun! [spoilers]Let's ignore that you only ever have two guns ever, and they already have a "switch weapons" button.[/spoilers]

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
gently caress that. I rebound the mouse wheel to move the selection on my hotbar so I could just use thumb buttons for whatever I wanted. Q for weapon swap. I got used to it in beta and still think it's be best setup.

Also, I hate how it's near impossible to use vehicles in Devil's tusk since the ARES jobs keep spawning in them. I wouldn't mind so much if the jobs didn't spawn half a dozen barricades or giant rocks that take forever to despawn. I wish they didn't spawn at all. I don't think it adds anything of value and watching them pop in and out of existence cheapens the experience.

Instead of barricades, how about other stuff? Why would bandits be hanging out around some portable barricades, etc?

Needs this:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just started playing, found the base assault quite nice so I'm levelling this first. If I understood the thread so far it's adviced to skip research minus the boost cores, convert the crystite to credits, craft the vehicle at lvl 25 and be patient with red beans so I can convert those to credits.

I was thinking about either going with a mammoth or recluse next. Would they immediately gain access to the crafted vehicle? I don't want to waddle about in a dread without some transport.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

^^^ yes, you have access to everything with lowbie frames as long as you unlocked it once ^^^

Hah, recluse dot stacking got stealth nerfed fixed. Oh well, now I'll just be invulnerable.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Being in Mumble with 15 other Goons all in squads doing different things can get quite noisy. It must be like being in the Borg if all they did was float around in their cubes saying "butts butts dongs dongs fart cheetos dick pubbie dong butts" all the time.

It's the best!

It's also just about the only way to reliably find a squad because typing is hard.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Wow. Firefall got another 4/10 review. This time from PCGamesN, some site I've never heard of before. And, of course, they rant a bit about the texture quality. You would think something that every reviewer complains about would receive a hotfix patch, but no, it comes whenever to next big patch arrives.

They do bring up a good point about the uselessness of the crafting system, but that has really been covered to death by now.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nalin posted:

Wow. Firefall got another 4/10 review. This time from PCGamesN, some site I've never heard of before. And, of course, they rant a bit about the texture quality. You would think something that every reviewer complains about would receive a hotfix patch, but no, it comes whenever to next big patch arrives.

They do bring up a good point about the uselessness of the crafting system, but that has really been covered to death by now.

Yeah I lost a decent amount of crystite to it before noticing it wasn't going to be much use. I think I crafted a few abilities and an hmk at some point. The only other thing was a crafted blue primary and that took no research, I used some vouchers to buy that blueprint. Could've had more credits but oh well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So are there any classes I should avoid outright as a new player to this? I like the speedy sound of Recon and being a Robo-Ninja, but if it's gonna be painful I'd rather pick something else to start.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You get 5 frames to start. Each of the advanced frames are just specializations of those 5 so once you play around with the first 5 long enough to figure out what you like or don't like about them, the rest is just tossing a coin to figure out what to unlock next.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I went ahead and got the Bastion. drat its fun. Mini-turrets everywhere with practically no cooldown. The sticky launcher and the deployable wall are solid too.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Inimicul posted:

You get 5 frames to start. Each of the advanced frames are just specializations of those 5 so once you play around with the first 5 long enough to figure out what you like or don't like about them, the rest is just tossing a coin to figure out what to unlock next.

Ah, right on, that's neat.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I still don't feel like the streaming texture system is working properly. I mean, I have this cache of texture files that is over 2gb in size just sitting there. I know good and drat well that things like the molecular printer, garage, new you, etc shouldn't be missing when I log in. I have never messed with, or adjusted, the bandwidth or streaming settings in any way.

Yet, every time I log in, or go to an area I was not in (but have been before) things like that are missing and then slowly start to stream in. Textures for places I was just at, but had to go turn in a quest then come back, have to load again.

Maybe I just don't understand how the cache and streaming relate to one another, but it seems so broken, and in a lot of ways wasteful.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, the voice acting is terrible, the script even worse, the travel distances a pain in the arse, but I have an awesome Russian accent and my engineer decided to put some trousers on. I won't say the game's turned itself around but compared to what it was a while ago it seems to be pointing in the right direction now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I swear I must be the only person who actually enjoys the majority of the writing and voice acting.

Admittedly I've only levelled two frames to 10 so...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Nalin posted:

Pretty fair review. I don't think anyone could have expected much more from r5 who chose to release new and untested systems on launch day. The build in the game should have been the final beta build, with another 6 months or so to smooth things over and address all the issues the players and critics have all identified.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
My issues with the voice acting:

1) Non-quest NPC banter. Luau Larry, and pretty much all non-quest NPCs sound like extremely bored people that should not be doing voiceovers ever. I assume they are Red5 staff? They are very hard to listen to, and it stands out from what otherwise appears to be a fairly high quality level of work put into the game.

2) Accents. Half the characters in the game are trying to sound like they are from Texas, which is loving dumb because not everyone from the South sounds like that. Borderlands already has that cliche covered. The other half sound like they can barely speak English in the first place.

Ratchet and Vic the Crow are the only characters I actually enjoy listening to. but then I have only made it as far as Dredge.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

I swear I must be the only person who actually enjoys the majority of the writing and voice acting.

Tecusmeh Airbase is probably one of the worst offenders since they stick every single "War" stereotype in that spot. It gives me PTSD every time I'm grinding there.

I've been experimenting more with the melee build, Recons are extremely good choices because of the Regenerative Plating Perk, which gives you 10% of your health back with every kill. The revamped Rhino Stampede Perk is underwhelming, I can't even tell if I'm slowing mobs by running past them. The amount of hits for each type of mobs with the melee perks is 1-shot regular mobs, 2-hits for soldier type mobs, 3-hits for Juggernauts, and 5-6 hits for Elite Juggers.
Overall, I'd say the melee only play-style is effective and less intensive than having to aim as a Recon, none of the other classes can sustain that well except for Dreads if they have all shield abilities.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 8, 2014

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Is there a lore reason why there seem to be zero Brazilians in a game primarily set in Brazil? I don't think I've heard a single latin accent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Apple Craft posted:

2) Accents. Half the characters in the game are trying to sound like they are from Texas, which is loving dumb because not everyone from the South sounds like that. Borderlands already has that cliche covered. The other half sound like they can barely speak English in the first place.

As a non-American, their accents don't bother me because it's exactly how I picture everyone from Texas or your southern areas :)

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

eth0.n posted:

Is there a lore reason why there seem to be zero Brazilians in a game primarily set in Brazil? I don't think I've heard a single latin accent.

Aero has a brazilian accent.

As for worst script: I'd probably say Cerrado Plains has the worst script. For the best I'd say Nutretics.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

The revamped Rhino Stampede Perk is underwhelming

Last time Nalin tested it on me it was only effective while I was running, bringing me down to about 1/4th speed for maybe 0.2 seconds till one of us got out of range. (Not worth it)

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

As a non-American, their accents don't bother me because it's exactly how I picture everyone from Texas or your southern areas :)

I can't really blame anyone for thinking that. Even the Southern state's tourism boards air commercials in other states that show people riding on horseback with cowboy hats and spurs. When I lived in Minnesota I was actually asked if people rode horses to school and work where I am from and was constantly complimented that I "didn't sound like a southerner".

Here's an example from as recently as last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyknzUYkSUg

Hardly anyone I have ever met in my life talks like that. And yes, as hard as it is to believe, southern states actually do have running water, electricity, indoor plumbing, belt buckles that are smaller than a person's head, and transportation that doesn't require a stable in the back yard.

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 8, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Apple Craft posted:

Hardly anyone I have ever met in my life talks like that. And yes, as hard as it is to believe, southern states actually do have running water, electricity, indoor plumbing, belt buckles that are smaller than a person's head, and transportation that doesn't require a stable in the back yard.

I don't believe you, everything I know and think about Texas is what I see in western movies. You guys all get around via horses and have sixshooter showdowns in front of the saloon with tumbleweeds blowing, right?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Aero being a sanctimonious prig starts to get really grating eventually. Especially when she rattles stuff off like, "People need to get used to this being war :colbert:" and then complains about NPCs hiring you to kill random assistants who are stealing secret military tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

You guys all get around via horses and have sixshooter showdowns in front of the saloon with tumbleweeds blowing, right?

If you want "people getting gunned down outside of houses of ill-repute" you want Atlanta, Georga

They drive cars to get there though, not that your average Atlantian is any less lethal with a car than with a gun

• Locked thread