Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dudebro posted:

Is Nosgoth a pretty good game? How bad is it if you don't spend any money in that game?

I'm loving it so far. Spending money seems to be just a short cut too (The game isn't open beta until 'Winter' though so I suppose this could change). If I buy anything it will be snazzy outfits.

Either way it's free for the weekend so try it yourself.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

It's a quite good game. Gears of War meets L4D Vs is an apt description, but I also like to describe it as constant MOBA teamfights. Understand that Nosgoth is not a MOBA, you have two teams of four on an open map, no other entities, and when the vampires (all melee based) initiate, poo poo goes down. Depending on the teamwork involved it can end up any number of ways, with four dead humans, or four dead vampires, or anything in between. The classes are all fun to play, though vampires are a considerably more novel experience.

For free it's absolutely worth a shot, and it's much better if you can convince some friends so as not to deal with pub groups. The grind is tolerable as a free player and you can permanently buy all equipment and skills for free.

Wow, this sounds awesome. Why didn't anyone tell me about this, I'm too lazy to watch the steam frontpage and should be accommodated :mad:

Since you mention MOBAs, is one person being a useless fuckup in an average pub match going to more or less ruin it for the rest of the team, like it does in DotA/LoL? (it's me I am the useless fuckup)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, this sounds awesome. Why didn't anyone tell me about this, I'm too lazy to watch the steam frontpage and should be accommodated :mad:

Since you mention MOBAs, is one person being a useless fuckup in an average pub match going to more or less ruin it for the rest of the team, like it does in DotA/LoL? (it's me I am the useless fuckup)

It's possible to overcome, but it will be a marked detriment. That said as long as you're using some common sense (go in with the team as vamps, stay with the team as humans, don't be stupid about bombs) you'll do better than a lot of people.

Ninkobei posted:

I love clicking on these "F2P" games and seeing things like - Starter Pack: 49.99 ADD TO CART.

If 50 bucks only gets me started in a loving F2P then there's no way in hell am I interested.

:ughh:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How do I gift specific things from Bundle? I already have Heroics so if you want it claim it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you click the little present icon to the right of the game you want to give away and share that link

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I can only presume you misunderstand what I said, or I wrote it in such a way to be confusing. What I meant was, when I see "Starter Pack" I expect it to be 5-10bux so they can try to sell an omgwtfgodlyequippack for $50. If the starting pack barrier is 50 then gently caress-all how much is the whale pack going to be? (Not that I would pay for either, but clearly the game should be categorized as Moby Dick and I won't even bother with watching a video on it)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I'm always amazed at how F2P is often "literally vastly more expensive than non-F2P if you want the same features."

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Like This?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

I can only presume you misunderstand what I said, or I wrote it in such a way to be confusing. What I meant was, when I see "Starter Pack" I expect it to be 5-10bux so they can try to sell an omgwtfgodlyequippack for $50. If the starting pack barrier is 50 then gently caress-all how much is the whale pack going to be? (Not that I would pay for either, but clearly the game should be categorized as Moby Dick and I won't even bother with watching a video on it)

It's just poor packaging on their part. :shrug: You can play the game this weekend without spending a dollar, and when it releases it will also be playable for no dollars.

E: Goddamnit you're not talking about Nosgoth. I am also dumb.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 7, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, the Steam client beta has added a new feature: hiding games. :getin: It's under the Set Categories menu, apparently.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

I'm always amazed at how F2P is often "literally vastly more expensive than non-F2P if you want the same features."

Every F2P game has the ability to be that way.

Delusibeta posted:

So, the Steam client beta has added a new feature: hiding games. :getin: It's under the Set Categories menu, apparently.

Speaking of, can you delete categories?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So my steam has been stuck on downloading nothing for a day or two now. Closing steam doesn't fix it, is there a way to clear my downloads?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Delusibeta posted:

Great. So, uh, how do you unhide something?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Click GAMES on the Library window (to the right of the search bar).

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So my steam has been stuck on downloading nothing for a day or two now. Closing steam doesn't fix it, is there a way to clear my downloads?

When in doubt, close steam, and delete/rename clientregistry.blob in your Steam folder.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but EA is offering Wing Commander III for free via Origin until September 3rd.

I was curious if anyone here is/was using Origin. I've avoided it since it launched, mostly because around the time it launched, I heard some weird rumors about it installing spyware or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I use it for Battlefield and it's fine. It generally has faster download speeds than Steam and doesn't throttle my computer the way Steam does when it downloads stuff. The store selection is limited and the sales are a joke but it functions just fine. There's no real glaring flaw in Origin at this point that should stop you from using it if you're interested in an EA game.

Never heard about the spyware thing.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but EA is offering Wing Commander III for free via Origin until September 3rd.

I was curious if anyone here is/was using Origin. I've avoided it since it launched, mostly because around the time it launched, I heard some weird rumors about it installing spyware or something.

Origin is pretty benign, it's trying to set itself up as serious competition to Steam but lacks the variety of games and a lot of community features at the moment. It's been heavily revised and updated since it's EA Downloader iteration. I think quite a few of us here have used it because EA like to make their newer games Origin exclusives.
Go ahead and install it if it has a game / deal that you want.

It's Uplay that you have to watch out for!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Manatee Cannon posted:

It generally has faster download speeds than Steam and doesn't throttle my computer the way Steam does when it downloads stuff.

It's not; They measure the uncompressed sizes of the files so to make their download speeds faster in a strictly mb/s way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

It isn't and never was any more "spyware" than Steam or uPlay or any other program you ever install on your computer. Just a bunch of nerds getting mad at EA again. It's not a perfect digital storefront and service by any means but its fine.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Origin is decent enough and does some things better than Steam. UPlay is the worst of the 3 major game clients.

Also, some leftover keys.

Retro/Grade-DPC4J-KXFY5-56R97
Frozen Hearth
Ballpoint Universe Infinite-3K5QK-RD3TB-BIVGG
One Way Heroics

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Thanks!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, I guess I'll give Origin a shot.

Moving to a different topic, does anyone know if the recent password hack affected Steam? I haven't found any listings of the sites that have been affected. I know it would probably be a safe bet to change my passwords regardless, but I was curious if anybody got a notification from Steam or some other service concerning the password hack.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Has Trails in the Sky got through the crashing problems yet?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

The crashing problems were fixed for quite a few days now so yes.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Sivek posted:

Ballpoint Universe Infinite-3K5QK-RD3TB-BIVGG

This one got lurked so thanks on that persons behalf.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm trying to play Freedom Planet and it's giving me an error code 80. I was able to run it the first time without any problems, anyone here know what it means?

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

Sivek posted:

Also, some leftover keys.

Retro/Grade-DPC4J-KXFY5-56R97

Thank you!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Delusibeta posted:

I must be an idiot because I can't find this option. (yes I'm in the beta)

e: Never mind I had force closed steam but didn't see an update. It took a while for it to prompt me for an update. It works now! I can get rid of my hidden games category!

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please tell me there's somewhere/way I can organize my steam games in groups rather than one at a time.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

SynthOrange posted:

Please tell me there's somewhere/way I can organize my steam games in groups rather than one at a time.

If you're in the beta, you can CTRL-Click games in your list now.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

It isn't and never was any more "spyware" than Steam or uPlay or any other program you ever install on your computer. Just a bunch of nerds getting mad at EA again. It's not a perfect digital storefront and service by any means but its fine.

Origin sucked because it was slow and lovely for a while, but now its fine. uPlay was a huge piece of poo poo last time I used it because it was slow and lovely also.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ursus Veritas posted:

If you're in the beta, you can CTRL-Click games in your list now.

You can even fake a "Rename category" feature by selecting everything in one category and mass adding them to a new category

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Anti-EA people turned on its system profile/survey tool and claimed it was spying on them when it probed their hardware.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

MooCowlian posted:

Seems that way. Can't guarantee it's 100% crash-free, but I haven't heard too many complaints recently.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It generally has faster download speeds than Steam and doesn't throttle my computer the way Steam does when it downloads stuff.

Steam has the ability to limit max download speed, as does UPlay (finally, because that thing choked the entire house's internet when I used to downloaded), I can't remember if Origin does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nosgoth is as much fun as I hoped, on the whole, but the Sentinel vampire class is not and that makes me sad :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Anti-EA people turned on its system profile/survey tool and claimed it was spying on them when it probed their hardware.

Didn't this turn out to be the same thing Steam was doing when it surveys your hardware and installed software?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Here goons, have some Ys Origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Steam updated for me earlier. It has a new icon in the task bar, a blue circle with the usual steam logo within it, and the UI itself has streaks of blue near the top. However, now Steam (Particularly "bootstrapper") simply hangs as soon as the program loads. How do I fix this? :(

• Locked thread