Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I just wish it had the instant win for battles with low level enemies.

You can just sprint into them and they'll be knocked out of the way if you're powerful enough, but you won't get experience from them. Since grinding is less effective in this game, I guess it's better that they didn't give you an easy way to do it by encountering low-level enemies over and over again.

I liked how the world map was both to scale, and seamlessly loaded new areas, which is something that was carried over to the Pokemon series. Your character was always at the centre of the screen, especially since scripted events which moved your character for you were less common. Mother 3 had boundaries between certain areas, although the benefit of this was that it would remember all the enemies you had defeated until you left the area, rather than having enemies spawn or despawn as you scrolled the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? I loved that track! My favorite strength of that game's OST is how brilliantly evocative it is. Any track, Temple of the Ancients included, immediately sucks you right back into that part of the game.
This track was fuckin' great, what a maroon that goon is.

Earthbound's OST still looms large in my memory, despite how much...'inspiration' it employed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Not of fan of dem bells

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Smiles and Tears, pretty much the best music ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't really say if Earthbound or Mother 3 have the best soundtrack, there's lots of things that make such a direct comparison difficult, including the limitations of the GBA sound chip. But everyone should give Mother 3 props for having about 3 and a half games' worth of music in it. Why on earth did they give a one-time pig boss his own awesome theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgCASPF9hQ

Because they could. :allears:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Earthbound's OST still looms large in my memory, despite how much...'inspiration' it employed.

I like you, Great Teacher. :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/tanac2e/status/497230817915977728

Keiichi Suzuki and Hirokazu Tanaka, the Mother/Mother 2 composers, reunited for some 1101 interview. I guess Itoi is doing something to commemorate the Mother anniversary? Let's hope those Starmen dorks translate it, pronto.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've just started Mother 3 and I'm in Chapter 2, returning to the castle and I just fought the Clayman. I don't know what my issue is but I absolutely can not figure out the rhythm battle system. I really hate rhythm games, especially when they're used as battle systems in RPGs.

So, do I have to do this rhythm battle thing? The entirety of the first trip around the castle was extremely hard and required a ton of grinding just to not have to run back to the hot springs every 2-3 fights. I love Earthbound and I really want to play this game but if it's going to be a grindfest without the whole rhythm thing I'll either find a way to cheat my way to level 99 or just read a plot summary instead.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I've just started Mother 3 and I'm in Chapter 2, returning to the castle and I just fought the Clayman. I don't know what my issue is but I absolutely can not figure out the rhythm battle system. I really hate rhythm games, especially when they're used as battle systems in RPGs.

So, do I have to do this rhythm battle thing? The entirety of the first trip around the castle was extremely hard and required a ton of grinding just to not have to run back to the hot springs every 2-3 fights. I love Earthbound and I really want to play this game but if it's going to be a grindfest without the whole rhythm thing I'll either find a way to cheat my way to level 99 or just read a plot summary instead.

The rhythm stuff isn't necessary also you don't need to grind chapter 2 if you actually use Duster's tools which is what sticking you with him solo is supposed to teach you but a lot of people don't get it for some reason

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 8, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Emulators can subtly screw up the rhythm mechanic, I've found. Playing with a flash cart on a real GBA is ideal if you can manage it.

Buffs and debuffs are really important in M3, too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used them but I found them all pretty useless except the stick and the mask since everything was hitting me extremely hard, taking very little damage, and ignoring all of the CC-related tools. I ended up having to grind ghosts until level 18 just to beat the boss. It's good to hear that the rhythm stuff isn't necessary, I guess I'll keep powering through Chapter 2 and see how the rest of the game works out for me.

fleshweasel posted:

Emulators can subtly screw up the rhythm mechanic, I've found. Playing with a flash cart on a real GBA is ideal if you can manage it.

I think this is probably it because I have no problem with actual IRL rhythm but I've only once managed to get more than one extra hit in M3 and getting even that one extra hit is rare. Unfortunately I don't have an actual GBA to play on :(

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

fleshweasel posted:

Buffs and debuffs are really important in M3, too.

They are Real drat Important, also they stack up to three times.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of Duster's tools are incredibly useful. Defense/offense down are insanely good and most bosses are vulnerable to at least one other status debuff he can do. Not using them is just making the game harder for yourself!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Srice posted:

All of Duster's tools are incredibly useful. Defense/offense down are insanely good and most bosses are vulnerable to at least one other status debuff he can do. Not using them is just making the game harder for yourself!

This is the truth. It also makes the game a bit more tedious as you spam a bunch of debuffs...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Srice posted:

On the other hand, they miss like 2/3 of the time. That's why Duster is pretty much a designated item thrower in the endgame.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Does anybody know if there's a game genie code to insert somebody into your party? I did a solo Ness run (aside from the final boss and Winters/Dalaam intros) and had a blast. Would love to try a solo Paula run but there are times when I would need her, like the start of the game and Magicant.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You could just do it like other games that people do solo runs in. You play as whatever you're forced to until you get what you're soloing as and then kill everyone else.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You tend to fight much fewer enemies per battle in Mother 3, so that makes debuffs more useful.

I hate to make this comparison, but it shares a lot of the things Final Fantasy XIII did right, mainly making buffs and debuffs necessary, and using linearity to ensure combat was challenging and interesting. Granted, the rest of XIII was dreadful, but I like how fine-tuned the entire battle system was in both games.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I used them but I found them all pretty useless except the stick and the mask since everything was hitting me extremely hard, taking very little damage, and ignoring all of the CC-related tools. I ended up having to grind ghosts until level 18 just to beat the boss. It's good to hear that the rhythm stuff isn't necessary, I guess I'll keep powering through Chapter 2 and see how the rest of the game works out for me.

I think this is probably it because I have no problem with actual IRL rhythm but I've only once managed to get more than one extra hit in M3 and getting even that one extra hit is rare. Unfortunately I don't have an actual GBA to play on :(

It shouldn't have been that hard. Using buffs on standard enemies is a waste of time mostly but you definitely should use them on bosses. I can do the entire castle without grinding or dying. The only 'grinding' I do is go out of my way at the beginning to the dead end where the barrelmen and big bros are then walk back for a little extra xp and items. Wall staple stinky ghosts and you should kill them in 2 rounds, just bash the spiders outright, wall staples for the picture ghosts and those ghost armours pretty much always fall asleep if you use the pendulum on them. Just wall staple everything else.

Mr Passion does low single digit damage if you debuff his offense 3 times so he's pretty much a joke.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Buffs and debuffs are way more important in Mother 3 (and Earthbound too I guess) than in your typical jrpg, I feel. At least the classic jrpgs since I don't play too much anymore. Also unlike those old final fantasies a lot of bosses in mother ARE susceptible to debuffs. There's a particular boss that is a brick wall (or barrier should I say) to most players who don't remember to buff and debuff.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Lucases shields and counters are terrific too, I like using those more than his attacks in boss fights, personally.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with debuffs in Mother 3 is that for a good chunk of the game you don't have a full party, which makes sacrificing one of your precious turns to cast a debuff an exercise in futility with non-boss monsters.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

PureRok posted:

You could just do it like other games that people do solo runs in. You play as whatever you're forced to until you get what you're soloing as and then kill everyone else.

Yeah, I think that'd really be the only way to do it, which is unfortunate.

Solo Ness was actually hilariously easy, I was at max level way before coming back from Magicant and it really didn't matter in the long run that I missed those stats.

just as proof:

Poo comes at like level 28 or something so he didn't have 0 experience total. also because I'm still five...

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If I were doing a solo run I'd want some sort of mod/code to get rid of the red UI. It always made my eyes bleed.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

PureRok posted:

If I were doing a solo run I'd want some sort of mod/code to get rid of the red UI. It always made my eyes bleed.

Just think of it as "Cherry-flavored.":haw:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

PureRok posted:

Yeah they did a really good job with the UI in that respect. Made me feel awful whenever someone died, and made me feel SO much better when things were back to normal

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It happened when they got diamondized as well and that can't be easily fixed early on.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Scalding Coffee posted:

It happened when they got diamondized as well and that can't be easily fixed early on.

I think the earliest you can get diamondized is from the trillionage sprout boss which is immediately fixed when you beat him. After that I think you are safe until the return to Onett, but by then you have ready access to secret herbs.

Speaking of Secret herbs as soon as you get the ability to buy them, you should buy like 4 or so. They are great until you get Healing Gamma.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
One of the funniest bits of random EarthBound trivia for me is that you can get Diamond Dog to diamondize himself--resulting in an instant victory--via a power shield. I actually saw this happen when I was about 15.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That loving Sned posted:

You tend to fight much fewer enemies per battle in Mother 3, so that makes debuffs more useful.

I hate to make this comparison, but it shares a lot of the things Final Fantasy XIII did right, mainly making buffs and debuffs necessary, and using linearity to ensure combat was challenging and interesting. Granted, the rest of XIII was dreadful, but I like how fine-tuned the entire battle system was in both games.

If you're into tight battle systems, might I suggest Bravely Default for 3DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo and Itoi, collaborating once more... on belly warmers! http://hobonichilove.tumblr.com/post/94381807232/hobonichi-presents-official-nintendo-haramaki-belly

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sockser posted:

If you're into tight battle systems, might I suggest Bravely Default for 3DS?

Sure, I'm just getting my 3DS back from my friend this weekend. Is it like Mother 3 and the Mario RPGs in that it's technically turn based, but you can used timed hits to do more damage?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That loving Sned posted:

Sure, I'm just getting my 3DS back from my friend this weekend. Is it like Mother 3 and the Mario RPGs in that it's technically turn based, but you can used timed hits to do more damage?

Final Fantasy 3/5 Job system, but each character can have essentially two jobs at once so you get to synergize between 8 jobs (between 4 characters)

and it's the first RPG I've played ever where using the defend command was useful! If you defend, you get an extra action point so you can attack twice (or three times, or four times) on your next turn.

It's a cool game that really opens up what a standard turn-based JRPG can do and also gets rid of lots of the outdated bullshit (don't want to grind through this dungeon? turn the encounter rate down to 0!)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Well, I finally beat this game after adoring it from a distance for years. It's totally worth all of the love it gets, it hardly felt like I played it for 40 hours! So much stuff happened at the end that I'm still kinda trying to process everything and the final bit of going back to talk to everyone in the world before ending the game was really effective in making me sad in seeing things come to an end. Also, the song Over Space and Time is a really weird, short song that I keep thinking about. It's immediately obvious that it was used from The Beatles and it's exactly just that sample and yet in the weird and empty place you hear it in it's very effective.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
Yesterday I went back to Akihabara for another shot at getting all the Mother 2 Gachapon figures out of the machine at Super Potato. Countless 100 yen coins later, victory ensued!

Mr. Saturn was by far the most difficult to get- I have a couple Master Belches and two Ness, but only one Saturn. And a whole pile of Paulas and Jeffs. If the belly warmers were available in a physical store in Japan, I'd hunt those down too, but it looks like it's all online ordering. Happy Anniversary, Mom 2!

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Automatic Jill posted:

insanely cool stuff

Thank you for posting those pictures and congratulations on winning them. I'd have done the same thing until I had at least Ness and company. Well done.

Does each 100 Yen give you a random character like a big gumball machine or can you somewhat use skill (like a claw machine) to influence which one you get?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kikka posted:

It's just Japanese humor. No wordplays or anything, the writers just took a stupid gag and expanded upon it.

ONe thing I've noticed from other video games/anime/manga is that the Japanese are really big on rank/order and in generally just enumerating everything. These moles introduce themselves like pretty much every member in a villain team in any Japanese thing ever aside from not having their ranks straight.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Earthbound for the first time in years. I fell for the emotional hooks in the whole "the player is praying" thing. I have left the game on the part where you go around talking to people in the world. Is there anywhere in particular worth visiting once you're going around as just Ness?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should return the library book. Go visit Deep Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Scalding Coffee posted:

You should return the library book. Go visit Deep Darkness.

To add to that, make sure to pick up Ness' bike again and take it for a spin in Deep Darkness.

• Locked thread