Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dunbar posted:

There was a report in the Observer this week that the viewing figures for everything on the Network besides live PPVs were abysmal. That's discouraging because I doubt it lights a fire under anyone to start adding the old territorial stuff, which is one of the main reasons I subscribe at all.

At the same time, I have to think the people who are into the old footage are the people who are unlikely to unsubscribe.

I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't put the content up. You have the footage, the cost is miniscule, and you make your most hardcore fans happy. I also think they've done a terrible job of promoting the old footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I watch it for PPVs, NXT, and whenever I'm bored enough to queue up a random old PPV. I really want them to set up queues or playlists so that one night if I decide I want to watch the build-up to WM17, I can build the list and jump back to it whenever I have a couple hours.

If they limited their "original" programming to current dudes doing talking-head segments on new Countdowns (recorded at Stamford while they're doing northeast tours), WM Rewinds, and new Legends Roundtables they'd probably be a lot better off.

I would like to see them do a more in-depth series (maybe 6-8 hours not including matches?) on ECW's glory days once TNA folds and they can get all those guys to talk without breaching contracts.

Also I don't care if it's the only thing they show from AWA, I demand the Team Challenge Series. The world needs Jake "The Milkman" Milligan more than ever.

There, I have fixed the WWE Network. Give me money now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's not just music re:Nitros taking forever to be on the network. Some of those WCW masters were in terrible condition so there's a lot of work they'd have to do in digitization in making them suitable for the Network.

There was a case study floating around archive list-serves about the sheer amount of work it was going to take to make everything digitized. I'm trying to see if I can still find it, it's interesting stuff.

They've had them digitized forever, they were on 24/7/On Demand, and those versions were good enough for their early Network uploads of many PPVs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dunbar posted:

There was a report in the Observer this week that the viewing figures for everything on the Network besides live PPVs were abysmal. That's discouraging because I doubt it lights a fire under anyone to start adding the old territorial stuff, which is one of the main reasons I subscribe at all.

As a video post-production professional who actually does this kind of stuff, what the hell is so hard about hiring somebody at 40K a year to just digitize tapes all day?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Astro7x posted:

As a video post-production professional who actually does this kind of stuff, what the hell is so hard about hiring somebody at 40K a year to just digitize tapes all day?

WWE is run by a madman who doesn't see why anyone would want to watch that anything old when they could see John Cena.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I ask myself this question literally every time I turn on the Network.

It did sound like there is going to be a content infusion around September-ish to try and retain subscribers, and that WCCW and ECW TV would be part of it.

But unless the masters of the old territorial TV shows are in much worse shape than anyone realizes (which I doubt, since they've had no issues getting it ready for DVD or WWF Classics releases), I can't figure out why they wouldn't hire one video intern and put them in charge of making sure the Network has a few new episodes of territorial TV every week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dunbar posted:

I ask myself this question literally every time I turn on the Network.

It did sound like there is going to be a content infusion around September-ish to try and retain subscribers, and that WCCW and ECW TV would be part of it.

But unless the masters of the old territorial TV shows are in much worse shape than anyone realizes (which I doubt, since they've had no issues getting it ready for DVD or WWF Classics releases), I can't figure out why they wouldn't hire one video intern and put them in charge of making sure the Network has a few new episodes of territorial TV every week.

This is one of the reasons I'm not resubbing immediately, I'd be more down with having a new episode of everything every week but if you're just gonna toss a load of stuff up every 6 months to try and keep subscribers then I'm just gonna base resubbing around PPVs rather than the archive, since I'll then have a bigger archive to come back to.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

njsykora posted:

This is one of the reasons I'm not resubbing immediately, I'd be more down with having a new episode of everything every week but if you're just gonna toss a load of stuff up every 6 months to try and keep subscribers then I'm just gonna base resubbing around PPVs rather than the archive, since I'll then have a bigger archive to come back to.

It needs more structure to it, but then, what else are they meant to do? How does every other streaming service do it other than just dump content on there? There's arguably more they can bring in but if it's not the success they hoped then it's not going to happen any time soon.

I do think it's an interesting idea to have a 'story' option, so you see the promos and matches that make up every storyline, but that probably takes a whole lot of work to do.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

It needs more structure to it, but then, what else are they meant to do? How does every other streaming service do it other than just dump content on there? There's arguably more they can bring in but if it's not the success they hoped then it's not going to happen any time soon.

I do think it's an interesting idea to have a 'story' option, so you see the promos and matches that make up every storyline, but that probably takes a whole lot of work to do.

They could start by dumping them in order. I'd watch World Class if I could actually do so in a coherent fashion rather than random unrelated episodes.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i think the world class episodes were uploaded in order of michael hayes appearences

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't know this for sure but I don't think world class was archived very well and unfortunately I think there's a lot of missing episodes. I remember reading a post on a world class forum talking about how the old footage wasn't taken care of well. I'll see if I can find it later.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

skaboomizzy posted:

I watch it for PPVs, NXT, and whenever I'm bored enough to queue up a random old PPV. I really want them to set up queues or playlists so that one night if I decide I want to watch the build-up to WM17, I can build the list and jump back to it whenever I have a couple hours.

If they limited their "original" programming to current dudes doing talking-head segments on new Countdowns (recorded at Stamford while they're doing northeast tours), WM Rewinds, and new Legends Roundtables they'd probably be a lot better off.

I would like to see them do a more in-depth series (maybe 6-8 hours not including matches?) on ECW's glory days once TNA folds and they can get all those guys to talk without breaching contracts.

Also I don't care if it's the only thing they show from AWA, I demand the Team Challenge Series. The world needs Jake "The Milkman" Milligan more than ever.

There, I have fixed the WWE Network. Give me money now.

I really just want a random button that I can set various filters on. If I don't want to watch whatever they are showing live, let me do "random PPV" or "random RAW during a certain time period" or just "random in ring anything." I know there's a ton of poo poo out there I've never seen that I would watch as background noise but I'm never going to pick it out on my own.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
My number one wish for the network is I could have every Royal Rumble (just the actual Rumble) play in order for like 30 straight hours.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

My number one wish for the network is I could have every Royal Rumble (just the actual Rumble) play in order for like 30 straight hours.

This would be awesome. Hell, every Mania main event from beginning to end would be a neat way to see the evolution of the product.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Last night I wanted to watch Wrestlemania 19. It's not a big deal, but it's kinda funny that when you scroll through the events you have to go aaall the way to the last page to get to Mania.

I get that it's in alphabetical order, but if I were them I would have put the popular events first and then do alphabetical at the end. Kind of how a lot of forms will group US, Canada, etc at the top and then all the other countries in the world below.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

triplexpac posted:

Last night I wanted to watch Wrestlemania 19. It's not a big deal, but it's kinda funny that when you scroll through the events you have to go aaall the way to the last page to get to Mania.

I get that it's in alphabetical order, but if I were them I would have put the popular events first and then do alphabetical at the end. Kind of how a lot of forms will group US, Canada, etc at the top and then all the other countries in the world below.

Or just let you go backwards.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Monday Night Raw episode 107, 1995: Vince McMahon pronounces "accoutrements" as "a-cooter-mints."

Also, this happens:

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 8, 2014

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm not sure if it's just me but the network has been running like poo poo lately. It's been freezing a lot and dipping in quality as well. I'm using my ps3.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

triplexpac posted:

What are you watching it on? Roku has it by year, then you go to the event in chronological order.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I'm not sure if it's just me but the network has been running like poo poo lately. It's been freezing a lot and dipping in quality as well. I'm using my ps3.

Its been getting worse the last two months, though I use a browser. Flash keeps crashing on that page randomly and only that page. Sucks when I have to keep refreshing the live feed, and even worse when I need to start whatever PPV I was watching over again and find the right spot I was at.

Worked perfectly for the first 4 months though, but man they're really trying their hardest to get me not to resub, it seems.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Its been getting worse the last two months, though I use a browser. Flash keeps crashing on that page randomly and only that page. Sucks when I have to keep refreshing the live feed, and even worse when I need to start whatever PPV I was watching over again and find the right spot I was at.

Worked perfectly for the first 4 months though, but man they're really trying their hardest to get me not to resub, it seems.

I've definitely had some Flash crashes in the last week or so. Whenever something like this happens, I always assume it's my computer or my internet letting me down.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Memento posted:

I've definitely had some Flash crashes in the last week or so. Whenever something like this happens, I always assume it's my computer or my internet letting me down.

I would too if it happened on any other website, but it only happens on the Network

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how much it would have any impact on subscriber numbers but MAN they need some better functionality on their site. Things like "People who watched this also watched...", Recommendations based on what you've viewed, saving places, etc.

I know it's not just a matter of pushing a button but at the same time, I doubt they'd have to do it all from scratch unless their database is all kinds of messed up (which is a real possibility.)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Memento posted:

If you're using Chrome, there's a fix. I had tons of crashes all of a sudden on the Network page and had to do this to fix it. Haven't had it crash since:

http://browsers.about.com/od/googlechrome/ss/How-To-Fix-The-Shockwave-Flash-Error-In-Google-Chrome.htm

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Just saw the first HHH debut promo on Raw. He was sitting in a fancy chair while classical music played for about 10 seconds. It's really amazing that HHH and Kane survived the graveyard of terrible 94-96 gimmicks. Mantaur! Hakushi! Duke the Dumpster Droese! Aldo Montoya! Friar Ferguson! The Supreme Fighting Machine Kama! Henry O. Godwinn! So on!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Just saw the first HHH debut promo on Raw. He was sitting in a fancy chair while classical music played for about 10 seconds. It's really amazing that HHH and Kane survived the graveyard of terrible 94-96 gimmicks. Mantaur! Hakushi! Duke the Dumpster Droese! Aldo Montoya! Friar Ferguson! The Supreme Fighting Machine Kama! Henry O. Godwinn! So on!

HHH knows how to adapt. He's been there before.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I randomly threw on the June 19th, 1995 episode of Raw. It opens with a useless Undertaker/Jobber match and Vince McMahon has not shut the gently caress up about how disgusting Jerry Lawler's feet are for five straight minutes. I had stopped watching between 1994 and 1998 and I'm very happy about that.

EDIT: Oh no, Man Mountain Rock is angry because Bob Backlund lightly kicked his guitar while running for President. And McMahon can not go thirty seconds without mentioning Lawler's feet, what the hell?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 8, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I randomly threw on the June 19th, 1995 episode of Raw. It opens with a useless Undertaker/Jobber match and Vince McMahon has not shut the gently caress up about how disgusting Jerry Lawler's feet are for five straight minutes. I had stopped watching between 1994 and 1998 and I'm very happy about that.

EDIT: Oh no, Man Mountain Rock is angry because Bob Backlund lightly kicked his guitar while running for President. And McMahon can not go thirty seconds without mentioning Lawler's feet, what the hell?

That's the go home for KOTR 95 where Lawler had a Kiss My Foot match with Bret Hart.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's the go home for KOTR 95 where Lawler had a Kiss My Foot match with Bret Hart.

Makes you wonder how long Vince wanted to do a Kiss My rear end match, but they were still kid-friendly at that point.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

foot promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjrgUMRXtA

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

sportsgenius86 posted:

And that's not even the lowlight of that whole show. KOTR 95 is possibly the worst PPV of all time.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I will go with you on the rest, but Hakushi was an rear end kicking Shinto monk. Granted they didn't do much with him, and pairing him with Barry Horowitz was probably the kiss of death, but his gimmick was sound!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah I really dug Hakushi when they debuted the gimmick. His look and entrance were pretty scary for a while there.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Mr. Yuk posted:

I will go with you on the rest, but Hakushi was an rear end kicking Shinto monk. Granted they didn't do much with him, and pairing him with Barry Horowitz was probably the kiss of death, but his gimmick was sound!

Ha, I liked him too. In related news, Jean Pierre Lafitte debuted on the last Raw I watched. I remembered most of these gimmicks, but I'm shocked that they all showed up over such a short period of time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Adam Bomb struck me as a potentially good gimmick even if the actual wrestler wasn't that interesting.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Adam Bomb struck me as a potentially good gimmick even if the actual wrestler wasn't that interesting.

Everyone says his look was silly but I think it was really great in this cheesy '90s way :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
TMYK: Adam Bomb's kneepads were an overt reference to an LBJ political ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'd heard that but I'd always assumed it was just an incompetent jackass' take on an atom diagram anyways

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kawalimus posted:

And that's not even the lowlight of that whole show. KOTR 95 is possibly the worst PPV of all time.

In a world where New Blood Rising and Heroes of Wrestling exist, it might be third, but it can't be the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Memento posted:

In a world where New Blood Rising and Heroes of Wrestling exist, it might be third, but it can't be the worst.

December to Dismember also exists.