Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Ys origin is easily my favorite in the series. Totally worth getting if you're on the edge about bumping up to the BTA tier.

There's a group of people who will buy into any of that poo poo, easily. I know so many fundamentalist idiots who think iran/north korea pose actual threats to the US and if we're not careful the plot of lovely tom clancy books like teeth of the tiger and red dawn will happen IRL and it will be up to them and the militia to protect the USA. Never underestimate how loving stupid the target consumer is.

My mom knows a lot of these people from church and they forward her unironic emails like, "NEW PROOF THAT MICHELLE OBAMA IS A MAN" and "BLACK HELICOPTERS SIGHTED ON ANNIVERSARY OF PROPHETS DEATH"
It doesn't help that there have been unannounced mock terror attacks by Black-Ops helicopters in several cities and the most secretive administration the country ever had, to feed those trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Geoff Keighley just linked this which might be relevant to Steam: http://www.sierra.com/

Sierra is back apparently? I'm skeptical because it's part of Activision so there's no telling what could come of this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zeether posted:

Geoff Keighley just linked this which might be relevant to Steam: http://www.sierra.com/

Sierra is back apparently? I'm skeptical because it's part of Activision so there's no telling what could come of this.
We think we've really nailed the core concepts of the King's Quest franchise: linear, third-person cover-based shooting

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sierra was responsible in some way for Half-life I think. I'll always nod my hod in silent approval when I think of that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Didn't this turn out to be the same thing Steam was doing when it surveys your hardware and installed software?

Yes. And basically the same thing hundreds of other programs use for the exact same purpose, advertising. I hope everyone who complained about Origin is using Linux because they would be god drat horrified to learn what kind of data Microsoft and Apple scrape from their computers.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sankis posted:

Steam updated for me earlier. It has a new icon in the task bar, a blue circle with the usual steam logo within it, and the UI itself has streaks of blue near the top. However, now Steam (Particularly "bootstrapper") simply hangs as soon as the program loads. How do I fix this? :(

I've had issues today too. New icon, new UI, but Steam is sluggish as poo poo and when I try to launch some games (DOTA is the best example), the games load really slow and when they start they stutter and are not usable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

I've had issues today too. New icon, new UI, but Steam is sluggish as poo poo and when I try to launch some games (DOTA is the best example), the games load really slow and when they start they stutter and are not usable.
It's because you're in the beta client.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Zeether posted:

Did sierra publish anything that wasn't complete garbage. I guess I enjoyed the lode runner reboot in the 90s but that is all that comes to mind.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Kins posted:

It's because you're in the beta client.

Yeah I know that, but the beta client normally at least works.

EDIT -- the download queue is getting stuck. Open it up and remove everything.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did sierra publish anything that wasn't complete garbage.

Off the top of my head

Space Quest series
Police Quest series
Kings Quest series
Quest for Glory series
Leisure Suit Larry series

That is a bunch of stuff they themselves made (IIRC), they also published a ton of other great stuff.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Like I said, anything that wasn't complete garbage?

oh wait...I guess they published original half life or something. Meh but who cares now. Sierra's backlog of IPs is poo poo in an outhouse so who gives a poo poo if they're "back"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They also made Gabriel Knight. There's a remake of the first game coming out headed by Jane Jensen but after how utterly mediocre Moebius was, I'm not filled with the confidence I had when the remake was first announced.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sankis posted:

Steam updated for me earlier. It has a new icon in the task bar, a blue circle with the usual steam logo within it, and the UI itself has streaks of blue near the top. However, now Steam (Particularly "bootstrapper") simply hangs as soon as the program loads. How do I fix this? :(

If anyone else has a similar issue I seemingly fixed it by opening the windows run prompt and typing steam://flushconfig and re-logging into Steam.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm going to legit stab you in the brain if you think Space Quest was garbage, because something is seriously wrong with you

edit: okay thats harsh and violent, but still.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

oh wait...I guess they published original half life or something. Meh but who cares now. Sierra's backlog of IPs is poo poo in an outhouse so who gives a poo poo if they're "back"
SWAT 4

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

You must have been a retarded and easily impressed child to enjoy a single "quest" game.

oh woops. Too bad that could never be done again.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

They also did SWAT, of which the fourth entry is completely missing from any digital download service. If they can deliver on that with this "new" Sierra that would be cool.

e: beaten, but they also published Earthsiege and I'd love to see that back but since it's part of what became Tribes the IP is probably in the hands of Hi-Rez or something

Zeether fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 8, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

markgreyam posted:

Steam has the ability to limit max download speed
Where is it hiding?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Where is it hiding?
Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Limit bandwidth to:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Quest for Glory series was genuinely good. The entire King's Quest and LSL series were total garbage. There was like one good Space Quest game, maybe two. There's a reason people have way more reverence for the LucasArts stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sierra also published the Homeworld series.

Though the past doesn't matter really. This is the equivalent of when Interplay tried to get people to fund a game for them just because they decided to call a new studio "Black Isle."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I remember those Quest games as just being frustrating because you'd invariably get stuck and it wouldn't give you any idea on how to proceed.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yep. Basically I remember sierra sold bottom of the barrel crap while lucast arts games were where it was at. Late 90s sierra was okay I guess as long as they weren't the in house devs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zeether posted:

e: beaten, but they also published Earthsiege and I'd love to see that back but since it's part of what became Tribes the IP is probably in the hands of Hi-Rez or something

I think Dynamix's IPs are in someone else's hands, cause we've already seem some of their games (namely Red Baron series and The Increadible Machine) on GoG, but not others. Then again, those were from before when Sierra acquired them, so who knows.

Either way, I would LOVE to see the Earth/Starsiege series finally see the light of day on GoG.

Oh, Sierra also published the Impression Games series, aka Caesar 1-3/Pharaoh/Zeus/Emperor.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sierra also published FEAR and No One Lives Forever if I'm not mistaken.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PostNouveau posted:

I remember those Quest games as just being frustrating because you'd invariably get stuck and it wouldn't give you any idea on how to proceed.

The puzzles in the Quest for Glory games were usually pretty fair and tended not to have the obtuse "you didn't pick up the unrelated object an hour ago, time to die" problems that most of the others did.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Sankis posted:

I had a 0 byte Dota 2 update that was switching between being queued and not queued. I managed to pause it and the hangs stopped.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

So besides the poo poo quest games, what IPs could sierra possibly bring back that any non-retard would care about?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kibayasu posted:

Sierra also published the Homeworld series.

Though the past doesn't matter really. This is the equivalent of when Interplay tried to get people to fund a game for them just because they decided to call a new studio "Black Isle."

If you want to get technical, the Sierra brand/title still existed after it was sold to Vivendi, and all of the original people left.

Sierra also published the later Crash Bandicoot & Spyro the Dragon games, which (in my opinion) were not as good the ones developed by Naughty Dog & Insomniac. It's possible they still have those IPs.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 8, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'd kill for a new SWAT in the vein of SWAT 4, but we'd just end up getting a lovely cover shooter.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Just a quick note--I purchased A Story About My Uncle today, just because the grappling mechanic looked really fun, and I liked the overall look of the world in the vids.

I've been playing it for about 90 minutes or so, and I'm really enjoying it! I just got to the village, which is the first major area past the starting house.

Pros:
-grappling/momentum/physics feels really good to me

-pretty areas so far...big, and a decent sense of vertigo when you're flying/falling

-gameplay ramps up really nicely, explains things well, and is overall friendly

-some decent effort was put into the story telling, set dressing, etc.

Cons (all pretty minor):
-some of the word choices and phrasing in the dialogue is slightly iffy.

-the NPCs are a little janky--it would have been nice if they were *slightly* less cartoony

-the village was cool, but there was nothing to do there, other than travel through it. Some collectibles tucked away would have been nice (or maybe there were, and I just suck?).

Watch the vids, and if it looks like fun to you, you'll probably like it. It's currently on sale for $6.50 (50% off), and at this point, I'd be happy at having paid full price. :)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So besides the poo poo quest games, what IPs could sierra possibly bring back that any non-retard would care about?
Shadow of Yserbius?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Shadow of Yserbius?

hahahahahahahahhahaa

Orv
May 4, 2011
Basically every good series that Sierra published was made by now-extinct studios. Impressions (Caeser, Pharoah, Zeus), SWAT, Homeworld, Tribes. Silent Thunder (the A-10 plane games), Lords of Magic and their adventure games are basically all they have left of their own.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Orv posted:

Basically every good series that Sierra published was made by now-extinct studios. Impressions (Caeser, Pharoah, Zeus), SWAT, Homeworld, Tribes. Silent Thunder (the A-10 plane games), Lords of Magic and their adventure games are basically all they have left of their own.

It's more a matter of who owns the rights to what rather than if the studios still exist. They almost definitely don't have the rights to Homeworld, for example.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

hahahahahahahahhahaa
Y'always remember your first online game.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

BC's Quest for Tires.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's more a matter of who owns the rights to what rather than if the studios still exist. They almost definitely don't have the rights to Homeworld, for example.

Well yeah, but we've seen how different studios handle old IPs. I don't exactly have a lot of faith.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I pray it's just the name of activision's new digital distribution platform or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I pray it's just the name of activision's new digital distribution platform or something similar.

Like how EA co-opted the Origin name? Yeah I'm thinking this might be right.

• Locked thread