Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My 13 month old got tubes in today. We weren't sure how he'd feel afterward so my wife and I both took the day off work. Apparently tubes are best thing, because he has been in a great mood all day. Poor guy had so much fluid and pressure in his ears he probably feels great. He had another infection, the Dr. said it was impossible to tell until pus would ooze out of his ears because he was so used to the pressure and ear pain he just didn't show signs of infection. Basically he's probably had constant on and off infection for the last 9 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
When my oldest first got tubes put in she complained that everything was too loud and hurt her ears because she was so used to having her ears full of gunk that it was like she'd spent the past year+ wearing earplugs. It only took her about a day to adjust but that first day was miserable. Of course, it didn't help that she had tonsils/adenoids out all at the same time either.

Once she recovered though they definitely were the best thing ever. The tubes lasted about 2 years and by the time they fell out she had grown enough that her eustachian tubes were finally draining right, so she's never had a single ear infection since getting the tubes.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My older son got tubes at 11 months and we went to the zoo that afternoon because he was in a fantastic mood after a good nap. The set at 23 months... Not so much, but they also took out his adenoids. That set appears to be falling out now at 30 months and I so hope we don't have to do it again.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Welp, our two-year-old discovered today that when we say the stove is hot, we mean it.

Anyone have good advice with dealing with a toddler's burned finger? Is teething gel safe to use as an anesthetic?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Neosporin helps, as does a cool, damp cloth.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Axiem posted:

Welp, our two-year-old discovered today that when we say the stove is hot, we mean it.

Anyone have good advice with dealing with a toddler's burned finger? Is teething gel safe to use as an anesthetic?

Children's ibuprofen or acetimenophen for pain, aloe or Silvadene on the burn or some sort of antiobiotic ointment, if it's first degree.

If it's second degree, gently clean any blistering without breaking them with mild soap and water. And get a recommendation from a doctor for anything to put on it. Anything past first degree, even some things made specifically for burns can hurt like a bitch if you put it on the burn.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Axiem posted:

My kids stepped on coals this weekend (rant post about a page back.)

Silvadene creme is awesome if you already have some, but not necessary for a little finger burn. Ibuprofen works like a charm to take the edge off; that's what Urgent Care did. Cold water. After an hour it won't really hurt him anymore anyway. Some Neosporin cream with the analgesic in it works okay. Or spray some Dermaplast on it to take the pain down. (I forget what the analgesic in Neosporin is, and Dermaplast has benzocaine.) No greasy ointments; traps the heat in.

Keep it covered with a dry gauze; don't pop the blister. My oldest has touched the electric burner three times to date. :brick: Some days, I think it will be a miracle if they make it to 18.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I got both of the recommended baby chairs. The Diono and the Safety 1st. We really like both of them! I've put the Diono in my car and will be putting the Safety 1st in my wife's car.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.

Professor Bananas posted:

Quick question for all of you who have done potty training! My little boy is starting to grab his nappy area and try to tell us something when he has to poo (or is pooing already? I'm not sure.) He's only 21 months and we're in no rush, he's also in full time day care so we don't want to try potty training too early. But I also felt a bit weird realising what he was doing today and reassuring him he could go in his nappy!

Is this time to buy a potty time, or just the early signs of him realising what needing to go feels like? Also he still doesn't know when he needs to pee and looks super surprised about it at bath time which is always hilarious.

Sure, why not? We introduced the potty early and he loved just sitting on it (with a diaper on). Just give it a try and see if he's interested. If not, you can always put it away for later. I see no reason not to start teaching him about going to the potty. My kiddo used to like watching this video on my tablet while sitting on the potty (skip to around 1:40 to get past the super long intro music).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCVwCsEUQ0

Regarding eating out, here are some ideas:
- Go to pizza places or similarly casual restaurants
- Go early; there will be other families there. Try to go to non-super-busy restaurants; shoot for weeknights instead of weekends
- Ask if all food can come out at the same time so there's less waiting for different courses
- Don't bother with salads/appetizers, or ask them to bring the kid's meal at the same time as the appetizer.
- Order a pitcher of beer rather than having to order each one individually
- Make the kid sit in a high chair (if he still fits) so he can't escape
- Bring stuff for him to do, like books and toys. If feasible, use linky things to attach stuff to the high chair. I'm not above letting a toddler play on a tablet, as long as the sound is off
- Go to the dollar store or thrift store and get a bunch of new-to-him toys that would work in a restaurant. Bring a few with you when you go out; these should keep him engaged better than old toys. This has been a good strategy for car trips, too
- If the kid gets really rambunctious, take him for a walk (parents can switch off)
- See if you can get other friends/relatives who like kids to come with you. It's nice to have more people talking to him and keeping him from getting bored
- The buffet is a great idea!
- Keep expectations low, and accept going into it that it just might not work out. It's not the end of the world to pack up the food and take it home

You guys probably know all this already, though!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

AlistairCookie posted:

Keep it covered with a dry gauze; don't pop the blister.

She appears to utterly hate band-aids and gauzes and such, so this is a no-go. I put some Neosporin on it and she said it only hurt "a little" before I put her to bed. I found the Aloe, so if she complains too much tomorrow, my wife can use that (or just go to Ibuprofin).

The Young Marge posted:

- Ask if all food can come out at the same time so there's less waiting for different courses
- Don't bother with salads/appetizers, or ask them to bring the kid's meal at the same time as the appetizer.

This made me remember: one thing we've done with some success is to ask for the server to bring the kid's food out as soon as it's ready, even if our food isn't done yet. Since she usually gets things that cook quickly, when they actually follow through on this it helps. Also, our daughter takes a long time to eat, so it gives her a head start on us :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're forgetting the most important thing about dining out: tip %30 or more. Your server is not going to care that you have a kid if you tipped him %30 last time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Axiem posted:

I did that as a kid, whole flat of my hand on a stove plate. I thought it wasn't hot or even had bee turned on, I was trying to joke by slamming my hand down on a cold plate and pretending I got burned. Talk about irony. My parents used a salve called Bepanthen that the doctor recommended, still use it today, it's pretty good for burns.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skeetied posted:

My older son got tubes at 11 months and we went to the zoo that afternoon because he was in a fantastic mood after a good nap. The set at 23 months... Not so much, but they also took out his adenoids. That set appears to be falling out now at 30 months and I so hope we don't have to do it again.

My oldest needed 2 sets and she's been fine since the 2nd set fell out. My son has only had 1 set and he seems fine now. Ear tubes are the best thing ever though.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
So our daughter is a little over 9 months and has decided she doesn't like anything but stage 2 vegetables and 2 types of meats, or her formula/formula and cereal. Any suggestions on things we can try that are slightly chunkier, or foods we can put on her hi-chair tray and let her grab and stuff in her mouth? We are deathly afraid of her choking, which means I'm kinda out of ideas on softer chunky foods. It's pretty drat frustrating now.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Jiro Kage posted:

So our daughter is a little over 9 months and has decided she doesn't like anything but stage 2 vegetables and 2 types of meats, or her formula/formula and cereal. Any suggestions on things we can try that are slightly chunkier, or foods we can put on her hi-chair tray and let her grab and stuff in her mouth? We are deathly afraid of her choking, which means I'm kinda out of ideas on softer chunky foods. It's pretty drat frustrating now.

Our girl stopped liking purees soon after I introduced the first chunky food she could pick up and feed herself. Insert a few months of frustration because I hadn't introduced many foods that could be presented in chunks. Some of her first chunky favorites:

avocado cubes (HUGE hit)
cottage cheese (not as chunky / handleable but very much a favorite)
canned peaches (I got the kind in 100% juice, no extra sugar)
canned pears (ditto ^)
shredded cheese (maybe this was a little later, can't remember)
sweet potatoes (well cooked)
squash (well cooked)
peas (well cooked)
carrots (well cooked)

Since she wasn't completely adept at getting the food to her mouth by herself we could sneak bites of puree in between self fed bites.
Hope this helps!

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012
A question of my own now:
Thoughts on how useful a double stroller can be?
We're about to birth our second kiddo next month. Dragonet A will be a little over two. Though she is walking more and more we still use our large stroller (baby trend expedition) around the neighborhood to walk to the library, pool, playground, even grocery store, as well as zoo type trips. Until Dragonet B can sit in the stroller on his own (no carseat) I wouldn't want to take just the single stroller and have Dragonet A walk the whole time on a longer outing. While I like baby wearing I also don't want to do that the whole time on longer walks either. Is it worth getting a double stroller? Additional pros/cons?
Pros:
mobile containment for two kiddos of a young age (we may go for a Dragonet C in the future)
we do a lot of walking around our neighborhood - would use at least weekly

Cons:
cost (could handle under $250, more would seriously stretch budget)
another piece of bulky baby gear around the house
will it fit in our hatchback's trunk?
lack of good basket storage in most models I've looked at (esp. for bad for grocery store runs)
hard to maneuver? (so I've heard)
how long would I actually use/need it before A walks well enough and/or B rides well enough that I could switch them out (wear B) and just use the single

Another option is our (step2) wagon, maybe I could figure out how to strap a car seat in it and still have daughter ride...though I like pushing the stroller better...goons?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

jackpot posted:

Hey, just wanted to give a hand, foot, and mouth update, because I know that's what everybody wants. After you stop itching and the sores go away, you start to notice that the tips of your fingers feel calloused and a little numb. Then really dry. Then they start to peel a little bit, then a little more, and jesus christ are you loving kidding me? This goddamn virus can loving eat me.

I haven't gotten to this part yet, but I've had every other symptom, I see no reason why I'll avoid this one.

If your fingernails fall off, gird yourself for 6+ months of sensitivity in the nailbed. David still hates having his toenails trimmed and he had HFM in February.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Double-strollers are amazing, but I'm working with 3+ kids here. The two smaller ones go in the stroller, the others hold on the side. We are our own parade float. I got it on clearance at Target for ~$120. It barely fits in the back of the minivan, so space may be an issue for you. When I only had two, I made the older one walk alongside with a tagalong and stuck with a single stroller. Worst case, you could strap the littlest to you with an Ergo and push the older one in the stroller. I really only upgraded to a double when we went above 2 kids.

As far as refusing purees, you could always smear it on toast. We introduced our oldest to every puree that way, he didn't like to be fed so we just gave him toast slathered in anything and everything. Worked like a charm. With our second kid, we skipped purees and just gave her the squishiest foods we made that night.

And for eating out, we started early and often. When in doubt, take them to Dennys once a week to get them used to sitting still, not screaming, not throwing food everywhere, and being patient for a meal. Once they know the rules, and the consequences of not obeying, they learn quick and become pleasant dining companions.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Yay stroller talk so I didn't have to be the one to bring it up. New baby comes at the end of september. Older baby will be 23 months. We take our current guy for a stroll with the dog every night. I can see us using a double at minimum once a week. In and out of the car.

1.5 strollers: Our friends have a baby trend sit n stand. I don't love it. Joovy varylight would be my preference for that style I think. I don't think a just turned 2 year old will like the bench seat at disneyland for instance. If I'm going to push a double stroller I want him to be able to take a nap sometimes too.

Tandem: Mountain Buggy Duet looks nice to me. I pushed it around buy buy baby today and didn't love it. I like that you'll still be able to tilt it back and push it up a curb which I do regularly on our nightly walk.

Inline: Baby Jogger City Select. Lots of seating options. It can be folded with both seats attached. Same width wheel to wheel as the duet above but feels narrower since it's just one seat up top instead of two. Reviews mention it's heavy to push when you get a heavier toddler up front. This sounds like the same problem I have with my friends Baby Trend Sit n Stand.

I'm between the Mountain Buggy Duet and the Baby Jogger City Select right now. Wife wants the City Select I think. Any thoughts from all of you out there?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hdip posted:

I'm between the Mountain Buggy Duet and the Baby Jogger City Select right now. Wife wants the City Select I think. Any thoughts from all of you out there?

Try the UPPAbaby Vista if you're going to shell out for the City Select. We *love* ours. It's seriously the best stroller ever. I can steer it with one hand with the car seat plus 14 pound infant plus 33 pound toddler in the Rumble Seat. We usually do car seat or main seat plus the kick board, though, which my 30 month old adores so much. I keep it and all the accessories in my car and can create any stroller on demand (even one to hold three!).

For cheap double strollers, we have a Joovy Scooter X2 as our house/don't want to get UPPA out of the car stroller and it's decent. It fits through doorways and has a decent sized basket for an umbrella type stroller. It steers well too, even with 33 pounds in one side and 14 pounds in the other. I take it to the grocery store pretty regularly.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

My heart goes out to those with double strollers trying to manoeuvre their way through but shopping malls, stores, etc. I find it tough enough to contain my anger at people and I only have one child.

Whenever I see a parent with a double stroller, they always look ready to commit heinous crimes.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Haggis Heed posted:

My heart goes out to those with double strollers trying to manoeuvre their way through but shopping malls, stores, etc. I find it tough enough to contain my anger at people and I only have one child.

Whenever I see a parent with a double stroller, they always look ready to commit heinous crimes.

I only use the double stroller for open places like theme parks and racetracks, or for containing napping little ones while waiting for the older kids during My Gym class. I use regular shopping carts in stores (toddler in the cart seat, infant in carseat in the cart, two older ones holding either side) and I avoid malls like the plague.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I admit to just sticking my four year old on the front of our single Bob (where the feet are supposed to go), while the 18 month old rides in the seat. She's been riding that way since she was three. I just can't see myself pushing one of those double strollers around.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I am just about ready to kill people who take up the whole goddamn sidewalk and barely let me pass with our tiny umbrella pram.

I should just take our huge one and use that fucker like a cow catcher.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Parent of twins here. We have two double strollers, one front-to-back (Baby Trend Snap N Go with space for two car seats), one side-by-side (Maclaren Twin Triumph). The side-by-side is DEFINITELY more maneuverable than the front-to-back one, but at the cost of being wider. Not so great for tight spaces like grocery aisles, but great for wide-open-but-crowded spaces like a carnival (we once dragged the front-to-back through a carnival, really bad idea).

Both fold down pretty well to about the same size, but definitely not as small as a single stroller. They fit nicely in the trunk of either of our sedans.

When we bought one of them, another parent of twins gave us something to keep in mind. In a front-to-back, the guy sitting in back can kick the guy in front. In a side-by-side, they can smack each other. Depending on the temperament of your little ones, one might be better than the other in that respect.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I refused to get a side-by-side stroller because I actually wanted to fit through doors, so I got a tandem instead. The Contours Options LT is quite nice in that regard... two seats, super easy to just pop them out and turn them to face forward or backwards, and it folds up small enough to fit in the trunk of my Mazda3 hatchback. Plus it has a decent enough car seat attachment that you can plunk the infant seat into it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Re: food by nine months my kid was eating whatever we did for meals (with the exception of honey and choking hazards)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Jiro Kage posted:

sheri posted:

Re: food by nine months my kid was eating whatever we did for meals (with the exception of honey and choking hazards)
Yeah, whatever it's called - baby-led weaning is what I heard - our kid was eating pretty much whatever we ate starting around six months, with obvious exceptions for potential allergies and things that were no-brainer choke hazards (I'm still afraid to give him a hot dog that's not cut into a million pieces). And there's no getting around it, the choking thing is terrifying. But honestly, while we had some gagging (looks like choking, but still breathing), we never had a real choking situation. It'll still scare the crap out of you, but it's gonna be scary whether you do it now or three months from now. Anyway, here are some foods we found worked great; some kbdragon already mentioned.

Avocado. Makes a horrific mess, but Oliver loved it.
Roast beef. Seriously. Roast the hell out of it, get it super tender, give it to them in small stringy pieces.
Meatloaf / hamburger. Loved it.
Sweet potatoes. We baked them at first and just scooped out the potato, then later we did a thing where you cut 'em into fries (you want fries because they're harder to choke on than cubes), coat with some olive oil and cinnamon, roast in the oven til they're nice and soft. He still eats these, crazy about 'em.
Steamed carrots, served as sticks. Again, the longer they are the better, makes them harder to choke on (and easier to get back if you need to).
EGGS. Lots of eggs.

It was a book/cookbook called "Baby Led Weaning," and while we're not evangelists about it, it worked pretty well in our situation; your mileage may vary.

vanessa posted:

If your fingernails fall off, gird yourself for 6+ months of sensitivity in the nailbed. David still hates having his toenails trimmed and he had HFM in February.
Fingers crossed, but nothing like that so far. My skin has stopped peeling in large chunks, now it's just coming off in little flakes. I still have to carry nail clippers with me at all times, just in case a large piece starts to tear away.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
My kid is just over three years old. 28 pounds, 35 inches tall (wearing shoes). All the size charts put her in size 2T clothes. So why is she actually in size 3T, with some 4T shirts that fit, and now in size 5 pull-ups? Are the sizes that off in kids clothes, or do I have no idea what clothes should look/act like when they fit?

EDIT: She's in regular undies for the daytime, so it's not an issue of needing more butt-room in her pants to accommodate that; she's just in overnights.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My kid is just over three years old. 28 pounds, 35 inches tall (wearing shoes). All the size charts put her in size 2T clothes. So why is she actually in size 3T, with some 4T shirts that fit, and now in size 5 pull-ups? Are the sizes that off in kids clothes, or do I have no idea what clothes should look/act like when they fit?

EDIT: She's in regular undies for the daytime, so it's not an issue of needing more butt-room in her pants to accommodate that; she's just in overnights.

That weird. My boy is 3, around 35lbs 36-38 inches, and he wears 3t shirts but they're loose, and 2t pants (boy has no rear end) My 1 year old is a hambeast, he's like 26" 27lbs wearing 2t shirts and 18month pants barely. He is what you could call "solid"

This is 3yr old in 3t shirt 2t shorts.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
For her, shirts get stuck going over her head, and pants are too tight for her to pull off. Her undies/pull-ups leave red marks on her bum (and she complains that they itch/hurt).

I guess she just has wide hips and a big head?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hungry Squirrel posted:

For her, shirts get stuck going over her head, and pants are too tight for her to pull off. Her undies/pull-ups leave red marks on her bum (and she complains that they itch/hurt).

I guess she just has wide hips and a big head?

Not to be weird but yeah she must have wide hips or a bubble but or something. My guy has to wear pants a size down from tops or they fall right off. He is just getting into 2t pants, 18/24 month pants with elastic still fit him, but his torso length shoulder width has moved him to 3t shirts. 4t shirts are really long and baggy on her stomach right?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
My dude is about 16 months and he's usually in 3Ts for shirts and 18-24m for pants. He's kind of monstrous, though, but it really depends on the store. No such thing as standard sizing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madra De Dhia posted:

My dude is about 16 months and he's usually in 3Ts for shirts and 18-24m for pants. He's kind of monstrous, though, but it really depends on the store. No such thing as standard sizing.

What is his percentile for weight/height? My 3 yr old is like 55% for weight 85% height. My 1 yr old is 98% weight. He is a tank. The boys can almost wear the same clothes. Isaac is about 10 inches shorter but his waist is the same more or less. I don't really have a good pic of the two of them side by side, they are too active!

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

jassi007 posted:

What is his percentile for weight/height? My 3 yr old is like 55% for weight 85% height. My 1 yr old is 98% weight. He is a tank. The boys can almost wear the same clothes. Isaac is about 10 inches shorter but his waist is the same more or less. I don't really have a good pic of the two of them side by side, they are too active!

Haven't had his check since he was ~9 months, but then he was 95% for height and 55% for weight. He's due for his next appointment soon so I'd be interested to see! He's pretty dang tall.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

jassi007 posted:

4t shirts are really long and baggy on her stomach right?

Yep. 4T shirts are like adorable tunics, and the shoulders are droopy. 3T shirts are a little long, but not too much. 3T shorts are long, but she can get them on and off, which is crucial with getting her to the potty on time. She has some 4T skirts, even, and they low ride but they don't fall off.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Love the knotty pine doors and trim. That is all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Size charts are a lie, and sizes aren't really standardized across brands.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Size charts are a lie, and sizes aren't really standardized across brands.

See also: All clothes, for your whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Madra De Dhia posted:

No such thing as standard sizing.
Aint that the truth. Oliver is 16 months old, was 32 pounds at his checkup a month ago. I forget the height, but it's proportionate; he's not fat, just built like a three year old. No idea where it comes from, his mom and I were both "normal" sized.