Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to find a Chick-fil-a

I recommend visiting Mutianyu at the Great Wall

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Are there any Great Wall tourism companies y'all recommend? I am looking at visiting the Mutianyu section but am open to other spots. Viator has some good reviews and $75 for a day trip doesn't sound like I'd be getting hosed.

mrgoodtrips fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 7, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I did it through Saga Youth Hostel and it was like 45 bucks I think, but that was in 2010, was a good trip, highly recommend.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Recently there was a very hyperbolic but well-informed bbc doc called How China Fooled The World. Also a few years ago a better doc called The China Problem summed up today's issues.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
There are public buses from Dongzhimen station that go directly to Mutianyu. The bus station is a bit hard to find, just walk around the outside of Dongzhimen station and you should come across an outdoor lot with a few bus lines.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I saw Astrill recommended for computer, but what their phone program? It's not widely downloaded and they talk about it being slow in China and not to blame them, is that their program or will all be slower?

Cabe recommended HostVPN but he's not in real China, do we have confirmation that works in real China and on phones too.

Bugblatter is using Vypr and likes it and Eifert is using something mysterious and it sucks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DontAskKant posted:

I saw Astrill recommended for computer, but what their phone program? It's not widely downloaded and they talk about it being slow in China and not to blame them, is that their program or will all be slower?

Cabe recommended HostVPN but he's not in real China, do we have confirmation that works in real China and on phones too.

Bugblatter is using Vypr and likes it and Eifert is using something mysterious and it sucks.

You mean Pat is using something mysterious that sucks. :eng101:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Host is the one that sucks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

I go to REAL CHINA for work. Jerk.

Just pick one :colbert:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hong Kong is really part of China.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

caberham posted:

I go to REAL CHINA for work. Jerk.

Just pick one :colbert:

Obviously you don't or you wouldn't recommend one that sucks... Unless... Eifert hosed up.

I'll just pick some seaweed maybe a lovely one because I don't value my friend's happiness. :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'd consider that I hosed up if it wasn't for the fact that I get five different error messages. Not too computer savvy, I'd believe I was doing something wrong if it was just one. I'm skeptical of my fault If i can do the exact same thing within a minute and it fails for a different reason.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DontAskKant posted:

The Astrill phone VPN works great. It worked all the time with no problems back in June.

Hong Kong is an integral part of China. Archeological evidence and Han dynasty maps point to habitation well before William Jardine had it set it up as Her Majesty's den of inequity.

EDIT: The cell networks in China are the second slowest in the world, India gets that gold star. Speed is the least of your worries.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 8, 2014

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
HostVPN is... flaky. I constantly have issues with it.

edit: It works on phones.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The XiaoMi Mi 3 is an amazing phone, by the way. It's not preloaded with Chinese crapware, it's fast, and has awesome specs for the price point. If you get a contract phone with China Unicom you'll get a deal on data.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Woodsy Owl posted:

The XiaoMi Mi 3 is an amazing phone, by the way. It's not preloaded with Chinese crapware, it's fast, and has awesome specs for the price point. If you get a contract phone with China Unicom you'll get a deal on data.

Yeah I know a guy who actually sold his iPhone 5s because he liked the Mi3 so much.

It's making me wonder if I should get one even though I already have a phone.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

LentThem posted:

Yeah I know a guy who actually sold his iPhone 5s because he liked the Mi3 so much.

It's making me wonder if I should get one even though I already have a phone.

The one I bought recently was a birthday gift for my girlfriend. I'm really tempted to buy one for myself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's so good about it? I need a new netbook anyway.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

What's so good about it? I need a new netbook anyway.

The amount of phone you get for the money; it's got great specifications for the price-point. It hasn't got any Chinese crapware preinstalled, the MIUI launcher and suite is intuitive, and most importantly it's fast, really really fast. The only frustrating thing is the battery life, which is a point where nearly all smartphones struggle.

edit: We went to a large chain electronics department store to look for the phone and the two attendants we asked said they didn't sell XiaoMi products because "the after-sale service sucks." I don't know if that's true or not.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Just wait for the 4!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Which also doesn't have a replaceable battery.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
3 is so last year, 4 is already out.

The phones are decent but don't kid yourself that it's iPhone good when it comes to finish, materials. The phone degrades of memory leaks after a while

But really who cares when it's so cheap. I'm bummed about the newer models when they don't sell replaceable batteries.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Went with a friend to get her a new phone the other day and all the Mi3s we looked at were really loving hot, I guess that's just when they're charging since no one seems to bring that up as a problem?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Went with a friend to get her a new phone the other day and all the Mi3s we looked at were really loving hot, I guess that's just when they're charging since no one seems to bring that up as a problem?

Pretty much any phone including high end androids and iPhones get really hot if they're under heavy load. Display models probably have 1000 things running in the background from people picking then up and fooling around for a second or two, so that's unsurprising.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

caberham posted:

3 is so last year, 4 is already out.

The phones are decent but don't kid yourself that it's iPhone good when it comes to finish, materials. The phone degrades of memory leaks after a while

But really who cares when it's so cheap. I'm bummed about the newer models when they don't sell replaceable batteries.

They're pretty good considering it's a third of the cost of an iPhone 5. Generally, you still get what you pay for though.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

I use HostVPN on both my computer and Android phone. OpenVPN works best. Never really come across problems connecting since switching to OpenVPN.

I get about 12mbs on a 20mbs line to LA which is better than my coworkers get on VyprVPN or ExpressVPN.

Edit: Honestly you can't count on VPN recommendations. The firewall is different from province to province and some ISPs block some protocols while others don't. Best advice, sign up for 1 month and try it out. If it works, keep going, if it doesn't, try a different one. Don't buy a 1 year until you know it's going to work.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 11, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Has anyone used WorldNomads? $72 for 2 weeks is normal?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haha, no, that's what I pay per year.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DontAskKant posted:

Has anyone used WorldNomads? $72 for 2 weeks is normal?

I've recently checked and that's the going rate for your mother, haha!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

MeramJert posted:

I've recently checked and that's the going rate for your mother, haha!

Excuse me young sir I believe you are in the wrong thread. The hooligan thread is that way.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DontAskKant posted:

Excuse me young sir I believe you are in the wrong thread. The hooligan thread is that way.

If you ever show up at a goonmeet I'm also attending, you're dead.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

We were all dead the moment we were born

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

simplefish posted:

We were all dead the moment we were born

Isn't this the plot of a Kurt Vonnegut book?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'll admit, I was thinking of you when I typed it, since you mentioned goonmeets.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

MeramJert posted:

If you ever show up at a goonmeet I'm also attending, you're dead.

Well I do hope that after accepting whatever personal savior(s) you choose we will meet in a joyful afterlife goonmeet. Thank you for your kind words. Would you like an artisinal handcrafted pamphlet?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

Well I do hope that after accepting whatever personal savior(s) you choose we will meet in a joyful afterlife goonmeet. Thank you for your kind words. Would you like an artisinal handcrafted pamphlet?

I am MeramJert's savior and, trust me, you will not like it when we cross paths.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I used one called PandaPow cause it had a sexy anime girl mascot. It always worked fine.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

synertia posted:

I am MeramJert's savior and, trust me, you will not like it when we cross paths.

I do believe I should not like that if we are all crossing paths at the same time. The path is straight and narrow and not nearly wide enough. Would you like to sign my petition to widen the path? I have spoken to management about, but I believe with successful applications of grit we will prevail brothers.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Woodsy Owl posted:

They're pretty good considering it's a third of the cost of an iPhone 5. Generally, you still get what you pay for though.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/08/xiaomi-phones-secretly-sending-users.html

...and also there's stuff like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Cool, I'll manually block it. Thanks for the heads up!