Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Captain Pissweak posted:

Is anyone in the Liberal party even from a scientific background and simultaneously haven't entirely missed the point of the method.

There's climate denialist and professional fuckknuckle Dennis Jensen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dennis Jensen is the only one with a scientific background, and he's a climate change denier

He doesn't seem to actually understand the scientific method though, so does he really count?

poo poo, has he even ever written a paper? I'd be interested in it in a disaster tourism kind of way. He was a geologist right?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

Lost Generation
The unemployment rate unexpectedly jumped in July to 6.4 per cent - its highest level in 12 years.

Young people have been particularly hard-hit, with unemployment for 15-24-year-olds hitting 14.1 per cent - the highest level since October 2001.

The jobless rate for the 15-19-year-old subset jumped even more to 20.4 per cent - the highest since April 1997 - and was 30.1 per cent amongst those looking for full-time work.

"Nationally, youth unemployment is sitting at around 13 to 14 per cent which is as high as we've seen it since the beginning of this century," said Damian Oliver from Sydney University's Workplace Research Centre.

He said there were several signs the current generation of job seekers was struggling more than previous generations.

"One indication is the proportion of uni degree graduates who are looking for full-time work has shot up to around 25 per cent, which is the highest it's been for around 25 years," Mr Oliver said.

He says the Australian labour market has transformed, with a trend toward casual and part-time jobs and fewer opportunities in manufacturing and in the public sector.

Link.

quote:

Decline in conditions

Mr Kirkland says many of the survey's respondents reported cutting back spending on essential and non-essential items over the past 12 months, with plans for further cuts to spending in the coming year.

"Over 60 per cent have cut back on non-essentials, and when we asked them what they're likely to cut back on in the next 12 months they name items like clothing, entertainment and holidays," he said.

"Now they're all concerns because the retail and hospitality industries are major parts of our economy and major employers so if we see people cutting back on those areas it will have knock-on effects through the economy."

Link

quote:

Casual workforce

One in four Australian employees – over 2 million workers – are casual employees, with no job security and no right to paid leave, even when they get sick. Australia has one of the highest rates of casual employment in the developed world.

Casual employment is particularly high in some sectors but it is increasingly common across all sectors of the economy. In accommodation and food services, 65% of all employees are casual and in agriculture, 47% of all employees are casual.

More than half of all casual workers have been casually employed in their current job for more than a year and more than 325,000 workers have been employed casually in their current job for more than 5 years.

According to ABS data, more than half of all casual employees would prefer a permanent job.
Workers on fixed-term contracts

Over 350,000 employees work on a fixed-term contract. Fixed-term contracting is a particular problem in industries such as education and public administration.
Contracting and labour hire

There are more than 1 million independent contractors – workers who contract to perform services for another and don’t have the status of an ‘employee’.

Many contractors are genuinely independent, but many are economically dependent upon one client and have no bargaining power.

Sham contracting – whereby an employer disguises an employment relationship as a contracting one – is increasingly common in Australia. Employers engage in sham contracting to avoid having to give workers their rights and entitlements, such as paid leave, overtime and public holiday rates, workers’ compensation insurance and superannuation.

Link

BCR fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 8, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Palmersaurus posted:

“Dr Lanfranchi is a breast cancer surgeon and a clinical assistant professor of surgery. She is the surgical co-director of the Sanofi-Aventis Breast Care Centre and the Steeplechase Cancer Centre in New Jersey.

She has spoken at hospitals and universities around the world and she has the right to free speech in Australia.”

“I accept the AMA has a right to disagree with Dr Lanfranchi’s views.”

This specific part seems like bullshit because I'm sure whatever registration board Lanfranchi answers to would have some sort of code of conduct which prohibits using one's medical title to peddle dangerous pseudoscience.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
It's really telling that the only person in the Liberal party even vaguely capable of commenting on climate change as a result of their background is a vocal denier of it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Captain Pissweak posted:

It's really telling that the only person in the Liberal party even vaguely capable of commenting on climate change as a result of their background is a vocal denier of it.

Clearly means it's bullshit m8

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ofcourse the right to free speech should extend to incorrect and outdated medical advice. "B-b-but Free Speech! " really is their catch-all whine, isn't it?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

There's climate denialist and professional fuckknuckle Dennis Jensen?

If Sophie Mirabella won her seat we would have a science minister, proving once more that it is the left that is anti-science.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's Ian Macfarlane

He only cares about patents that allow recycling toxic sludge into chicken nuggets for maximum profit. His whole world revolves around making money for businesses and skirting around regulations. Science may as well be patents to him.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Captain Pissweak posted:

Not really though - he's a material scientist. Climate change denial is full of PhDs who think that their knowledge of a completely unrelated field qualifies them to comment.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Haters Objector posted:

I know that. I think we are arguing past each other here, the point I was making was that Keane seemed to be suggesting that the only way to improve the budget bottom-line is through a reduction in direct transfers, which would obviously disproportionately effect the poor. Specifically, he said:

yes, the budget is unfair, but it's because low- and middle-income earners receive far more from the government than high-income earners and companies and cuts to government outlays are inevitably going to hurt the former more than the latter.

Which is at best disingenuous, because it ignores the existence of tax expenditures, which disproportionately benefit the wealthy, and could be reduced to improve the budget bottom line without effecting those on low incomes.

Actually, I takes a few readings to parse it but it makes sense. It's saying "if you cut funding to these things, it only hurts the bottom and not the top because the top don't need any of the things you're cutting, so it's unfair if you keep cutting them"

But it IS really, really poorly written because holy poo poo that took too long to parse..

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 8, 2014

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
A small bright point to offset the avalanche of shite:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/08/news-corp-full-year-profits-halved-as-australian-newspaper-revenue-drops

The Graun posted:

News Corporation’s full-year profit has been more than halved as revenue from its Australian newspapers continues to slide, the company’s full-year results reveal.

The company made a net profit of US$237m (A$256.42m) for the year to 30 June, down 53% from US$506m in 2012-13.

However, the 2012-13 result was boosted by a one-off gain from the sale of its stake in New Zealand’s Sky pay TV operation.

Earnings from the company’s news and information division fell 16% in 2013/14 to US$130 million, mostly due to weakness in its Australian newspapers, which suffered an 18% drop in revenue, of which 10% was related to the foreign currency impact.

Total advertising revenues across the news divison declined 10%, driven primarily by weakness in the print advertising market. Circulation and subscription revenues declined 5%, but this was partially offset by cover price increases for several Australian and US mastheads, and online subscriptions.

The company’s Australian mastheads include the Herald Sun, the Daily Telegraph and the Australian.

News Corp’s full-year revenue fell 4% to US$8.57bn.

Meanwhile, the UK hacking scandal continued to weigh on News Corp, which spent US$72m in fees and costs linked to the matter during the year (net of indemnification by 21st Century Fox).

Earnings from News Corp’s cable network programming business, which includes Foxtel, increased 52% to US$491m chiefly due to the inclusion of Fox Sports Australia in the division. Segment EBITDA was $US128m.

The company’s digital real estate subsidiary REA Group, which runs realestate.com.au, lifted earnings 27% to US$214m while earnings from its book publishing business, HarperCollins, were up 39% to US$197 million.

News Corp chief executive, Robert Thomson, said the company had performed well in challenging conditions.

“While we are operating in a challenging advertising environment, our results highlight the diversification of our portfolio and our cost discipline, leading to improved free cash flow and a firm foundation for sustained growth,” he said.

Fusion Strategy media analyst Steve Allen said advertisers had ditched the print medium at almost twice the rate of the decline in circulation.

“Advertisers and their media agencies basically turned their back on print and we saw really severe declines which are only just starting to slow,” he said.

But he said that while advertising revenue is likely to flatten out at some point, it was likely the decline in circulation would continue.

“For News it has been more an advertising problem than a circulation problem but they will face a circulation problem,” he said.

“Our view would be that as the losses of advertising revenue start to stem, it’s likely there will be an increase in the rate of decline in circulation and cover revenue.”

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

sidviscous posted:

Not really though - he's a material scientist. Climate change denial is full of PhDs who think that their knowledge of a completely unrelated field qualifies them to comment.

Materials scientist explains so loving much. Nigh on all I know are engineers in how they act, and we all know what we think of engineers around these parts, hooman.

<:mad:>

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

sidviscous posted:

I think the gist was that someone who has completed a science degree should have some vague understanding of the scientific method and peer review for example.

Not that this is the case, just that it should be.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Materials scientist explains so loving much. Nigh on all I know are engineers in how they act, and we all know what we think of engineers around these parts, hooman.

<:mad:>

gently caress you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

BREAKING NEWS Tony Abbott says Australia is working towards tougher sanctions against Russia
says ABC's scrolling newsbar. :allears:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah!"
"Oh yeah?"
"YEAH!"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
That was a joke post, I know engineers are not inherently pieces of poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I wonder has it occurred to them that Russia can do far more damage to us than we can do to them?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Tokamak posted:

It's Ian Macfarlane

He only cares about patents that allow recycling toxic sludge into chicken nuggets for maximum profit. His whole world revolves around making money for businesses and skirting around regulations. Science may as well be patents to him.

That guy's got a hosed up voice.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I wonder has it occurred to them that Russia can do far more damage to us than we can do to them?

Tony's a big man who wants to stand up to those reds under the beds.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

wtf is this poo poo: https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2014/08/arrest-abbott-dare/

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SynthOrange posted:

How can anyone think this will end well?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Pissweak posted:

Most engineers are huge pieces of poo poo though... also horrible racists and sexists. :eng99:

It's just some of us who aren't. Especially the younger people tend to be actually pretty aware and environmentally conscious and vote green! Most engineers are boomers though and that tells you most of what you need to know.

I should see if I can find any ERA sites. Engineering Rights Activists, defending our privileged, privileged, white, male, rich selves against any form of criticism by declaring ourselves the victims, as opposed to all the people we constantly victimise.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Quadrant chucking a hissy fit over 18C.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/12/buildabomber.html

quote:

...but Gambetta and Hertog found that engineers, in particular, were three to four times more likely to become violent terrorists than their peers in finance, medicine or the sciences. The next most radicalizing graduate degree, in a distant second, was Islamic Studies.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

This is the funniest temper tantrum.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

Unrelated, but am I the only oe that has difficulty reading news tickers because sketch comedy has trained me to think of them as a joke delivery mechanism?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How do you mean?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Not necessarily bad.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

Quadrant chucking a hissy fit over 18C.

Is the answer "Religious" or "Right Wing"?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Minister for Science was unavailable for comment.

The comedian/science/children's entertainer guy who won an award for being the "Unsung Hero of SA Science Communication" at the opening of National Science Week last night, whose name completely escapes me at the moment, ended his speech by starting to "thank the National Minster for Scien... err yeah never mind", to the stifled laughter and frowns of the audience.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Was the answer Engineers?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Amoeba102 posted:

Going by what Les Affaires linked, yes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

1/ Members of the engineering community are disproportionately represented amongst those recently charged and convicted with plotting terrorist acts.

Correct based on article above.

2/ Members of the engineering community are disproportionately represented amongst those charged with female genital mutilation.

I know I'm frequently involved in FGM assuming we're using that as a euphemism. :huh:

3/ Some leaders of the engineering community are prone to denouncing the society that has welcomed them.

I frequently denounce our lovely Sexist, Racist, making GBS threads Anus of a Society.

4/ Other leaders of the engineering community remain pointedly silent as their co-religionists engineers journey overseas to join known terrorist organisations.

Not many engineers criticise those who work for the companies destroying the environment and terrorising local populaces for profit.

FACT CHECK: SEEMS LEGIT

EDIT: A terrible, horrible euphemism that I don't take seriously or would ever use in a context that isn't taking racist dogwhistling and retargeting it at rich privileged dickheads.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think the gist was that someone who has completed a science degree should have some vague understanding of the scientific method and peer review for example.

Not that this is the case, just that it should be.
Problem is that the methods* in various disciplines aren't easily comparable if you go beyond the broad, hand-wavy principles. A theoretical population biologist is going to struggle to make an informed assessment of the scientific validity of an analytical chemist's research, for example, because they're unlikely have the training in the scientific method as employed by analytical chemists.

*ie actual methods for statistical inference/hypothesis testing, falsification etc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How do you mean?

Well Russia slapped 400 million dollars worth of sanctions on us last night. I mean how much caviar and vodka do we...

Oh

Oh my god

not the vodka.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Oh my god

not the vodka.

:ussr:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
tbh Finnish vodka is best anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
With no vodka for cruisers, millions of teenage girls (and Endman) will have no choice but to switch to goon.

Maybe it was the goon manufacturers that shot down MH17... :tinfoil:

• Locked thread