Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
So I tried playing Scratches on the recommendation of the thread, (also it's on sale for like $3,) and while it's been a very unique and atmospheric experience, the gameplay is just dreadful. At one point in order to progress, you need to find a safe hidden behind a painting, and at no point are you given any indication that it even exists, let alone how to find it. Even if you've inspected the painting in question before you will only find the safe if you hover your mouse over one very small portion of it.

And that's just one example- there have been plenty of "seriously?" moments. I'm enjoying the story so far but jeez, the game may as well be called Scratches: Just Look It Up Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am totally ok with Capcom re-releasing the best classic RE game. I also think it would be awesome if they made a completely new classic RE style game and released as a download only title. Feels like a new one of those games would be awesome for 20 bucks or so.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, any effort to rerelease a classic game on Steam is fine by me. I just hope that it has an in-game 4:3 option (rather than having to actually change your monitor res) because that scrolling 16:9 solution they've described sounds kind of terrible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

al-azad posted:

Capcom announced another remake of Resident Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpX9vkXsk0&t=112s

Apparently it's going to be an update of the Gamecube version with better models and hi-res backgrounds. They also announced a different control scheme which is going to be interesting because Resident Evil was designed around the tank controls. I don't really know how they can modernize them without breaking the game's balance.

RE2 for N654 had tank controls, but it also had the option of just pushing the stick in the direction you want to go. If you crossed a camera angle boundary, it'd keep the same joystick->in-game direction mapping until you let it return to neutral, so you didn't have to whip the stick around every time you entered a new camera angle. It worked really well.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I am totally ok with Capcom re-releasing the best classic RE game.

They're not re-releasing RE2 though? :confused:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

al-azad posted:

Capcom announced another remake of Resident Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpX9vkXsk0&t=112s

Apparently it's going to be an update of the Gamecube version with better models and hi-res backgrounds. They also announced a different control scheme which is going to be interesting because Resident Evil was designed around the tank controls. I don't really know how they can modernize them without breaking the game's balance.

I'd rather have this than a new resident evil.

Let's be honest, capcom has proven it cannot make a new survival horror game.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd rather have this than a new resident evil.

Let's be honest, capcom has proven it cannot make a new survival horror game.

Ever since RE4 was a smash hit the franchise became adventure/stealth rock punching action movie nonsense. I haven't felt vulnerable in a Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 0. It's a shame, really.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you gave any of the early RE games decent RE4-like controls you wouldn't feel vulnerable anymore either.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

If you gave any of the early RE games decent RE4-like controls you wouldn't feel vulnerable anymore either.

I think it was much more the whole "Zombies spawn ammo!" and "Here's a shop!" bit that made that happen. If I played RE4 and had 50 bullets to my name at any given time it would have been a much more intense experience.

The "survival" portion of survival horror turned from scavenging and preserving resources to literally not dying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think a lot of people misremember how scarce ammo really was in the old games. It felt very scarce, because you wasted a lot of it by not being able to aim properly and because dodging was a nightmare, but I still regularly ended up with a pile of handgun bullets in excess of 100. The camera angles and lovely controls contributed much more to the difficulty than the actual game design did.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

RE4 controls exactly like the other games, the only thing that changed was the perspective :ssh:

Cardiovorax posted:

I think a lot of people misremember how scarce ammo really was in the old games. It felt very scarce, because you wasted a lot of it by not being able to aim properly and because dodging was a nightmare, but I still regularly ended up with a pile of handgun bullets in excess of 100. The camera angles and lovely controls contributed much more to the difficulty than the actual game design did.

Ammo in RE 1 and 2 at least was never scarce. All the times I've beaten those games I've killed every enemy I've come across and I've never even gotten close to running out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ammo was never scarce, neither were ink ribbons if you were a bit frugal. I played the classic Re games for the first time a few years ago, and the only time there was ever any suspense for me was in 3 due to Nemesis, and even then not much.

I felt Re4 was a great step for the franchise to take, going from unintentionally hilarious to intentionally hilarious a la cheesy action horror movies, but then they kinda dropped the ball from that point on, making them waaaay too serious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Ammo was never scarce, neither were ink ribbons if you were a bit frugal. I played the classic Re games for the first time a few years ago, and the only time there was ever any suspense for me was in 3 due to Nemesis, and even then not much.

I felt Re4 was a great step for the franchise to take, going from unintentionally hilarious to intentionally hilarious a la cheesy action horror movies, but then they kinda dropped the ball from that point on, making them waaaay too serious.

I honestly don't know how you can describe anything that goes on at the end of RE5 as being too serious. I don't particularly care for that game either, but that's not a complaint I would levy against it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

RE4 controls exactly like the other games, the only thing that changed was the perspective :ssh:
And what a difference that made. Still, they changed quite a bit more than that. Having a really good always-accessible melee attack, counters, context-sensitive dodges with on-screen prompts... The basic tank movement is a lot more bearable with all that convenience stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I honestly don't know how you can describe anything that goes on at the end of RE5 as being too serious. I don't particularly care for that game either, but that's not a complaint I would levy against it.

Oh no, the end of Re5 is fantastic. But a lot of stuff before that is nowhere near the level of charming goofiness that Re4 has.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ammo is scarce as gently caress if you are playing Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut and you pick Chris. One of the most difficult games I've ever played. I still never bothered to beat it, it was just too hard.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Can you, or anyone else who has given this a go, expand a little more on the gameplay and why it is unsettling? I thought about picking this one up, but from the description kind of wrote it off as like a top-down State of Decay. If it's actually good I might grab it, early access or not (I've been enjoying The Forest, even in it's half-finished state).

I know this was touched on a few days back but I also want to vouch for the game. As far as Early Access goes, it's been one of the smoothest experiences I've had and feels like an honest to god real game already.

The top down Stalker reference is pretty accurate, though you do feel pretty alone aside from the npcs who are pretty stationary. Story is interesting but a "figure it out as you go" type thing, and the setting and characters take center stage. Apparently what you do and whether or not you kill them (monster!) will change the game once later chapters are released.

As for gameplay, the visuals and sounds do a lot. Dragging a wardrobe across the floor and hearing it screech across the tile is awesome for some reason. And as the night falls you hope it and the barricades are enough.

I'm not too keen on having to drink from the well each night, but have a feeling that will open up to other options. Combat and inventory management is a bit of a bitch at first, and durability with weapons was a problem until the recent patch.

That said...holy poo poo. It isn't really a jump scare type of game at all, but at times really disturbing and has given me the feeling of uncertainty and doom.

The woods seem to border the area and are bad even during the day. But nightfall has been...interesting and chilling. Trying not to spoil anything but I feel that the devs will throw anything at you. I swear for a few nights my lights (with a half filled generator) didn't even work. Never was attacked, but night 4 they popped on halfway through. Yay!...or not. It was the first time I was assaulted.

One thing going for the game is that you can get pretty creative with the traps and items you have. It's not really obvious what you can do, but experiment.

I just found a shotgun, but only two shells so far. I could buy some more, if I could find the bastard on this run. But each update seems to be for the better, and adds some pretty significant changes.
"I survived the second night! But...what the gently caress, was my floor cracked like this before? Or am I just imagining it? :shepicide:" some weird poo poo happens in this game. I look forward to its progression.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What also helps is the field of view you have. While the basic details of the world can be seen at all times you need to actually look in a direction to see what is really happening. For instance you can see something pushing your barricades around but without looking directly you have no idea what is causing it. Same for things like characters and dead bodies; a room can look perfectly safe and clean until you get in there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ammo is scarce as gently caress if you are playing Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut and you pick Chris. One of the most difficult games I've ever played. I still never bothered to beat it, it was just too hard.

Yeah, the female characters seem to get more and better weapons in the series. If you rolled with Jill or Claire you got the grenade launcher and basically enough ammunition to steam roll everything. Playing as Leon was pretty tough the first go around because RE2 threw mobs of zombies at you and the handgun didn't cut it. One of the wings of the police station had 6+ zombies clumped up in the hallway. Claire could take them out in a single shot with a flame grenade but Leon had to use 4-5 headshots with the shotgun and that's if you can group them up. Same with the lickers; 2-3 shots for Leon, 1 acid round for Claire.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Yeah, I don't know why people misremember early RE games as being tense resource management games designed to force you to run past enemies. I always kill every monster I come across and end with a ridiculous amount of leftover ammo. Taking RE1 as the archetypal survival horror game there aren't actually that many enemies in it to begin with, I'd say there's less enemies in the entirety of RE1 than there is in a single chapter of the later post RE4 games.

Old RE games were exploration games. The difficulty of the enemies comes from the confinement of the environment RE1 was all tight corridors, tension comes from entering a room and not knowing what was in it. Entering a room and there being a single zombie in an 8x8 foot room was a big deal. Later games switched to wide open areas and crowd control. A lot of people complain about the backtracking in early RE games but thats a huge part of why I prefer them, dense levels that loop back on themselves and deciding which route to take to get somewhere was a game mechanic in itself.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

What also helps is the field of view you have. While the basic details of the world can be seen at all times you need to actually look in a direction to see what is really happening. For instance you can see something pushing your barricades around but without looking directly you have no idea what is causing it. Same for things like characters and dead bodies; a room can look perfectly safe and clean until you get in there.

The session I had the other day only lasted one day, if you don't find wood and nails to barricade your cabin you are probably pretty hosed. I had this jerk with black spiky tendrils instead of a face break in and beat me to death with a pipe. Ahhhhhhhh time to take a break.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Old RE games were exploration games. The difficulty of the enemies comes from the confinement of the environment RE1 was all tight corridors, tension comes from entering a room and not knowing what was in it. Entering a room and there being a single zombie in an 8x8 foot room was a big deal. Later games switched to wide open areas and crowd control. A lot of people complain about the backtracking in early RE games but thats a huge part of why I prefer them, dense levels that loop back on themselves and deciding which route to take to get somewhere was a game mechanic in itself.
The interconnectedness of RE games up to and including RE 4 is one thing I also really like about the series. I'm a sucker for open worlds like that - they give you a sense of place, like you are actually somewhere, instead of just playing through a succession of levels. It's another reason why I just couldn't really get into 5 and 6.

Dreadwroth posted:

The session I had the other day only lasted one day, if you don't find wood and nails to barricade your cabin you are probably pretty hosed. I had this jerk with black spiky tendrils instead of a face break in and beat me to death with a pipe. Ahhhhhhhh time to take a break.
Darkwoods sounds really cool, but I'm kind of conflicted on whether I should try it out now or wait until it's finished to see all the cool stuff at once.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dreadwroth posted:

Ha, yeah it can be unforgiving as hell. Note that it appears they do work with sight themselves. It's possible to survive in a closed room without barricades if you stay away from the windows. It's not a guarantee but they can choose to simply not explore a building if they don't know you're there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Darkwoods sounds really cool, but I'm kind of conflicted on whether I should try it out now or wait until it's finished to see all the cool stuff at once.

When it comes to Early Access games it's usually cheaper to hop in early so if I really, really like the concept I'll play until I get my fill then wait until it's finished and it's like I got a brand new game for free!

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I dunno if it's cool to post about these things here, but the first teaser trailer for the Pathologic remake is now up, and they seem to be ramping up to an ARG over at http://feverishfeeling.com

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

woodenchicken posted:

I dunno if it's cool to post about these things here, but the first teaser trailer for the Pathologic remake is now up, and they seem to be ramping up to an ARG over at http://feverishfeeling.com

Wow, I'm really excited over this. Pathologic seemed really interesting, but I couldn't get past the shoddy translation.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

rudecyrus posted:

Wow, I'm really excited over this. Pathologic seemed really interesting, but I couldn't get past the shoddy translation.

For me it was the control scheme that kept me away.

Excited! I'll be backing the kickstarter when it launches for sure.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think Pathologic will suddenly a lot less popular and charming once people can understand what's actually happening. The plot is actually really kind of dumb once you know what it's about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I think Pathologic will suddenly a lot less popular and charming once people can understand what's actually happening. The plot is actually really kind of dumb once you know what it's about.

I never finished it, but the appeal to me was the strange atmosphere and seemingly random nature of the events. I once tried to describe it to my sister as a game that takes place in a rural Russian village decimated by some kind of plague where you're constantly being stalked by pitch black men in funny masks and I witnessed villagers burning people at a stake before they turned and attacked me. Even if that's wholly inaccurate, that's the impression I got while playing.

I don't think a legible translation, fixed controls, and better graphics are going to negate the overall creepiness of its atmosphere.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The plot is kind of disturbing in it's own way. I mean yeah, taken at face value it's dumb but the idea that the Earth itself is sick and diseased, it's very fitting with the rest of the game I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe it's just me. I thought being stuck in a place where there's not only creepy poo poo going on but where you can't even meaningfully communicate with anyone added an extra layer of loneliness and despondency that it probably wouldn't have had with a decent translation. All the crazy talk really adds to the surreal atmosphere to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well even with a good translation the game would still a bit difficult to follow and the NPCs speak in antiquated and poetic ways even for Russian standards. So it'd still sound weird as hell in English I'd imagine, just not in broken English.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

Could be, but even in Russian it never explained itself completely, and there was no stated, "canon" explanation for everything (you could ultimately choose what to believe). The remake could potentially destroy this ambiguity, but I believe Dybovsky would never do something so crass. Judging by his interviews, he's putting a lot of thought into what he wants to say with this release.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

Could be, but even in Russian it never explained itself completely, and there was no stated, "canon" explanation for everything (you could ultimately choose what to believe). The remake could potentially destroy this ambiguity, but I believe Dybovsky would never do something so crass. Judging by his interviews, he's putting a lot of thought into what he wants to say with this release.
Thinking about it some more you're probably right. The Void was also very well-translated and still really atmospheric. When they have the budget to get things done probably those guys usually do a really good job.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

Ha, yeah it can be unforgiving as hell. Note that it appears they do work with sight themselves. It's possible to survive in a closed room without barricades if you stay away from the windows. It's not a guarantee but they can choose to simply not explore a building if they don't know you're there.

Ohhhh fuuuck I had a flare going, that's why the rear end in a top hat with the pipe found me! Hahahahah niiice Darkwoods, you win this round!

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I kinda forgot Resident Evil 6 existed, isn't it terrible?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Nah, I understood it thanks to woodchicken's LP and some other places and it just added to the charm. It's a real meta game that's not obnoxious about it and really takes advantage of being game to get across its themes.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This was posted a couple days ago, but I think you hit on a really good point. There were a lot of little scenes in Half-Life 2 that drove it home for me, such as when you're driving along the coastline and come across one of the scattered houses off by itself. If you check them out, some will have these pods that have crashed through the roof or landed nearby, and the only thing left alive are a few zombies. Along with the moody atmosphere, it really tells a bleak story. Even though the game is pretty linear, it makes you feel like you're part of a big, scary world where they just bombarded every living area with these things, and even being in a remote house no one was really safe.

This was also posted several days ago but I get the feeling most of those houses were resistance shelters rather than residential homes when they were bombarded. The Combine don't often use headcrabs because they are difficult to control and can actually pose a problem for their own occupation forces if it gets out of hand (which we started to see in Episode 1 with infested Combine soldiers.) Headcrab bombardment is intended to be a terror tactic, and its deployment against members of the resistance is intended to set an example of why you shouldn't resist the Combine. The Combine can just use regular old footsoldiers or bombardment if their goal is strategic. So, those houses and whatnot were resistance bases, not just average joe civilian homes, and Ravenholm was a massive resistance stronghold before it was bombarded.

I think this was mentioned in one of the commentaries somewhere.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It's the worst of the newer style games but it's not terrible. Leon's scenario is the best But the only one thats really bad is Chris'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I really liked it but then I played it on PC, fully patched. Apparently the console release versions were beyond garbage and a whole bunch of anti-frustration features had to be patched in.