Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I really don't want to do the Assault Rifle directives because it would mean using anything other than the Terminus. I silver'd the Terminus then switched to the Corvus to catch it up, and it felt like firing a muzzle-loaded rifle.

Why do all the VS assault rifles not named Terminus suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I feel the same way with the Orion and other VS LMGs.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I really don't want to do the Assault Rifle directives because it would mean using anything other than the Terminus. I silver'd the Terminus then switched to the Corvus to catch it up, and it felt like firing a muzzle-loaded rifle.

Why do all the VS assault rifles not named Terminus suck rear end.

The Corvus isn't terrible, and the H-V45 is still a very good gun.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Corvus isn't terrible, it's just objectively worse than pretty much any other 167 gun, because its DPS is horrifically low. It's accurate as gently caress, but my god will you be getting a shitload of assists unless your aim is loving perfect.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Aaod posted:

There are other VS LMG's that are actually good though, see the SVA-88 and Ursa.

Whereas I don't think anyone likes any VS assault rifle barring the Terminus.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
The Darkstar is pretty cool. :smug:

(the Terminus is still better in every way)

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I love the Terminus. That and the Orion are my go-to guns whenever I can't get over losing out on kills with the Corvus and Pulsar C, which are decent guns when compared to everything else the Vanu have.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Finished my MKV Suppressed aurax, not an awful gun, really, and pretty accurate at range despite low velocity. As I still need another SMG aurax i've moved on to the NS7-PDW. How do people who use the gun kit theirs out? I've been running it with Compensator and Ex-mags (+SPA/IRNV scope), but interested to see if other combinations are viable.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 8, 2014

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

roxxor5678 posted:

Sniper chat: I grinded out the last 600 kills to aurax the Gauss SPR last night and unlocked The Moonshot this morning. Unsurprisingly, the gun is disappointing and total garbage - an ultra long-range sniper rifle with a tiny 6x scope stuck to it that can't be switched out.

That said, doing so much sniping over the last couple of days to aurax things has temporarily returned me to MLG pro-gamer sniper levels, so I'm completely wrecking shop despite the gun being absolute trash. The amount of ragetells this thing attracts more than makes up for its awful attachments.

I tried to own with the SPR last night. It's tough to do :smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BobMcFartsens posted:

I tried to own with the SPR last night. It's tough to do :smith:

This is because it's a phenomenally bad weapon being used by a ridiculously good player

An NC Infil only really has two weapons - the Sasser and the Cyclone. Everything else is just entirely irrelevant

Edit - EU mergers in ~8 hours!

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 8, 2014

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

What

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Looks like a glitched out sentry dart?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Aaod posted:

Lies, all our LMGs are now rock-solid. The Ursa is weird because it's so close to the Flare but it's 1000c/700sc to buy, but it's not even a bad gun; It just suffers from lots of role-overlap while being the more expensive option. All our guns are good, legit sidegrades to the Orion.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Finished my MKV Suppressed aurax, not an awful gun, really, and pretty accurate at range despite low velocity. As I still need another SMG aurax i've moved on to the NS7-PDW. How do people who use the gun kit theirs out? I've been running it with Compensator and Ex-mags (+SPA/IRNV scope), but interested to see if other combinations are viable.

PDW is really nice, its drop off blows the other SMG's away and its basically a mini carbine. Dont use it up close in a straight fight though because unless your getting head shots your gonna lose. I use it on my LA comp/exmags/IRNV, my ping doesn't allow me to use SPA since the MV makes it impossible to hit moving targets. Its almost exactly like the NS11c except 125 dmg instead of 143 and no HVA.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Does this guy look sketchy? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/WakeTR i was fighting him tonight and his model wouldn't move but he'd land all head shots within 20m from a MSW. Hes weirdly not good as in i'd see him from the front and be blinded by vonics loving insane gamma setting during daylight and he'd body shot me a few times but other times he'd become this laser death machine, he had no sensors out.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

For anyone working through NC ARs, I highly recommend GR22 -> Carnage, it's a very natural progression. GR22 has higher base dps and SPA, but can only get a plain forward grip, while the Carnage loses some dps and SPA for an advanced forward grip and better range. By the time you're done with the GR22, you're basically all set for losing some damage for easier headshots. I kept ironsights for the GR22 but had to grab the 1x for the Carnage because the ironsights sucked.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arghy posted:

Does this guy look sketchy? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/WakeTR i was fighting him tonight and his model wouldn't move but he'd land all head shots within 20m from a MSW. Hes weirdly not good as in i'd see him from the front and be blinded by vonics loving insane gamma setting during daylight and he'd body shot me a few times but other times he'd become this laser death machine, he had no sensors out.

Looks a little sketchy to me. Like he might be toggling hacks on and off trying to avoid detection. Either that or he's just monster, monster good but only inconsistently and only for the past month and a week despite not playing for three months and being thoroughly mediocre for the five months before that.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Probably changed accounts, I don't see anything that suspicious there.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Might be this guy's alt account in which case the numbers make a little more sense. http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/WakeNC

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hailthefish posted:

Looks a little sketchy to me. Like he might be toggling hacks on and off trying to avoid detection. Either that or he's just monster, monster good but only inconsistently and only for the past month and a week despite not playing for three months and being thoroughly mediocre for the five months before that.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428139972582492945/killboard

Once you get past the vehicle whoring it's not like he's hitting a zillion headshots or anything.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428139972582492945/killboard

Once you get past the vehicle whoring it's not like he's hitting a zillion headshots or anything.

I love the 5 minutes or so where he and Arghy kill each other about 5 times each.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

I love the 5 minutes or so where he and Arghy kill each other about 5 times each.

Arghy hacks so anyone that kills him is a hacker.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Desideratus posted:

Lies, all our LMGs are now rock-solid. The Ursa is weird because it's so close to the Flare but it's 1000c/700sc to buy, but it's not even a bad gun; It just suffers from lots of role-overlap while being the more expensive option. All our guns are good, legit sidegrades to the Orion.

Really, the only thing that the VS is missing in terms of LMGs is a good large mag one. Something in the EM6/Rhino vein of 100 rounds/exmags. The Ursa's okay but it's sacrificing a lot to be both the VS' large mag and high damage options at once.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

It's also probably this guy http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/vswake

Tempest_56 posted:

Really, the only thing that the VS is missing in terms of LMGs is a good large mag one. Something in the EM6/Rhino vein of 100 rounds/exmags. The Ursa's okay but it's sacrificing a lot to be both the VS' large mag and high damage options at once.

Try the polaris.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Tempest_56 posted:

Flare
Exmags
SPA

150 rounds, and superior to the Ursa as long as you can compensate for recoil (it's kind of easier too since it's a bit more predictable).

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Chance posted:

Flare
Exmags
SPA

150 rounds, and superior to the Ursa as long as you can compensate for recoil (it's kind of easier too since it's a bit more predictable).

:shepface: (it is literally worse in every single recoil stat)

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

hailthefish posted:

Either that or he's just monster, monster good but only inconsistently and only for the past month and a week despite not playing for three months and being thoroughly mediocre for the five months before that.

This is me - about one infantry session in 10 I get an 8/9 kdr, and the rest of the time it's like 1.5 to 2

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Blasmeister posted:

Out of curiosity, why the Compensator on an SMG? I've never really had an issue running blank/Exmags on the PDW. SMG recoil is pathetic and the PDW has a 1.5 FSRM which makes the first shot kick a paltry 0.3, barely even worth worrying about (that's the sustained recoil on most ARs). Why sacrifice the hipfire? I'd just run nothing on the barrel, Exmags, and SPA (because holy poo poo max damage out to almost 20m) with a 2x Reflex. If you were going to run something higher-magnification for whatever reason, then maybe Comp/Grip/Nothing makes more sense, but otherwise I don't see the point.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Pand posted:

:shepface: (it is literally worse in every single recoil stat)

Yeah but that doesn't change that I found it incredibly easy to auraxium. Stats don't tell the whole story of how it will play. The higher rate of fire (for me) makes the kick more predictable and easier to compensate for. The Ursas more accurate "stats" but lower RoF make it all sorts of jumpy when you are actually trying to put down a lot of fire. It's not about which has better numbers, it's about which numbers fit better together.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Chance posted:

Yeah but that doesn't change that I found it incredibly easy to auraxium. Stats don't tell the whole story of how it will play. The higher rate of fire (for me) makes the kick more predictable and easier to compensate for. The Ursas more accurate "stats" but lower RoF make it all sorts of jumpy when you are actually trying to put down a lot of fire. It's not about which has better numbers, it's about which numbers fit better together.

Yeah okay, I guess we just have to agree to disagree here. I auraxed both and have the Ursa at slowfiring but very accurate and the flare is wobbly rattle stick in my memory. In fact I gave it another run on test to see if I remembered it correctly and yes still wobbly and bad.
Imo the only thing that the flare has going for it is the SPA and the price.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: nm

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

Out of curiosity, why the Compensator on an SMG? I've never really had an issue running blank/Exmags on the PDW. SMG recoil is pathetic and the PDW has a 1.5 FSRM which makes the first shot kick a paltry 0.3, barely even worth worrying about (that's the sustained recoil on most ARs). Why sacrifice the hipfire? I'd just run nothing on the barrel, Exmags, and SPA (because holy poo poo max damage out to almost 20m) with a 2x Reflex. If you were going to run something higher-magnification for whatever reason, then maybe Comp/Grip/Nothing makes more sense, but otherwise I don't see the point.

Try the PDW with a comp/grip/3.4x and it'll make sense, it sounds stupid but it's ridiculous in play. Only use the comp. on infil, go bare barrel on LA (map OP yo.)

The "holy poo poo" moment is when you out-shoot a shielded HA by chaining headshots at his optimal range because your gun has virtually no recoil.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 8, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

o muerte posted:

Try the PDW with a comp/grip/3.4x and it'll make sense, it sounds stupid but it's ridiculous in play. Only use the comp. on infil, go bare barrel on LA (map OP yo.)

I will try this before calling you insane for using a 3.4 scope with an smg.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

I will try this before calling you insane for using a 3.4 scope with an smg.

The recoil is so stupidly small, like I said, it sounds mental - but oh boy does it work.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's not entirely unthinkable; a compensator is what, 10-20% less vertical recoil? That makes every shot like 0.16-0.18 kick, that's not very much. My bigger issue would be the gun jerking side to side since even though it's the most controllable SMG it's still a SMG.

Still, I wouldn't put a Comp on there if I were just running and gunning. It doesn't need one with a 2x.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is there a trick to getting my sticky grenades to resupply

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I had that problem with my EMP grenades when my reserve stock ran out. It took several attempts at resupplying, class switching and checking/unchecking and equipping/unequipping EMPs to make it work but eventually it did and after that it worked every time.

I'll experiment with the scopes/comp or non-comp on the PDW as people suggest. I figured the hipfire on it was great as it was enough to not worry too much about the comp but perhaps I'm overvaluing the recoil reduction.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 8, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Your UI may actually be bugged. I thought mine weren't resupplying but they were, it was just showing me as having 0 grenades for some reason. I could still throw one if I had one.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
Did they nerf running people over in the latest patch? I snuck up on a HA with my lightning and ran him over from behind he didn't even try to dodge and instead of him dying he phased right through my tank. I circled 'round and ran him over again, same thing. He was moving smoothly, and nobody was warping around for me, so I don't think we were lagging... I will be very sad if I can no longer powerslide down a hill, smashing infantry as I go.

Edit: Friendlies that don't know to get out of the middle of the road still get run down fine

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
:siren: Some awesome person has updated the spergsheet with Auraxium weapon info AND tolerance stats! :siren:

So, let's do some comparisons:
  • T1 Cycler vs. T1A Unity: Unity supposedly has a baked-in Forward Grip and Compensator. Its Horizontal Recoil is 0.18 compared to the T1's 0.225 and its Vertical Recoil is 0.2565 compared to the T1's 0.27. Tolerance unchanged. Max damage range +20m.
  • Pulsar VS1 vs. Darkstar: Same attachments as the Unity. Horizontal is 0.16 vs. 0.2, Vertical is 0.209 vs. 0.22. Tolerance unchanged. Max damage range +20m.
  • NC1 Gauss vs. NC1A Gauss Prime: Same attachments as the Unity. Horizontal is 0.14 vs. 0.175, Vertical is 0.285 vs. 0.3. Max damage range +20m.
If this info is accurate to the attachments used on other guns, basic Forward Grips have no effect on tolerance and reduce horizontal recoil min-max on Assault Rifles by 20%, and Compensators reduce vertical recoil by 5% (seriously? :what:). Also, HVA adds 20m to the max damage range of Assault Rifles.

But let's try carbines next. They all get +5m min damage range, -25 m/s velocity from baked-in SPA. Stand Hipfire COF 1.5 vs. 1, Move Hipfire COF 2 vs. 1.34. Easy conclusions: SPA is +5m min damage range (which we knew) and hurts Carbine velocity by 25 m/s, which is... barely worth worrying about, honestly. Also, basic Laser Sights reduce Carbine hipfire COFs in all states by 33%.

OK, on to LMGs, as it's actually a bit interesting:
  • Gauss SAW vs. GODSAW: Supposedly has a Grip+Comp combo and Exmags. Horizontal Recoil from 0.175 to 0.14875. Vertical Recoil from 0.55 to... 0.55. Um, I guess it doesn't have a Compensator effect then. No change in Tolerance.
  • T9 CARV vs. T9A Butcher: Same issue with no Vertical change. Horizontal from 0.225 to 0.19125. Tolerance slightly lower than the CARV, at 0.85.
  • Orion VS54 vs. Betelgeuse 54-A: Same issue with no Vertical change. Horizontal from 0.2-0.225 to 0.17-0.19125. Tolerance also lower, at 0.85.
So... the Auraxium Compensator isn't a compensator, and its Forward Grip effect reduces horizontal recoil by 15% on LMGs. Also, for whatever reason, it also lowers the Tolerance of the Butcher and Betelgeuse by 0.05, but not the GODSAW. The GODSAW looks like it's a pile of crap and you should just use the Advanced Grip on the regular SAW. I am willing to guess that the ~15% vs. ~25% thing is accurate enough for LMGs though, they presumably just get less of an effect than other guns do. Dunno if tolerance reduction is part of their effect on LMGs however.

Battle Rifle min-max goes from 0.18-0.22 to 0.14-0.17, or about a 22% reduction from a Forward Grip. No Tolerance change there either. They only get about a 3% reduction in Vertical Recoil from Compensators though. Don't Comp your Battle Rifle I guess, it doesn't do poo poo (or maybe it does; see below).

Auraxium shotguns have better pellet spread than even the tight-spread models they're based on, at 2.5.

SMGs have built-in HVA and Exmags.
  • Armistice vs. Shuriken: Max damage range +8m, velocity +18 m/s. No change to Horizontal Recoil/Tolerance. Vertical Recoil from 0.15 to 0.225.
  • Eridani vs. Skorpios: Max damage range +8m, velocity +18 m/s. No change to Horizontal Recoil/Tolerance. Vertical Recoil from 0.2 to 0.3.
  • Cyclone vs. Tempest: Max damage range +8m, velocity +18 m/s. No change to Horizontal Recoil/Tolerance. Vertical Recoil from 0.24 to 0.36.
On SMGs, HVA increases the max damage range of SMGs by 8m, velocity by 18 m/s, and Vertical Recoil by 50%. Geez, that's basically a straight downgrade from SPA.

tl;dr: Forward Grips are good and AFGs are probably super good, same with Lasers, SPA's downside is unfathomably minor and HVA is probably really good on Carbines and ARs but lovely on SMGs. Compensators appear to be either broken or lovely.

EDIT: The Compensator effect may be screwed up by HVA though, so take that as you will. I don't think any of the Auraxium guns have Compensators and no HVA on them, and I'm not sure SMG HVA is the best exemplar of how HVA normally behaves. If Battle Rifle HVA were also 50% it'd push its vertical from 0.6 to 0.9 and then back down to 0.58, which is a 55% reduction.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread